Rock Band - Discussion moved to Rock Band 2 thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='evanft']Man, singing, even on easy, is hard. I have to sing in a fucking high voice to get it to work.[/QUOTE]
What songs do you think are the hardest?

[quote name='masterh']I'm having the WORST time trying to assemble the Fender... the head won't click on the end of the body. Can anyone tell me any kind of advice? I've tried forcing the end and it still won't connect :whistle2:( Not that it affects gameplay, but...[/quote]

Force it harder. That's the only way to do it. Just make sure that it's aligned properly before whacking it.

Tried it just now with some friends and boy was it awesome!
Kinda wish I could get the mic, I had tons of fun singing!
I'm at around Medium-Hard on singing.
Medium on drums.
Expert on bass and kinda on guitar. It's really hard to do solos with the GH3 guitar on RB.
I even beat GH3 on expert and I'm still having trouble with some stuff on RB.
Anyway, awesome game.

Here's an article I wrote about three things to pick up to make Rock Band more convenient.

Basically: Pick up a USB extender, get a short stool for the drum kit and buy a mic stand so you can sing and play.

The USB extender cable is a life saver and my mini stool works perfect for the drum kit. I'm still need to go and find myself a cheap mic stand.

Any other suggestions?

I did come across that the headset works good as a mic, it does not bother me too much to use it, it'll hold till Activision decides to put the insturments out seperately

Finally got my Xbox 360 connected to Live (haven't had it online since school started), I've got Rock Band if anyone wants to play with me. I'm up for any instrument.

Add me as a friend. I might be up for playing a bit. I can do guitar, bass, or mic. Haven't spent enough time with the drums to be useful yet.

My girlfriend and I just came up against an interesting wall. Once you hit 160,000 fans in world your the game won't let you get more unless everyone in the band is playing at least on hard mode. I imagine there's a limit for hard, too. Guess that means practice, practice, practice, huh?

Let me ask you guys this.. since I can't find out for myself, i'm picking up the game tomorrow:

When you're doing really, really good, the crowd sings along.

Am I correct in thinking that, assuming you have a person singing, and the crowd's singing along, the vocalist could stop singing and all you would hear is the crowd sing the part? That would be AWESOME if you could.

By default the real voice is always playing in the background, even when you have someone singing. You can turn it down in the menu though, even when you're playing guitar and drums(I think).

Ha, I thought my mic was broken until I realized you had to have a vanilla 360 plugged in with it for it to work(so you can advance through the menus). How do you do guitars + vocals simultaneously though, do you have to do it roundabout and make a separate character for each?

[quote name='Nelo Ice']damn drums i cant play very well..even on easy :lol:[/QUOTE]
yeah.. me too. I suck so badly, but it's a lot of fun. Anyone have an idea on where to put the drumsticks..maybe something that attatches to the side?

[quote name='Mojimbo']By default the real voice is always playing in the background, even when you have someone singing. You can turn it down in the menu though, even when you're playing guitar and drums(I think).[/QUOTE]

There is also a way to adjust vox settings from the controller
while you are playing, I believe. I haven't tried singing yet
without playing drums or guitar so I haven't gotten to try that.

Ha, I thought my mic was broken until I realized you had to have a vanilla 360 [controller] plugged in with it for it to work(so you can advance through the menus). How do you do guitars + vocals simultaneously though, do you have to do it roundabout and make a separate character for each?

Yep, you have to set up another character.
You can just have it be 'Player X' but you might as well set up a guest profile.

I wish there was a way to have both be on my profile though.
I wonder if Harmonix has acknowledged this or maybe it is something unlockable?

My buddy from NS will be coming up and he'll get to play RB for the first time
(except for Best Buy demo like everyone else which was definitely inferior.)
I will have to get the QOTSA dlc since it has the same song he did in GH3 lol.

Ride the Lightning is worth it just to hear Cliff's bass line without guitar over it!!!

[quote name='bigdsinferno']yeah.. me too. I suck so badly, but it's a lot of fun. Anyone have an idea on where to put the drumsticks..maybe something that attatches to the side?[/quote]

Look at the back side of the yellow and blue drums. See those black clip looking things? Pull them out. That's your sticks holder.

I'm pretty damn good on drums on Medium. Hard.... um, not so much. The difference between Medium and Hard seems to be a larger gap than Hard to Medium.

I'll keep on practicing though. Oh, and Im still trying to figure out how to never play Wanted Dead or Alive again

[quote name='SpottedNigel']The difference between Medium and Hard seems to be a larger gap than Hard to Medium.
[/quote]

huwhaaaa???

Whew, the guitar solo for Highway Star is frickin' intense on hard. First song I've failed so far. Got it (barely) on the 2nd try, though.

[quote name='equest943']Hey Maynard, it isn't hard for you to adjust your hands when hitting the snare and high hat?[/quote]

A little but I drum using my left hand on the hi hat so that has been tough to get used to. I model my drumming after Beauford (dave matthews) and also danny carey (tool).

The most challenging part for me is I am giong through the drumming parts on expert and I am doing totally fine and I have five starred all of them that I have tried, but the issue I am having is that I am so used to playing them on my set that I am a creature of habit and trying to hit all the drums that aren't there. IE the crash, china, floor tom. I know it sounds crazy but it is just weird when I am doing the correct floor pedal timing and it says I am off. That Hole song is pissing me off though, because when I was playing it I thought "this doesn't sound right." So I quickly downloaded it and listened to it and sure enough the drums are a little off.

Drumming for almost 14 years now will fuck with your head because you become a creature of habit and just about any song I hear I can drum in about 3 min's of listening to it. So when I play on anything but expert the game is hard as hell to me because I am trying to hit every single note in the damn song.

I will say that this is as close as you guys are going to get to real drums without spending $2000 on a nice set. The drums are responsive and believe it or not, will help you keep a basic rock beat. I'll upload some videos of me playing later on in the week, both on real and on Rock Band so you can see the difference.

[quote name='Maynard']So when I play on anything but expert the game is hard as hell to me because I am trying to hit every single note in the damn song. .[/QUOTE]
My brother had that same problem, he's been playing for a few years. I told him to "start on easy" and he did worse than he did later on medium and hard. There's just not enough to do to make it seem the least bit natural.

Now I've never played drums in my life so easy is just fine with me. I just wish my drums were as responsive as yours apparently are.

There is also a way to adjust vox settings from the controller
while you are playing, I believe. I haven't tried singing yet
without playing drums or guitar so I haven't gotten to try that.

Yeah, it's the Y button with the d-pad left/right to decrease/increase.

Just unlocked the Coheed and Cambria song on World Tour and it's fun as hell...at least for guitar. Had to rescue my girlfriend once when she was on drums, and it's not the most euphonic song in the world, but it was a great play for me.

Well I picked up Rock Band mostly for the drums, but today my friend who was supposed to be our vocalist couldn't make it so I took over for him. Oddly enough, I found singing to be a lot of fun. In fact, I believe I'm ranked 3 on Welcome Home right now. =D

Anyone tried adding foam to the ends of the drumsticks and see if it still registers? I get the urge to play late at night. The constant knocking on the pads may wake up a few, plus I have to turn down the volume and it gets harder to hear the song itself with the knocking.

And thanks for the tip on the drumstick holder. I kept looking at it and wondered what the hell it was for.

I have been playing with my marching snare drumsticks. I got a set of Silver Fox sticks YEARS ago and they were awful for regular drumming, because they resemble a quad (tenor) mallet, with a large wooden stick, but they rule ass for rock band's drumset!

(kudos for the hint on the stick holster, NEVER would have figured that out!!)

(found a link from texas with a picture of those drumsticks)
http://www.lonestarpercussion.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=431

Can't wait to play this with my band tonight. The boys are coming over after the Thanksgiving stuff to rock out all night. Just received my pre-order from Amazon last night, but waiting to open it when all of us can jam.

Damn, the GH3 thread is over 10 times bigger than the Rock Band thread. Weird because Rock Band has a lot more to talk about. My friend walked out with the $170 set last night, so I'm going to go over with a couple of other friends and play it at his house to see if I want to buy it. I only have a GH2 guitar, and I don't have $170 to buy the game and all the instruments, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. How much does it cost to buy the instruments and the game seperately? Is it a lot more than $170?

[quote name='sj41']Damn, the GH3 thread is over 10 times bigger than the Rock Band thread. Weird because Rock Band has a lot more to talk about. My friend walked out with the $170 set last night, so I'm going to go over with a couple of other friends and play it at his house to see if I want to buy it. I only have a GH2 guitar, and I don't have $170 to buy the game and all the instruments, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. How much does it cost to buy the instruments and the game seperately? Is it a lot more than $170?[/QUOTE]

GH3 has also been out for about a month.

Put in the request for the replacement drums. It was actually quite painless, you can do it right through the website.

[quote name='sj41']Damn, the GH3 thread is over 10 times bigger than the Rock Band thread.[/QUOTE]
This thread was started 3 weeks ago. The GH3 thread was started in April. Not to mention there's a less-console specific thread in the general gaming forums that is quite large.

And yes, it'll cost more to buy the guitar/drums/mic/game separately. The drums and (wireless) guitar alone go for 80 bucks each.

Had a group of friends over last night and had an absolute blast! We mainly played the world tour. A problem we had was that I had d/l the Metallica tracks before everyone came over and during our sets, it kept selecting them when we let the game pick. Needless to say, with little to no experience players, we got our asses handed to us every time. Does anyone know how to disable the d/l content to keep this from happening?? We had no trouble with the main songs, but Metallica kept bringing us down.

So I got my copy last night. So far no broken insterments. But my guitar is missing parts. I'm missing the top part that says "fender" on it and I didn't get a strap or instructions.

It looks like who ever packed my guitar left these parts out.

I've had a blast on the drums and even singing. I'm going to be playing this for a while. Too bad for Mario Galaxy, I really wanted to beat that too.

Also all the reviewers who said "this game isn't fun by yourself" are full of crap. I'm having a blast banging on my drums.

Has anyone gotten any of the DLC? Or does anyone know of a site that reviews the DLC to see what are the best guitar/drum songs? I'd hate to get DLC and find out the song is one sided to one insterment. I did get "Bang the Gong" since I like that song so much and I wanted to see how the DLC was handeled in the game.

[quote name='sp00ge']Anyone looking to play some, send me a FR. I'm tired of these people who play and quit before the stats even pop up.[/quote]

Sorry for being "eh" at the drums on our sessions. I had to play them with the face buttons (you read correctly, the XYAB buttons) to reduce noise, I still had a fucking blast though.

[quote name='menikmati']Sorry for being "eh" at the drums on our sessions. I had to play them with the face buttons (you read correctly, the XYAB buttons) to reduce noise, I still had a fucking blast though.[/quote]

Hell yeah, that was fun. I had t go because I had to get up early this morning with my daughter. You did pretty good for dumming on a control pad.

I was playing pretty badly because I was getting sleepy while playing... and drinking. :D

[quote name='KingDox']So I got my copy last night. So far no broken insterments. But my guitar is missing parts. I'm missing the top part that says "fender" on it and I didn't get a strap or instructions.

It looks like who ever packed my guitar left these parts out.[/QUOTE]

Did you open both ends of the guitar box? The strap and endpiece were in a small box wedged into one end of the box that has to be removed from that end.

I though I was missing them too at first, until I checked the other end.

[quote name='sp00ge']Hell yeah, that was fun. I had t go because I had to get up early this morning with my daughter. You did pretty good for dumming on a control pad.

I was playing pretty badly because I was getting sleepy while playing... and drinking. :D

Did you open both ends of the guitar box? The strap and endpiece were in a small box wedged into one end of the box that has to be removed from that end.

I though I was missing them too at first, until I checked the other end.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've taken a box cutter to all my boxes in a vain attempt to find that part. I've broken down all my boxes flat and that box with the guitar top and strap are no where to be found.

Every time I read a problem about the drums, I think about maybe just sending them in now before I get any good at the game and the warranty has expired. Supposedly, you can tell if you have a bad one by the packaging, and mine has the bad one's packaging.

[quote name='evanft']Every time I read a problem about the drums, I think about maybe just sending them in now before I get any good at the game and the warranty has expired. Supposedly, you can tell if you have a bad one by the packaging, and mine has the bad one's packaging.[/quote]

Link?

[quote name='Santurio']ditto[/quote]

Yeah, same here. Wife is pissed because she wants me to throw out the packaging because tomorrow is garbage day. I'm not throwing anything out until I get more info.

Just beat the game on vocalist/medium/solo.

Awesome credits. They took every member of Harmonix and put them in goofy rock poses, with instruments, and took their individual pictures. It was totally metal.

Is it a general game issue or a personal setting/preference that the drums don't quite have the kick to them when you play them? It's hard to tell from the game sounds whether I'm hitting the notes. I've got bass boost on, but we still noticed it doesn't quite have the same effect as when you're strumming notes on the guitar.

Ugh. I want to jump in there with some of you guys but my internet connection has been absolute SHIT for the last week, it constantly goes down or slows to a crawl. I don't want to be in the middle of something and then cut out. I'm dropping Comcast as early as today and switching to Wide Open West so I'll hopefully be ready sometime next week.

[quote name='evanft']Every time I read a problem about the drums, I think about maybe just sending them in now before I get any good at the game and the warranty has expired.[/QUOTE]

If you're just going through EA like that pink paper says, do it. They send the drums to you first, and you send your crappy ones back in the box they provide, so you don't have to go without them for any length of time.

And I agree that it's bullshit about it "not being fun by yourself."

[quote name='KingDox']So I got my copy last night. So far no broken insterments. But my guitar is missing parts. I'm missing the top part that says "fender" on it and I didn't get a strap or instructions.
[/QUOTE]
the top part of the guitar and the strap come in its own box inside the guitar box. you should double check.

This proberly has been asked before, but how fun is this game if you just have two guitars and people just playing the Bass and Guitar parts? And is the single player any good if you can just play the guitar/bass parts?

[quote name='ajh2298']This proberly has been asked before, but how fun is this game if you just have two guitars and people just playing the Bass and Guitar parts? And is the single player any good if you can just play the guitar/bass parts?[/quote]If you've played any of the GH games and are proficient at them at the Medium setting, then I would suggest bumping up the guitar parts in GH to at least Hard or else they're pretty dull. The note charts aren't anywhere as good as GH. There's some big lulls as well in the bass part, but that part works very well for beginners due to the lack of notes.

Question: So Band Quickplay is available for four different people across four different consoles online? I thought that wasn't available for online play? Or is that only Band World Tour?

[quote name='evanft']Every time I read a problem about the drums, I think about maybe just sending them in now before I get any good at the game and the warranty has expired. Supposedly, you can tell if you have a bad one by the packaging, and mine has the bad one's packaging.[/quote]

Gah please do tell!

It'll give me an excuse to open it before X-mas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back