Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I often see pulled guides back on the shelves a week or two later. Sometimes as I'm going for a new guide drop I'll see guides from the old drop. Occasionally they'll have different looking stickers on the front though and I'll be a little leary of buying them for fear that they just changed the upc symbol or something so that the guide will ring up at full price again.

I dropped by CC today and picked up two guides.

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures $1.58
Battalion Wars $3.96

If anyone else in Fort Wayne is interested, they had one other copy of the Battalion Wars guide. I think they also had copies of the Starfox Assult guide for $3.96.

[quote name='vahn401']In alot of circumstances the guides get pulled to the warehouse, but are never followed through with the destroying process, thus you see the guides get restocked onto the floor. Some once-a-week part-timer comes in and just does his media job of restocking anything he can from the warehouse to the floor[/quote]ha! That's beautiful. Joy for you and io and anyone else fortunate enough to have stores like that.

[quote name='guinaevere']ha! That's beautiful. Joy for you and io and anyone else fortunate enough to have stores like that.[/quote]
I know that's not my luck at the BB store nearest to my house.

I guess it's a sad state of affairs of when you think you can pick up guides at another BB, when it's 30+ miles away. :cry:

My local BB's used to be like that, so I hit one of them again recently, only to find that the clerks must've really destroyed them this time. No restocking the guides for me at these stores anymore, I suppose.

Wow, it is even more remarkable that I found an Enchanted Arms guide as that is from the 1/29 drop. I thought it was from the last one! Well, they definitely pulled a few out of the back in that case. Next time I'm there I should make sure I have the list with me (was just going off memory when I was there). They might have some more older ones.

I went this morning to get Castlevania DOS, and managed to find one Yoshi's Island DS guide and a whole bunch of Red Steel guides. Got the Yoshi's guide and 1 red steel. I also checked the pc section in terms of upcoming drops and the lego star wars II guides were gone. Will check another BB tomorrow.

Best buy will have their next guide drop next monday, April 2nd if all goes well. will provide drop list as soon as I find out, probably the Saturday prior (week from today).

[quote name='vahn401']Best buy will have their next guide drop next monday, April 2nd if all goes well. will provide drop list as soon as I find out, probably the Saturday prior (week from today).[/quote]

Sweet...spring break = NO work. I'll be there at opening. Thx for the info vahn!

[quote name='vahn401']Best buy will have their next guide drop next monday, April 2nd if all goes well. will provide drop list as soon as I find out, probably the Saturday prior (week from today).[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot, vahn. Your posts here are immensely appreciated!!

[quote name='vahn401']Best buy will have their next guide drop next monday, April 2nd if all goes well. will provide drop list as soon as I find out, probably the Saturday prior (week from today).[/QUOTE]

Excellent. Since the last drop, I've discovered that the person who throws out the guides at my local BB is a good friend of my best friend's wife. So this next drop should go a lot better for me. ;)

And I'm going on a college tour that day in Florida. Well, looks like I'll be stashing this time.

Any tips on BB stashing?

[quote name='loxthefox']And I'm going on a college tour that day in Florida. Well, looks like I'll be stashing this time.

Any tips on BB stashing?[/QUOTE]
Drier/Waching Machines, underneth shelfs, hidden behind anything that you know won't sell....

For anyone who gives a damn, Castlevania DOS guide is going for $8 at Gamecrazy.

Not quite a penny, but considering it's $20 cover price, not too bad a deal.

[quote name='freshzen']Drier/Waching Machines, underneth shelfs, hidden behind anything that you know won't sell....[/QUOTE]

Hide em behind PS3s!

[quote name='Zmonkay']Hide em behind PS3s![/quote]And don't let LP catch you hiding stuff.

Good way to get kicked out of the store and served with a "person non grata" request at the door.

[quote name='shrike4242']And don't let LP catch you hiding stuff.

Good way to get kicked out of the store and served with a "person non grata" request at the door.[/quote]

"But I was only hiding it so you couldn't throw it away."

[quote name='sonderiaom']"But I was only hiding it so you couldn't throw it away."[/quote]
If nothing else, that statement should confuse the heck out of the LP folks. :rofl:

[quote name='loxthefox']For anyone who gives a damn, Castlevania DOS guide is going for $8 at Gamecrazy.

Not quite a penny, but considering it's $20 cover price, not too bad a deal.[/QUOTE]
Is that still the price? I bought the nicest looking one of the 3 out on the floor at one store about 6 weeks ago. The other two are really beaten up I'm hoping to get them for a penny one day :)

Ok, guys... I'm sure this has been asked before, but I didn;t have time to read the last thread, and I didn;t see it in this one when looking through...

Saw several copies of Yoshi's Island guide at TRU today. When I checked out I asked the guy to tell me what it scanned for - I know that was probably stupid, but I didn't want to get charged $15 for it and then have to return it.

So instead of scanning it, he was a jerk about pointing to the price on the back of the book :roll: (WTH is so hard about a price check... we were standing right by the register and I was buying something else anyway?) So I told him to forget it. I should have told him to forget the rest of my purchase too :p Anyhow... do these guides scan at a penny consistently at TRU, or can it be YMMV? I'm fairly shy and I would feel funny going through the process of buying them, only to have them ring up at $15 and then need to tell them to cancel the whole purchase because I didn't think they cost the price that they're clearly marked :lol:

Does TRU give you any crap about buying something for a penny? As a rule, I mean... I'd be willing to bet this guy today would have given me some :p

Anyhow, sorry if I'm being a N00B, but I haven't tried this before, so not sure what to expect.

[quote name='PleasantOne']Does TRU give you any crap about buying something for a penny? As a rule, I mean... I'd be willing to bet this guy today would have given me some :p

Anyhow, sorry if I'm being a N00B, but I haven't tried this before, so not sure what to expect.[/quote]

Beng able to buy penny guides usually varies by cashier. Policy is to not sell them, but to destroy them (throw them out). But some cashiers don't know/care and will sell them.

You will have to learn that being a cheapass means politely asking the dumbass employees to scan merchandise. :D Even if it means saying you don't want it. It will save you time and frustration later on.

Yoshi's Isalnd is currently only pennied at Best Buy I believe. Some wonderful young ladies (Guin, 6669) have put together a great resource to check which guides are pennied at which stores. Links are on the first page of this thread.

[quote name='PleasantOne']Ok, guys... I'm sure this has been asked before, but I didn;t have time to read the last thread, and I didn;t see it in this one when looking through...

Saw several copies of Yoshi's Island guide at TRU today. When I checked out I asked the guy to tell me what it scanned for - I know that was probably stupid, but I didn't want to get charged $15 for it and then have to return it.

So instead of scanning it, he was a jerk about pointing to the price on the back of the book :roll: (WTH is so hard about a price check... we were standing right by the register and I was buying something else anyway?) So I told him to forget it. I should have told him to forget the rest of my purchase too :p Anyhow... do these guides scan at a penny consistently at TRU, or can it be YMMV? I'm fairly shy and I would feel funny going through the process of buying them, only to have them ring up at $15 and then need to tell them to cancel the whole purchase because I didn't think they cost the price that they're clearly marked :lol:

Does TRU give you any crap about buying something for a penny? As a rule, I mean... I'd be willing to bet this guy today would have given me some :p

Anyhow, sorry if I'm being a N00B, but I haven't tried this before, so not sure what to expect.[/QUOTE]

Never do anything to draw attention to a possible penny guide (or any other deal). Don't ask about the deal, don't ask for a price check.

Just take the items to the register, have them scan them, and if the items don't ring up at the price you like, simply cancel the transaction. I usually say something like, "Nevermind, I thought they were on sale" or "Oops, I forgot my cash at home, sorry." If you have multiple items and want to buy some, just say, "I changed my mind, please remove x, y, and z."

[quote name='PleasantOne']Ok, guys... I'm sure this has been asked before, but I didn;t have time to read the last thread, and I didn;t see it in this one when looking through...

Anyhow, sorry if I'm being a N00B, but I haven't tried this before, so not sure what to expect.[/QUOTE]

Um just tell them to ring it up. If the total is not what you want just tell them you changed your mind.

At my local TRU they give me a lot of trouble buying pennied guide but it could be different at your store.

Picked up the last of a Final Fantasy V for a penny at Best Buy on Saturday. Went back the next day to try to grab Yoshi's Island guide for a penny. I went up to the cashier, rang it up, then this higher up (looked like a manager, maybe wrong) came over and said I wasn't allowed to buy them and took them... the funny thing was they restocked the FFV guides the same day even though they were a penny also.
I was pretty pissed that the dude would just take them, but I was already using reproduced coupons for $10 off other things so I didn't want to start anything lol. At least I grabbed FFV guide for a penny before they caught it :)

Thanks so much for the help, guys! I *think* YI is still pennied at TRU, unless maybe I don't understand the list... ??

I'm going to stop back next time I'm in the area and feel out the Rzone people... if they seem cool, I think I'll try it. I'll keep my big mouth shut this time, though! ;)

Thanks again! :)

[quote name='PleasantOne']Thanks so much for the help, guys! I *think* YI is still pennied at TRU, unless maybe I don't understand the list... ??

I'm going to stop back next time I'm in the area and feel out the Rzone people... if they seem cool, I think I'll try it. I'll keep my big mouth shut this time, though! ;)

Thanks again! :)[/QUOTE]
umm it is not on the list.

[quote name='shrike4242']And don't let LP catch you hiding stuff.

Good way to get kicked out of the store and served with a "person non grata" request at the door.[/quote]

Well, considering my local BB's policy of yanking guides anymore lately, they have nothing I really want anymore. Though, I do have one of those 2 year extended warranty things with them for my Xbox, so I guess I should stay on their good side.

I already took it upon myself to stash a LE GOW II guide behind one of those huge Logitech Racing Wheel boxes. Though, knowing my luck, they'll get orders to reorganize the game section and shift stuff around the DAY BEFORE that guide drops.

I mean, wtfh is with guide pubs publishing $30-40 'limited edition' guides anymore. Who the HELL buys these things at full price? I mean, really, $17-20 per guide is pushing it imo, so @ $30, I'd never buy the damned things.

Admittedly, since joining CAG the only recent game and guide combo I've thought about splurging on(since MK Armageddon) is GOW II. But, I have strong willpower to hold out for a major price drop(like just happened on Bully this week @ CC.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
I already took it upon myself to stash a LE GOW II guide behind one of those huge Logitech Racing Wheel boxes. Though, knowing my luck, they'll get orders to reorganize the game section and shift stuff around the DAY BEFORE that guide drops.[/quote]

That's going a little overboard IMO. The game just came out, they could sell it before it drops(if it even does) in the months to come. Stashing the day or so before a known drop is one thing, that's another. ;)

[quote name='62t']umm it is not on the list.[/quote]

When I load the wiki page and go down to the TRU section, it lists it there... could I be seeing an outdated page or something?

I was at my best buy in West Palm Beach And They had some of the guides up by the registers with a PRICE Tag attached to them for 1 penny so I don't understand why a manager would not let you buy one. Just to name a few I saw.

Superman Returns
Bully
15,000 Codes Summer 06

[quote name='Trevor']Never do anything to draw attention to a possible penny guide (or any other deal). Don't ask about the deal, don't ask for a price check.
Just take the items to the register, have them scan them, and if the items don't ring up at the price you like, simply cancel the transaction."[/quote]
Words to live by. My technique is to get a game I want along with the guides. For example, today I found a copy of New Super Mario Bros. strategy guide at EB Games, which I knew was pennied out. I found a like-new, complete used copy of Brain Age, which I've been wanting to get for a while, for 17.99 + tax. I took both to the register to buy them and played dumb. I could tell the cashier was confused but didn't say anything. I didn't say anything either. In the end he just said, "ok, it's $17.50 for both" (I used my 10%-off-used-games card), and that was the end of it.

Yesterday I found a copy of Final Fantasy I and II Dawn of Souls strategy guide at CC and I brought it up to the register along with the games Bully and Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney and GCN Cars (all on sale). The strategy guide wasn't even in the system anymore:lol: so the cashier called his manager, manager wanted to charge me full price for it:bomb: I just said, forget it, I just wanted to do a price check on it, bought the games I wanted and left. You win some, you lose some. But never mention "pennied out".

[quote name='PleasantOne']When I load the wiki page and go down to the TRU section, it lists it there... could I be seeing an outdated page or something?[/quote]Not an outdated page, no.

I believe that's one of the older Yoshi's Island game guides (snes?). As in, not the DS game version. Because the Yoshi Island DS guide hasn't dropped yet at TRU to my knowledge.

[quote name='guinaevere']Not an outdated page, no.

I believe that's one of the older Yoshi's Island game guides (snes?). As in, not the DS game version. Because the Yoshi Island DS guide hasn't dropped yet at TRU to my knowledge.[/quote]

OHHHH! Gotcha! Thanks much :) for posting the list, too! Everyone here at CAG is so great! :applause:

[quote name='guinaevere']Not an outdated page, no.

I believe that's one of the older Yoshi's Island game guides (snes?). As in, not the DS game version. Because the Yoshi Island DS guide hasn't dropped yet at TRU to my knowledge.[/QUOTE]
It's the GBA one hun :p

I don't know if this belongs here, but I don't know where else to put it; For anyone looking to use the Nintendo published Yoshi's Island DS guide from the recent drop as opposed to trading it; don't. Nice layout, but It has several inaccuracies in regards to item location and map layout that are intensly frusterating. I'm playing through the game right now with the guide and it's very dissappointing. The paperback third party guide seems much more helpfull. FYI.

[quote name='Pookymeister']That's going a little overboard IMO. The game just came out, they could sell it before it drops(if it even does) in the months to come. Stashing the day or so before a known drop is one thing, that's another. ;)[/quote]

Well, considering I had at least all of the Sunday before the last drop to get my lazy CAG ass to BB to hide some KH II and Bully guides since that would be the only way to get any guides this past drop. Instead, I stuck my foot out the door, said 'it's too cold out' and went back to playing (insert name of game I bought dirt cheap thanks to CAG).

So, if I don't hide one now(like I tried with the Oblivion guides last), I know I never will. The only sucky part is, people keep either bumping into that oversized wheel box or someone actually bent down to look at it and moved it JUST a lil bit.

Of course, it exposed the one end of the guide I had stashed there, so I had to readjust it yesterday when I went to PM Bully.

I'd have tried to stash it under a shelf or behind some WOW Atlases, but the store had ummm too many employees working the day I decided to stash it.

My luck with hiding stuff in stores isn't that good, though I will admit that the RE Nemesis and GTA III guides I stuck between two bookshelves about 2-3 months ago at a thrift shop were still there when I finally fished them out to try buying. But, they wouldn't budge on the prices of $3.99 and $4.99, so I stuck em back behind the shelves. LOL Honestly, to me, they get the shit for free, but overprice ANYTHING game related.

Can you say $19.99 for a Playstation which may be nothing more than an overglorified doorstop? I can, since I bought one from them(for only $5, thank God) and it was DEAD, and since they didn't have the right kind of wires to even allow me to test it I was stuck.

Anyway, good luck to all on this next round of guide drops, as there's nothing I really want from it and I doubt I'm gonna waste my time even looking the day of the drop. Now, once GOW II's guides DO drop, I may run up there n be at the door the morning of the drop....but that's a diff story altogether.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Can you say $19.99 for a Playstation which may be nothing more than an overglorified doorstop? I can, since I bought one from them(for only $5, thank God) and it was DEAD, and since they didn't have the right kind of wires to even allow me to test it I was stuck.
[/quote]

Wait a sec, you paid $5 at a thrift store for a Playstation and actually thought it would WORK? :lol:

Anyway, at my local BB guides from the last drop keep appearing stickered at 1 cent. Last week I found a Red Steel and GH II guides and today sitting right in front on the shelf was a Saints Row marked at a penny. Where are the extra Dead Risings dammit?!

roc's feather;2782262 said:
I don't know if this belongs here, but I don't know where else to put it; For anyone looking to use the Nintendo published Yoshi's Island DS guide from the recent drop as opposed to trading it; don't. Nice layout, but It has several inaccuracies in regards to item location and map layout that are intensly frusterating. I'm playing through the game right now with the guide and it's very dissappointing. The paperback third party guide seems much more helpfull. FYI.
the problem with the third party guide is that it doesnt have full map. So I guess I have to use 2 guides?

[quote name='lawdood']Wait a sec, you paid $5 at a thrift store for a Playstation and actually thought it would WORK? :lol:

Anyway, at my local BB guides from the last drop keep appearing stickered at 1 cent. Last week I found a Red Steel and GH II guides and today sitting right in front on the shelf was a Saints Row marked at a penny. Where are the extra Dead Risings dammit?![/quote]

Actually the Playstation was $10 originally, but it was 50% off that day. However, I've seen other ones more recently for $19.99 that looked like they were dipped in diarrhea and allowed to dry that way. It still amazes me what these "thrift" stores charge for stuff they get for free and rarely actually take the time to clean. The only stuff I feel they actually DO clean before putting it out is the used furniture, though some of that looks like it it was dropped in 10 mud puddles on the way to being donated somtimes.

It all depends on the store, I suppose.

So I got price checks on Oblivion and Lego Star Wars II at my local BB, and they both came up at $19.99 and $9.99, respectively. Is there something special I need to do to get these at $0.01? :whistle2:?

[quote name='Otaking']So I got price checks on Oblivion and Lego Star Wars II at my local BB, and they both came up at $19.99 and $9.99, respectively. Is there something special I need to do to get these at $0.01? :whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

You didn't do anything wrong. They just aren't pennied. The OLD Oblivion (Pre Knights of Nine etc) edition was pennied, and Lego Star Wars 2 hasn't been yet (I don't think).

This is just an FYI. I'm leaving town for the next couple weeks or so. I will be bringing my laptop so I may be able to update the wiki as needed.

More importantly, if the guide for FFIII drops and I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere, pick it up for me. ;)

[quote name='guinaevere']This is just an FYI. I'm leaving town for the next couple weeks or so. I will be bringing my laptop so I may be able to update the wiki as needed.

More importantly, if the guide for FFIII drops and I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere, pick it up for me. ;)
[/quote]

I will miss your witty posts, have fun!!!

I spotted the FEAR guide (Prima) at a local EB Games, so I go to buy it (it's marked at $15.99) but I know it's pennied. So I tried getting that and a WoW Game Card but the guide rang up as $9.99.

Screw that. =(

[quote name='dalaamprince']I spotted the FEAR guide (Prima) at a local EB Games, so I go to buy it (it's marked at $15.99) but I know it's pennied. So I tried getting that and a WoW Game Card but the guide rang up as $9.99.

Screw that. =([/quote]
You've misread the lists. FEAR is not pennied at EB.
It IS however pennied at Best Buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back