Resident Evil 5 -Gen. Discussion - Lost In Nightmares & Desperate Esacpe DLC Out Now!

Demo is pretty fun, even though I'm stuck on CODWAW/Gears controls.

Haven't gotten past the axe/chainsaw guys yet though, keep on dying.

[quote name='GuardianE']I am a Resident Evil fanboy. And I'm also a Halo fanboy. I'm also a Call of Duty fanboy. And Gears.

Let me put it this way. I'm a fanboy of good games. I don't mind the control scheme and I don't mind taking the time to learn how a game is meant to be played. Gamers are apt to hate things that they're unfamiliar with. This is why the real love of fighting games have fallen to the wayside.[/quote]

Yet... you didn't mention RSV2 and most of the time people don't like it. I absolutely hated MGS4, but I liked it's attention to detail so much that I still took the time to played it. Same with Socom. Yeah... right back at ya.

[quote name='lolwut?']I loved Resident Evil 4 and beat it more times than I can count (not quite 58 though ;)), but I have to agree that the controls just didn't feel right to me when I played the Japanese demo.

I'm going to give the American one a go a little later on, but I doubt the consensus will change. They need to refine them and make them more fluid; maybe I need to up the sensitivity or get use to them on the 360 controller or something, but I doubt it.[/quote]

I'm just curious as to why it didn't feel right to you. Maybe I missed something in my playthroughs. Maybe I'm just not seeing something that's dramatically and cripplingly different from RE4->RE5.

Some of you make very compelling arguments by calling other posters dumbasses because they don't like the controls. If they want to limit running and shooting thats fine but they could easily fix the controls to make the game better. Walking and shooting. Running and shooting could also be put in, just make the shooting more difficult. The whole inverntory system should be updated as well. But theres no point in argueing

Geez a lot of complaints on controls. Only issue I have with it is that the aiming seems a little floaty compared to RE4. I'm pretty sure the reason they don't allow you to walk and shoot is to add more suspense. It'd be so much easier if you could just keep on backtracking and shoot. I like it the way it is now.

I have other complaints though. While co-op is nice, I always thought RE was more of a game to play on your own. Having a partner alleviates much of the horror.

Also, the music sucks.

It's games like this that really show how bad the voice chat is on Xbox live. It's god awful. I enjoyed the demo none the less.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Yet... you didn't mention RSV2 and most of the time people don't like it. I absolutely hated MGS4, but I liked it's attention to detail so much that I still took the time to played it. Same with Socom. Yeah... right back at ya.[/quote]

I don't really see what you're getting at. If you've played any first person shooter, you can play RSV2. I haven't heard any significant complaints about the controls of RSV2, nor were they particularly different from the mold of a standard shooter. I've beaten it.

You hated MGS4, and that's fine... and you still played it... that's fine? I guess that just went over my head. I don't really get your point.

All I'm saying is that just because people like things a certain way in a particular game, they expect every game thereafter to adopt it, for better or worse. Capcom had a difficult decision to make. There were going to be people unhappy either way.

[quote name='slickkill77']Some of you make very compelling arguments by calling other posters dumbasses because they don't like the controls. If they want to limit running and shooting thats fine but they could easily fix the controls to make the game better. Walking and shooting. Running and shooting could also be put in, just make the shooting more difficult. The whole inverntory system should be updated as well. But theres no point in argueing[/quote]
If you can read, I didn't call him a dumbass, just letting him he's stupid if he's going to blame the control scheme for a mistake he made. You can always dodge people coming in at you and you can always dodge something being thrown at you. You can even shoot the item in the air. Imagine that.

[quote name='SoulReaver']I have other complaints though. While co-op is nice, I always thought RE was more of a game to play on your own. Having a partner alleviates much of the horror.

Also, the music sucks.[/quote]

I do agree with these. I'm hoping that there will just be more elements to the co-op, ya know? There's a lot of the game that we haven't seen in motion, so I'm hoping that they can play up the co-op and USE it to make a part frightening. As for the music... yeah, it's sort of uninspired. Although, RE4's best music was almost always during boss scenes. Hopefully the dev team has some things up their sleeves.

[quote name='tiredfornow']You're a dumbass if you blame a controller scheme for your own shitty mistakes.[/quote]

Thats odd because I'm reading your post and it specifically says " You're a dumbass.....". I see nothing about you calling him stupid. So by calling him a dumbass you were actually just saying blaming a bad control scheme as the reason for not liking a game is stupid. Right? Clear as glass.

[quote name='slickkill77']Thats odd because I'm reading your post and it specifically says " You're a dumbass....."[/quote]You're a dumbass.

How mature. I merely correct your flawed logic and that's all you can come up with. So tell me, who really is the dumbass?

Well I'm giving the demo a try again but I'm still having my doubts

[quote name='slickkill77']How mature. I merely correct your flawed logic and that's all you can come up with. So tell me, who really is the dumbass?

Well I'm giving the demo a try again but I'm still having my doubts[/quote]

I'm sorry, but there wasn't any flaw in his logic. You forgot the word "if." It makes the statement conditional.

Anyways, if you don't like it, you don't like it. I guess that I just tend to be more tolerant of things like this than other people. Maybe Capcom will surprise you and give you a new control scheme when the game releases.

[quote name='slickkill77']How mature. I merely correct your flawed logic and that's all you can come up with. So tell me, who really is the dumbass?

Well I'm giving the demo a try again but I'm still having my doubts[/quote]I'm glad you can read. He's a dumbass IF (keyword: IF) he blames the control scheme on his own stupid mistakes (ie: not dodging, running gung ho into a group of enemies and expecting to not get hit, etc.). What I said and what he said had nothing to do with him not even liking the game. If you really have that big of a gripe with the controls, so don't play the game. We have demos, and thats what they're here for. Better to have someone who enjoys the game play it, rather than some dude thats bitching about it not being COD or Gears.

The controls are what they are. They've been the same way for every single RE game and wow, what do you know? Capcom is sticking to a formula that has worked for them. Who'da thunk it?

[quote name='tiredfornow']I'm glad you can read. He's a dumbass IF (keyword: IF) he blames the control scheme on his own stupid mistakes (ie: not dodging, running gung ho into a group of enemies and expecting to not get hit, etc.). What I said and what he said had nothing to do with him not even liking the game. If you really have that big of a gripe with the controls, so don't play the game. We have demos, and thats what they're here for. Better to have someone who enjoys the game play it, rather than some dude thats bitching about it not being COD or Gears.

The controls are what they are. They've been the same way for every single RE game and wow, what do you know? Capcom is sticking to a formula that has worked for them. Who'da thunk it?[/QUOTE]

Why bother attacking anyone that doesn't agree with your stance on the controls, then? Seems sort of hypocritical for you to say "it's a demo, that's what it's here for", pretty much saying "to each his own", however, you're attacking people who complain about the demo or controls (if you weren't attacking people, than there would be no reason for your post above to exist).

Good job, hypocrite.

Stop arguing about the game and play the demo, lol. Everyone has their own opinion, and I value that. However It seems like some people cant't.

It's Resident Evil guys...they're not going to change it into Gears Of War or Halo...it's the same gametype with additional changes to keep the game style fresh yet with the the same feeling as it did back on the PSX days. Play it for what it is, don't go in there with unbelievable expectations.

I personally loved the demo, wasn't planning on getting this game day one but now I'm definitely am. Can't wait, the addition of split-screen co-op pretty much sold it for me...well I would have bought day one without it anyways but It's an awesome feature and I'm glad that they added it.

I Got to admit, Gears of War spoiled me more then I thought. Though I still liked the controls since it gave the feeling of intensity and being overwhelmed that games haven't given me in awhile.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']Why bother attacking anyone that doesn't agree with your stance on the controls, then? Seems sort of hypocritical for you to say "it's a demo, that's what it's here for", pretty much saying "to each his own", however, you're attacking people who complain about the demo or controls (if you weren't attacking people, than there would be no reason for your post above to exist).

Good job, hypocrite.[/quote]Yo, dawg, you like men that oil up and grab each other. Your opinion is absolutely invalid on anything and everything you come across.

In all seriousness, the dude is knocking the game for his inability to think up a tactic like "release LT and move the thumbstick back and to the right to dodge a hit". I didn't attack him, just said he would be pretty stupid to blame his in game death on the controls rather than himself for not thinking to dodge or evade the attacks coming to him. slickkill on the other hand doesn't know how to read and thought he was clever. No harm here! VipFREAK didn't even take it as anything because 1) we're on a video game message board to discuss what we like and don't like 2) I doubt he even gave a shit because he can grasp the english language and he understood what I was saying 3) he wants his Gears and COD in his Resident Evil and thats his opinion. Nothing hypocritical about speaking my mind over something completely stupid as that. It's kinda crazy that video games can be so different! :whee:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']It's Resident Evil guys...they're not going to change it into Gears Of War or Halo...it's the same gametype with additional changes to keep the game style fresh yet with the the same feeling as it did back on the PSX days. Play it for what it is, don't go in there with unbelievable expectations.

I personally loved the demo, wasn't planning on getting this game day one but now I'm definitely am. Can't wait, the addition of split-screen co-op pretty much sold it for me...well I would have bought day one without it anyways but It's an awesome feature and I'm glad that they added it.[/quote]

I agree. You fools are hooked with your HAELO's and your GEEARZ dis this game because it's not set up like them. This game was never about gun and run. I have played the demo several times already with some friends and I can tell you it's a lot harder than RE4. It feels more close quarters and barely enough room to move around. Brings the tension level higher than H3 or Gears.

Getting use the controls is a must. I think the key to success is the ability to get use to snapping the 180 or reloading as quick as possible. This game can make sure that a plan of attack can fall apart quickly as I have just noticed with my friend online. Other than that, it's day one purchase for me.

[quote name='menikmati']Sweet, just beat the
chainsaw guy
.[/quote]

Oh do tell the details!

We tried a number of things, including using the red barrels against him and running past him and up the stairs but end up at the locked gate. Do you recommend hitting/stunning him, then running away and repeat?

It would be nice to see some refinements to the control scheme as another option.

My thoughts haven't changed from before, it's decent enough that I may rent it when it comes out.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Oh do tell the details!

We tried a number of things, including using the red barrels against him and running past him and up the stairs but end up at the locked gate. Do you recommend hitting/stunning him, then running away and repeat?
[/quote]

Rifle -> head shot -> melee. Repeat until death which is around 10 - 12 bullets with melee. Barrels are optional so long as you've got enough ammo. He's actually the easier of the two given the layout of the level and his sluggish movements.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Rifle -> head shot -> melee. Repeat until death which is around 10 - 12 bullets with melee. Barrels are optional so long as you've got enough ammo. He's actually the easier of the two given the layout of the level and his sluggish movements.[/quote]

thanks!

[quote name='tiredfornow']Yo, dawg, you like men that oil up and grab each other. Your opinion is absolutely invalid on anything and everything you come across.

In all seriousness, the dude is knocking the game for his inability to think up a tactic like "release LT and move the thumbstick back and to the right to dodge a hit". I didn't attack him, just said he would be pretty stupid to blame his in game death on the controls rather than himself for not thinking to dodge or evade the attacks coming to him. slickkill on the other hand doesn't know how to read and thought he was clever. No harm here! VipFREAK didn't even take it as anything because 1) we're on a video game message board to discuss what we like and don't like 2) I doubt he even gave a shit because he can grasp the english language and he understood what I was saying 3) he wants his Gears and COD in his Resident Evil and thats his opinion. Nothing hypocritical about speaking my mind over something completely stupid as that. It's kinda crazy that video games can be so different! :whee:
[/QUOTE]

The other half of the world seems to love UFC, not really any difference in-regards to that, but I know nothing bad would be said if I had a UFC signature.

Either way, that would be his inability, and his inability, affects how he plays the game. If he can't do a simple dodge, then he can't. If that makes the game bad to him, then it does. That would be an opinion, and the players own fault if they can't do something; it's not something for you to comment negatively on.

Let's for instance, say you can't beat a level in a game, and don't like the game because of it, or don't enjoy the experience anymore (if you say it's never happened to you, ever, then you must be either a brand new gamer, or someone who just doesn't play more then 2 games) due to not being able to beat that one level. That's your inability. You'll notice many others don't have this inability, but you do. Just because you do, doesn't mean you suck at the game, or your opinion doesn't matter. It's just you are unable to do what the game requests, for whatever reason.

That's an inability.

As for wanting Gears and COD in his RE, they kind of promised they would be adding controls inspired by them, so not getting those Gears-like controls, or over-all fluid gaming experience that Gears supplies, is a viable excuse to not like a game.

Then again, going back, RE always had horrible controls.. so I don't see how this is any different (RE4's were the most fluid, but like I said earlier, they do not map out as good as they did on the GC).

anyone know how long the gold exclusive gonna be? i havn't logged on to see, and i don't have live =[. i played the japanese demo but i cant wait to try it co-op

[quote name='slickkill77']Some of you make very compelling arguments by calling other posters dumbasses because they don't like the controls. If they want to limit running and shooting thats fine but they could easily fix the controls to make the game better. Walking and shooting. Running and shooting could also be put in, just make the shooting more difficult. The whole inverntory system should be updated as well. But theres no point in argueing[/QUOTE]

No, there really is no point in arguing, as by the sound of it.. all you want is Gears of War with zombies. Why does every game need to be the same..? How hard is it to stop and shoot.. I mean honestly.

And making demos exclusive to gold members for a week is easily the stupidest thing Microsoft's done besides charging for wallpapers.

Stop and shoot makes it more intense. Plus can't deny the fun with the 180 degree turn and seeing a guy with an axe ready to swing and yelling "OH SHIT!!"

[quote name='ITDEFX']thanks![/quote]

Not a problem. By the fifth playthrough I figured it out. You practically can't miss a head shot when he charges at you full steam because the scope barely moves an itch. One of the most forgiving rifles I've used in a game to date.

[quote name='ITDEFX']
Oh do tell the details!
[/quote]

I usually play as Sheva, and what I would do is first shoot the power generator near the bottom of the stairs to do some damage. Then I would run around luring him into the red barrels, and shoot him in the face with the MP5 until he's stunned and kept on meleeing him.

When he's damaged enough, he'll be down on his knees with more than enough time for you to run up and melee him. I usually just did laps around/inside the building and run in circles repeating the shoot/melee tactic.

Oh, and use grenades if you have any, there's one in the truck before the stairs.

We were actually doing pretty good, stunning him and meleeing him until my dumbass friend tossed an incendiary when he's 2 feet infront of us, it bounces off him and blows up on us causing damage, then I think the other zombies rushed us when finally I was killed by him.

[quote name='ITDEFX']We were actually doing pretty good, stunning him and meleeing him until my dumbass friend tossed an incendiary when he's 2 feet infront of us, it bounces off him and blows up on us causing damage, then I think the other zombies rushed us when finally I was killed by him.[/quote]

LMAO!

Ouch. I usually tell whomever I'm partnered with cover my back and protect me from zombies while I deal with the guard myself if I'm Chris/hosting. We actually never leave the stairwell so long as I don't miss with the first shot. Because of the broken sniper in the demo unless you miss or run out of ammo he doesn't stand a chance, haha. Just remember to reload after you've landed the fourth shot and you're golden.

Now that I have a gold membership, I'm glad I can download this demo the day it's out and not wait a week like when i had silver.

....oh, what's this? Even though I'm 17 I have a "child account" and can't download "content with this rating?"

Oh, I see!

fuck you.

I hate to perpetuate the dropping of truthbombs on some of you $$$$as, but my boy TFN is correct. If you're looking for run-and-gun, cover, and super cool inventory systems, then you shouldn't be playing Resident Evil games.

It blows my mind that people are trashing the game because it is unique, insteading of breaking its mold (its large-selling, highly praised mold) to match the top-rated shooter games amongst the PS3 and Xbox 360. The game doesn't need active reloads, sandbags to take cover behind, chainsaws, airstrikes, lasers, '69 Chargers, Jason Statham, etc. to be good. The series has had its own way of taking you through each game, and it's worked well for years - why change it now? They took the right course in adding Co-Op, improving the graphics, and improving some gameplay mechanics (the quick D-Pad inventory access comes to mind), rather than attempt to fix something that's not broken.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']Either way, that would be his inability, and his inability, affects how he plays the game. If he can't do a simple dodge, then he can't. If that makes the game bad to him, then it does. That would be an opinion, and the players own fault if they can't do something; it's not something for you to comment negatively on.[/quote]What says an opinion can't be bad? Player's lack of ability doesn't automatically equal a bad game, no matter how badly someone wants to slap the it's my opinion so it can't be wrong tag on it.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']Let's for instance, say you can't beat a level in a game, and don't like the game because of it, or don't enjoy the experience anymore (if you say it's never happened to you, ever, then you must be either a brand new gamer, or someone who just doesn't play more then 2 games) due to not being able to beat that one level. That's your inability. You'll notice many others don't have this inability, but you do. Just because you do, doesn't mean you suck at the game, or your opinion doesn't matter. It's just you are unable to do what the game requests, for whatever reason.[/quote]I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you can't do shit in a game, constantly fail/get killed, and can't progress through a simple demo then you suck at the game (aside from the presence of a glitch or bug in the game that makes it impossible to move forward). Telling someone that they "don't suck at the game, you're just unable to do shit in the game for 'w/e reason' " is just a nice way of saying they stink. You're right in saying that it doesn't devalue one's opinion.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']As for wanting Gears and COD in his RE, they kind of promised they would be adding controls inspired by them, so not getting those Gears-like controls, or over-all fluid gaming experience that Gears supplies, is a viable excuse to not like a game.[/quote]What you are referring to is the inclusion of the "action controls" mentioned in various parts of this thread. They never once meant that they'd merge the classic RE gameplay with that of the two mentioned games.

This game is definitely not for me. I can already tell from the demo it's too hard for my taste, and in a generation without codes and gamesharks... I can't pay $60 for a game I won't be able to beat. If this game had an easy mode that bumps up your health and ammo supply massively I'd be down. I don't know why more games can't include difficulty settings to appeal to a broader range of players.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']What says an opinion can't be bad? Player's lack of ability doesn't automatically equal a bad game, no matter how badly someone wants to slap the it's my opinion so it can't be wrong tag on it.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say an opinion can't be bad, but that would be your opinion on their opinion. Still an opinion.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you can't do shit in a game, constantly fail/get killed, and can't progress through a simple demo then you suck at the game (aside from the presence of a glitch or bug in the game that makes it impossible to move forward). Telling someone that they "don't suck at the game, you're just unable to do shit in the game for 'w/e reason' " is just a nice way of saying they stink. You're right in saying that it doesn't devalue one's opinion.[/QUOTE]

How about a game like Puzzle Quest? I'd say that not everyone can beat it, but it's not because they suck, it's because the game is always different and ever changing. The same, whether you think it or not, applies to RE5, as you won't see two people play it the same way. If you can find me a video of two people taking the exact same steps, exact number of rounds fired, herbs used, shots going through the same spots on enemies, and all of that stuff, then you'll be correct, in that if you can't beat it, you simply suck.

However, in a game where it's ever changing, you don't know what they are going through. You might get swarmed with more zombies depending on simply where you stand, what you shoot, ect.

So, I still wouldn't agree with your assessment; I'm sure not everyone can beat RE4 Mercs. with a 5-star rating on all levels with all characters, but I could be saying that you just suck at the game if you can't. See how that works?

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']What you are referring to is the inclusion of the "action controls" mentioned in various parts of this thread. They never once meant that they'd merge the classic RE gameplay with that of the two mentioned games.[/QUOTE]

Well, from what I heard, they were going to try and do pretty much an exact replica. I guess I heard wrong on that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Either way, I don't care. I'll think what I want to, and people can think how they want to. After trying the demo a few more times, I'm starting to like it, but I also played with someone else, who agreed with my first assessment of awkward controls (I'm getting used to them now, but still, moving the camera while running would be not only easy.. but a great feature).

Now, my only real complaints are that you can't preempt a reload once started, so if someone, especially a boss comes upto, you can't run away, dodge, or anything, until you are reloaded. I still don't see why you can't reload on the run either, or even walk. Dead Space got it on the first try, is it going to take RE 6+ tries to get it?

I played the demo a little bit today. I was able to beat the first level (after a couple of tries) but wasn't able to beat the second. RE5 seems to be somewhat harder then RE4.

Part of my problem could be that I really need to get used to the controls, I've been spoiled by other shooters on the 360 and haven't played RE4 with a control pad in years. I'll also have to try out all of the control schemes.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Is Live down for anyone else?[/quote]
For awhile earlier today I got a message saying some Live features were currently unavailable, and the only thing parts of NXE I could access were My Xbox and my friends list.

i had played the demo about 3 weeks ago when it was available if you downloaded to a cd or dvd, i never beat any of the levels and it always froze, i was giving up on RE5, i gave it another try today with the RE4 style controls and i beat both demo levels, i am now keeping my pre-order from amazon for the CE, this demo got me excited about the game all over again. that damn chainsaw dude was a pain in the ass

Played the demo solo. I thought it was alright. About the same opinion as I had with RE4. Controls still suck and it's too hard for my tastes. Will try the demo in co-op with my friend (and soon to be roommate) and see if it's more fun in co-op. I definitely won't buy it, but my buddy loves the series so I suspect he'll pick it up and want to play co-op.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']This game is definitely not for me. I can already tell from the demo it's too hard for my taste, and in a generation without codes and gamesharks... I can't pay $60 for a game I won't be able to beat. If this game had an easy mode that bumps up your health and ammo supply massively I'd be down. I don't know why more games can't include difficulty settings to appeal to a broader range of players.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. That's one of my biggest pet peeves.

No reason they can't put in difficulty settings so those of us that hate hard games can just enjoy the experience. Some games I'll play on hard settings (i.e. Gears of War), but I usually play on normal or lower as I just like to play through games and enjoy the experience rather than challenge myself. So it annoys me when games have no settings and the default difficulty is too hard for me to enjoy the game.

That stupid executioner just killed me with one hit. Both Chris and Sheva had full health, dude just runs up, takes one swing and game-over. Demo = deleted. :(

bread's done
Back