Resident Evil 4 Wii - $19.99 on Black Friday! 750,000 copies sold around the globe!

God dammit. Do I really need to buy this again for the Wii? I never played the PS2 version but I played the GCN version twice. *sigh* I'm powerless.

[quote name='javeryh']God dammit. Do I really need to buy this again for the Wii? I never played the PS2 version but I played the GCN version twice. *sigh* I'm powerless.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way. I'm trading my Collector's Edition for the Wii version. I can't wait to play through this for the 4th time.

[quote name='javeryh']God dammit. Do I really need to buy this again for the Wii? I never played the PS2 version but I played the GCN version twice. *sigh* I'm powerless.[/QUOTE]

I don't, as I JUST played through the GC version for the first time this spring to knock the dust off my Wii and was bit overwhelmed.

It was a good game, I'd probably give it an 8.0, but far from the best game every hype it gets IMO.

The controls where just too clunky still compared to more recent 3rd person action games like Gears of War, the stupid button pressing cutscenes were annoying as hell, and some parts were overly frustrating for me (the village, a couple of the boss battles etc.).

Picked it up and played to the save point passed the village section.

The controls will take a little bit of getting used to, but overall they are far superior to the origianl control scheme I think. It just takes a bit of unlearning cause I think I would have changed things just a bit with out they work, but the ease of aiming makes things far better than any clumsiness they may add initally.

A solid $30 purchase, whether you've played it before or not.

I'm so glad that I missed out on the GCN version (even though it's still widely available). I'm going to pick this up soon.

Traded in my GC version for the Wii version; I picked up the GC version at the last EB B2G1 sale and when I heard the Wii version was coming I held off playing it until this came out. I'm a little stoked for it, but I've got SUCH a back-log of games that I question my sanity with this purchase ... oh well, I traded another game in too and pretty much got it for $20.

BTW, EBs was just opening their shipment box as I got there at noon.

[quote name='daroga']Picked it up and played to the save point passed the village section.

The controls will take a little bit of getting used to, but overall they are far superior to the origianl control scheme I think. It just takes a bit of unlearning cause I think I would have changed things just a bit with out they work, but the ease of aiming makes things far better than any clumsiness they may add initally.

A solid $30 purchase, whether you've played it before or not.[/QUOTE]

Does the Wavebird / Classic Controller work like in the Japanese one?

Either they re-tooled junk or the controls are to blame, 'cause this version is MUCH harder than the Cube one. I love it!

[quote name='Scorch']Either they re-tooled junk or the controls are to blame, 'cause this version is MUCH harder than the Cube one. I love it![/quote]

I've had some tough times on the GC one. The first time I fought that giant guy I died. The first time I attempted the "lone house in the sea of zombies" I got my ass kicked, too.

[quote name='Scorch']Either they re-tooled junk or the controls are to blame, 'cause this version is MUCH harder than the Cube one. I love it![/quote]They added more enemies to somewhat balance the easier aiming, apparently.

I plan on picking this up later, but for anyone who already has it, please tell me there is some sort of quick menu that lets you switch weapons. That was my biggest gripe with the original version.

[quote name='jalu6']I plan on picking this up later, but for anyone who already has it, please tell me there is some sort of quick menu that lets you switch weapons. That was my biggest gripe with the original version.[/QUOTE]
:Warning: old joke :Warning:
I have been told that only PS3 games have real time weapon changing.

No quick change, but you don't have to equip the knife or press a button to use it anymore when you just need it for quick strikes..

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is finding the game to be a bit harder than before...

I played for the last hour. The controls are great, but definitely take some getting used to and add to the overall experience.

As far items go, I feel like they aren't as generous with ammo as they were before, either that or I'm just using too many shots.

I'm not really sure actually--- I think that its definately giving me more ammo than the ps2 version for sure. If anything the disconnection between movement and aiming is the only thing that made it harder at first-- after I got used to it, its completely natural, and makes dealing with normal enemies a breeze. With the quick knife swap all I do is pop em in the head and then kick a majority of them down--- knifing the rest.

As far as my game is going-- I'm getting a lot more ammo, a little less money, and a lot less health pickups (Although the Chickens keep laying Brown eggs like they're going out of style)

the game is harder than the GC original....wow.... kinda dislike the fact that i'll quick knife sometimes when i want to reload though.

[quote name='steaming79']the game is harder than the GC original....wow.... kinda dislike the fact that i'll quick knife sometimes when i want to reload though.[/quote]

Once I accidentally killed the merchant when I sat my Wiimote down and Leon swung at him with the knife.

Anyone else have issues with the graphics? The Wii is set to 480p and this game looks like absolute crap. REALLY Bad. I am also getting a bit of letterboxing on the side instead of true 16:9. WTF.

[quote name='Scorch']Either they re-tooled junk or the controls are to blame, 'cause this version is MUCH harder than the Cube one. I love it![/QUOTE]

I'm having a harder time with it, namely because I'm not used to the controls yet. That, and some of the "waggle" controls are sucky. Namely, the knife swipes an reloading. Good thing I can by-pass them easily. This is how you do Wii-ports -- make the waggle options OPTIONAL

I've been playing it today and I'm really enjoying it. It does seem to be harder then the Gamecube version, and it seems like fewer enemies drop ammo.
The aiming works great, I'm having a lot of fun blowing up the dynamite that enemies are holding, which was much harder in the Gamecube version.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Anyone else have issues with the graphics? The Wii is set to 480p and this game looks like absolute crap. REALLY Bad. I am also getting a bit of letterboxing on the side instead of true 16:9. WTF.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like mine looks the same :(

I thought it was supposed to be true 16:9 last i heard.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Anyone else have issues with the graphics? The Wii is set to 480p and this game looks like absolute crap. REALLY Bad. I am also getting a bit of letterboxing on the side instead of true 16:9. WTF.[/QUOTE]

Same here. It looks like it's not running in 480p at all. Though it does look better than the GCN version playing on my Wii. I also have small black bars at the sides of the screen. No big deal though.

I'm finding this version harder too. Maybe it's because I'm getting used to the controls still, but I had a hell of a time getting through the beginning village w/ chainsaw guy.

Same here. So far I am very disappointed. It does not support TRUE 16:9.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Anyone else have issues with the graphics? The Wii is set to 480p and this game looks like absolute crap. REALLY Bad.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if this is because people expected more out of a 3 year old game that was released before next gen even dropped?

Kind of like how you go back to play that PS1 game that was so awesome back in the day only to see the graphics now suck. IIRC, they didn't overhaul the Gamecube engine that much, if at all.

Harder than the Gamecube version, eh? Damn, I had a hell of a time playing that one. I figured the Wii controls would make it a bit easier. :lol:

I'll probably crack it open and play sometime tonight.

I like the aiming controls on the regular guns but what's the deal with making you use the analog stick to aim the rifles?

It's screwing my long range aim up a bit since the nunchuk stick has never really fit my hand and theumb correctly.

[quote name='Roufuss']I wonder if this is because people expected more out of a 3 year old game that was released before next gen even dropped?

Kind of like how you go back to play that PS1 game that was so awesome back in the day only to see the graphics now suck. IIRC, they didn't overhaul the Gamecube engine that much, if at all.[/QUOTE]

It just looks REALLY bad. Like REALLY REALLY bad.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']

I'm finding this version harder too. Maybe it's because I'm getting used to the controls still, but I had a hell of a time getting through the beginning village w/ chainsaw guy.[/quote]
I also had some problems during that part and died a few times, though I think part of the problem was that I have been playing The Godfather for the past few weeks and it has similar but different controls. Plus I'm pretty sure the game is harder with enemies with more health and fewer enemies dropping ammo. I don't remember ever being as low on ammo in the Gamecube version as I often was in the Wii version.

The controls take some getting used to. I played through the GC version quite a bit, so I may be holding the Wii controls to an unfair standard--that is, the level of comfort I had with the GC controls. I'm going to give it another week.

It does seem to take an extra round or two if all you're doing is pumping bullets into people. In addition, it seems to me that they've made kneecapping a little harder in that when you cap now, goons have a tendency to just fall flat on the ground instead of kneeling before the Almighty Leon, Dealer of Death. Or maybe I'm just rusty. :)

Overall, though, I don't feel like zombie killin' for the Wii has been more or less difficult than on the GC: it's been cap, kick, knife-knife-knife up until I quit after Del Lago. The Del Lago fight went damn quick thanks to the ease of Wiimote aiming.

The only thing that may be more than my imagination is that I felt like I got a lot of (2) drops for shotgun and rifle ammo instead of (5) drops. Ah well. And the screen is definitely cut off in 16:9. I'm no A/V whiz, but I can see it on the screen. In spite of that, I think the graphics still hold up well for being 3 years old. I know I'm alone in that, but hey.

I'm looking forward to playing my way through that extra PS2 content. Mercenaries, however, can kiss my ass.

Damn, you guys weren't kidding when you said there were letterboxing to the sides. Thank god my TV has an option to get rid of it.

That letterboxing happens with the vast majority of Wii games. The only ones I can think of that don't off the top of my head are Twilight Princess and maybe Sonic. I know Excite Truck did it for certain. The GC version letterboxed the top and bottom too. That was a real mess compared to this.

The graphics don't suck, they just look the same as they did on the Cube, which we knew was the case for a long time. What's the problem?

So, for the point and shoot game, 3rd person works much much better on the wii than first person, I'm loving this, but I hated Call of Doody.

[quote name='smalien1']So, for the point and shoot game, 3rd person works much much better on the wii than first person, I'm loving this, but I hated Call of Doody.[/quote]That just means RE: UC should be much better than CoD, since Capcom's doing them both. The point and click isn't any different just because it's 3rd person, they just did a better job of implementing it.

[quote name='smalien1']So, for the point and shoot game, 3rd person works much much better on the wii than first person, I'm loving this, but I hated Call of Doody.[/QUOTE]

Heh. Doody.

[quote name='smalien1']So, for the point and shoot game, 3rd person works much much better on the wii than first person, I'm loving this, but I hated Call of Doody.[/QUOTE]

The controls work better because the nature of the game. Since you cant move and shoot at the same time, holding up your gun frees the thumbstick for the camera, as opposed to using the wiimote for camera AND aiming. I think it feels a lot more natural this way.

Lack of a strafe seemned like a pain on the GC version, but it certainly made the control scheme translate eaiser.

bread's done
Back