Rock Band - Discussion moved to Rock Band 2 thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='shieryda']You like Opeth, but you won't dl All that Remains? What's wrong with you, man?!;)[/quote]

Wow, there's so much fucking wrong with that statement. All that Remains is a completely derivative, boring, generic metalcore band that appeals to the kids who graduated from nu-metal but still don't have the balls for real metal.

And I need some fucking MS Points, dammit!! I needz teh Whoz packz!

ALL THAT fuckIN REMAINS!!!!
Although I would've liked to see The Deepest Gray, This Calling is awesome, and I'm looking forward to the new stuff as well, good shit....
-Goatman

[quote name='evanft']Wow, there's so much fucking wrong with that statement. All that Remains is a completely derivative, boring, generic metalcore band that appeals to the kids who graduated from nu-metal but still don't have the balls for real metal.

And I need some fucking MS Points, dammit!! I needz teh Whoz packz![/QUOTE]

Actually All That Remains has been doing it since before nu-metal dug itself an early grave, and they started out playing thrash metal and just adopted a more melodic style, but they still make good music...
I hate when people call things derivative but then don't want to hear criticism to what they like...
I love metal, but seriously what metal do you listen to that isn't completely "derivative"?
Unless it's only acid jazz psycho prog grind, or An Albatross...
As much as I love metal it is very "derivative", that's why shitty cop out terms like that don't fly when it comes to music, because music isn't only about what you hear, it's about what you feel, so just because you can't get something doesn't mean someone else can't, whether it's pop fluff or death metal, someone out there gets what it's about, and it isn't up to you to determine that they shouldn't...
-Goatman

I gave All That Remains a listen, and I'll admit they have some good guitar work. They kinda reminded me of Avenged Sevenfold. But the singing, if you can call it that... Good God! Ok, maybe that's a bit harsh, but at the very least, the singing isn't appealing to me at all, so I'm gonna pass on the DLC this week.

[quote name='goatindaruffness']Actually All That Remains has been doing it since before nu-metal dug itself an early grave, and they started out playing thrash metal and just adopted a more melodic style, but they still make good music...
I hate when people call things derivative but then don't want to hear criticism to what they like...
I love metal, but seriously what metal do you listen to that isn't completely "derivative"?
Unless it's only acid jazz psycho prog grind, or An Albatross...
As much as I love metal it is very "derivative", that's why shitty cop out terms like that don't fly when it comes to music, because music isn't only about what you hear, it's about what you feel, so just because you can't get something doesn't mean someone else can't, whether it's pop fluff or death metal, someone out there gets what it's about, and it isn't up to you to determine that they shouldn't...
-Goatman[/quote]

Few things:

1. The formatting of your post is fucking awful and unneccessary.

2. Don't double post, use the edit button.

3. [quote name='goatindaruffness']Actually All That Remains has been doing it since before nu-metal dug itself an early grave, and they started out playing thrash metal and just adopted a more melodic style, but they still make good music...[/quote]

So essentially, they weren't getting any attention, so switched over to the flavor-of-the-minute style. Good job.

Their song on GHII was good, but over all I really don't care for the genre. So unless I happen to hear the songs and they strike a chord; I don't think I'll be purchasing them

[quote name='evanft']Few things:

So essentially, they weren't getting any attention, so switched over to the flavor-of-the-minute style. Good job.[/quote]

Quit being a douche bag.

[quote name='modium']Phew, finally got gold stars on Reaper.[/quote]

...on what? Drums or guitar?

If on drums then you are a beast.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']

If on drums then you are a beast.[/quote]
Seconded on the drums part. That guitar solo/drum roll is just brutal...

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']...on what? Drums or guitar?

If on drums then you are a beast.[/quote]Yep, drums. ;) The fun part is that it's actually just above the pre-patch cutoff, so I'd have gotten gold if I'd done this last week too. It's not too hard to do anyway, most of the stuff around it in the setlist has lots of weird patterns and fills to break your combo, but Reaper's tough parts are clumped together in a small section. Didn't seem so easy when I couldn't pass it on expert months ago. :lol:

[quote name='evanft']Wow, there's so much fucking wrong with that statement. All that Remains is a completely derivative, boring, generic metalcore band that appeals to the kids who graduated from nu-metal but still don't have the balls for real metal.

[/quote]

I like them, and that's all that matters. I know they don't sound anything like Opeth. It's silly to me how people get all uppity about this genre, or music in general.

[quote name='shieryda']I like them, and that's all that matters. I know they don't sound anything like Opeth. It's silly to me how people get all uppity about this genre, or music in general.[/quote]

Oh no, you had it right with "this genre".

People are really protective of their metal for some reason.

With the new album on the way to GH3 this Friday, I guess we can count "Metallica will release their new single first exclusively with Rock Band" to the list of non-delivered promises from Harmonix.

Not that I give a shit, that album sounds mediocre at best.

[quote name='KaneRobot']With the new album on the way to GH3 this Friday, I guess we can count "Metallica will release their new single first exclusively with Rock Band" to the list of non-delivered promises from Harmonix.

Not that I give a shit, that album sounds mediocre at best.[/quote]

I'm done with that band. "St. Anger" had 2, maybe 3 decent tracks on it.

[quote name='KaneRobot']With the new album on the way to GH3 this Friday, I guess we can count "Metallica will release their new single first exclusively with Rock Band" to the list of non-delivered promises from Harmonix.

Not that I give a shit, that album sounds mediocre at best.[/quote]

what other non-delivered promises have there been? they have been pretty good in my opinion.

[quote name='DestroVega']what other non-delivered promises have there been? they have been pretty good in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Nevermind (which was definitely used to push the game's DLC capabilities around launch time, regardless of how they are backpedalling on it now) and Who's Next, mainly.

Rereading my earlier post it was more harsh than I meant it to be, Harmonix HAS been pretty good. They sort of made good on Who's Next. I just don't get why they hyped up these things they didn't have locked in. Not smart.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Nevermind (which was definitely used to push the game's DLC capabilities around launch time, regardless of how they are backpedalling on it now) and Who's Next, mainly.

Rereading my earlier post it was more harsh than I meant it to be, Harmonix HAS been pretty good. They sort of made good on Who's Next. I just don't get why they hyped up these things they didn't have locked in. Not smart.[/quote]

Everyone keeps mentioning Nevermind but they never said it was definitely going to be released... they said they could bring albums to the table LIKE Nevermind...

and yeah, they did a Who's Greatest Hits instead, I think maybe the charts worked better that way... and that's not a huge snub.

I think just the fact there is something to DL every week has been a pretty major accomplishment.

[quote name='DestroVega']what other non-delivered promises have there been? they have been pretty good in my opinion.[/quote]

A lot of us are still fuming about "Moving Pictures".:bomb:

[quote name='shieryda']A lot of us are still fuming about "Moving Pictures".:bomb:[/quote]

yeah but even with that, there was a problem and it's just gonna take a bit longer... things happen.

[quote name='shieryda']I'm done with that band. "St. Anger" had 2, maybe 3 decent tracks on it.[/QUOTE]

I've been listening to Death Magnetic for almost a week now (and I absolutely hated St Anger, only was able to make it through once).

Death Magnetic is definitely better. There is one song that I (and many others) are calling their best song since Blackened - The Judas Kiss.

Pros-
Heavy and almost as fast as they have ever been.
Kirk, Kirk, Kirk. Unlike the last album, Kirk really shines. Has some of his best solo work ever here.

Cons-
Many of the song's structures are just odd or boring.
The production/mix sounds often like crap. Not enough bass drum and still too loud of a snare on many songs.
Lyrics sound like forced angry metal lyrics, instead of the more interesting personal lyrics of the past.

[quote name='DestroVega']yeah but even with that, there was a problem and it's just gonna take a bit longer... things happen.[/quote]

Yeah, it'll happen when RB2 comes out next week.

[quote name='evanft']Few things:

So essentially, they weren't getting any attention, so switched over to the flavor-of-the-minute style. Good job.[/QUOTE]

1. Sorry that I don't post things PROFESSIONALLY, maybe because since this is just a message board I didn't think I needed to proofread my material, I'm not publishing it for acceptance into Harvard or something, it's a fuckin' message board...

2. I'll post however I want to, it was two completely different thoughts, hence the double post...

3. No, they realized their singer could do more than just montonously scream into the microphone and thought they could get more out of their sound, on each album they experimented with it more and more until they got where they are now. They come from New England where a lot of bands were using a more melodic style in their music, and they kind of all influenced each other in their work (Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, etc.)
Granted I like all of these bands earlier work a little more, but I'm fond of what they've become, mostly because, it's where they want to be, and I respect musicians who do what they want despite what shittalkers who sit behind computers have to say about them...

Oh and one more thing, sorry that EVERYONE in the world doesn't think EXACTLY like you, I'm sure it's a rude awakening, maybe one day you'll find a lovely person who's shoulder you can cry on when you need the emotional support...
-Goatman

[quote name='DestroVega']Everyone keeps mentioning Nevermind but they never said it was definitely going to be released... they said they could bring albums to the table LIKE Nevermind[/QUOTE]

You were missing the point I made - even if they never said "Nevermind is coming Winter 2007" (or whatever), they were using it to hype the game's DLC capabilities. Furthermore, the leaked list of songs contained in some of the previous DLC files shows that they absolutely WERE planning on releasing it at some point.

Frankly, I don't believe that they "never said it was coming officially" anyway. Since I'm not interested in the subject enough to track down every interview prior to the game's release I guess Harmonix "wins" the argument.

Still bullshit though. Don't name names unless it is a sure thing. It only brings backlash and disappointment if it doesn't happen.

I admit that the whole 'Nevermind' thing is a little bait-and-switch, if it's true.

At least we got an explanation for Who's Next, though. Wasn't it something like they acquired the rights and then the people with the masters discovered they only had one side?

So, I'm rocking out on drums on Rock Band. I'm at the Medium level, transferring to Hard. (More on the hard side now.) But, I'm playing a song, and it's pissing me off because of all the weird foot pedal positions. (Can't remember what song.) But, I do what I normally do. I throw the drums sticks at the pads, they bounce and fly 20ft behind me, and I go and sulk. 10 minutes later, I try again. And this time, I get the beat, and pass the song. And after I pass it, I get so excited, that I hit the blue and yellow pads REALLY hard. Only, I don't let go of the drumsticks, I hold them. Well, low and behold, the one in my right hand snaps in two. So, I'm now playing rockband with a SUPER taped up drum stick. It works though. :D

[quote name='Access_Denied']So, I'm rocking out on drums on Rock Band. I'm at the Medium level, transferring to Hard. (More on the hard side now.) But, I'm playing a song, and it's pissing me off because of all the weird foot pedal positions. (Can't remember what song.) But, I do what I normally do. I throw the drums sticks at the pads, they bounce and fly 20ft behind me, and I go and sulk. 10 minutes later, I try again. And this time, I get the beat, and pass the song. And after I pass it, I get so excited, that I hit the blue and yellow pads REALLY hard. Only, I don't let go of the drumsticks, I hold them. Well, low and behold, the one in my right hand snaps in two. So, I'm now playing rockband with a SUPER taped up drum stick. It works though. :D[/quote]

grab your moms wooden spoon in the kitchen and go nuts

[quote name='goatindaruffness']1. Sorry that I don't post things PROFESSIONALLY, maybe because since this is just a message board I didn't think I needed to proofread my material, I'm not publishing it for acceptance into Harvard or something, it's a fuckin' message board...[/quote]

There's no need to make your posts unreadable.

[quote name='goatindaruffness']2. I'll post however I want to, it was two completely different thoughts, hence the double post...[/quote]

That doesn't make it any less stupid.

[quote name='goatindaruffness']3. No, they realized their singer could do more than just montonously scream into the microphone and thought they could get more out of their sound, on each album they experimented with it more and more until they got where they are now. [/quote]

You mean they followed the exact same path deep into the "At the Gates verse, Foo Fighters chorus" shit-hole that every metalcore and melodeath band began to follow 5 years ago? Yeah, they sure fucking did.

[quote name='goatindaruffness']They come from New England where a lot of bands were using a more melodic style in their music, and they kind of all influenced each other in their work (Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, etc.) [/quote]

And all those bands ripped off the European melodic death metal scene that was already dead when they decided to incorporate Iron Maiden-inspired leads and chug-chug-chug riffing, creating something that was cool for about 15 minutes, as it was about the most limited fucking style on the planet and taking it anywhere just lead to you playing technical death metal with shitty vocals or crazy-ass hardcore.

[quote name='goatindaruffness']Granted I like all of these bands earlier work a little more, but I'm fond of what they've become, mostly because, it's where they want to be, and I respect musicians who do what they want despite what shittalkers who sit behind computers have to say about them...[/quote]

Metalcore and melodeath bands began to incorporate more mainstream-friendly motifs into their sound, thus resulting in a weak, balless version of the music they're trying to imitate, but also resulting in exposure on music channels, in movie soundtracks, and increased sales. Every other band playing a similar style follows suit.

This all happened 5 or 6 years ago. I distinctly remember mocking my friends in high school for liking that bullshit when so much real metal was around. The fact that All That Remains is following in the trend, especially so much later, does not mean they have any form of artistic credibility because they're "just doing what they want" or whatever. Quite the opposite. It makes them trend-following posers.

[quote name='007']I admit that the whole 'Nevermind' thing is a little bait-and-switch, if it's true.

At least we got an explanation for Who's Next, though. Wasn't it something like they acquired the rights and then the people with the masters discovered they only had one side?[/quote]

Yeah, The Who stuff was because of lost master recordings. Nothing they could do about that.

Nevermind though, even though I don't give a shit, was said to be album DLC. I know I recall seeing this, and so do tons of other people.

They wouldn't have said "We're going to have full album DLC, you know, so we could like have say...NeverMind available"

Honestly, in this case the only reason they would use an example like this if was an example of an album they were going to use. Who knows though, maybe they thing the gaming community is retarded and they needed to illustrate the point with a 'for instance" :roll:.

On another note, I picked up one of the All that Remains songs and I am glad it was only the one (Two Weeks). I have never played a song that was so difficult, and at the same time so incredibly unfun, on drums anyways. Maybe the guitar will make up for it...

[quote name='sj41']Well, fuck YOU.

I like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs...;)

I'm going to try and trade my copy in, even though I do love Rock Band. I can't say no to $32 when I'm getting the songs back this month (?). I can rent the game with my pass anyways if I really get that itch. I sold off Guitar Hero 2 & 3 for $22 a piece a month ago also.

The only problem is that my disc has a light ring around it. It's been working fine, but we'll have to see if they accept it. I'll try a couple different stores if the first one doesn't work.[/QUOTE]

Same Here. Maps & Date With The Night are two of my fav tracks to play. Yeah they can get super repetitive, but they make great music.

I could honestly care less about Enter Sandman & Run To The Hills. The dude I play with (who plays on drums btw) can barely pass ES without failing maybe once a blue moon, but he can't play RTTH to save his life. Paranoid isn't that bad, but I can live without it.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']This was my experience playing (and hearing) Maps for the first time:

Eh, this is okay.

...okay?

fuck YOU MAPS.
[/QUOTE]

:lol: I love to play Maps when I need to just chill out. I can jive with the whole slow sad rhythm they got going on.

I just recently got Rock Band and was trying out the guitar. The strum bar just doesn't feel right. It doesn't spring back like the Guitar
Hero controller. Is it suppose to be like that? If so, it really sucks.

Yes, it's spongy. It can be tapped pretty fast since it gives little resistance but I find it makes alt-strumming pretty inaccurate. Hopefully the guitar for 2 will improve it.

Ok, I've created a list of DLC to get when I aquire some MS points:

*All That Remains Track Pack
Avenged Sevenfold-Afterlife
Avenged Sevenfold-Critical Acclaim
*DevilDriver-Clouds over California
Muse-Hysteria
Nine Inch Nails-Last
Nine Inch Nails-The Perfect Drug
Oasis-Rock N' Roll Star
Radiohead-My Iron Lung
Rush-Moving Pictures album
*Sixx A.M.-Life is Beautiful
Smashing Pumpkins-Siva
Stone Temple Pilots-Insterstate Love Song
System of a Down-Toxicity
Testament-Electric Crown
The Clash-Complete Control
The Clash-I Fought the Law
The Who Track Pack

(the * indicated 80 point songs)

Any deals on MS point?

Some surprise free DLC this morning:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/09/11/stephen-colbert-brings-freedom-charlene-to-rock-band/

Sure, Stephen Colbert's political humor is great, but we prefer his early work: The sensitive, touching and frequently unnerving pop he crafted as part of Stephen and the Colberts. The apex of their work, the semi-hit single "Charlene," is now available as a free download on Rock Band.

Right now, this standard of American synth-stalk-pop is only available as a free download on Xbox Live, but we wouldn't be surprised if it was also part of today's PSN update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6yFBwGjAm0

[quote name='evanft']Ok, I've created a list of DLC to get when I aquire some MS points:

*All That Remains Track Pack
Avenged Sevenfold-Afterlife
Avenged Sevenfold-Critical Acclaim
*DevilDriver-Clouds over California
Muse-Hysteria
Nine Inch Nails-Last
Nine Inch Nails-The Perfect Drug
Oasis-Rock N' Roll Star
Radiohead-My Iron Lung
Rush-Moving Pictures album
*Sixx A.M.-Life is Beautiful
Smashing Pumpkins-Siva
Stone Temple Pilots-Insterstate Love Song
System of a Down-Toxicity
Testament-Electric Crown
The Clash-Complete Control
The Clash-I Fought the Law
The Who Track Pack

(the * indicated 80 point songs)

Any deals on MS point?[/quote]

I figured you'd already have some of those by now (Avenged, DevilDriver).:)

So...

Anyone think they'll have a special surprise for DLC next week since it's release week? I'm thinking it'll probably just be business as usual, although I'm sure some people would be happy if the fixed Moving Pictures was finally put out there.

I'm guessing if they do something unexpected/special it'll be the week that the full 360 kit/PS3 version shows up in stores.

[quote name='KaneRobot']So...

Anyone think they'll have a special surprise for DLC next week since it's release week? I'm thinking it'll probably just be business as usual, although I'm sure some people would be happy if the fixed Moving Pictures was finally put out there.

I'm guessing if they do something unexpected/special it'll be the week that the full 360 kit/PS3 version shows up in stores.[/quote]

I'd bet money on them releasing an album for the release.

[quote name='KaneRobot']So...

I'm guessing if they do something unexpected/special it'll be the week that the full 360 kit/PS3 version shows up in stores.[/quote]

Yeah:

"Dear avid Rock Band fanatic:

Since we are releasing a brand new Rock Band game for your enjoyment this week, we will not be offering any new dlc.

SURPRISE!!!

Sincerely,

Harmonix Development Team"

:D

Well they still haven't leaked the 20 extra tracks that will be available for download with the release of RB2. Wait a sec, the idea is for all DLC to work with both games, correct? So is it possible the 20 songs could end up working on RB and RB2? :whistle2:k

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Well they still haven't leaked the 20 extra tracks that will be available for download with the release of RB2. Wait a sec, the idea is for all DLC to work with both games, correct? So is it possible the 20 songs could end up working on RB and RB2? :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Yeah but it will probably be available for RB2 owners only. These 20 songs were suppose to be in the game but they couldn't finish them in time for the release they wanted.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Yeah but it will probably be available for RB2 owners only. These 20 songs were suppose to be in the game but they couldn't finish them in time for the release they wanted.[/quote]

Hmm, well some people in the RB2 thread that have the game early say there is just a code included with the game that you enter onto a website and when the songs are released they will send you a download code. I know it is aimed at people who buy the new game, but I'm wondering if those will be available as DLC for everyone else to buy, or even if you can use a code to download the songs and play them in RB1 if you happened to get a code somehow.

Either way, the DLC announcement tomorrow should be interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back