Retail Employee Stories Part 6: The Life & Tragedies Of GrilledWitOnions

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='davo1224']*rings up X-Box 360*
Me: Would you like to get an extended warranty?
Cust: Why?! These things never break!

8-[[/quote]

Don't worry, you'll see him again in about six months to one year.

[quote name='thetoxicone']I work at a tv station and we always run psa's about the change to digital and we get these same emails all of the time.[/QUOTE]

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6557252.html

The NBC station in Las Vegas did an simulation of what will happen when Feburary 17th comes to folks who rely on OTA signals. Honestly I think this will certainly awaken a few folks out there to this. Then again I find the whole idea of yanking analog OTA in one swoop bad compared to Europe which is doing it in stages.

An bit off topic for this thread but I figured this is interesting info given the discussion.

Working at a lan center, and we rent out 360 controllers, and ask for collateral (Driver's License, photo ID, cell phone, basically something worth equal or more than the 360 controller) to sign out a controller and one kid asked me if I would take a pack of gum.

sigh.

[quote name='anomynous']I work at Kmart, and had a guy ask where we carry cassettes.

And another for a PS1 power cord[/quote]

The ONLY thing I could think with that is some people may still use answering machines or voice recorders that take the mini-cassette tapes but I take it he wanted full-size cassette's then? Was he trying to record stuff off the radio like in the 70's?

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Alright, so I'm at work in my Verizon store (just put my 2 weeks in btw), and in comes customers. Dad is an ass and mom sounds drunk, kid is alright. Of course eventually they see the unlimited calling plan we offer now for $100 (which is PER LINE) and start to get upset because they have "5000 minutes and pay about $150 a month for three lines".

I pull up the account and see it's a 1400 minute plan for $90+1 extra line, $10. Each phone has $5 insurance, add $15. One line has a text pack, add $20. So they are paying $135+ taxes for their 1400 family share, about $45 a line, not too bad I suppose (well, in contrast to other carriers; all cell service is way overpriced IMO, no matter who you go through).

I'm explaining this, the minutes and price, the mom seems fine (although slurry), and suddenly the dad says, "Well I just can't stand this service anymore, my phone won't hold a charge for more than 5 minutes!"

Look at the account, he's had the phone for THREE YEARS. I explain that phone batteries only last so long, so it's probably the battery; he can buy a new one for $40-$50, use his insurance to get a new refurb phone (for a $50 deductable), or set up a new contract for a brand new phone for nothing, maybe $50 w/ a $50 rebate. Guy flips out, doesn't want a contract, says our service sucks. It's his battery, I am 100% positive. I tried to tell him he can just buy a new battery, but he left angry.

I hate people. So glad I'm quitting.[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain man, I work for cell company too. and its the exact same with us, especially when people break their phones, while still early in contract, and expect us to get them a free phone. We do not make the phones, we are in the business of selling the service and we happen to carry the equipment to do that. This is an example of what I have told people before, If you knock off your tv and it breaks, you do not call your cable/tv provider and demand a new tv. As different as that sounds that is exactly what people are doing if they call into us and demand a free phone, we have to pay the manufacturer of the phone so thats why it is near impossible to get that phone out for free in alot of situations.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']I feel your pain man, I work for cell company too. and its the exact same with us, especially when people break their phones, while still early in contract, and expect us to get them a free phone. We do not make the phones, we are in the business of selling the service and we happen to carry the equipment to do that. This is an example of what I have told people before, If you knock off your tv and it breaks, you do not call your cable/tv provider and demand a new tv. As different as that sounds that is exactly what people are doing if they call into us and demand a free phone, we have to pay the manufacturer of the phone so thats why it is near impossible to get that phone out for free in alot of situations.[/quote]Exactly; the phones aren't free to the stores that sell them. People don't seem to get WHY phones are cheap with a contract, although thinking for maybe 1 second will make it obvious: you are agreeing to pay a bill for service over the course of a year or two; the phone will pay for itself and then some. So the $100 pantech is free with contract because, hey you're being ripped off on your bill!
I also hate that people get mad about the difference in discounted phone credit between a primary line and a secondary on a family share. One woman acted as though it was the end of the world and all of the service was terrible because she couldn't get the new activation price on a secondary upgrade. But it's obvious why: the primary pays a large sum and secondary's pay $10. Less payment in contract means phones cost more since Verizon won't be making up the difference as well.

In other news, yesterday was my last day. VERY happy to leave that place. Disorganized and ridiculous. I have an interview on monday for an armored truck service... no more customers!

Just had a lady come in and make a $40 purchase (odor absorbing filters for her Oreck air purifier.) This is a minor purchase for the store (new machines run $300-$750.) and she had "SEE ID" only in the signature section of her credit card. She was the last in a long line of customers I had go through so I really didn't want to bother with such a small purchase so I scanned the card and had her sign the receipt.

The stupid bitch then gets insulted about me not asking for her signature. I advise her that I can't make seeing ID a refusal of purchase and it was small enough I didn't want to bother with it. She says people do this to protect themselves and "I guess they don't teach those things in school" and stormed out of the store.

Thing is if I really wanted to push the issue, "SEE ID" is not a valid signature and I could force her to show her license, write her signature on the back of the card, and then check the signature to the license and refuse her transaction until she does that. Maybe SHE is the one that needs to go back to school ...

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Exactly; the phones aren't free to the stores that sell them. People don't seem to get WHY phones are cheap with a contract, although thinking for maybe 1 second will make it obvious: you are agreeing to pay a bill for service over the course of a year or two; the phone will pay for itself and then some. So the $100 pantech is free with contract because, hey you're being ripped off on your bill!
I also hate that people get mad about the difference in discounted phone credit between a primary line and a secondary on a family share. One woman acted as though it was the end of the world and all of the service was terrible because she couldn't get the new activation price on a secondary upgrade. But it's obvious why: the primary pays a large sum and secondary's pay $10. Less payment in contract means phones cost more since Verizon won't be making up the difference as well.

In other news, yesterday was my last day. VERY happy to leave that place. Disorganized and ridiculous. I have an interview on monday for an armored truck service... no more customers![/QUOTE]

Im about to be gone too, Im on the call center side of things, good luck on the new job, plus guns and firing holes.

Lady walks up to me and says "you seem to be a techy person, fix this." And she hands over an Ipod. Not a newer ipod, one of the second generation Ipods and she expects me to fix it for her. There's really not much I can do so I try the reset codes that I know of and it doesn't work so I hand her the tech support pamphlet and send her on her way.

Another lady is buying a tv and of course she asks about the changeover.
H"I get cable through the wall, will this tv be fine for the changeover in 2009."
M"Yeah, but even if you didn't get a new tv, it'll still be fine; the changeover only affects people with rabbit ears."
H"But what about my son, he's plugged into the wall and he doesn't pay anything, does he need a new tv?"
M"He's getting normal cable, if it's not bunny ears, it should be fine."
H"But he's not paying for it, won't he have to do something?"
M *I get tired and look directly in her eyes*"The changeover only affects people with rabbit ears. If you don't have rabbit ears, you don't have to worry about it."
H"But I don't have rabbit ears, that means I'll have to get something new right?"
M"The changeover only affects rabbit ears."
H"So my son doesn't have to get anything right?"
M"Correct, the changeover only affects people with rabbit ears"

The sheer idiocy of people who do illegal things is astounding. You think they'd be covert. Nope. I can't tell you how many people come into my job trying to find unique ways to hide their black box or how many people wanna learn how to steal wireless internet.

[quote name='sonderiaom']Lady walks up to me and says "you seem to be a techy person, fix this." And she hands over an Ipod. Not a newer ipod, one of the second generation Ipods and she expects me to fix it for her. There's really not much I can do so I try the reset codes that I know of and it doesn't work so I hand her the tech support pamphlet and send her on her way.

H"I get cable through the wall, will this tv be fine for the changeover in 2009."
M"Yeah, but even if you didn't get a new tv, it'll still be fine; the changeover only affects people with rabbit ears."
H"But what about my son, he's plugged into the wall and he doesn't pay anything, does he need a new tv?"
M *I get tired and look directly in her eyes*"The changeover only affects people with rabbit ears. If you don't have rabbit ears, you don't have to worry about it."
H"But I don't have rabbit ears, that means I'll have to get something new right?"
M"Correct, the changeover only affects people with rabbit ears"[/quote]So since I have cable I will need a new tv right?

;)

[quote name='sonderiaom']Lady walks up to me and says "you seem to be a techy person, fix this." And she hands over an Ipod. Not a newer ipod, one of the second generation Ipods and she expects me to fix it for her. There's really not much I can do so I try the reset codes that I know of and it doesn't work so I hand her the tech support pamphlet and send her on her way.

M"Correct, the changeover only affects people with rabbit ears"[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't just plug the cable into the back of the tv unless you have a digital decoder in the tv. You would still need some kind of Set Top Box or digital decoder to decode the digital signal to something your Tv understands.

[quote name='dmdragon']I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't just plug the cable into the back of the tv unless you have a digital decoder in the tv. You would still need some kind of Set Top Box or digital decoder to decode the digital signal to something your Tv understands.[/QUOTE]

You are wrong.

[quote name='SeanAmI122886']You are wrong.[/QUOTE]

Actually I was looking, It depends on whether your cable provider even provides any analog signal at all. If they go full digital with everything on a digital tier then you do need something to convert that digital signal back to analog

[quote name='dmdragon']I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't just plug the cable into the back of the tv unless you have a digital decoder in the tv. You would still need some kind of Set Top Box or digital decoder to decode the digital signal to something your Tv understands.[/quote]

If the tv has a digital tv tuner in it (as all the ones that we are selling have) than all they have to do is plug the coaxial cable into the back of the tv and they'll get everything after they do a search. If they want HD, above channel 13, they need a box.

Even still though, the changeover only affects over the air broadcasts. Local comcast is still going to broadcast analog for 2 years at least. Hence the "rabbit ears are the only things affected by the 2009 changeover".

[quote name='sonderiaom']If the tv has a digital tv tuner in it (as all the ones that we are selling have) than all they have to do is plug the coaxial cable into the back of the tv and they'll get everything after they do a search. If they want HD, above channel 13, they need a box.

Even still though, the changeover only affects over the air broadcasts. Local comcast is still going to broadcast analog for 2 years at least. Hence the "rabbit ears are the only things affected by the 2009 changeover".[/QUOTE]

Well that's what I meant, if you want to plug the cable in the back of the tv without an stb then you need a digital tuner of some kind inf the tv. I was talking about old analog tv's that don't have digital tuners. I believe too it is up to the provider whether to keep providing analog signal. If they provide it then great, but not all are I don't think

[quote name='MSUHitman']The ONLY thing I could think with that is some people may still use answering machines or voice recorders that take the mini-cassette tapes but I take it he wanted full-size cassette's then? Was he trying to record stuff off the radio like in the 70's?[/QUOTE]

No, he was looking for actual cassettes with music. This was an older guy, and he said CDs are rip offs because they keep wanting you to move to the next thing. He might of had a point 20 years ago........

[quote name='anomynous']No, he was looking for actual cassettes with music. This was an older guy, and he said CDs are rip offs because they keep wanting you to move to the next thing. He might of had a point 20 years ago........[/QUOTE]

I have actually purchased cassettes at k-mart within the past 6 years, then one day i went in to buy some and they were gone. I just didn't want the hassle of installing a cd player in my truck, but eventually i did.

I work for an independent game store and i've had more than a few gems:

The standard "do you have Mario for the Xbox/Playstation?

The other day some guy came in with some old sports games (Madden 2002, Triple play 2003, stuff like that). I told him he'd get $4.50 cash, his reply? "You're robbing people, that's fucking robbery." The worst part is there were a couple real young kids in the store as he was cussing up a storm.

A while back a guy brought in a really old madden that we sell for .99 cents. I told him we give a quarter for it. His response: "But i paid $50 for this!!"

Last week a mom and her two kids were in the store and one of our regulars (a really personable black guy) started talking to her youngest kid , who was about four. The kid said "i dont talk to black people". Boy did moms face get red.

We get tons of people trying to haggle over prices. Do you go to target and haggle? Then why try it here!?

Another one of our regulars is this creepy 30ish year old guy. We call him "The Ruiner" because even if you're just sitting there minding your own business, he'll spout off EVERY detail of virtually any game you can think of. He'll go on for literally half an hour plus no matter how uninterested you act. He also habit of sitting down in front of our strategy guide section and just reading guides.

He farts up a storm practically every time he's in the store too. Last but not least, we have a demo station set up for people to try out games. There have been numerous times (literally dozens) where he's played the demo for 8+ hours straight. If someone else tries to play, he either brushes it off or stands over their shoulder playing vicariously through whoever dared to play his demo.

I once got a phone call asking for our phone number.

That's a start, i have many more i'll post up later.

[quote name='JDN169']Another one of our regulars is this creepy 30ish year old guy. We call him "The Ruiner" because even if you're just sitting there minding your own business, he'll spout off EVERY detail of virtually any game you can think of. He'll go on for literally half an hour plus no matter how uninterested you act. He also habit of sitting down in front of our strategy guide section and just reading guides.

He farts up a storm practically every time he's in the store too. Last but not least, we have a demo station set up for people to try out games. There have been numerous times (literally dozens) where he's played the demo for 8+ hours straight. If someone else tries to play, he either brushes it off or stands over their shoulder playing vicariously through whoever dared to play his demo.[/QUOTE]

So why haven't you kicked him out of the store yet? You are on private property and all therefore you are within legal rights to do so.

[quote name='Demolition Man']So why haven't you kicked him out of the store yet? You are on private property and all therefore you are within legal rights to do so.[/quote]

Because he does occasionally spend money and the owner doesn't feel the need to take that step just yet.

[quote name='JDN169']Because he does occasionally spend money and the owner doesn't feel the need to take that step just yet.[/quote]

I would seriously consider doing this as a bad apple can affect the whole store. While this is card game related there's this one mid-20's guy (very overweight and with the temperment of a 12-year old) who is banned from almost every single tabletop gaming store in St. Louis because of his behavior. He has single-handedly killed certain games at stores in the area (like the WoW card game.) The game he's best at, Pokemon, he's been lifetime banned by Nintendo from.

He's a good guy when he acts normal, but when he loses he throws temper tantrums, including slamming fists into walls and throwing decks, which he did to me at a VS Hobby League back in late 04/early 05.

The only reason stores put up with him, until they give him no other choice, is because he spends every single entertainment dollar in his budget on whatever card game he is playing at the time. No video games and not much music/movies, just card games. He's almost like fool's gold in that respect.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I would seriously consider doing this as a bad apple can affect the whole store. While this is card game related there's this one mid-20's guy (very overweight and with the temperment of a 12-year old) who is banned from almost every single tabletop gaming store in St. Louis because of his behavior. He has single-handedly killed certain games at stores in the area (like the WoW card game.) The game he's best at, Pokemon, he's been lifetime banned by Nintendo from.

He's a good guy when he acts normal, but when he loses he throws temper tantrums, including slamming fists into walls and throwing decks, which he did to me at a VS Hobby League back in late 04/early 05.

The only reason stores put up with him, until they give him no other choice, is because he spends every single entertainment dollar in his budget on whatever card game he is playing at the time. No video games and not much music/movies, just card games. He's almost like fool's gold in that respect.[/QUOTE]

PhilHellmuth.jpg

[quote name='CocheseUGA']
PhilHellmuth.jpg
[/quote]

LOL :)

Hellmuth is just big boned, this guy I mentioned would bust a Wii Fit pad in a heartbeat and is shorter than me (I'm 6' 1".)
Plus Hellmuth has never thrown his cards in another player's face that I can recall, he just cusses them out. His temperment is SLIGHTLY better than the guy I mentioned.

Don't get me wrong I'm in no way a Hellmuth fan. I'm in the Daniel Negraneau/Phil Gordon camp.

[quote name='JDN169']Because he does occasionally spend money and the owner doesn't feel the need to take that step just yet.[/QUOTE]

I would lose the few sales from this one guy if its affecting many sales from others.

i work in a plant nursery. when i started there i thought how nice it was going to be to work with normal people...

2 years ago i had an old man ask me if i'd like to take of my shirt for him.

[quote name='JDN169']
We get tons of people trying to haggle over prices. Do you go to target and haggle? Then why try it here!?
[/QUOTE]

People think that it's a small non chain store so they can get away with that. I work in an independent store as well and get that all the time. People say we should be selling an item for a certain price. You're right, they wouldn't dare try it at Target or Walmart.

It's bad now because we are raising prices due to suppliers raising prices (plus fuel surcharges due to high gas prices). People get annoyed and act like the store is being greedy but they don't complain when Target raises their prices.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']People think that it's a small non chain store so they can get away with that. I work in an independent store as well and get that all the time. People say we should be selling an item for a certain price. You're right, they wouldn't dare try it at Target or Walmart.[/quote]I've had people try to haggle me at GS and Blockbuster. Never understood it. If something is priced, or there is some pricing info somewhere, it's not really open for negotiation. But, expecially at GS, people are used to Pawn Shop rules (I'm guessing they probably do more of whatever the hell they want), so when trading people act as though it's an insult to offer $1 for Madden 2006 (which btw is a great offer to receive). People would get all pissy when I said that basically I scan the item and they get whatever credit corp decides upon.

The best were those that said "the place down the road will give me double that!"
Seems like that's the place to go then, doesn't it.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I've had people try to haggle me at GS and Blockbuster. Never understood it. If something is priced, or there is some pricing info somewhere, it's not really open for negotiation. But, expecially at GS, people are used to Pawn Shop rules (I'm guessing they probably do more of whatever the hell they want), so when trading people act as though it's an insult to offer $1 for Madden 2006 (which btw is a great offer to receive). People would get all pissy when I said that basically I scan the item and they get whatever credit corp decides upon.

The best were those that said "the place down the road will give me double that!"
Seems like that's the place to go then, doesn't it.[/quote]

Maybe they saw the news report saying that most (well...some) stores are unofficially OK with haggling:

The fine art of haggling
You can negotiate a discount no matter what you buy or where you shop

Donna Montaldo scored a $175 discount when she bought a gas stove from an appliance store in Louisiana. Sally Greenberg wrangled $100 off the price of a flat-screen TV at Best Buy in Washington, D.C. How? By simply asking.

If you thought haggling was limited to car dealerships and mom-and-pop stores, it's time to broaden your horizons. Nationwide department-store chains, exclusive clothiers, and big-box discounters are open to negotiating prices. You just have to know how and when to approach them.

copied from:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...overview/0707_the-fine-art-of-haggling_ov.htm

------------

I thought I remembered, rading one or more of these stories so I just picked that one at random to illustrate my point... no idea when it's from... :)

Edit: Re-read it and saw that it's from last July... anyways...

You can google "haggle" yourself and find more...

There's a difference between haggling a big ticket item and a video game. It's one thing when you're buying a $600 tv, it's much easier to knock off the price a bit to encourage a sale. To expect to be able to haggle a video game when the profit margin is already so slim is a joke.

[quote name='Zarathos']Maybe they saw the news report saying that most (well...some) stores are unofficially OK with haggling:

The fine art of haggling
You can negotiate a discount no matter what you buy or where you shop

Donna Montaldo scored a $175 discount when she bought a gas stove from an appliance store in Louisiana. Sally Greenberg wrangled $100 off the price of a flat-screen TV at Best Buy in Washington, D.C. How? By simply asking.

If you thought haggling was limited to car dealerships and mom-and-pop stores, it's time to broaden your horizons. Nationwide department-store chains, exclusive clothiers, and big-box discounters are open to negotiating prices. You just have to know how and when to approach them.

copied from:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...overview/0707_the-fine-art-of-haggling_ov.htm

------------

I thought I remembered, rading one or more of these stories so I just picked that one at random to illustrate my point... no idea when it's from... :)

Edit: Re-read it and saw that it's from last July... anyways...

You can google "haggle" yourself and find more...[/quote]

You do realize that big chain stores like Best Buy and Circuit City sell everything well over MSRP? This is for haggling reasons hence why she was able to. I got $300 of my flat screen by asking last year too. Most of the workers discount is 10% over what the company paid for the item. Now imagine how much the price is for us customers.....a lot.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Just had a lady come in and make a $40 purchase (odor absorbing filters for her Oreck air purifier.) This is a minor purchase for the store (new machines run $300-$750.) and she had "SEE ID" only in the signature section of her credit card. She was the last in a long line of customers I had go through so I really didn't want to bother with such a small purchase so I scanned the card and had her sign the receipt.

The stupid bitch then gets insulted about me not asking for her signature. I advise her that I can't make seeing ID a refusal of purchase and it was small enough I didn't want to bother with it. She says people do this to protect themselves and "I guess they don't teach those things in school" and stormed out of the store.

Thing is if I really wanted to push the issue, "SEE ID" is not a valid signature and I could force her to show her license, write her signature on the back of the card, and then check the signature to the license and refuse her transaction until she does that. Maybe SHE is the one that needs to go back to school ...[/quote]

AHahah, I work at a small retail store for the past 3 years while iv been going to college, and for the first 6 months or so I would ask for ID because I thought it was nice to do for them.

But after that I stopped caring. Some lady yelled at me for not checking her ID and I just said "I don't care if you lose your ID and someone else uses it, its your fault for not canceling your credit card when you lose it."

Man I talk back way to much to crappy customers, I love it!

I used to work at Costco, we closed at 8:30 on weekdays and Saturday. I had pretty cool managers and they always told us that right at 8:30 close the huge gate door.

That was pretty much the best thing about my job, cause you would see people sprint towards the door and BANG slam down the door before they could make it. Was pretty funny, just remember them yelling "I JUST NEED A THING OF MILK" well go to Walmart down the road.

I think I may have one:

I work in a supermarket in a really small town, where we are the dominant store of the 2 in the town lol. Anyways, my parents own the place and I work there as a cashier/stocker/bagger/etc.

A few months ago, a 40-50 something year old guy gets to my checkstand and decides to use a check to pay with everything. He hands me the check, and the check number is 251. Note that he's trying to purchase $70+ worth of groceries. I immediately ask him for his ID and tell him to write his phone number onto his check. I run his ID through our machine which can tell us if the account is empty or not. Keep in mind, this machine is painfully slow compared to bigger retail places. So then I hand him a slip that the machine had printed out, asking him to sign. He then proceeds to go off on me, yelling garbage like "Why the f*** am I signing something when I'm using a check?!?! If I wanted to sign a piece of paper, I would've used credit!" At that point, he's attracted the attention of my dad and everyone around us, but he just keeps on ranting about not wanting to sign it. Finally, my dad manages to calm him down enough to leave, but not before using a couple of choice words with me. Right before he leaves, I manage to say, "Maybe if your credit wasn't so bad, I wouldn't have to check you using the machine."

He turns around and starts to repeat "What the hell did you just say?!?"
I say, "Have a goodnight sir."

Luckily my dad owns the place so I have breathing room in dealing with asshole customers.

[quote name='Wolf_of_Mibu']"Why the f*** am I signing something when I'm using a check?!?! If I wanted to sign a piece of paper, I would've used credit!"[/QUOTE]

Isn't a check basically a bunch of writing on a piece of paper? What a moron.

This was on Tuesday:

A woman comes in asking my dad to cash her check at the counter. Right when my dad is in the middle of cashing her check, a big, angry, shirtless, black man who happened to park in the disabled parking space came RUNNING into the store after the woman.

Black dude: Bitch where's my f***in' $40!?!
Woman: Can you please call the police on him? (speaking to my dad)
Black dude: You better give me my motherf***in' money bitch!

Dude walks off and drives away. One of the more bizarre moments I've witnessed.

We don't have applications (no real need as we'd only use a couple a year) and only accept resumes. This kid came in and asked if he could get an application. I informed him we only accept resumes. "can i have one?" :roll:

Had a phone call yesterday asking if we bought old sports illustrated magazines (makes perfect sense for a store called The Game Haven).

Lots of people complain about our used prices despite the fact that we mark everything a couple dollars cheaper than Gamestop.

Had a guy call asking about Wii's:
C: "Do you have any Wii's in stock.
M: "sorry we're all sold out."
C: "Man what's the deal with that, there's no way you're selling them all. Employees must be getting to them."

I then had to explain to him that the Wii is an in demand item and sells pretty quick.

We only sell disc based games in our store if they have the original case and instructions (we sell incompletes on our ebay store). Being incomplete, we only usually give $1 store credit on them unless they're really new or valuable. While some people (myself included) really appreciate this, most can't understand what the big deal is and why anyone would want instructions they'll never use.

A guy was trading in some games and his total came to $8 cash. He was trying to get $10 and offered "some rolling tobacco, a new bic lighter, and a real nice roach clip." to bring his total up.

Holy crap, I work in a local computer store as a bench tech. I just had a guy come in literally 10 mins ago asking if we sell 80 gigaWATT hard drives!!

seriously gigaWATT

Probably just misinformed about what they are called, but to avoid laughing int he guys face I told him I would go check on the price.

I also get a giggle out of the numerous things people call the case/computer.
modem, hard drive, thinker and other various things I cannot remember.

--

I had a guy call asking if we could install XP Vista on his "modem", referring to the pc obviously, I said sure bring it in and we will see what we can do. So about an hour later the guy brings it in.

I look at the computer, I look at the guy, I look at the computer again.

The computer he brings in is a super fast 486 dx100, with a monster 500mb hard drive and a slick 4x cd-rom drive.

I tell the guy this computer will not run Vista because it doesn't meet the min requirements. He stare's at me dumbfounded. I mean come on people, the computer is at least 12 or more years old! And the guy is looking at me like it's my fault he just wasted 300 bucks on a copy of Vista!

[quote name='l3lasphemer']The computer he brings in is a super fast 486 dx100, with a monster 500mb hard drive and a slick 4x cd-rom drive. [/quote]

LOL! Ah, the memories of working in the computer business.:D

Just something I overheard at work the other day:

"So I hear that in Metal Gear Solid 4, if you shoot someone in the leg, they get shot in the leg!"

And then the all too common response of "I have Windows" when asked if their PC meets the requirements of whatever game they are purchasing. Sigh.

Ohh boy,

what a fun day, guy brings his laptop in, he stresses not once but 3 times that he just bought it 2 days ago. Ok no problem, I open it up and the screen is cracked something fierce, spiderwebs going all over the place. I inform him of this and he tells me that yes, he knows and this genius that just spent 2 grand on the laptop 2 days ago tells me, yeah I was drinking the other night and sat on it!!! :applause::applause:
I tell him well, I could replace the screen but it would cost a good bit, replacement screen was like 300 bucks or something, not counting our labor charge. All together it would cost about 500 bucks with tax.

He said that he contacted HP and that the warranty would not cover drunkenly sitting on the laptop he just bought 2 days ago.

No way ya think?!
sucks to be him.

----

Phone conversation

me: computer store this is me
tard: I need to get a power cord for my dell laptop
me: ok we can order you one, might take a couple of days
tard: why do you have to order it?
me: because we dont have a stock of every make and model laotop power cords
tard: ... click

----

Another phone conversation

tard: hi, i just bought a new mac book pro and I cannot figure out how to install xp on it, can you do that?
me: (laughs) really? seriously?
tard: yes i cannot figure out how
me: :wall::wall::wall:

I know that you can use parallels to do this, but he wanted to only use XP and not OSX

I had a lady come in and exchange a grill for a display model....

The reason?

The grill was in pieces and had to be put together

[quote name='l3lasphemer']
Another phone conversation

tard: hi, i just bought a new mac book pro and I cannot figure out how to install xp on it, can you do that?
me: (laughs) really? seriously?
tard: yes i cannot figure out how
me: :wall::wall::wall:

I know that you can use parallels to do this, but he wanted to only use XP and not OSX[/quote]

Well actually you can dual boot OSX and XP using Apple's Boot Camp application. Our secretaries use 20'' flat screen iMacs and ONLY use Windows XP. So yes it can be done but I think it's completely stupid.

[quote name='rainking187']Isn't a check basically a bunch of writing on a piece of paper? What a moron.[/quote]
Not to mention you're required to sign a check. :)

Great threads, guys, by the way. Finally got done reading all of them. Here's my gem for the day.

I work Phone Tech Support at a fairly high profile web-hosting company.

This lady calls in wanting her password. We're able to pull up passwords on any account, and do so often because people frequently seem to forget them. She's talking my ear off that she has had to change her password several times because the previous tech she spoke with kept speaking the new password over the phone because that supposedly violates some fictitious privacy act to tell someone their own password over the phone. Ohhhh kayyyy.... someone is paranoid. So she made me promise her I wouldn't do so. I did, and she says, "Good, now I won't have to report you."

So yeah, this conversation is already starting out gold. I ask her if I could put her on a brief hold while I look up some information on the account. This sparks the following conversation:

C: "What kind of information are you looking up?"
M: "Just some of your user information, your IP address and your domain information, so I can make sure you're logging in the right place with the right info."
C: "You don't need that info! I'm telling you where I'm at right now, and I'm getting a red X at the login screen saying invalid password! Just send me the password!"
M: "Ma'am, this is standard procedure to make sure everything's being done properly."
C: "I don't need this!" *CLICK*
M: :wave:

Looking up the account info after the call, I found that the type of account she was using didn't even HAVE that kind of login page. So yes, she was logging into the wrong place.

:dunce:

[quote name='rainking187']Isn't a check basically a bunch of writing on a piece of paper? What a moron.[/quote]
Not to mention you're required to sign a check. :)

Great threads, guys, by the way. Finally got done reading all of them. Here's my gem for the day.

This lady calls in wanting her password. We're able to pull up passwords on any account, and do so often because people frequently seem to forget them. She's talking my ear off that she has had to change her password several times because the previous tech she spoke with kept speaking the new password over the phone because that supposedly violates some fictitious privacy act to tell someone their own password over the phone. Ohhhh kayyyy.... someone is paranoid. So she made me promise her I wouldn't do so. I did, and she says, "Good, now I won't have to report you."

So yeah, this conversation is already starting out gold. I ask her if I could put her on a brief hold while I look up some information on the account (because the company frowns on dead air time). This sparks the following conversation:

M: "Just some of your user information, your IP address and your domain information, so I can make sure you're logging in the right place with the right info."
C: "You don't need that info! I'm telling you where I'm at right now, and I'm getting a red X at the login screen saying invalid password! Just send me the password!"
M: "Ma'am, this is standard procedure to make sure everything's being done properly."

Looking up the account info after the call, I found that the type of account she was using didn't even HAVE that kind of login page. So yes, she was logging into the wrong place.

:dunce:

[quote name='Zorpheus']Not to mention you're required to sign a check. :)

So yeah, this conversation is already starting out gold. I ask her if I could put her on a brief hold while I look up some information on the account (because the company frowns on dead air time). This sparks the following conversation:

:dunce:[/quote]

And this is exactly why we have to deal with stupid "lowest common denominator" stuff when we reach tier I of any support line and even if you say you tried that you have to try it again.

We have two separate stores where i work, an ebay store and the retail store. My wife works at the ebay store but around christmas she was in the retail store occasionally to help out.

This woman comes in and asks "what's a good DS game for a 6 year old girl?" Not knowing myself what 6 year old girls like, i call on some female help thinking she'll at least have a better idea.

The woman picks up a new copy of "Imagine Fashion Designer" and goes about her merry way.

About two weeks later i'm working and she brings the game back (opened).

Her: "I'd like to return this, my daughter didn't like it."
Me: "sorry, this game's been opened, the best i can do is take it as a trade in for store credit."
Her: "But that woman recommended this!"
Me: "Sorry, you asked her opinion and she did her best with the information she was given. She didn't force you to buy it."
Her: "Well that's just ridiculous."

She ended up trading it in without too much fuss after that.

------------------------------------------

We have a buy one get one sale on DVD's going on right now. Yesterday these two gangsta kids came in and asked about the sale.

Gangsta Kid: So these are buy one get one free?
Me: Sure are.
GK: how does that work?
M: You buy one, then you get a second one free, the cheaper of the two is the free one.
GK: OK

So they cruise the DVD's for about 20 minutes, asking about the sale several more times ("buy two get one free right?"). They finally bring a few DVD's to the counter and ask about some more, which they then proceed to look for.

After another 20 minutes of asking about the sale every couple minutes they bring up another stack:

GK: I want these.
M: (holding up their previous stack) Did you still want these as well?
GK: We brought those up here? (honestly confused)

I'm not sure what they were high on but it must have been some strong stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back