RetroCon PS2 Controller - $4.99 @ Best Buy

Mojimbo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
67 (100%)
I just saw this at a B&M. Would've picked one up but I already have two first party controllers and can't imagine what I could use this for but I figured some of you might be interested.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1091102280924&skuId=6818045&type=product

here is a review from IGN:

retrocon_081403_160.jpg

http://gear.ign.com/articles/433/433778p1.html

I picked up 6 of them today... I don't know y I did that.. maybe as gift to friends...

But cag making me spent more money on games then I use too...

Picked up 2...going to return 1 (right thumbstick shitty) but the one thats not broken works great. Just use it with Katamri/Ape Escape 2/Kingdom hearts. And i like the lights :)

I will prob pick up one tomorrow when I go to bestbuy to pick up some new dvd releases. Thanks for the heads up OP

It works fine on an old PS2...I just tried it on TTT

Thanks. I was fairly certain it was a PStwo issue. The controller is awesome though. The light up effect is great because I have a projector so I am always sitting in the dark playing. I wish someone made a light up wireless controller.

If anyone has one of these on the new PStwo, let me know if both buttons at once work (best tested on a fighting game like Tekken).

For five bucks they are cool enough to try and mod them for PC use or something, or just for use with RPGs and stuff that don't need two buttons (esp old school RPGs like FF I&II collection).

Thanks OP. This is great. Got a black one and a blue one today. Also got the GTA:SA wheel for $17 and the store's last Netplay controller for $17.

And yes, the glitch is dead.

-DM

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='The Successful Dropout']bought 3 for in-store pick-up....thanks op[/quote]

you must have alot of hands.[/quote]

my nephew was finally aloud to have a ps2 this past christmas and ill probably throw one his way....not to mention that he brought it to my attention this past weekend that one my dualshock 2 controllers is broke :censored: so i might pick up a few more in-store if they have any different colors....if not, oh well....ill be happy with the 3 that i ordered

Do you have to pay for shipping if you do store pickup? The reason I ask is because I was going to pricematch a FPS Master controller from the bestbuy website at a bestbuy store and they were going to charge me for the shipping.

Thanks OP!
Ordered one for instore pickup and got it after work tonight. They didn't have any left in the games section and I didn't even see a tag anywhere. Glad I got in on this one, I've wanted it for a long time.

I'll be surprised if these are still in stock today, but stranger things have certainly happened before. We'll see soon enough anyway. Here's hoping there is another one (or two) left at my local B&M store.

Picked up one yesterday at Best Buy on Touhy. They still have a bunch more in gray or blue but I got the last black one :D .

They are marked $14.99 but ring up at $4.99.

I order it for store pick up but when I went there they did not have it picked and I had to run so I just pulled one off the shelf.

[quote name='flybrione']Picked up one yesterday at Best Buy on Touhy. They still have a bunch more in gray or blue but I got the last black one :D .

They are marked $14.99 but ring up at $4.99.

I order it for store pick up but when I went there they did not have it picked and I had to run so I just pulled one off the shelf.[/quote]

Same thing happened with. It would have been faster to just go through a real register

I picked up a black one last night and put it through its paces a few minutes with R-Type Delta. I think the review from IGN is dead on.

The first thing I thought about when I took it out of its package was how well it was built for being so small. It has a very nice feel holding it in your hands and I especially like the rubberized grip on the back of the controller. The buttons are also nice and very responsive and the backlighting is a really cool feature. I also had no problem with the way they chose to put the shoulder buttons side to side (to keep the slim profile) instead of back to front.

There are a few negatives. My main gripe is that D-pad. It has a very low profile, almost to the point that it feels as if the d-pad is sticking if you are used to the give of other controllers. It is like you have to press down kind of hard to get the response you want and doing so makes it seem like the face of the d-pad is actually inside the controller. It just makes for a sluggish and sloppy feel for it all.

While I like the stiffness of the analog sticks (a little more stiff than the Dual Shock and a lot more than the cordless Logitech controller), I thought that they were a little small and too close together. I like to use the ball of my thumb instead of the tip for analog control and doing so causes my thumbs to constantly wrestle with eachother for space. If you use the tips of your thumbs though, this shouldn't be a problem. I consider myself to have normal sized hands (no problems with the old NES bone controller) but I wanted a little more analog stick to hold on to. Just like someone else in this thread mentioned, I also found that you had to press pretty hard to get the analog sticks to click. And for some reason the left one was harder to click than the right.

Overall, I'm pretty happy, especially considering the value. I plan to pick up another one so my daughter can use if for Katamari. If I had to rate it, I would give it a 7/10 due to the d-pad and analog sticks but for the value its a 9/10 considering you don't use the D-pad much.

[quote name='rperez1025']I picked up a black one last night and put it through its paces a few minutes with R-Type Delta. I think the review from IGN is dead on.

The first thing I thought about when I took it out of its package was how well it was built for being so small. It has a very nice feel holding it in your hands and I especially like the rubberized grip on the back of the controller. The buttons are also nice and very responsive and the backlighting is a really cool feature. I also had no problem with the way they chose to put the shoulder buttons side to side (to keep the slim profile) instead of back to front.

There are a few negatives. My main gripe is that D-pad. It has a very low profile, almost to the point that it feels as if the d-pad is sticking if you are used to the give of other controllers. It is like you have to press down kind of hard to get the response you want and doing so makes it seem like the face of the d-pad is actually inside the controller. It just makes for a sluggish and sloppy feel for it all.

While I like the stiffness of the analog sticks (a little more stiff than the Dual Shock and a lot more than the cordless Logitech controller), I thought that they were a little small and too close together. I like to use the ball of my thumb instead of the tip for analog control and doing so causes my thumbs to constantly wrestle with eachother for space. If you use the tips of your thumbs though, this shouldn't be a problem. I consider myself to have normal sized hands (no problems with the old NES bone controller) but I wanted a little more analog stick to hold on to. Just like someone else in this thread mentioned, I also found that you had to press pretty hard to get the analog sticks to click. And for some reason the left one was harder to click than the right.

Overall, I'm pretty happy, especially considering the value. I plan to pick up another one so my daughter can use if for Katamari. If I had to rate it, I would give it a 7/10 due to the d-pad and analog sticks but for the value its a 9/10 considering you don't use the D-pad much.[/quote]

great input. I use the retrocon myself too when I play the PS2. it takes up a lot less space than a regular ps2 controller.

I have the controller, and I have problems using it for sports games or MGS3, but it is my favorite for RPGs. I busted out FF Chronicles so I could play Chrono Trigger with it and I was throroughly pleased.

[quote name='zman73']I think I got the last 2 here in Mobile... cant wait to try them :)[/quote]

(shakes fist)
:x

Heh, oh well I allready used up my BB giftcard anyway...
By the way, I picked up one of those DC controllers from the Flea Market. Works great!

ordered 3 online for in-store pick-up as i posted before....when i got there, i browsed the shelves real quick and found a crap load of 'em...but mostly silver w/ silver....so i took a silver w/ blue, silver w/ grey and black w/ silver one to the customer service desk...swapped the ones I had already bought so i wouldn't have replicas and bought the last one....then picked up shield s3 and king of queens s3....good day today :wink:

As of 11:30 a.m., 15-20 left at the pasadena, ca store.

In case anyone else spent twenty minutes trying to figure out how to switch between analog and digital on the controller, the instructions are on the back.

It also seems to work with the Super Duelbox.

Awesome! I picked up one when they were $10 for at one of the post-holiday sales. I'm definately going to stop by tonight and pick up one more of each color and also one more NES-style (the one I originally bought) to keep MIB for collectability's sake.

[quote name='smellhasreturned']wtf i was just at Best Buy this weekend and didnt even look :(.[/quote]

Don't feel bad I was out last night near BB and didn't stop by.

sanjuro, thank you. I have been desperatly seeking a new ps2 pad, and this one is perfect for the price. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

[quote name='smellhasreturned'][quote name='minos1067']does the GGC Coupon work on these?[/quote]

dont u wish :)

but to answer your question no they dont work[/quote]

that would've been sweet! i need to get a component cable for my xbox anyway, so might as well pick one up.

ps. they slashed the $'s pretty steep really quick on these. i remember them just coming out not too long ago.

[quote name='smellhasreturned']wtf i was just at Best Buy this weekend and didnt even look :(.[/quote]

They're clearly marked as $14.99 at my BB, so unless the word got out from an outside source, most people will probably pass these controllers by without a second thought. More for the rest of us, I guess. :D

just got one black one, i cant see getting more than one, i guess. there were probably about a dozen or more at my bestbuy. all the racks but one were marked full price, and the one was marked 4.99, so it would be easy to pass by.

Still tons left at my BB too I don't see any reason for anyone to worry about these being out of stock. Just don't wait forever, if you want one or more get out and get them whenever you next get by a BB. Or order them online and pick them up in store, that's what I did and they'll hold it for up to 8 days.

I picked up the final one, the packaging was beat up, but it was only 5 bucks and a sleek looking black one. :D

Thanks OP. Picked up the Retrocon and Wario Ware: Touched just now.

bread's done
Back