Rightstuf's 12+ Days of Christmas sale [DEAD]

toldawg128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
69 (100%)
Taken from an e-mail:

As the holiday season kicks into full swing, Right Stuf is here to make things even merrier – with 12+ days of savings on DVDs, box sets and bundles!

Each day, we’ll send you the latest addition to our list of holiday bargains, and everything on this list will be on sale until midnight, December 24th. (No coupon codes are necessary.)

Have a safe and happy Holiday Season and enjoy some anime from RightStuf.com!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to the homepage and click the "12+ Days of Christmas" banner each day to see new additions to the sale. Sale ends midnight December 24th.

Day 1 (12/04): Inu Yasha Season 2 DVD Box Set Deluxe Edition: $49.99
Day 2 (12/05): Vision of Escaflowne DVD Complete Collection: $22.49
Day 3 (12/06): Desert Punk, 1-6 DVD Bundle: $74.99
Day 4 (12/07): Genshiken DVD Premium Collection: $29.99
Day 5 (12/08): Case Closed Season 1 DVD Bundle: $47.99
Day 6 (12/09): Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars DVD Bundle: $59.99
Day 7 (12/10): Flame of Recca DVD Bundle: $54.99
Day 8 (12/11): Outlaw Star Complete Collection DVD: $22.49
Day 9 (12/12): Full Metal Panic? FUMOFFU DVD Complete Collection: $24.99
Day 10 (12/13): Giant Robo DVD/CD Combo Bundle: $12.99
Day 11 (12/14): Excel Saga DVD Complete Collection: $29.99
Day 12 (12/15): Samurai Champloo DVD Box Set: $79.99

[quote name='WTK']A Bundle of Anime Joy from Right Stuf

- Saiyuki Reload DVD Box Set: $63.99
- Armor Trooper Votoms DVD Collection: $59.98
- X TV Series Remix DVD Set: $49.99
- A Little Snow Fairy Sugar DVD Box Set: $39.99
- Chobits Mini Box 1 + 2 Bundle: $39.99
- Paranoia Agent DVD Box Set: $39.99
- Trigun DVD Set 2 Limited Collector's Edition: $35.99
- Piano: The Complete Collection DVD: $29.99
- Elfen Lied DVD Collection: $24.99
- Shadow Star Narutaru DVD Collection: $24.99
- Kamichu! DVD 1 Little Diety Limited Edition + Artbox: $14.99
- Fantastic Children DVD 1 Special Edition w/CD: $12.99
- Fafner DVD 1: Arcadian Project + Artbox: $9.99
- Gad Guard DVD 1: Lightning + Artbox: $9.99
- Stellvia DVD 1: Foundation I + Limited Edition Artbox: $9.99
- DearS DVD 1: 1st Contact + Artbox: $9.99
- Koi Kaze DVD 1 + Artbox: $9.99
- Patlabor Movie 3: WXIII DVD Special Edition: $14.99
- Sakura Taisen: Ecole de Paris DVD: $9.99
- Tactics DVD 1: $9.99
- Noein DVD 1: $7.99[/quote]
Special thanks to WTK

[quote name='ihavenolife123']here's hoping for a good deal on
ROD TV (doubt it since its already $80)
Kinos journey
Samurai 7
GITS
and more as i desire more[/QUOTE]

ROD as you said is already bundled at $80, so thats not a possibility
Kino's Journey is in a thin-pak, so thats pretty much ruled out

[quote name='Rihan'] Kino's Journey is in a thin-pak, so thats pretty much ruled out[/QUOTE]

Well Escaflowne is a budget brick so it's possible but highly unlikely.

[quote name='endlessPRO']how good is this anime : Escaflowne?[/QUOTE]
Sure, don't read the rest of the thread. Let's just jump right to the stupid question!

Know what? You should buy Desert Punk instead. It's really, really good!

... Har har.

[quote name='Ndolger']*hopes for YYH: Chapter Black or Saga of the Three Kings for $35*

*hopes again*[/quote]

One of the best animes/action animes out there. Love just about every episode of the series. Even the episodes that were slow and down trodden. Such an awesome show. I wish it could have lasted longer instead of Naruto. I bought this entire series as singles. Wish I would have waited for the box sets, but the show was just that good plus I was getting some crazy deals on them at the time through friends.

[quote name='LXL_Guy']That's the 3rd day...somewhat disappointing to say the least.[/quote]

Truthfully, I'm pretty disappointed so far with this year's sale. Last year there was .hack and Witch Hunter Robin, but the crazy packs that looked awesome. I wish they would have put Escaflowne the Perfect collection rather than the brick. I find that kind of meh, and the thing with Inuyasha is that there are too many episodes to start collecting.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Truthfully, I'm pretty disappointed so far with this year's sale. Last year there was .hack and Witch Hunter Robin, but the crazy packs that looked awesome. I wish they would have put Escaflowne the Perfect collection rather than the brick. I find that kind of meh, and the thing with Inuyasha is that there are too many episodes to start collecting.[/QUOTE]

They couldn't do that with Escaflowne as the Perfect collection has LONG been OOP.

[quote name='Rihan']They couldn't do that with Escaflowne as the Perfect collection has LONG been OOP.[/quote]

I know I know, but I know that they have managed to request product that was either OOS/OOP before from the publisher. Still, at least they could have thrown in the movie with the brick pack.

[quote name='LXL_Guy']Come on day 4. Show me something irresistable. Come on now.[/quote]
Ever since I first partook in this sale where they had the amazing Perfect Collection of Neon Genesis evangelion for $40 and Gasaraki, which I stupidly passed on, the sale has seemed to become lesser and lesser. It's probably beacuse that was just such a blowout item. last time they redeemed themselves toward the end in my mind's eye by putting out .hack and witch hunter robin complete collections, but so far there just isn't that one real oomph item that I really really want.

I hope for some Gankutsuou volume bundle preferably 2-the end since I have 1 already, but wouldn't care to buy it and then flip it.

Buy the way, is Genshiken worth anything? From the description alone it seems like a very meh anime.

Yay but sadly I'll nay on the Genshiken collection. I didn't have much interest in it even after reading the manga before seeing the counter part. Good price but it was medicore at best IMO.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']

Buy the way, is Genshiken worth anything? From the description alone it seems like a very meh anime.[/quote]

It only had 3 volumes and there's going to be an Economy set coming out in February for $29.96 so it doesn't look like a huge deal.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']
Buy the way, is Genshiken worth anything? From the description alone it seems like a very meh anime.[/QUOTE]

Genshiken is an anime for anime fans. If you're already neck-deep in DVDs, have waited in line for hours at a con, look for panties on figures, etc. You'll get a kick out of it.

If you're new or a causal viewer, it'll be kinda boring.

Good price on that, tho'. But I already have it.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Genshiken is an anime for anime fans. If you're already neck-deep in DVDs, have waited in line for hours at a con, look for panties on figures, etc. You'll get a kick out of it.

If you're new or a causal viewer, it'll be kinda boring.

Good price on that, tho'. But I already have it.[/quote]

I'm big on anime, but just from the description and the reviews I just read it doesn't sound like a must buy or a must watch. It also sounds sort of bland.

[quote name='toldawg128']It only had 3 volumes and there's going to be an Economy set coming out in February for $29.96 so it doesn't look like a huge deal.[/quote] Aren't economy sets not as good?

[quote name='kipz']Aren't economy sets not as good?[/quote]

Yeah, I'd rather have the regular set, but it looks like it'll have the same extras as the economy set, and the starting price is less than this Premium Collection on sale. So this doesn't really stand out.

Genshiken is a pretty solid show if you're deeply entrenched in anime nerdiness. It's sort of like Excel Saga or Otaku no Video in the sense that the more anime you see, the more you'll enjoy it. As for this or the economy set, they're the same price at the moment on Right Stuf, but it'll probably run for $33-$35 on B&M stores and will take at least a year to go on clearance. I say jump on this because the art box is relatively good looking.

Edit: Economy box is the same price as the premium collection (and that's only because Right Stuf knocks a few bucks off of all pre-orders).

You can get the economy collection for $18 from some other sites. But it doesnt come out for a few months and will probably be a brick or something less stylish than the 3 volumes + box. I already own this series (and love it), so ill have to pass on this one too.

[quote name='Bezerker']You can get the economy collection for $18 from some other sites. But it doesnt come out for a few months and will probably be a brick or something less stylish than the 3 volumes + box. I already own this series (and love it), so ill have to pass on this one too.[/QUOTE]
If it's anything like the Midori Days economy set, it'll be the size of a single DVD case that opens to hold three discs. If you're looking to save on shelf space, that'd be the way to go. But if you want fancy packaging, I'd go with the box set.

About Genshiken, it's a decent show with a fair amount of laughs, but I thought that it tended to drag a bit too much later on without throwing anything all that funny at me. I'm not sure I could justify spending $30 on it... perhaps $20.

Genshiken is awesome. I'm jumping on that right now, and Berserk > everything. The manga is better but I'm still hoping they make another season of the anime.

Pretty much passing on anything > $30; especially for a 13 episode series. Not worth it.

So, let's see -> Viz, Bandai, Funimation(I think), and now Media Blasters.

I predict an ADV set next....but, what could it be? Hmm...

*still waiting on something to complement Escaflowne*

*daddy wants a FREE SHIP ALL*

How about $20 for all the FLCL DVDs?

one can dream.

I can't believe they're almost $30 a piece.

[quote name='Apossum']How about $20 for all the FLCL DVDs?

one can dream. [/quote]Considering it's only a six-episode series, it SHOULD be about $20. Of course, I'm one of the only people in the world who sees this as one of the most over-rated animes to date.

[quote name='guinaevere']Considering it's only a six-episode series, it SHOULD be about $20. Of course, I'm one of the only people in the world who sees this as one of the most over-rated animes to date.[/QUOTE]
*Rings*
I hear something, like a bell.
Must be something about angels, porcupine dilemmas, and biblical refrences.

[quote name='guinaevere']Considering it's only a six-episode series, it SHOULD be about $20. Of course, I'm one of the only people in the world who sees this as one of the most over-rated animes to date.[/QUOTE]

You're nuts, but I forgive you. :)

I may pick up Escaflowne...

to the Berserk fans: there's a boxset (the Box of War) sitting at a local store with a $75 tag on it... if any of you get desperate, I can try to help.

COMPLETELY AGREE.

The animation is fantastic, but I find the music abrasive in the context of the show. It does nothing but distract from what's going on! ... Not that what's going on is particularly interesting.

[quote name='Apossum']You're nuts, but I forgive you. :)[/quote]=) I apprediate that. I'm used to having boxes of Pocky flung at me for making such an outrageous claim.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']COMPLETELY AGREE.

The animation is fantastic, but I find the music abrasive in the context of the show. It does nothing but distract from what's going on! ... Not that what's going on is particularly interesting.[/quote]Wow! You are the first person online or IRL to agree with my being unimpressed by FLCL. As you say the animation is very nice, but that alone doesn't sell a show. Most people get caught up in the references (and according to some new law, if a show makes a lot of references to obscure, semi-obscure or popular stuff, it must be good itself), and innuendo.

I see a boy from a disfunctional family who loves his big brother and could use his influence, but sadly he isn't there. The boy is growing up and coming to terms with his sexuality and has no mature figure to help him deal with what others want from him.

That alone could be great, but they didn't leave it alone. It was an exercise in how much more can we throw in there, how far can we push this envelope?

[quote name='fifthcore']Case Closed Season 1 DVD Bundle (Hyb) $47.99

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/JUIRq1ngA7gJ8TM0W9/browse/item/72703/4/0/0[/quote]
Does anyone know the breakdown of episodes in this set?

[quote name='toldawg128']Anyone have any thoughts on this show?[/quote]I thoroughly enjoy it, but I've always liked mysteries. And some of these are pretty good who and how-dunnits. The characters are likeable, too. Also a few good chuckles here and there over character interactions or use of Conans gadgets.

[quote name='guinaevere']
Does anyone know the breakdown of episodes in this set?
[/quote]
It looks like all four dvd's from Case 1, which contains the first 27 episodes. If you search the dvd's separately on rightstuf.com, the episodes are listed.

[quote name='toldawg128']Thanks for the update fifthcore, I added it to the OP.

Anyone have any thoughts on this show?[/quote]

It's a great show, but I just don't know if at $50 I can bite and I really really want to.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']It's a great show, but I just don't know if at $50 I can bite and I really really want to.[/quote]Yeah, toldawg says it's only 27 eps?

Funimation is getting a little better with these dvds, but still missing the mark. Especially with some of these longer running series (how many hundreds of episodes does Detective Conan have?) to only put a handful of episodes on DVDs which cost around $18 a pop... that's completely unrealistic from an average consumer's standpoint.

I know it costs money to aquire these licenses and localize and produce. But if you want this genre to become more than niche, you're going to have to make the titles more affordable.

[quote name='guinaevere']Yeah, toldawg says it's only 27 eps?

Funimation is getting a little better with these dvds, but still missing the mark. Especially with some of these longer running series (how many hundreds of episodes does Detective Conan have?) to only put a handful of episodes on DVDs which cost around $18 a pop... that's completely unrealistic from an average consumer's standpoint.

I know it costs money to aquire these licenses and localize and produce. But if you want this genre to become more than niche, you're going to have to make the titles more affordable.[/quote]

That's exactly why I have always held off on buying DBZ and the other series and stuff like Inuyasha or Naruto. Way too many episodes. I'd rather just catch them on tv when i can or the ahem other route;).

Bleh, another miss in my book. The DNangel thinpak is back in stock @ buy.com for $31.49 so i picked that up instead.

For the people complaining about FLCL. In japan it was released on 6 discs (1 "OVA" per disc). Consider yourself lucky you only had to buy 3 (then again, im not sure how much R2 anime retails for over there since they dont charge for licensing, translating and subtitling; the 6 discs might be cheaper than our 3).

[quote name='Bezerker']Bleh, another miss in my book. The DNangel thinpak is back in stock @ buy.com for $31.49 so i picked that up instead.

For the people complaining about FLCL. In japan it was released on 6 discs (1 "OVA" per disc). Consider yourself lucky you only had to buy 3 (then again, im not sure how much R2 anime retails for over there since they dont charge for licensing, translating and subtitling; the 6 discs might be cheaper than our 3).[/QUOTE]

Typically region 2 discs retail in the 50 range even for one episode. I think that was how much Macross Zero was going for. Heck the entire 49 disc set of Legend of Galactic Heroes was going in the 2000-3000 range.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']That's exactly why I have always held off on buying DBZ and the other series and stuff like Inuyasha or Naruto. Way too many episodes. I'd rather just catch them on tv when i can or the ahem other route;).[/QUOTE]

I agree, but luckily longer sets are starting to drop in price if you wait long enough. My wife grabbed me the Rurouni Kenshin complete series for my b-day over the summer, and I think the total came to around $150 - but that series is massive. Ten years ago, anime dropping to those prices was unheard of, so things ARE improving. ;)

There is million versions of Cased Closed out there though, anyone know if this one is missing anything important? Like if it edited etc.

[quote name='Drahken']Typically region 2 discs retail in the 50 range even for one episode. I think that was how much Macross Zero was going for. Heck the entire 49 disc set of Legend of Galactic Heroes was going in the 2000-3000 range.[/quote]

Hmm, i cant find any sites that say the actual retail prices in japan (as in if you went to japan to buy it); so i cant comment. I kinda figured that it would be like manga & magazines and be a whole lot cheaper (raw manga retails for $4-5 compared to the $9.95+ English counterparts).

Oh, come now. FLCL is good stuff, but I'll definately agree not $20 a disc good. Heh, $50 for S1 of Conan? There's what, like 27 seasons? What's the point.

=) I apprediate that. I'm used to having boxes of Pocky flung at me for making such an outrageous claim.

nah, it's understandable. I can see how someone would find it abrasive, like Kirin Lemon said. It's pretty loud and raucous.

that's what I like about it though. the more I watch it, the more I realize how well they captured what it's like to be a teenager (crazy, confusing, just needing to swing the bat etc. etc.)

[quote name='Bezerker']Hmm, i cant find any sites that say the actual retail prices in japan (as in if you went to japan to buy it); so i cant comment. I kinda figured that it would be like manga & magazines and be a whole lot cheaper (raw manga retails for $4-5 compared to the $9.95+ English counterparts).[/QUOTE]

www.cdjapan.co.jp
www.amazon.co.jp

Man... nothing but misses so far. Oh, and even though it's not on sale, buy Texhnolyze. Most of the DVDs are still clearanced for like $6. It's good.

[quote name='Bezerker']In japan it was released on 6 discs (1 "OVA" per disc). Consider yourself lucky you only had to buy 3 [/quote]Well the truth of the matter is, we don't have to buy anything. The fact that we're weak and WANT tons of crap is what gets expensive.

[quote name='Bezerker']

For the people complaining about FLCL. In japan it was released on 6 discs (1 "OVA" per disc). Consider yourself lucky you only had to buy 3 (then again, im not sure how much R2 anime retails for over there since they dont charge for licensing, translating and subtitling; the 6 discs might be cheaper than our 3).[/QUOTE]

I won't consider myself lucky, I'll consider Japan less lucky ;) I thought I read somewhere that anime is really expensive over there and almost always has less episodes per disc.

bread's done
Back