Rock Band - Discussion moved to Rock Band 2 thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn - I essentially got overnight shipping from Amazon even though I chose the free shipping. It arrived here about 3 pm.

I actually came here to count the "the mic isn't working" posts - not that I didn't have the same problem at first :)

Haven't put much time in yet, but did get to play guitar with my brother drumming and I tried singing as well. I know some people don't like the "mushy" strum bar but I've had no problems with it yet. It's nice that it's quiet.

I put 4 hours in tonight, 3 of which just on drums. Then after a few tries, I could play guitar and sing at the same time to Little Sister. Guitar Hero who?

this game looks rad, really want to play the drums, i heard there was a drum hero coming out, anyone heard about this, the game does look cool though, but with my work schedule don't have many opportunities to get enough people together to actually form a whole band.

[quote name='kaptinmorgan']t i heard there was a drum hero coming out, anyone heard about this[/QUOTE]

Other than Activision has applied for the trademark on it, no.

The game seems really fun from what I played I actually really like the mic. Though I wish it let you put your own edge on some of the songs. Also my Drum kit is already semi broke the red pad doesn't always register hits in the game. I used EA's replacement program which seemed really simple and free so thats good. I had to put in a credit card because they have an express option which they send you the broken piece first and then you mail in yours, but the CC is for insurance for them.

Anyone else having a hard time with the drums? If I was playing real drums then my hands would be criss-crossed for the high hat, but they put the high hat and the snare in opposite positions. Also, I felt like I really had to hit the drums hard in order for them to register which made it kind of unnatural for me. Maybe I'm just nitpicking. Overall, really fun. I pre-ordered mine at Game Stop and those douche bags got it in late so they couldn't open the box or something until tomorrow. Whatever. Good thing I went to Best Buy last night.

[quote name='equest943']Anyone else having a hard time with the drums? If I was playing real drums then my hands would be criss-crossed for the high hat, but they put the high hat and the snare in opposite positions. Also, I felt like I really had to hit the drums hard in order for them to register which made it kind of unnatural for me.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure yet as I haven't played it enough, but I'm inclined to agree with you. I haven't got a comfortable setup yet for the drums so I'm going to wait until then to decide.

Played it with my girlfriend tonight for a few hours. Game's an awful lot of fun. We just got the jet in world tour mode. One complaint I've got is that for a lot of the "moving up" sets we kept getting the same couple of songs again and again...so we are now experts of Say it Ain't So.

I think the price was right for this one. 3 copies of Halo 2 that I got for about $5 apiece, 2 wired Xplorer guitars I got at $20/pair, Orange Box for 360 and $20 after that awesome 10% off coupon. I think I'm going to get LOTS of play out of this puppy, too.

Friend of mine picked it up and we spent the evening playing. The drums are really hard to get used to, particularly the pedal.

My biggest complaint is that it doesn't bring forth the new songs quick enough. I played Wave of Mutilation a lot.

Got mine today. The back of the guitar has a compartment for 3 AA batteries. Now the guitar works fine w/o batteries, but any knows why it would use batteries? or is this just a leftover compartment from the PS3 wireless version of the guitar? I couldn't find anything in the manual about any batteries.

Oh, and has anyone thought about cutting out a mouse pad to put over the drum pads in hopes of giving it more durability and rebound? I'm thinking of making my own. I think 1/8th thick mouse pads would be best as to not take away much from the sensitivities of the drumpads. I believe the drum pads are about 7 inches in diameter. I hope to find the mousepads in the right colors as well. Anyone know a good place to get mousepads like this?

If you guys want new songs to play, hop into single-player. You'll get the songs really fast. Plus the DLC is available now - Metallica, The Police, and more can be yours for a few bucks.

[quote name='TrueBlueLS']Am I understanding it right as you can't use the same name for different instruments in solo?[/QUOTE]

Yes. My husband has a drummer named Adam, a guitarist named Adman... I have a singer named Jezzy and will inevitably have to name my drummer Jez and a guitarist Jezebel.

So far we are having a great time with it, our only complaint so far is that the 'leader' of the band can't change instruments, nor can you set a co-leader. So we have to have two different bands (meaning playing all the way through co-op career again) if my husband wants to switch to guitar from drums and I want to switch to bass instead of vocals. And I imagine we'll have to make a third band in case we want to do something *else*.

[quote name='Stingermck']I put 4 hours in tonight, 3 of which just on drums. Then after a few tries, I could play guitar and sing at the same time to Little Sister. Guitar Hero who?[/quote]
I'm totally doing that, but with drums/mic at first.

My Amazon order is out for delivery, woot.

has anyone else noticed that you can really hit the snare drum fast? It seems like when i do a single stroke roll it doesn't register as fast as it should. (single stroke roll being the roll where you hit the drum with your left and right hands fast)

Also, i find it incredibly ironic that i have a $4000 drum set less than 5 feet away from my setup, but plastic drums are so much cooler. My friends and family were giving me shit about that.

[quote name='TahoeMax']Played it with my girlfriend tonight for a few hours. Game's an awful lot of fun. We just got the jet in world tour mode. One complaint I've got is that for a lot of the "moving up" sets we kept getting the same couple of songs again and again...so we are now experts of Say it Ain't So.

I think the price was right for this one. 3 copies of Halo 2 that I got for about $5 apiece, 2 wired Xplorer guitars I got at $20/pair, Orange Box for 360 and $20 after that awesome 10% off coupon. I think I'm going to get LOTS of play out of this puppy, too.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree... the only complaint I have is playing the same songs over and over in World Tour.

As for drumming... I got use to playing non-criss-crossed when I saw it since I knew it wouldn't work like real life. I play the Animal (from muppet babies) way. It seems it registers better you hit it.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']I think it's lame some people are over achievers with Rock Band.
My friend wants to play drums and sing.
That's no fun! :/[/QUOTE]

Well, they might not be 5-starring the songs, or they may be playing on an easy difficulty...

Anyone else think the Fender guitar sucks? Feels cheap compared to my 360 wireless Les Paul. I also have problems with the green cord being recognized if I don't push it down hard all the way.

Still pissed that the guitar is not compatible with GH3, so I might just sell it and get another wireless Les Paul.

[quote name='masked lemon']The Fender guitar licks balls and likes it. The Les Paul is way fucking better.[/quote]

Have you tried the Rock Band guitar with GH3? I assume it must work, to think otherwise would be foolish....................................

[quote name='benjamouth']Have you tried the Rock Band guitar with GH3? I assume it must work, to think otherwise would be foolish....................................[/quote]

GH3 works with RB.

RB does NOT work with GH3.

[quote name='menikmati']GH3 works with RB.

RB does NOT work with GH3.[/quote]

Thanks dude, I was having a go at our friend the Masked Lemon who said that both guitars would work with both games "and to think otherwise is foolish".

[quote name='eastx']I agree that the GH3 guitar is better, but there are some who think otherwise.[/quote]

I'm from the other camp. I love the RB guitar. With the frets flush, you can slide from fret to fret and not just tapdance with your fingers. I also like how the strum doesn't that ever-annoying click like the Xplorer.

Do I miss out on anything in Rock Band if I get rid of my Fender guitar and its freestyle fret buttons? Do you actually get more points for using it or is it just for show?

When you use the extra set of fret buttons you don't have to strum at all for solos. That's the only difference.

I'm considering unloading the Fender, as well. Its strum is way too mushy. I mean...I'm a huge fan of the fact that it doesn't click like crazy, but it also misses a lot of notes when they're going quickly. Parts of fast songs that I can nail with my Xplorer are endlessly frustrating with the Fender because it just doesn't register 1/3 of the notes in the string. Other forums seem to be blaming the spring, which may actually be right. It's just not bouncing back fast enough to register another note so quickly.

...I'm going to go break that game if I cant change the basic set list. No more Wanted Dead or Alive or fucking Mississippi Queen. ARGH!

Now to try some simple fixes before I spear the guitar with a drum stick and hang myself from the mic

Yeah...If we wanted the true rock star lifestyle, we'd play SimRockStar. Then at least we'd get hookers and coke along with endless repetitions of the same songs.

Thinking about it, though, I'm sure real bands get totally fed up with playing their own handful of tunes, especially if they don't have a big library to dip into. The Stones, for example, have been playing for 40 years with really only 30 or 40 tracks that they play at the average show. People demand the hits, so that's what they give...every time.

Radiohead, on the other hand, is a weird one. They play a few staples, but more often they play an assortment from their whole library that changes significantly from show to show. That's nice and keeps things fresh...yet they reportedly hate touring. Go figure.

The thing that gets me though, is that its the same 2-3 songs... that arn't very hard at all. When Mustache Pants reforms later tonight, I have a couple of ideas in getting a different set list, I just dont want to fuck up anything on my own... don't have a roadie in the Apartment ot blame

[quote name='sp00ge']I'm from the other camp. I love the RB guitar. With the frets flush, you can slide from fret to fret and not just tapdance with your fingers. I also like how the strum doesn't that ever-annoying click like the Xplorer.[/QUOTE]

So far I'm agreeing with you, although I haven't gotten enough time in to get to stuff that has to be played "fast." I may change my tune then depending on how responsive it is. So far I've not had the trouble some people seem to be having with the down strum bar.

Still, I may unload it while the game is still in its infancy and wait for the wireless version.

I'm having trouble with the Down strum too... Tahoe Max described it accurately. There is definitely a design flaw in there.

I'm having the WORST time trying to assemble the Fender... the head won't click on the end of the body. Can anyone tell me any kind of advice? I've tried forcing the end and it still won't connect :whistle2:( Not that it affects gameplay, but...

[quote name='masterh']I'm having the WORST time trying to assemble the Fender... the head won't click on the end of the body. Can anyone tell me any kind of advice? I've tried forcing the end and it still won't connect :whistle2:( Not that it affects gameplay, but...[/quote]

I had trouble with that at first to. The head just goes straight in normally. You don't have to do anything special, just push it in VERY hard. You'll hear a click and the head is on there for life (its not removeable once you install the head). Its quite nerving because it does feel like youre going to break the neck trying to push the head on, but once you hear that click, all is well.

So, anyone have any impressions on the Police Pack?

I love the AAA songs they've gotten already for DLC. Keep up the great well-know songs, that's what all my friends want to play.

And by all my friends I mean the 3 people who use me for my instruments.

[quote name='lordwow']So, anyone have any impressions on the Police Pack?

I love the AAA songs they've gotten already for DLC. Keep up the great well-know songs, that's what all my friends want to play.

And by all my friends I mean the 3 people who use me for my instruments.[/quote]

At least you have "friends." Mine are always busy. :cry:

[quote name='lordwow']So, anyone have any impressions on the Police Pack?

[/QUOTE]

Synchronicity 2 is an awesome song to play, lots of fun to sing to and a funky Expert note track.

Roxanne is, well, Roxanne. Everyone knows that song.

I haven't played the other one yet, but the pack's definatly worth it.

The Metallica DLC pack is GREAT and the songs are harder than what I've seen so far in the main game.

I got the Police one too but I haven't tried it yet. The drumming should be fun on that one.

anyone want to play?

im not very good, so nobody thats gonna whoop my ass please :p

add me none of my damn friends are on, all are at work, ive only got an hour myself before i got get to get work :(

Just my luck, I had to drive down to SD today and thought I was going to leave before the UPS guy came. I get to the driveway and the UPS truck rolls in, I throw the box into my car and grab my Xbox 360 from my room and turbo it to SD. It's going to be a great weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back