Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RabbitSuit']1. Have cash in hand for full.
2. Have out your membership card.
2.1. Don't have membership card? Ask for one.
2.2. Buying multiple? When it rings up say, "Well, since they're not full price like I thought, I'll have some extra cash. Can you tell me about the pro-membership?"
3. Act surprised.
4. Chat with them.[/QUOTE]

Yes! I am in a signature! :applause:

Don't know if this was posted, GOW3 RE and LE Guides are half off at Best Buy ($9.99 and $16.99). Use your Gamers Coupon for 50% off that and you have a pretty good deal if you didn't want to wait for them to penny out. WARNING: One of the main reasons I wanted the LE was for the Soundtrack 'Sampler' - didn't know it was so lame though (9 tracks, 9 minutes total). Oh well...

I think it should help that they are busy and asking for a membership was also a good idea. Do you think it would help to actually buy a game with it as well? I've been looking into Mario Kart 7 or Super Mario World for the 3DS, and I have a $100 gamestop giftcard anyways.

[quote name='Dark Rider']Picked up a Fallout: New Vegas CE guide at a nearby GS. Had to wait in line for 35 minutes, but it was totally worth it.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I thought I missed a drop and almost ran out the door before I realized that I already have Fallout NV CE. Lol

[quote name='CaptainPickles']I think it should help that they are busy and asking for a membership was also a good idea. Do you think it would help to actually buy a game with it as well? I've been looking into Mario Kart 7 or Super Mario World for the 3DS, and I have a $100 gamestop giftcard anyways.[/QUOTE]

It certainly can't hurt to try if you're already planning on buying a game. IMO, you should go up with the guide and a game. If they won't sell/give you the guide then just decline to buy the game. With a lost sale about to walk out the door, odds are pretty good they'll give it to you. If not, still pass on the game and just go buy it at another GS.

:lol: Ahhh. The old 'buy something besides the pennied guide to mask the sale' routine. Funny stuff.

The people around here are either completely cool with realizing they made a mistake and letting you have the guides for free after they scan them outta the system OR they're complete hardasses and will proceed to lecture you about pennied guides and then still deny you even though they obviously missed said guides.

Either that or option 3 may occur, where they rip off either the front or back cover(sometimes both:cry:) and then hand you the remnants of the guide for free.:roll: Yeah. It's better than not getting anything, but trying to trade/sell that bitch when you're done with it will get a LOT of 'no fuckin' way' responses especially around here.
[quote name='RabbitSuit']1. Have cash in hand for full.
2. Have out your membership card.
2.1. Don't have membership card? Ask for one.
2.2. Buying multiple? When it rings up say, "Well, since they're not full price like I thought, I'll have some extra cash. Can you tell me about the pro-membership?"
3. Act surprised.
4. Chat with them.[/QUOTE]
Before I was banned by GS I did a TON of trading and as such had a shitload of really cheap credit, so I was doing pre-orders with whoever was on shift at my closest GS AND I was picking up and KEEPING those pre-orders too.

The trade off? Walking out with between 2-10 guides EVERY TIME some pennied that I happened to want without having to pull the old 'surprised' act.

Ahhh. I miss those days. Someone at one of the better GS stores woulda likely hooked me up with a free DC Universe Online CE or standard for PS3 if I wasn't banned.:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol: Ahhh. The old 'buy something besides the pennied guide to mask the sale' routine. Funny stuff.[/QUOTE]

No "masking" involved in my suggestion, merely incentivizing the employee to let the guide go so as not to lose a sale. Either the guide goes out the door with the game or no game goes out the door.

[quote name='neocisco']No "masking" involved in my suggestion, merely incentivizing the employee to let the guide go so as not to lose a sale. Either the guide goes out the door with the game or no game goes out the door.[/QUOTE]
I like this, since it plays to their sales acumen. If their DM is a hardass it really doesn't matter tho'.

[quote name='neocisco']No "masking" involved in my suggestion, merely incentivizing the employee to let the guide go so as not to lose a sale. Either the guide goes out the door with the game or no game goes out the door.[/QUOTE]
Except that their sales prices suck unless they're having a B2G1 and even then it's near impossible to find complete/mint copies of games all at one store most times.

Besides which, I have enough games to keep me playing till the Xbox 720, PS4 and WiiU are ALL out on the market for over a year at least. So I don't really need/want any more titles cluttering up my shelves, especially if I can't flip em back to the store to make more than I paid.:razz:

Well, I was specifically addressing CaptainPickles' question so the idea was really tailored for his situation, no one else's in particular.

All right, thanks for all the help guys.

I stopped by just before close today and took a look again at what they had. The only ones I knew for sure about were Resistance 3, Homefront, and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. I grabbed Resistance 3 and Homefront and took it up and waited in line a bit. Once I got to the register the guy had a call and he talked on the phone while checking me out. He had to tell whoever was on the phone to hold on when he saw "$0.01" ring up. I figured he was going to change the price manually, but he actually just told me that it was a penny and that I could have it. Then he checked the second guide...same thing, haha. He said something like "Wish I could get this guide for a penny," or something to that effect and I let him know there was another Homefront guide; however, it did seem like he knew about the penny guides in general, but not necessarily knew that these specific guides were pennied.

Overall, I was surprised to actually get them. I also didn't buy anything else (no 3DS game, no gamestop membership, no preorders). The guy was cool enough that I would preorder anything I want in the future, but I'm not sure if preorders transfer stores? Anyways, I hope other first time members can read this and not be worried about trying to get them. I'm not sure why I was worried, but in general I like to avoid any kind of awkward situation, and I have had an awkward situation in this setting before where I thought the Mass Effect 2 guide was pennied but it was the wrong form of the guide.

Quick question: I wasn't sure about the DA 2 CE guide. I noticed it said it was the "100% complete guide," so I am not sure if that is the one that has pennied? I'll try to post the two pictures I snapped of it below...

imag0259z.jpg

I don't think this is the right one. I'm going to also go through the list again and see if I can remember any other guides that were pennied. It seems like they have some pretty old ones. It is weird that gamestop has pennined some collector editions but not the regular editions, for example: dead rising 2. The CE is pennied but the regular is not? Strange.

Anyways, thanks again for anyone who gave me some advice. I might try another gamestop in the area and see what they have, and I might go back and grab the second homefront and the tactics ogre: let us cling together guide. Also, again, anyone who specifically lives in the Florida area should pay attention because when I leave I'll let you know the gamestop I was at so you can hit it up.

Captain, I don't know specifically why but GameStop pennies hardcovers way before the standard editions.

Also if you have access to a Resistance 3 guide I would be very grateful.

I don't know if anyone cares, but they pulled almost all of the penny guides off bestbuy.com's listings today. only one left is swfu2 ce.

I'm planning on dropping in best buy to use my gcu b2g1 coupons tomorrow (assuming everything will still be on sale) at a store where, at least according to the stock checker, a small treasure trove of penny guides seem to be hiding. Is it common for guides to show in stock but be missing from the shelves? Just want to prepare for disappointment if it's a-comin.

THIS PERTAINS TO BEST BUY ONLY

at best buy, the red dead redemption hardcover (with rainbow-ish palette) and borderlands (red hardcover) guides never dropped to a penny?

they are so old, i thought they would be clearanced out by now.

[quote name='PublikDefender']THIS PERTAINS TO BEST BUY ONLY

at best buy, the red dead redemption hardcover (with rainbow-ish palette) and borderlands (red hardcover) guides never dropped to a penny?

they are so old, i thought they would be clearanced out by now.[/QUOTE]

The Red Dead one just came out in October.

[quote name='CaptainPickles'] Quick question: I wasn't sure about the DA 2 CE guide. I noticed it said it was the "100% complete guide," so I am not sure if that is the one that has pennied? I'll try to post the two pictures I snapped of it below...

imag0259z.jpg

[/QUOTE]

That is one of the guides I manage to snag last week from my local Gamestop. I couldn't believe it at first but, yup, definitely a penny :)

[quote name='Oneshadedarker']That is one of the guides I manage to snag last week from my local Gamestop. I couldn't believe it at first but, yup, definitely a penny :)[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? I was thinking this is a new one containing content on all the DLC (though it does not explicitly say DLC content covered, it does say complete), and it has not pennied. But, if you think so, looks like I will be going back to grab it! :bouncy: Hopefully that cashier didn't check for the rest of the pennined ones and toss it out. :hot:

[quote name='Romeo']Captain, I don't know specifically why but GameStop pennies hardcovers way before the standard editions.

Also if you have access to a Resistance 3 guide I would be very grateful.[/QUOTE]

Hardcovers take up more retail space. Thats why the skyrim ce game dropped from $150 to $100 so quickly. Those boxes were huge!

not only do they take up more space, more spendy. Like someone is gonna want to spend 30-35 for a guide to a game thats been out for several months.
Thats my way of thinking for it anyways

[quote name='CaptainPickles']Are you sure? I was thinking this is a new one containing content on all the DLC (though it does not explicitly say DLC content covered, it does say complete), and it has not pennied. But, if you think so, looks like I will be going back to grab it! :bouncy: Hopefully that cashier didn't check for the rest of the pennined ones and toss it out. :hot:[/QUOTE]

Based on the picture, it appears to be the same one I purchased. The cover looks exactly the same, the sticker is in the exact location with the same description. I can't imagine they'd make a newer version that's so similar you couldn't tell the difference. I really hope I'm not wrong and you don't wind up going there in vain but I'm confident that's the one.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up an Epic Mickey CE guide today much to the chagrin of the gaming supervisor. The customer service rep that was called over originally allowed it and scolded the gaming supervisor for not pulling his guides. And the b2g1 unlocked coupon glitch worked for me. And she gave me my b2g1 coupon back. Good day at best buy.

Argh, still can't find a Resistance 3 guide locally! This makes 4 BBs now that don't have it. If anyone has a spare or can get one, please PM me!

In other news, my BB now takes trade-in games...finally.

[quote name='Devil May Cry']Argh, still can't find a Resistance 3 guide locally! This makes 4 BBs now that don't have it. If anyone has a spare or can get one, please PM me!

In other news, my BB now takes trade-in games...finally.[/QUOTE]

Isn't the penny guide only available at GS and not BB?

i know its older drops but still happy. got 17 guides from best buy over the past weekend when i was visiting my sister.
marvel vs capcom x4
duke nukem softcover x3
la noire x3
metroid other m
thor x2
killzone x2
halo reach x2

not a huge pull but still happy none the less.

Just had a ? and a comment. 1st off where is the thread for trading guides I've amassed about 17 guides alot of collecter editions and over half of them sealed and was wanting to trade them but I can't seem to find the thread :wall:. Also wanted to say hats off to everyone that keeps this thread going keep up the good work.

[quote name='Exhausted Dad']Just had a ? and a comment. 1st off where is the thread for trading guides I've amassed about 17 guides alot of collecter editions and over half of them sealed and was wanting to trade them but I can't seem to find the thread :wall:. Also wanted to say hats off to everyone that keeps this thread going keep up the good work.[/QUOTE]

Trade Thread

The Best Buy I visited today had a couple of Mortal Kombat CE and Dragon Age II CE (both hardcovers), but when I took them to the register to scan, they all come up full price (the cashier didn't do any trick as I was watching the screen the whole time). All of these books have a yellow square sticker over the U.S. barcode so the cashier can't scan that set of codes. Does this mean anything?

[quote name='CAG90210']The Best Buy I visited today had a couple of Mortal Kombat CE and Dragon Age II CE (both hardcovers), but when I took them to the register to scan, they all come up full price (the cashier didn't do any trick as I was watching the screen the whole time). All of these books have a yellow square sticker over the U.S. barcode so the cashier can't scan that set of codes. Does this mean anything?[/QUOTE]

No. Your results mean that the two guides you picked up aren't pennied out at Best Buy. Check the posts on the first page to identify true penny guides.

I got my first penny guide today at BBV granted it was a Duke Nukem CE. The clerk scanned then manually entered the upc and it came up a penny. I could tell she was shocked but didn't seem to care much. Got out with the DOTD (Golden Sun) and the guide for $5.41 after tax :bouncy:

[quote name='Golden Lemonz']So all i do is find the guides i know for a fact are pennied, bring them up to the counter and act all surprised when there a penny?[/QUOTE]

Your surprise would be most convincing if you jump up and down,
wave your arms in the air, and shout at the top of your lungs "It's a Penny!"

[quote name='gordojones88']Your surprise would be most convincing if you jump up and down,
wave your arms in the air, and shout at the top of your lungs "It's a Penny!"[/QUOTE]

Then confetti will fall from the ceiling as everyone in the store breaks out into song and dance.

[quote name='KtMack23']How do you guys act "surprised" when you buy 17 guides and every single one rings up as a penny?[/QUOTE]

I say "Jackpot bitches!" and make it rain pennies. Something like that.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']I say "Jackpot bitches!" and make it rain pennies. Something like that.[/QUOTE]

You get the award for funniest thing I've read all day. Hilarious.

[quote name='KtMack23']How do you guys act "surprised" when you buy 17 guides and every single one rings up as a penny?[/QUOTE]

I had a guy the other day say (as I was trying to buy two) "I am going to have to pull these anyway, so go pick out as many as you want" I almost cried tears of joy. :D

[quote name='Dark Rider']I had a guy the other day say (as I was trying to buy two) "I am going to have to pull these anyway, so go pick out as many as you want" I almost cried tears of joy. :D[/QUOTE]

that would be my dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back