Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XII(Stock locator trick FAQ added to OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

To expand on this, if you come off as DEMANDING, then you'll likely be barred from the store and possibly banned from ALL of their stores entirely. Moreover, you may be charged with trespassing if you continue to press this, as retail stores are PRIVATE PROPERTY.

The penny price is NOT an actual price that the stores HAVE to sell the merchandise for, it is a 'marker' in their system to the employees to pull/destroy those items. The fact that we as CAG's get ANY of these means that employees are not doing their jobs correctly and we are very lucky to even get them in the first place.

So don't press your luck and ruin it for everyone by being an asshole to a manager/cashier who just wants to keep their job by doing what they're supposed to.

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price or 3) There are multiple versions of the guide and the one you grabbed is a newer version that has NOT pennied as of yet. Some examples of this are: The Godfather and Oblivion.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Best Buy Stock Locator FAQ to find stock for deleted SKU's(works for games and guides):

Here's a good little trick that some of you may already know. If you want to find out if your local Best Buy has stock of an item, but the page(and SKU) for it has been deleted you can STILL find/create a stock locator page for it.

Here's how to do it:

Google the item you're looking for the SKU for. Once you find it, take that SKU and copy/paste it into the URL for another item's stock locator page on BestBuy.com after where it says skuID=(example: blahblahblahblahskuID=2085453), then hit enter to reload the page with the new SKU in place of the old one and search away.:D

Unfortunately no such method exists for Gamestop at this time.

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

PLEASE USE THE THREAD TOOLS DROP DOWN MENU TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEW THREAD, RATHER THAN WASTING A POST TO POST 'TAGGED'. THANKS!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jaybsooner']Few more drops a Gametophyte today:
Splinter Cell Conviction
Lego Indiana Jones 2
NCAA Football 11 (spiral-mini)
Tron Legacy (spiral-mini)
Metal Gear Peace Walker (spiral-mini)
Lunar Something for PSP
Alan Wake Reg. Ed.
Dante's Inferno
Just Cause 2

All .01 Unfortunately a bunch of these already previosly dropped at Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

Gametophyte? No comprende.

Sorry, was typing on my phone.......don't know what Gametophyte is either...Phone finished typing for me. Its been corrected. Cant post in red on my phone. Wanted to get in posted asap. Sorry.

[quote name='jaybsooner']Sorry, was typing on my phone.......don't know what Gametophyte is either...Phone finished typing for me. Its been corrected. Cant post in red on my phone. Wanted to get in posted asap. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

No apology necessary, a list is a list regardless of whether it's in red or not.

Thanks for the new guide list, jaybsooner.

I think since a number of these previously dropped @ BB, there might be less demand for them. Though, some CAGs work miracles at BB and nothing at GS, as well as vice versa.

Second and third posts are re-updated.
[quote name='neocisco']No apology necessary, a list is a list regardless of whether it's in red or not.[/QUOTE]
Except when the thread is moving at 300mph during a BB drop or something and posts mentioning which ones drop get lost in the shuffle.:cry:

Then it's almost required, since half the posts become mini trade lists.

[quote name='neocisco']No apology necessary, a list is a list regardless of whether it's in red or not.[/QUOTE]
Except when the thread is moving at 300mph during a BB drop or something and posts mentioning which ones drop get lost in the shuffle.:cry:

Then it's almost required, since half the posts become mini trade lists.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Shit. That's one I'd likely want. Too bad I'm not on good terms with the people at my GS stores anymore.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I actually just bought one from GS at full price the other day :whistle2:#. It's become tough to find. There were only a couple stores in my area that still had it.

Too bad I didn't know I was going to find the game from Blockbuster's BOGO sale, as I would've likely used the 50% off guide sale they had a while back to grab it at one of the stores I remember seeing it at locally last month.

I can confirm the drop today of the guides posted except dragon age, the Gamestop I went to didn't have it at all.

Also the PC games that dropped for those interested were
Assassins Creed
Brother in Arms Hells Highway
Farcry 2
Prince of Persia
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
(all the games are in the mini sleeves)

Also the Assassins Creed comic dropped as well, managed to snag 2 copies of it.

Unfortunately, I went into Gamestop #1789 (Weslayan) & the bald guy said they were going to be destroyed and I couldn't buy them anymore :whistle2:( I'm crossing that place from the list. The one time I was lucky at Gamestop was when there were only females working in the store.

I wish I had gotten that update from jay before I left, I saw some of those at another store still on the rack :whistle2:( Oh and I stopped by BB and saw the ODST guides at $4.99. They had at least 30+ of them on the shelf :lol:

Went back to the GS I caught off-guard yesterday. Didn't work, of course. They made sure to destroy them first thing this morning.

I got LP2 frrom 1 gs a never tried before They ripped off the front cover though.Going tommorrow to try the 2 other stores I always do well at.

[quote name='slowdive21']I guess I called it again. Lunar guide, we were so close to being together.[/QUOTE]
That's why I bought it when GS had their 50% off guide sale. As a GS exclusive, I knew I would never see it for a penny.

I went back to the GS that denied me last night on the MGS4 guides they had on the floor behind the counter.

I asked about any Alan Wake guides, nice guy went and got me one out of the back and gave to me. That was cool of him.

[quote name='Ultragamer']I can confirm the drop today of the guides posted except dragon age, the Gamestop I went to didn't have it at all.

Also the PC games that dropped for those interested were
Assassins Creed
Brother in Arms Hells Highway
Farcry 2
Prince of Persia
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
(all the games are in the mini sleeves)

Also the Assassins Creed comic dropped as well, managed to snag 2 copies of it.[/QUOTE]

How much was AC1 PC?

[quote name='bobphone']How much was AC1 PC?[/QUOTE]
:roll:Really? You can't read back a half page or so? What price are the guides that're listed in this thread usually
No one tell him to look in the second post to figure this out. Let's see if he gets it on his own.
?

There's your answer.;)

[quote name='Dwarf41']IATCG, you might want to change the drop date to 1/26/11 in the 2nd and 3rd posts. It shows 1/26/10 now.[/QUOTE]
Thank you very much. Apparently I had a brain fart and didn't even realize I borked the year.;)

[quote name='bobphone']How much was AC1 PC?[/QUOTE]
See below, which was back less than a page.
[quote name='stoned99']haha forget penny guides, they pennied out a bunch of pc games yesterday, they call them sleeve games. The ones I remember are Prince of Persia, Far Cry 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, and about 5 others. Just ask your store to print out a list of games < 2$ and then your in the know :)[/QUOTE]

My GS had penny stickers on some of the guides, lol. Only got guides to games I own. My friend grabbed a bioshock 2 le guide which surprised me since that drop was in October.

Add the guide for sims 3 ambitions and some crayola studio software to the list.

Dumpster diving pays off from time to time. :D

One of my GS has been good (or maybe it's bad) at having penny guides out recently but they have also been good at denying the sale. I stiil have no idea how they let me have the Starcraft II LE that I got several weeks ago. I was buying several guides at 50% off so that may have been why they let it slide. I'll try my luck with this drop later on today.

As of yesterday, the Gamestop in the Crossroads Mall in Portage MI (Kalamazoo) had the following guides:
Left for Dead 2
God of War III
Crackdown 2 (x2)

I was sort of bummed they didnt have MGS4 and/or Enslaved. Oh, well.

[quote name='aspen1284']Can anyone confirm these CE guides? Would love to snag one of each!!![/QUOTE]
I can confirm. I just got the DR2 one

my gamestop had a STACK of them on the racks still for the brotherhood collectors and dead rising 2 argh ill be stopping again in the morning. got declined on 2 lunar guides as well going to try with a diff employee tomorrow with the ill do reserves trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish my GS would sell me penny guides...I tried every single store last week and they each had a few and they refused to sell them.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']That's why I bought it when GS had their 50% off guide sale. As a GS exclusive, I knew I would never see it for a penny.[/QUOTE]

So that is why I didn't see it anywhere else. :dunce:

Some personal matters prevented me from heading out yesterday, but I managed to get Lunar, MGS4 and a Vanquish guide from last month's drop from a GS that is normally very strict when it comes to pulling penny guides.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I added the Assassin's Creed Brotherhood CE, Dead Rising 2 CE and Sims 3: Ambitions guides to the second and third posts.

Thanks dabamus.[/QUOTE]

Are the CE guides the hardcover editions?

Yes. I just picked up a bunch at bb from last October. 8 of which were singularity, and 3 of which were tagged as a penny.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']Can add Fallout 3 GOTY to the list.[/QUOTE]

I picked up FO3 GOTY at 50% off during the recent sale and I'm glad I did. I had a hard enough time finding a copy then. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to find now.

I bought the Assassins Creed Brotherhood CE and the Dead Rising 2 CE and never opened them and still have the reciepts. What should I do?

[quote name='Envel']I bought the Assassins Creed Brotherhood CE and the Dead Rising 2 CE and never opened them and still have the reciepts. What should I do?[/QUOTE]

Enjoy them. If you return them, I promise that they'll give you a full refund and then deny you rebuying them at a penny. You would have to get lucky and get a disgruntled employee on his last day to pull off something like that. A day-one, slightly moronic newbie, who has been left alone in a crowded mall store on a Saturday afternoon, might let you do it, too.

Add Zelda Spirit Tracks collectors to the list. Took a look in the dumpester and found 3. Also Super Mario galaxy 2 collectors as well.

4 GameStops, no pennied guides. I knew it'd be futile but all the CEs dropping made me feel the effort may be worth it. 1 store had 1 SC:C, but refused to sell it.

So off to the tradelists I go.

[quote name='eugaet']4 GameStops, no pennied guides.[/QUOTE]

Ditto to 4. I saw Spirits Tracks at one GS if that turns out to be on the list, but didn't know - plus already have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back