Rock Band - Discussion moved to Rock Band 2 thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greaaaaat my 360 is showing all the warning signs of dying after I spend 200.00 on a game. Rock Band has froze up on me 3 times now. fuck you Microsoft and the shitty job you did on making these systems.

[quote name='seanr1221']Greaaaaat my 360 is showing all the warning signs of dying after I spend 200.00 on a game. Rock Band has froze up on me 3 times now. fuck you Microsoft and the shitty job you did on making these systems.[/quote]Sucks.

Having a complete blast with this game. Had a bunch of family and kids over playing around with it. They loved it.

Drums are freakin' hard though. Easy was a struggle at first, but I've worked up to Medium now. I'm also unable to find the right calibration settings. Whatever I try seems off compared to all the Guitar Hero games, which I never calibrated.

Brought the game to my grandfather's house yesterday for Thanksgiving and it was a huge hit with my cousins. Every single one of them have never played a musical instrument before and they said it was really fun (even though most of them played on easy and medium). Drums was the instrument that they most wanted to play but once they did and realized how hard it was, they went back to guitar and bass. Mic was the one that no one wanted to play.

So glad I picked up the bundle, looks like it might be the party game of the year.

Well after 3 days, my friend's kick pedal snapped right in half. No one was playing particularly hard or with shoes on etc. Kinda sucks that it happened so quickly.

fuckin' A....for some reason I'm having trouble getting 5 stars on And Justice For All vocals on EASY, and I've had little trouble with vocals on other songs so far on difficulties higher than that. I think it's because I'm missing some of the handclaps or something. It also seems to penalize me for doing a Hetfield impersonation rather than just "singing." Nuts to that.

[quote name='masked lemon']I can't sing well enough to get past the tutorial.

Yeah... that bad.[/QUOTE]

Well i'm glad i'm not the ONLY one.

Haha.

I dunno why, but when I play the guitar I feel like the note sizes are just way to small which makes it feel as if when a lot of notes are on screen it gets very cluttered then hard to read. Also a lot of the parts with no strum are so hard to tell the difference between the regular ones. I think they need a little thicker size in the notes. I am finding somehow the songs harder then Guitar Hero, but not because of its note chart just because of the visibility it gives off. I play mostly Hard/Expert on Guitar Hero games which is no reason half the time to have a problem in this game. Anyone else having these issues.

[quote name='seanr1221']Greaaaaat my 360 is showing all the warning signs of dying after I spend 200.00 on a game. Rock Band has froze up on me 3 times now. fuck you Microsoft and the shitty job you did on making these systems.[/QUOTE]

Is it a hard freeze (Like the whole system needs to be rebooted)? or just a stutter freeze?

For some reason, the game constantly stutter freezes when my wife is playing with just the drums and mic. Toss in the guitar and we have zero problems.

Anyone else having those problems (I scanned through the thread and didn't see anyone else with the problem. Many apologizes if I missed it)?

[quote name='Bazz']I dunno why, but when I play the guitar I feel like the note sizes are just way to small which makes it feel as if when a lot of notes are on screen it gets very cluttered then hard to read. Also a lot of the parts with no strum are so hard to tell the difference between the regular ones. I think they need a little thicker size in the notes. I am finding somehow the songs harder then Guitar Hero, but not because of its note chart just because of the visibility it gives off. I play mostly Hard/Expert on Guitar Hero games which is no reason half the time to have a problem in this game. Anyone else having these issues.[/quote]

The only issue I'm having like this is with the drums. But I think my system need calibration, as it seems I have to hit the pad almost .5 seconds before the note hits.

Started a band tonight on my future brother-in-law's set, and had a blast. Played guitar while he played drums, my girlfriend sang, and his fiance played bass. So far, we really enjoyed playing "When You Were Young" and "Gimme Shelter". It seems like the song list for Rock Band is a lot more enjoyable than Guitar Hero III, but that may just be us liking some of the newer songs more than the older. Can't wait to unlock "Welcome Home" and "Dead On Arrival".

Seems like the strum bar is really weak on the Fender. It's either way loose or just outright broken because it consistently doesn't register notes (espescially on the faster sections). I'm glad I had the Les Paul with me as well.

so when will this fall in price lol, i'd get it under $100, i just cant spend $200 for a game, even with all the accessories. at least until i get the Wii first. maybe i'll get lucky and have rockband as an xmas present

played it last night during a thanksgiving party with relatives, its a great party game since its interactive. all the kids, parents, etc gathered around.they all love karaoke so this was an upgraded version of it. although they'd prefer more variety, not just rock songs. not sure i'd play it by myself, but its fun with 4-5 other people. drumming was difficult (1 did drumming, the other did the pedal), mostly stuck to easy level for bass/guitar for myself (didnt even play GH II/III much before, so it was my first attempts. singing was difficult,just because the words scrolled by pretty fast, of course it will get better once i get more familiarity w/ the songs. as an alternative, maybe i'll pickup GH II on the cheap to improve in my guitar skills for now

by the way, i definitely prefer using GH II guitar than the rockband one while using each last night. more compact and comfortable to hold, just my opinion

[quote name='rly723']so when will this fall in price lol, i'd get it under $100, i just cant spend $200 for a game, even with all the accessories. at least until i get the Wii first. maybe i'll get lucky and have rockband as an xmas present
[/QUOTE]

A big never on that one (sub $100)... Shame on you for asking.
If you don't want to spend much, best buy the game by itself (maybe using buy.com with GCO or a coupon somewhere) and a cheap GH2 controller or something.

[quote name='eastx']A big never on that one (sub $100)... Shame on you for asking.
If you don't want to spend much, best buy the game by itself (maybe using buy.com with GCO or a coupon somewhere) and a cheap GH2 controller or something.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. This game will hit $100 around the same time the Wii does.

[quote name='terribledeli']Is it a hard freeze (Like the whole system needs to be rebooted)? or just a stutter freeze?

For some reason, the game constantly stutter freezes when my wife is playing with just the drums and mic. Toss in the guitar and we have zero problems.

Anyone else having those problems (I scanned through the thread and didn't see anyone else with the problem. Many apologizes if I missed it)?[/QUOTE]

For me it's a hard freeze :/

[quote name='eastx']A big never on that one (sub $100)... Shame on you for asking.
If you don't want to spend much, best buy the game by itself (maybe using buy.com with GCO or a coupon somewhere) and a cheap GH2 controller or something.[/QUOTE]

Agreed that it'll never hit $100, but what's the lowest price you think it'll hit in the near future? Amazon already dropped the price by $10, and my local Wal-Mart had them in stock all day yesterday, so it's not flying off store shelves like EA had hoped (and predicted).

I'm tempted to hop on the Amazon deal, but if it's going to be sitting on store shelves and have another $10 or so shaved off (or have some incentive purchases like free XBL points) then I'm perfectly willing to wait a bit longer.

[quote name='ReussDr']Agreed that it'll never hit $100, but what's the lowest price you think it'll hit in the near future? Amazon already dropped the price by $10, and my local Wal-Mart had them in stock all day yesterday, so it's not flying off store shelves like EA had hoped (and predicted).

I'm tempted to hop on the Amazon deal, but if it's going to be sitting on store shelves and have another $10 or so shaved off (or have some incentive purchases like free XBL points) then I'm perfectly willing to wait a bit longer.[/QUOTE]

GHII is just now hitting $59 on BF. That's $30 as the biggest deal, and it came out quite a while ago.

[quote name='rly723']

by the way, i definitely prefer using GH II guitar than the rockband one while using each last night. more compact and comfortable to hold, just my opinion[/quote]
Just so you know, the GH3 guitar is SO much better than the GH2 one. I haven't used the Stratocastor, but I would be willing to bet that the GH3 Les Paul is so much better than the Stratocastor. Go to a local GameCrazy if you have one and try it out...

[quote name='ReussDr']Agreed that it'll never hit $100, but what's the lowest price you think it'll hit in the near future? Amazon already dropped the price by $10, and my local Wal-Mart had them in stock all day yesterday, so it's not flying off store shelves like EA had hoped (and predicted).

I'm tempted to hop on the Amazon deal, but if it's going to be sitting on store shelves and have another $10 or so shaved off (or have some incentive purchases like free XBL points) then I'm perfectly willing to wait a bit longer.[/quote]

Amazon often has discounts on games, like $5 off a $60 game, or $3 off a $30 one... And maybe in your area Rock Band isn't flying off of store shelves, but where I live, it is impossible to find. And when there are 2 weeks before Christmas, people will be looking anywhere to get it... Plus the Amazon price will probably go back up to $170 after this shipment or so.

My guitar player:
rockbandguy.jpg

Pretty nice looking character there Evan. It cracks me up having characters like that then playing songs like Maps or Orange Crush, especially when the singer is all metal or punked out.

Tried to play the drums at Walmart today but the set up sucked the drum stick cables were way to short so I was bent over and sucked ass on drums. Half way through the song I gave them to some kid and he started pounding the drums like Bam Bam on the Flinstones lol. They looked pretty solid though and i'll pick the set up eventually.

Any word on guitar replacement? My strum bar stopped working when strumming down and everyone was yelling at our guitarist for being so off today haha.

[quote name='Milkyman']do you guys think its worthwhile to pickup the game only and just play guitar with my gh3 guitar?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think it's worth it. The GH 3 controller is way better (and more durable) than the RB Fender, for one thing. Plus you'll be able to sing with a regular 360 headset... You can just get the drums or a 2nd guitar later on if you feel so inclined.

[quote name='PhantomaZero']Thanks. I got to the part where it asked for a CC number and decided I would test it out some more before I asked for a replacement. I let a can of compressed air loose in the strum bar and it seems to be working better now. Thanks![/quote]
I'm sure the CC# require is just as a security measure, since they send out a replacement first and then you send yours in.

If you've got both a GH2 and GH3 controller, is there any real reason to keep the RB guitar?

Anyone looking for an extra RB guitar? ;)

[quote name='daroga']If you've got both a GH2 and GH3 controller, is there any real reason to keep the RB guitar?

Anyone looking for an extra RB guitar? ;)[/quote]

I have 2 GH2 guitars and a RB guitar. I love the RB guitar, the wife prefers the GH2.

[quote name='sp00ge']I have 2 GH2 guitars and a RB guitar. I love the RB guitar, the wife prefers the GH2.[/quote]Is there anything that the GH guitars are handicapped for? I know they're missing the smaller buttons down the neck, but I suck enough using the normal buttons let alone trying to move! ;)

Space is a serious concern around here so one less thing cluttering up the place the better it is.

[quote name='daroga']Is there anything that the GH guitars are handicapped for? I know they're missing the smaller buttons down the neck, but I suck enough using the normal buttons let alone trying to move! ;)[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it's worth keeping all three. You'll lose the effects if you dump the RB guitar but if that's not really a dealbreaker, may as well get rid of it if you prefer the GH guitars. I'm really warming up to the RB guitar though.

And that Fatal Fury drummer rules.

*EDIT* - Anyone remember what the default band name was the first time they started a band? "Horse Lock" came up for me and that was too good to get rid of, although I added a " Big Ol' " in front of it.

[quote name='Bezerker']Is that Wooly Willy?[/quote]

And the gay cowboy drummer.

I kid! I kid! :D

I'll post my guitarist tomorrow.

Anyone know of a way to reduce the tension of the spring on the kick plate for the drums, WAY too hard to puch it down compared to my brothers RL set.

[quote name='daroga']Is there anything that the GH guitars are handicapped for? I know they're missing the smaller buttons down the neck, but I suck enough using the normal buttons let alone trying to move! ;)

Space is a serious concern around here so one less thing cluttering up the place the better it is.[/QUOTE]

Just stick the RB guitar in a box and call it a day. The strum bar on it is absolute shit.

I've got to say, I'm loving this game. It's hard to jsutify the insane price (I'm going to end up using about $100 in "free" GC from Amazon through my credit card) and hopefully sell the guitar so maybe end up costing me ~$5-15 total out of pocket.

I just got through the first set on a solo tour as drummer on Easy. I'm breezing through it pretty well thus far, but I hesitate to step it up to Medium. I think I'll just finsih the main sets on Easy before bumping it up. It's nuts though how much more there is to most of the drum parts compared to what Easy has you playing. ;)

[quote name='Immortal fWd']For those of you who have 2 GH controllers and don't want the Rock Band guitar, sell it while it's hot, I just popped mine for $71 shipped on eBay.[/quote]

May I have some of your details on how you did your auction?

Starting price, duration, etc.

Also, what did you charge for shipping and how did you ship it? Did you basically use the box that it came in and tape the sides shut?

[quote name='evanft']Supposedly, you can tell if you have a bad one by the packaging, and mine has the bad one's packaging.[/quote]Perhaps I missed it, but did evenft ever clarify this post?

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']Perhaps I missed it, but did evenft ever clarify this post?[/QUOTE]

Actually, forget the packaging. Maybe model # has something to do with it. Go to Score Hero and look at some of the threads.

Anyone know how to remove the head from the Fender guitar? I'm trying to get it back in the box, but having a hell of a time due to its length. :(

[quote name='KaneRobot'] *EDIT* - Anyone remember what the default band name was the first time they started a band? "Horse Lock" came up for me and that was too good to get rid of, although I added a " Big Ol' " in front of it.[/quote]

Mustache Pants, our current band name.
I still want something along the lines of Pillowpants and the Pussy Trolls

Heh, just sold my guitar for $80 shipped on eBay. Get it up while they're got guys.

$15 ought to cover your shipping in the original box via Priority Mail and most eBay/PayPal fees.

RIP Drum Pedal.

My friend broke it in half while playing the last song in the HOF.

We beat the song, however.

I sent in for a new one already.

[quote name='evanft']Actually, forget the packaging. Maybe model # has something to do with it. Go to Score Hero and look at some of the threads.[/quote]
At first I wondered why I couldn't keep a long string of notes with RY, RB, or RG and looked over at that thread. My kit didn't fit into either of the first 2 categories, I had no cardboard but had labeled sticks.

I went into practice mode with a song without drums in the beginning (Say It Ain't So is good) to see how my pads reacted. I started with slow hits then upped into fairly quick drum rolls, everything registered perfectly. Then I tried the snare combinations and they all did fine, it seems that I usually play faster than required (which happened a lot on Expert on GH3 for me if I didn't have the tempo spot-on.).

I encourage all the CAGers who play drums to check that thread out and keep an eye on it if you have any suspicion that your kit is faulty. By all means, get that shit replaced if you're worried about it.

Last note, I think most people who play drums are going to encounter snapped kick pedals in the long run. The construction of that thing is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back