Resident Evil 5 -Gen. Discussion - Lost In Nightmares & Desperate Esacpe DLC Out Now!

Nope. Have to finish it in 1 sitting, no infinite ammo, even after beating it. It's as old school RE as anyone's going to get.

The more I think about it, I want RE remade with that (as long as they take out typewriters)

[quote name='Over easy']Do your weapons upgrade carry over from the main story? I assume it's a no, since I see this game more like Assignment Ada and RE 4.[/QUOTE]

no the weapons don't carry over from the main story, and yes this is more like Assignment Ada.

OH MY GOD....

So I just played Lost in Nightmares again, and just found a really cool easter egg. This is the ultimate throwback to Resident Evil 1.

If you love Resident Evil, and you have the DLC then you need to go do this right now.

Basically as soon as you enter the Spencer Mansion. Try to leave through the front door again, and the message "I am not leaving until I finish this mission" shows up. Well just keep trying to leave 2-3 more times, and a "?" will appear. Press it, and witness what made Resident Evil what it was.

Kudos to Capcom for putting this in :applause:

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I know it's been remade already, but I know I would also pay for a total revamp of the original Resident Evil game.[/QUOTE]

You mean a second revamp (game was redone on the Gamecube) or just a port of the Gamecube version to the 360/PS3?

I know it was remade already ("I know it's already been remade"). As others said, I'd like to see one with the RE5 engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tenzor']OH MY GOD....

So I just played Lost in Nightmares again, and just found a really cool easter egg. This is the ultimate throwback to Resident Evil 1.

If you love Resident Evil, and you have the DLC then you need to go do this right now.

Basically as soon as you enter the Spencer Mansion. Try to leave through the front door again, and the message "I am not leaving until I finish this mission" shows up. Well just keep trying to leave 2-3 more times, and a "?" will appear. Press it, and witness what made Resident Evil what it was.

Kudos to Capcom for putting this in :applause:[/QUOTE]

As soon as I read your post I had to turn on my 360 to check it out.

Oh. My. God. HOLY STROMBOLI!!

That's the best Easter egg ever, man. I guess Capcom has some respect for their old fans after all. (Now if only you'd have the option to choose between the 2 views in the next game...)

[quote name='tenzor']
Basically as soon as you enter the Spencer Mansion. Try to leave through the front door again, and the message "I am not leaving until I finish this mission" shows up. Well just keep trying to leave 2-3 more times, and a "?" will appear. Press it, and witness what made Resident Evil what it was.[/QUOTE]

Clunky and artificially difficult?

I kid, kinda, not really. But kudos to Capcom for some quality fan service.

Am I the only one disappointed with this shit?

Granted, it started out good with great atmosphere, but
nothing really happens for most of the time you play the DLC. Sure, the first time you see your big hook enemy it's cool, but then you just fight 3 more, and have to solve the most tedious puzzle I've ever seen in a RE game. I have no idea how you would even do it without an actual person playing with you, especially on Veteran/Professional.

And to top it all off, it ends so abruptly with a terrible "boss fight," and finishes with a compressed version of a cutscene from the original game.

I just felt like it was building up for something epic, and it never delivered.

After doing the Easter Egg Tenzor showed, something odd happened:

The first time through Lost in Nightmares, I didn't encounter a single enemy in the mansion. Nothing. However, both times since then, I have. Both times was after using the classic camera angles.

The first time I encountered an enemy was just after hitting the switch that keeps Jill from being (forgive me) made into a Jill sandwich. Immediately after leaving that room and entering the room with cages and junk piled up, I saw the new enemy's anchor weapon get dragged in the foreground of my camera view. So I gave chase and went into the hallway, and there he was trying to walk back towards the entrance hall.

On the playthrough after that, I was heading to the dining room with the fire-sensitive paper to get the last password. I decided to investigate the piano room since I heard music playing and because I had never gone back there before.

So I get to the piano room and there's nothing, and the music had stopped playing as I was going up the stairs. It was creepy, but I was disappointed. However, when I left the room and tried to go back downstairs I was attacked by another anchor-wielding enemy.

I'm not sure if those moments only happen if you use the old view or not. All three of my playthroughs have been on Normal, by the way. So difficulty has nothing to do with it. I jumped both times though, so it was pretty cool.

Also, I'm surprised the weapon placement seems random. My last time through, the shotgun was where I had found the magnum revolver in one of the bedrooms. Jill found an assault rifle above the dining room this time instead of a sniper, and the sniper was right next to where you find the fire-sensitive paper.

Oh, and I found three proximity mines in the same room where you find the frag and incendiary grenades. They were where no items had been previously, and I was surprised to see them.

Shadow, you forgot to close your spoiler tags. ;) Haha.

Going on, I dig the classic camera angle, but its going to take me a bit longer to get used to it. My brother is going to flip when he sees it. I dig the random weapons all the way around.

After my first playthrough, I got three achievements (Beat it, S rank and Kung Fu), which was surprising. It was really easy to S rank. I didn't pay too much attention, but I died like, 3 or 4 times, and I still got the S, so yeah. Great DLC. Totally worth the $5 dollars, just for the environment alone.

[quote name='advanced']Shadow, you forgot to close your spoiler tags. ;) Haha.
[/QUOTE]

DAMMIT! It took me all of thirty seconds to fix my mistake and someone still saw... :bomb: Haha, oh well.

Yeah, the random weapons are nice. You never know what you'll end up with.

I only got an 'A' rank my first time... I think I spent a little too much time in the entrance hall when I first started, making Chris and Jill run laps around the room as I giggled like a schoolgirl.

...what? Hey, I was happy to be back in a mansion. Don't look at me like that. DON'T JUDGE ME!!!

[quote name='phoenix529']I can't find the DLC on PSN yet. What gives?[/QUOTE]

PSN updates don't happen until after 6 p.m. EST (on most Thursdays)...
Sometimes they don't happen until very late (like 9 p.m.)..tough for them to push that button. :lol:

[quote name='poison_SHADOW']DAMMIT! It took me all of thirty seconds to fix my mistake and someone still saw... :bomb: Haha, oh well.
[/QUOTE]

I'm like a ninja, fast.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I know it was remade already ("I know it's already been remade"). As others said, I'd like to see one with the RE5 engine.[/QUOTE]

why not the updated engine from lost planet 2!!

I just beat lost in nightmares and I have to say...it was pretty disappointing. I was kind of hoping for some kind of insight into the process of Jill turning into Wesker's pawn at the end.

I would have also liked to fight some zombies and not just the big monsters they threw at us. Although I appreciate the difference in game play it brought.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']I just beat lost in nightmares and I have to say...it was pretty disappointing. I was kind of hoping for some kind of insight into the process of Jill turning into Wesker's pawn at the end.

I would have also liked to fight some zombies and not just the big monsters they threw at us. Although I appreciate the difference in game play it brought.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't all the stuff about Jill mentioned in files in the main game? I can't recall right now how she was put under Wesker's control though, I only remember the cause of her altered appearance.

I agree with you about the enemies. The Guardians were alright, I guess, but really? The only zombies are the sad sacks of crap that twitch on the ground? That's just lazy, CAPCOM! They could've at least had the prisoner chambers filled with a few zombies...

I really enjoyed Lost In Nightmares and wish other DLC's were more like this. Plenty of homages to RE 1 and the eeary feel returned to the game vs. what happened in RE 5. Comparing the value of this DLC vs. what Ubisoft is putting out for AC 2 is a difference of night and day (200 gs for $10 with both packs with replayability or 0 gs for $6 with both packs and no replayability.)

While I wished there were some zombies outside of the ones that just lay there and pop out of the water at the end, there would need to be more ammo available if that was the case.

I'll have to play it again as we missed one of the score stars and we didn't do it fast enough so myself and my podcast co-host only got 1 achievement last night.

[quote name='poison_SHADOW']Wasn't all the stuff about Jill mentioned in files in the main game? I can't recall right now how she was put under Wesker's control though, I only remember the cause of her altered appearance.

I agree with you about the enemies. The Guardians were alright, I guess, but really? The only zombies are the sad sacks of crap that twitch on the ground? That's just lazy, CAPCOM! They could've at least had the prisoner chambers filled with a few zombies...[/QUOTE]

Yeah some of story (as far as Lost in Nightmares) did come out during the main game. However I finds it a little odd to not relay story elements here since you are actually playing them out and all.

Being rewarded with a video explaining things would have been nice though even if the info it shared was already available via the main game in document form.

Just completed LiN myself. Really enjoyed the experience. Great DLC value, lots of replay built in.

I feel like such a noob, and literally missed the last star right before
the boss encounter, where your handguns get re-equipped.
Took nearly 2 hrs and 40 mins on my first try [veteran] cause I looked everywhere for those stars; except the previous overlook.

Biggest improvement I've noticed was partner AI Jill wasn't as annoying as AI Sheva. This helped out a lot in setting the mood. Sheva in the main campaign was a freaking chatterbox, and you just wanted to off her yourself. Very glad Capcom fixed this with Jill.

I hope Resident Evil 6 is along these lines.

btw, not sure, but was wondering if completing each difficulty unlocks a figure.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Would a few people be interested in setting something up for this Friday night to bang out the Versus achievements? Let me know.[/QUOTE]

Count me in.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Would a few people be interested in setting something up for this Friday night to bang out the Versus achievements? Let me know.[/QUOTE]

I may be able to help. I won't be on until later this evening (Eastern time) though.

My gamer tag and AIM is "phrekyos".

Anybody want to hook up for the 1v1 Survivors achievement? I've got about 7 or 8 wins already, and I'd be willing to stick around until you got it. I'll even help you get the 40,000 score one too if you don't already have it. PM me or hit me up on XBL.

I should be playing this soon, I downloaded it but haven't been able to play it yet. Glad to see that it's getting positive feedback.

[quote name='advanced']Anybody want to hook up for the 1v1 Survivors achievement? I've got about 7 or 8 wins already, and I'd be willing to stick around until you got it. I'll even help you get the 40,000 score one too if you don't already have it. PM me or hit me up on XBL.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']If you haven't found anyone yet, let me know. I think I have some wins, too, so it shouldn't take long.[/QUOTE]

Jesus, talk about a grind lol. I couldn't take it anymore. Just glad you got the achievement. I guess I'm a win or two away. I'll pick it up eventually.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Jesus, talk about a grind lol. I couldn't take it anymore. Just glad you got the achievement. I guess I'm a win or two away. I'll pick it up eventually.[/QUOTE]

If you want help, I am offering my assistance. Just send me a Friend Request.

We played for like 3 hours, and I already had some wins going in, so I should be pretty close. If you want me let him win a few matches of Survivors, that would be great. Let me know when you'll be on today.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Jesus, talk about a grind lol. I couldn't take it anymore. Just glad you got the achievement. I guess I'm a win or two away. I'll pick it up eventually.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. Thanks for the help though man. I'm finished with the Versus achievements finally. I bought that DLC the day it released and its taken this long. :)

yeah I still need

-30 wins in Team Slayers
-30 wins in Slayers
-30 wins in Survivor

I was boosting with some CAGS a few weeks ago, but most of them already got all the achievements except me. So if anyone wants to join for some boosting just msg me and we can setup a time. It gets repetitive, so we could just do a few matches here and there.

If you need help with story related achievements like a co-op partner for professional or any of the new DLC msg me as well. I already got all those, but I am willing to help when i got extra time to kill.

I still need the two team achievements, Survivors, and 40x combo, so you got one. Let me know.

EDIT: Finally got around to playing some Lost in Nightmares. Wow...amazing. I definitely mourn the lack of zombies. From the way everyone was initially saying how it felt just like the old RE games, I figured there would zombies, until folks started pointing out otherwise in the thread. But still, the atmosphere is amazing and really makes me want another RE remake even more. This DLC is definitely worth the price of admission, in my opinion, because I get to play as the great Barry Burton in Mercenaries Reunion and hear his "what is this?" line.

just finished Desperate Escape, and I must say it lives up to its title. One word to describe this new chapter 'Intense'. No puzzles, mansions, classic resident evil throwbacks, or lack of action here. It is a roller coaster ride till the very end. I have never seen so many damn enemies in a Resident Evil game come at me (in fact one of the achievements is to kill 150 enemies by yourself). It made me panic, and look for ways to escape if not just to catch my breath for a second before moving on.

There were so many secondary bosses scattered throughout the game. By secondary bosses I mean like the Chainsaw enemies, Chain gun enemies etc. At one point I was surrounded by two chainsaw enemies, 1 chain-gun enemies and at least a dozen regular enemies. I literally was running for my life trying to find weapons, health, vantage points, etc.

The end consists of you surviving for 5 minutes before help arrives to pick you up. This was definitely one of the most intense and best part of this new chapter. That 5 minutes turns into 6-7 minutes when something goes wrong, but eventually help does arrive.

It clocks in about the same length as Lost in Nightmares, and adds another 100 achievement points to go along with it. The cost is also the same as Lost in Nightmares (400pts). I definitely recommend a purchase just like I did with Lost in Nightmares.

They don't show up on Xbox.com, so its the same problem as Dark Void.

I purchased it, but I'll be waiting to play it until they fix. Or until I'm done with Borderlands. Either or.

[quote name='tenzor']just finished Desperate Escape, and I must say it lives up to its title. One word to describe this new chapter 'Intense'. No puzzles, mansions, classic resident evil throwbacks, or lack of action here. It is a roller coaster ride till the very end. I have never seen so many damn enemies in a Resident Evil game come at me (in fact one of the achievements is to kill 150 enemies by yourself). It made me panic, and look for ways to escape if not just to catch my breath for a second before moving on.

There were so many secondary bosses scattered throughout the game. By secondary bosses I mean like the Chainsaw enemies, Chain gun enemies etc. At one point I was surrounded by two chainsaw enemies, 1 chain-gun enemies and at least a dozen regular enemies. I literally was running for my life trying to find weapons, health, vantage points, etc.

The end consists of you surviving for 5 minutes before help arrives to pick you up. This was definitely one of the most intense and best part of this new chapter. That 5 minutes turns into 6-7 minutes when something goes wrong, but eventually help does arrive.

It clocks in about the same length as Lost in Nightmares, and adds another 100 achievement points to go along with it. The cost is also the same as Lost in Nightmares (400pts). I definitely recommend a purchase just like I did with Lost in Nightmares.[/QUOTE]

thanks, tenzor! I was checking in to see when the second DLC was hitting the streets. glad you posted a quick review up. I'm getting it as soon as I get the chance.

I guess I will be holding off on playing Desperate Escape until the achievements are fixed.

EDIT: The achievements now show up on Xbox.com

Crap my gamercard doesn't list the achievements! I got them just after 11 p.m. central last night. Does this mean I have to reearn them? Or do I have to recover my gamertag? Or will it be fixed when I turn my 360 back on tonight?

Try recovering your GT first. If it doesn't work, I think you need to re-earn them.

I tried playing it on Amateur earlier. SOOO many enemies! It was crazy.

bread's done
Back