Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='dalaamprince']Umm no? Look again.[/QUOTE]

There are 2 versions. One for PC, one for X360. The PC one was pennied at GS/EB a while ago. The 360 one was just pennied at BB recently.

Ohh alright, it must be the 360 one then. I have the 360 one from the BB drop already...so won't be needing it that bad.

Can someone maybe put a little "(PC)" next to that EB/GS FEAR guide then?

Warning to everybody, if all goes as planned, I should be able to provide the Best Buy guide drop list tomorow night when I go into work, assuming nobody else gets to it first.

[quote name='vahn401']Warning to everybody, if all goes as planned, I should be able to provide the Best Buy guide drop list tomorow night when I go into work, assuming nobody else gets to it first.[/quote]

Thanks in advance.:)

[quote name='Brian9824']Can't wait till tonight Vahn[/quote] [quote name='raisin'].[/quote] Hahahahahaha!

Yeah, I'm waiting, too. ;)

As of right now, Best Buy has still not released any information on the guide drop, so hopefully they do sometime tomorow, if not, we'll just have to see how things go come Monday. I'm trying to find anything I can, and I'm working both tomorow and monday, so like always, as soon as I find out the BBY drop, you'll know.

Another note, BBY did send out a message re-stating that penny guides should not be sold, then had a list of the most frequently sold penny guides, list we already have, but this is a scary sign that people are going to buckle down even more this drop.

[quote name='vahn401']As of right now, Best Buy has still not released any information on the guide drop, so hopefully they do sometime tomorow, if not, we'll just have to see how things go come Monday. I'm trying to find anything I can, and I'm working both tomorow and monday, so like always, as soon as I find out the BBY drop, you'll know.

Another note, BBY did send out a message re-stating that penny guides should not be sold, then had a list of the most frequently sold penny guides, list we already have, but this is a scary sign that people are going to buckle down even more this drop.[/QUOTE]

IIRC, they've cracked down before. A couple months later...like it never happened. That's my hope at least. Hopefully they won't get to be like my local TRU, who are complete Nazi's about it (how DARE they do their job, hehehe ;) )

[quote name='Zmonkay']IIRC, they've cracked down before. A couple months later...like it never happened. That's my hope at least. Hopefully they won't get to be like my local TRU, who are complete Nazi's about it (how DARE they do their job, hehehe ;) )[/quote]Turnover sort of kills any cumulative "crackdown" on policy things like this.

I bet they are gonna release the list on Monday am so we don't know what to stash and give the employees the best chance to clear it out, oh well, was nice while it lasted and goes to show you how much corporate cares about wasting trees!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But you know, the only statement I've ever heard regarding why I couldn't buy any/all of the guides I came up with when my local BB actually cracked down was 'because you're going to resell them on Ebay'.

I laughed at the manager who told me that, then told them that I'd thought about it and as it turns out, most guides are sold at a loss on Ebay within a week of stores getting rid of them. Furthermore, I told them that the only ones which may hold some future value are those for popular games.

I also told them that I'd rather grab them than see them end up as toilet paper or whatever the next company to buy the paper they're made of from a recycler will turn them into if they're not sent to a landfill.

I mean, that's what seems to happen to the Gamestop copies usually, they end up clogging up a landfill and sharing space with ET(Atari 2600), when they could've gone to a gamer who would USE them.

As I've been saying all along since my local GS's started cracking down on the guides, they should put a generic SKU on the guides once they're supposed to drop to .01. They could price them at like $2-3 and I'd be willing to bet that some would definitely sell at that reduced pricepoint.

As it is, I watched multiple copies of many guides sit on the shelves at many of the local GS stores till they got pennied, then they got tossed out like yesterdays trash. It still makes NO sense to me to have something priced @ $15-20 one day and the next, drop it to .01 and when someone finds one or ten that you missed, give them a hard time about it.

Anyway, enough of my rant, but unless something GOOD drops on Monday, I'll probably sit this next drop out.

actually one gamestop did put genetic sticker on their pennied guides for $.99. Sadly it is just a stack of SSX and NBA Street, which wont sell even at $1

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
As I've been saying all along since my local GS's started cracking down on the guides, they should put a generic SKU on the guides once they're supposed to drop to .01. They could price them at like $2-3 and I'd be willing to bet that some would definitely sell at that reduced pricepoint.
[/quote]

It's been explained time and time again why they don't do that.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

As it is, I watched multiple copies of many guides sit on the shelves at many of the local GS stores till they got pennied, then they got tossed out like yesterdays trash. It still makes NO sense to me to have something priced @ $15-20 one day and the next, drop it to .01 and when someone finds one or ten that you missed, give them a hard time about it.

Anyway, enough of my rant, but unless something GOOD drops on Monday, I'll probably sit this next drop out.[/QUOTE]

this has been explained ad nauseum....by throwing them out, they are getting reimbursed for the FULL PRICE of the guide from the publisher. the full price is MORE than the $2-3 you are proposing. if they tell the publisher they were field destroyed, take the reimbursement and then turn around and sell them for a couple of bucks, that would be against the publisher's rules, and most likely against the law.

With the rise of the net and sites like Gamefaqs and what not, I still don't see why most games get guides in the first place. I mean, the artwork in some of them is breathtaking, but in no way, shape or form is it worth $17.99 to $20 to me.

And, I do understand why they do what they do with the guides, though I still wish the publishers and game stores actually sold them at reasonable prices. I mean hell, I had the one kid who works as a media manager in BB who knows me as 'one of the guide guys' explain in detail what happens to them.

And he DID explain that once they yank them, they send the guides in bulk to a recycler or three for .10 per book. While not much, it still beats someone paying them .01, I suppose, even though NO ONE gets to actually USE the book once it hits the recyclers.

God, I miss the days of EB having used guides in stock for sale. I found many a good guide that way after they had 'disappeared'(been pennied) from the shelves.

As for not knowing 'why they do it', I KNEW, but I still think it's bull that these things cost so much for paper and ink. And, just like once comic books started going up over the $2 mark(way back when), I stopped buying guides for the same reason.

Of course, thanks to CAG(and alot of very friendly cashiers), I've bought hundreds of guides for less than the price of ONE recent guide.

Sunday and still no notice at Best buy. This method of not announcing both hurts and helps us CAGers I think. Last months drop was announced via a newsletter that best buy sends out to departments. This helped us because we had a warning to go and hide the guides, but hurt us because stores had more of an obvious warning as to which guides to pull.

This time there was no notice, and I believe its going to be a simple message that pops up Monday morning, so this will help us because if I can get the message before opening and post it here early enough, people should still have a chance finding the guides. Also, whenever guide drops are announced through these "morning duties" alot of stores just ignore whatevers there, mostly bigger stores. Hoping I can help you guys out, doing the best I can.

[quote name='vahn401']Sunday and still no notice at Best buy. This method of not announcing both hurts and helps us CAGers I think. Last months drop was announced via a newsletter that best buy sends out to departments. This helped us because we had a warning to go and hide the guides, but hurt us because stores had more of an obvious warning as to which guides to pull.

This time there was no notice, and I believe its going to be a simple message that pops up Monday morning, so this will help us because if I can get the message before opening and post it here early enough, people should still have a chance finding the guides. Also, whenever guide drops are announced through these "morning duties" alot of stores just ignore whatevers there, mostly bigger stores. Hoping I can help you guys out, doing the best I can.[/QUOTE]
Damn, I hope this is just your idea of an April Fool's joke. :lol:

[quote name='vahn401']Sunday and still no notice at Best buy. This method of not announcing both hurts and helps us CAGers I think. Last months drop was announced via a newsletter that best buy sends out to departments. This helped us because we had a warning to go and hide the guides, but hurt us because stores had more of an obvious warning as to which guides to pull.

This time there was no notice, and I believe its going to be a simple message that pops up Monday morning, so this will help us because if I can get the message before opening and post it here early enough, people should still have a chance finding the guides. Also, whenever guide drops are announced through these "morning duties" alot of stores just ignore whatevers there, mostly bigger stores. Hoping I can help you guys out, doing the best I can.[/QUOTE]

With all sincerity, I really appreciate you taking the time to check and to post back your findings, even if there currently are none. You are a true asset to CAG!! Thanks!

I'm in at work at 9, but i'll try to come in at 8:30 so I can get the news out to you guys as early as possible giving you more time to prepare or whatnot.

[quote name='vahn401']I'm in at work at 9, but i'll try to come in at 8:30 so I can get the news out to you guys as early as possible giving you more time to prepare or whatnot.[/QUOTE]

Cool....what time zone are you in?? I'm going to head out right at 10am Eastern and check myself, but if you are in the Eastern time zone, then I might check on here first.

Thanks Vahn! I'll try and swing by after classes tomorrow and see if I can find anything. Hopefully it's not picked over/destroyed before I get there (Here's hoping for FFIII!)

Also, I wonder what's up with this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat02171&id=1158323823136

Pokemon Ranger (DS). The pick is for the GBA version, and the DS version was pennied. You guys think it's a typo about the DS, or is BB.com no longer pennying online?

Rainbow Six Vegas guide disappeared from the best buy website. I hope I can grab a copy of it tomorrow when (if) it pennies out tomorrow. I'm hurting for that guide.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Thanks Vahn! I'll try and swing by after classes tomorrow and see if I can find anything. Hopefully it's not picked over/destroyed before I get there (Here's hoping for FFIII!)

Also, I wonder what's up with this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat02171&id=1158323823136

Pokemon Ranger (DS). The pick is for the GBA version, and the DS version was pennied. You guys think it's a typo about the DS, or is BB.com no longer pennying online?[/QUOTE]
the nintendo power version is pennied. The prima is full price.

[quote name='62t']the nintendo power version is pennied. The prima is full price.[/QUOTE]

Doh! Didn't notice the publisher. And I was wrong about the GBA thing too, confusing it with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Man, off night, eh?

[quote name='erehwon']I wonder if there's any chance of the Rogue Galaxy or FFXII guides being pennied?[/QUOTE]
Rogue Galaxy - no chance
FFXII - very low

I think the Rogue Galaxy one will get pennied out eventually, I just hope I can score one cause it might be a GH by the that time. The guide is huge though, it almost looks like it's actually worth retail ^_^

[quote name='chicagoz']Rainbow Six Vegas guide disappeared from the best buy website. I hope I can grab a copy of it tomorrow when (if) it pennies out tomorrow. I'm hurting for that guide.[/QUOTE]
So does this mean its just RSV if any on Monday?

[quote name='freshzen']So does this mean its just RSV if any on Monday?[/QUOTE]

Seems that's the only one to dissappear from the site, but Splinter Cell Double Agent, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Scarface, and Need for Speed Carbon are all possible candidates as well, as they are marked down to 9.99 already. Also, some guides drop straight to a penny instead of the 9.99 markdown first.

Anyone remember if FFV Advance got the markdown, or was straight to a penny?

Usually, any guide that dropped to $9.99 for a price point seemed to penny out next and right now, there's a bunch on BB's site @ that price:

List of guides to try tomorrow morning(assuming Vahn can't get the list prior to the stores opening):

Scarface: The World Is Yours(PS2,Xbox)
NFS Carbon
MK Armageddon
Splinter Cell Double Agent

Those are the only four at the $9.99 pricetag right now on BB's site, though it's NOT always a guarantee, as the Morrowind guide seemed to jump back UP in price to $19.99 after being $9.99 for MONTHS. However, I think that that was because Morrowind(on PC anyway) received another expansion of some sort.

Also, isn't MK Armageddon supposed to be coming out for PS3/360 now? In any case, if it is, that may explain if that drops, since Oblivion had a new version guide released that covered the PS3. Just a thought and a possible heads up of ones TO check, should Vahn not get the list up early tomorrow(assuming they drop anything this month in the first place).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I think FFV was straight to a penny and dammit, you beat me to the list of candidates for tomorrow. LOL[/QUOTE]

LOL. Simply proof that we both spend waaaaay too much time on here, lol.

LOL Yeah, but I've found I only spend alot of time on here at the beginning of a month anymore, since that's when the guides drop. Mind you, this month is going to be a crap shoot, since I don't think the local media employees would like it if I asked them to PC a copy of EACH guide till I find some pennied ones.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Seems that's the only one to dissappear from the site, but Splinter Cell Double Agent, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Scarface, and Need for Speed Carbon are all possible candidates as well, as they are marked down to 9.99 already. Also, some guides drop straight to a penny instead of the 9.99 markdown first.

Anyone remember if FFV Advance got the markdown, or was straight to a penny?[/quote]
If those are the ones that get pennied, I'm glad I picked them up when I could get them for $1.99.

We'll know in the morning, whatever they are.

Lego Star Wars 2 is also gone from the site. This could be one of the slow month where only 2-3 guides are pennied ouy

While we are waiting....so far, as Isee it, these are the ones that are possible for the drop:

Lego Star Wars II
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
Need For Speed: Carbon
Rainbow Six Vegas
Scarface: The World Is Yours
Splinter Cell: Double Agent

Rainbow Six Vegas
Gears of War? LE?

Any others that need to be added?

I'm glad from that list theres only 2 i'd care about Rainbow Six and GoW, especially since i cant go to bestbuy till around 3pm

Nothing at Best Buy today, I've checked high and low for an announcement, and even price checked every guide in the department, nothing has dropped. This is the day it usually happens, so I don't know whats going on. If I find anything out, I'll be sure to let you know. Until then, I wouldn't even bother going out and searching today.

[quote name='jaybsooner']While we are waiting....so far, as Isee it, these are the ones that are possible for the drop:

Lego Star Wars II
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
Need For Speed: Carbon
Rainbow Six Vegas
Scarface: The World Is Yours
Splinter Cell: Double Agent

Rainbow Six Vegas
Gears of War? LE?

Any others that need to be added?[/QUOTE]

According to the website, most of those are still $9.99, or are full price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back