Rock Band series - Rock Band 4 out now

If you have purchased an individual track, and later purchased the track pack that contains that track, then yes, you can absolutely safely delete the individual track. You'll still have it in the track pack. Example: I orginally bought Boston's "Rock & Roll Band" when it was on sale for 80 points quite some time ago. A couple months ago, the Boston pack went on sale, and I bought it. I then deleted the individual file for "Rock & Roll Band," but I still have the song in my library, because it's also contained in the Boston pack. Make sense?

Can anyone recommend any songs that are fun on guitar and bass from Imagine aside from How Do You Sleep?

Edit: I just went ahead and grabbed the whole pack. In a Beatles mindset and shit like Oh Yoko! looked fun as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I made a generic setlist last night if anyone wants to play it:

...And Justice For All - Metallica
10's - Pantera
Two Mins To Midnight - MAIDEN
3's & 7's (or whatever it's called) Queens Of The Stone Age
a song I can't remember from Jimi Hendrix

I played Guitar on Medium....not really into the competition of Hard or Expert, but just for fun...thought I'd share it with ya.

Harmonix:

We’ve also been tracking all the feedback about requested fixes and we’re happy to announce that there’s an RB3 update going live today that should address some of the most discussed issues of the last month. We’ve received confirmation that this update should be live on PS3 (both SCEA and SCEE) today and will hit Xbox360 in the near future. We’ll update this thread as soon as we have more details.

There is a plan to release another update in the near future to address numerous other items, but these were the most pressing issues that we wanted to target as quickly as possible.

• Arena 12 Freeze (aka The Roadie Amp Loading Screen of Death) – If the amp loading vignette occurred immediately prior to an especially resource heavy venue it had the potential to cause a freeze. Your band should now be able to load their gear uninterrupted.

• Save Data Affected By Especially Long Band Names – Custom / Random Setlists specific to artists with especially long names (most notably Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, Honest Bob and the Factory to Dealer Incentives, The Presidents of the United States of America, etc) that were not completed before playing through to the next auto save could result in corrupted save data.

• Iron Man Eyebrow Freeze in Character Creator – The Character Creator would sometimes seize up when reselecting the default eyebrow for the Iron Man pre set face. All eyebrows are now safe.

• Pause Scoring Exploit – To prevent abuse of repeated pausing mid-song to pad a score, we now disable score reporting on any song in which a player repeatedly pauses. Your crowd meter should go grey and you will not be able to complete any goals or achievements tied to score during that play through.

Anyone have any indication of how well the rock band network stuff is doing? I remember when it came out, Sub Pop and other labels showed a ton of support. Has a lot of that come, and are they selling? I'm a huge fan of some of the albums they've put out, but I get the feeling they'd be near the bottom of the list of things they'd release...

I hope one of the "numerous other items" they're talking about for the update after this one is Stage Kit support. Even if it's just for the RB2-compatible songs, it'd be enough to get me onto the RB3 band(no pun intended)wagon.

I am glad I got the Imagine DLC. Even the slow songs are pretty fun. How Do You Sleep?, Oh Yoko!, and Gimme Some Truth are great additions and songs I know that I will continue to want to play.

Finally played with someone on XBL and they didn't have any of my downloaded songs except for Megadeth, Maiden and Rush....sigh.....fun to play, but they were also playing on on guitar pro expert, I am still on Medium...played 1 set of 5 songs then started the 2nd set and I tried hard....he left almost immediately lol I suck ha ha.

^ If he was playing pro guitar he may have left because of non-pro songs being selected. Five lane is not too fun on the Pro Guitar.

[quote name='porieux']^ If he was playing pro guitar he may have left because of non-pro songs being selected. Five lane is not too fun on the Pro Guitar.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh oh well at least he played for a bit with me

This week's DLC...

[quote name='RockBand.com']Available on Xbox 360, Wii, and PlayStation 3 on December 7:
Queen Extravaganza Pack 01

• "Hammer to Fall"X
  • "Keep Yourself Alive"X
  • "Now I'm Here"X
  • "Tenement Funster"X
  • "We Are the Champions" (RB3 Version)
  • "We Will Rock You" (RB3 Version)
Queen RB3 Enhanced Pack

• "I Want It All" (RB3 Version)X
  • "I Want To Break Free" (RB3 Version)X
  • "Killer Queen" (RB3 Version)X
  • "One Vision" (RB3 Version)X
  • "Somebody To Love" (RB3 Version)X
  • "Under Pressure" (RB3 Version)X
These tracks will be available for purchase as individual tracks for $1.99 on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 and $2.00 on Wii, as well as “Queen RB3 Enhanced Pack” for $9.99 and “Queen Extravaganza Pack 01” for $10.99 on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 system and Wii. Tracks marked with “X” will include Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.[/Quote]

Now please excuse me while I go brush the bad taste out of my mouth. The least they could do is put this stuff out in addition to shit that is actually NEW to the platform. It's hard not to be at least mildly irked when the only thing being offered to you is shit you have already bought with some added bells and whistles. Quite frankly the coding for the Queen stuff and a lot of other content all should have had the code added for harmonies, pro drums, and (pro)keys in anticipation of RB3 which has been in development since when?

HAMMER TO FALL AND KEEP YOURSELF ALIVE. fuck yeah. Those were the two I mentioned wanting after the first pack came out. Tenement Funster is such a bizarre pick but an awesome song.

Honestly don't care about We Will Rock You & We Are The Champions but I'm probably in for that full pack regardless.

[quote name='2DMention']Decent songs, but lame that it's more classic rock.[/QUOTE]

More lame that they're selling us repeat songs at full price.

[quote name='KaneRobot']More lame that they're selling us repeat songs at full price.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I could see $1, but not more than that.

I really don't understand why they can't just charge $1 for a RB3 upgrade. Even if you have to download the track all over again to add the keys and possibly newly updated guitar charts, that's fine. They say they don't have a mechanism in place to do this yet, but I don't see any reason why they couldn't figure it out. The Rock Band store already knows what songs you already own so it can't be that difficult. I guess the only thing we can do now is not repurchase songs we already own. Hell, I won't even buy any of the back catalog for now on since I have no way of knowing whether or not a RB3 version of the song will come out the next week.

[quote name='KaneRobot']HAMMER TO FALL AND KEEP YOURSELF ALIVE. fuck yeah. Those were the two I mentioned wanting after the first pack came out. Tenement Funster is such a bizarre pick but an awesome song.

Honestly don't care about We Will Rock You & We Are The Champions but I'm probably in for that full pack regardless.[/QUOTE]

This! First Skynyrd, now more Queen? I love you, HMX!

It has to have something to do with the songs being on a disc. That is the only thing I can think of since the only time they have done it is for those type of songs.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']It has to have something to do with the songs being on a disc. That is the only thing I can think of since the only time they have done it is for those type of songs.[/QUOTE]

Um, no. That whole Queen "RB3 enhanced pack" is all songs from the first big Queen DLC pack (which I eagerly bought on day one) are they not? Harmonix can go fuck themselves if this is how they're going to treat people who've been supporting the "platform" and keeping it alive when they didn't have a new game on the shelves to drive revenue.

I love RB as much as the next guy, but asking people to buy songs all over again just for harmonies and keys is ridiculous. It annoyed me when they did it with Bon Jovi, but this proves it's going to be a recurring theme. If they want to ensure that the genre dies, this is how to do it: piss off the people who never stopped playing your game.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Um, no. That whole Queen "RB3 enhanced pack" is all songs from the first big Queen DLC pack (which I eagerly bought on day one) are they not? Harmonix can go fuck themselves if this is how they're going to treat people who've been supporting the "platform" and keeping it alive when they didn't have a new game on the shelves to drive revenue.

I love RB as much as the next guy, but asking people to buy songs all over again just for harmonies and keys is ridiculous. It annoyed me when they did it with Bon Jovi, but this proves it's going to be a recurring theme. If they want to ensure that the genre dies, this is how to do it: piss off the people who never stopped playing your game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you are right. I totally spaced out on the enhanced pack. That is total bullshit and I am in agreement with you on that. The L:RB tracks and the Bon Jovi shit I can somewhat understand, but that other Queen pack does piss me off.

I'm thinking about drafting up a letter on behalf of CAG to send over to Harmonix about this whole DLC situation. I bet that if we as a community got behind it, we might be able to get sites like Joystiq or even the Consumerist to post it as well. Just an idea because this situation really infuriates me.

Frankly I'm completely done with RB DLC from this point on. I was going to get a keyboard adapter but decided against it since it won't work with any of the songs I have unless I pay for them again. And the songs on disk are fun enough but not enough to start buying more instruments.

I'm super dissapointed in how this is going down, but with RB2/RB3 I still have a lot of songs I can play if I want to, but I'm just about ready to be done with this. I guess I'd be more excited if I thought that for $1/song I could get keyboards added (or pro guitar or all of it).

[quote name='ZForce915']Frankly I'm completely done with RB DLC from this point on. I was going to get a keyboard adapter but decided against it since it won't work with any of the songs I have unless I pay for them again. And the songs on disk are fun enough but not enough to start buying more instruments.

I'm super dissapointed in how this is going down, but with RB2/RB3 I still have a lot of songs I can play if I want to, but I'm just about ready to be done with this. I guess I'd be more excited if I thought that for $1/song I could get keyboards added (or pro guitar or all of it).[/QUOTE]

Keyboards are included with your regular priced DLC now. The X-upgrades are pro guitar/pro bass.

They must have known that they were adding harmonies and keyboard into RB3 when the Queen pack came out late last year. So they went ahead and released it anyways knowing they would charge us full price again for harmonies and keys? Seems like a dick move and kind of stupid considering that the early adopters they're shitting on are some of the only people left who still give a shit about their game. The least they could do is roll pro keys and harmonies into the $1 pro guitar and bass legacy upgrades.

Oh wow, totally missed the "Enhanced" pack... Now I'm conflicted, I love keys and I love Queen, but it's bullshit that I have to buy the songs again. I know it would just add to the confusion of song options, but I agree with the idea of having a $1.00 upgrade for the "enhancements" if you bought it originally.

[quote name='epb']I'm thinking about drafting up a letter on behalf of CAG to send over to Harmonix about this whole DLC situation. I bet that if we as a community got behind it, we might be able to get sites like Joystiq or even the Consumerist to post it as well. Just an idea because this situation really infuriates me.[/QUOTE]

Feel free. I'll put it in the OP if you do.

That said, it's too late for THIS content at least - Harmonix won't go back AGAIN and fix it so we suddenly have 1 dollar upgrades available for the older Queen stuff. Then we'd have the originals, the "RB3 versions," the pro upgrades, AND the original-to-RB3 version upgrade all sitting there...and the people who decided to take it in the ass and buy both the originals AND the RB3 versions will be even MORE pissed.

I kind of doubt they'll change anything at this point...companies HATE admitting they're wrong. Can't hurt to try I suppose.

As someone who dropped out of RB for a while and was on the fence about picking up RB3, this is basically the news that seals it. It's a shame, too, because there's a lot of stuff right on the disc that I wanted, but until this DLC thing is sorted out, I might as well just stick with RB2.

Between the yearly flogging of GH, and angering the core fanbase of RB, this really isn't going to help the recovery of the music game genre. Shame, but that's the way it goes.

I love Rockband 3 and in general in I love Harmonix. However, I agree with you on the BS that is the Queen RB3 Enhanced pack and to the lesser extent the other Queen pack. So in effect we're only getting 5 new songs while the rest is songs from previous dlc/discs. I mean I am main play pro drums. I like my keyboard but it doesn't drive my DLC purchases likewise with vocals and pro guitars.

Have they said whether you can buy Pro Guitar upgrades to go with the old versions of the songs? If not that is pretty lame.

Come on Harmonix, I want to support you but I'm not a dumbass.

If it's a technical problem that's just stupid, and if it's greed it's unconscionable AND stupid.

Wow, I'm almost having a hard time believing we're all on the same page here, lol. I thought by now we'd surely have some Harmonix apologist telling us all what a sense of entitlement we have. This is freaking me out, haha.

I get that it might be complicated for Harmonix to offer multiple "versions" of these older songs. Yes, you'd have the RB/RB2 version that people initially bought, the RB3 version, the keys/harmonies upgrade, and the pro guitar/bass upgrade. Some people say just lump the key/harmonies upgrade in with the pro guitar/bass upgrade...but if they did that, it would be reasonable for them to charge $2. And then you'd get people saying they have no interest in the pro guitar, blah blah.

But I would compare that to the old DLC for people who only play drums or people who don't ever sing. You were always buying additional charts that you might not use. At least this way you'd be paying for all new content..and you'd have the OPTION of moving up to the pro guitar/bass in the future. Personally, I haven't even decided if I'll ever get a pro guitar, but I'd feel better about paying $2 for content that I don't have than $3 for something I already own 75% of. I wonder if Harmonix ever even considered this option or did any market research on it.

In all honesty, I'm kind of surprised that they're spending so much time focusing on rehashed DLC lately. I'm guessing it's cheaper since they already have the licenses and just need to add the charts. But I think we'd be less up in arms about this if we were getting more fresh RB3 geared content with one or two "enhanced" songs added here and there. That damn Billy Joel song pack seriously can't come soon enough, haha.

I'm just happy to see some new Queen songs. I don't feel any outrage, but I only bought like 3 Queens songs from the last pack, so I wouldn't be out that much if I decide to pick up the upgrade pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently there are technical and legal reasons why Harmonix is doing what they are doing, but in the end the consumer gets to deal with it all.

There are a lot of crazy people who are saying, "ARGH I'M BOYCOTTING ROCK BAND F YOUUUUU" but I still love the game. I'm just not going to buy "RB3 versions" of songs I already paid for. Simple as that.

I didn't think it would be that hard for the music store to recognize that you already own the song and charge you a 99 cent upgrade fee as with pro guitar. You download the new track. The old track is hidden from your library so you don't get duplicates.

But I guess that would require some sort of wizardry.

[quote name='lordopus99']We had this convo for Bon Jovi... do we really need bitch every time they do a RB3 version. :roll:[/QUOTE]

With Bon Jovi, it was an anomaly. Now, it's a trend. Can you not grasp the difference? The closeness of the Bon Jovi and Queen double dips makes it that much more worrisome. What are you going to say when they do it again next month?

[quote name='lordopus99']We had this convo for Bon Jovi... do we really need bitch every time they do a RB3 version. :roll:[/QUOTE]

It is a little different when the dynamic changes from songs that were included on discs to songs that you paid 15 dollars for.

The thing a lot of people seem to be missing is this: it's NOT just new charts. The old versions of these songs had the audio separated in a way that essentially lumped keys (if there were keys) into the background track. Now, the RB3 versions have to go back to the original master track, and do the whole mixing process over again. As someone who has dabbled in doing this, let me just say it takes a long time.

And sure, it sucks that we can't have some kind of discount for the new version, but that's not really Harmonix's fault, that's something you'd have to talk to Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo about, as they set up the stores and their rules.

I Bought the Skynrd and Beegee's pack, but jesus enough with the classic rock! There are more then enough bands in this day and age or simply past the 80's that used keyboard in their music.

Despite this I will BUY that Billy Joel with no hesitation.

I totally get that they have to remix the master track and take out the keys parts and to make the vocal harmonies. True, I really only play guitar/bass/drums(pro/non pro) and rarely sing and do keyboards. I'm not super mad at Harmonix nor am I boycotting them. At least for me, I just feel my money is better spent on truly "new" DLC.

I did purchase the whole Beegee pack, all of last week's DLC, and such. I am excited about the Billy Joel pack too.

Hmmm glad I didn't buy that Queen pack initially, but I do see the BS that goes with this and as some have said, I do see a trend and this scares me, especially since I just bought the wife the keys......and she hates Billy Joel lol, but not me.

[quote name='theredworm']watching from the sidelines since rb3 came out I'm glad I passed on this game[/QUOTE]

Your loss. Unless you have zero interest in music games, this is still one of the best games to come out this year, DLC value issues or no DLC value issues.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Wow, I'm almost having a hard time believing we're all on the same page here, lol. I thought by now we'd surely have some Harmonix apologist telling us all what a sense of entitlement we have. This is freaking me out, haha.[/QUOTE]

I went to rockband.com just to see the reaction there, and apparently that's where all the Harmonix apologists are. Most of them are buying the double dip without hesitation and others are trying to claim it's about supporting Harmonix and the new format.

I didn't have the chance to pick up the Queen pack when it came out, so I'll grab the updated one obviously, but I would be royally pissed if I had just bought it. It's not like it's The Who pack or something when the game was fairly new.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']I went to rockband.com just to see the reaction there, and apparently that's where all the Harmonix apologists are. Most of them are buying the double dip without hesitation and others are trying to claim it's about supporting Harmonix and the new format.[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah, that figures. I think the point here is that while Harmonix was by no means obligated to allow previous purchasers to "upgrade" their tracks at a reduced cost, it would have been a nice gesture to those of us who have been supporting the platform for three years. Clearly, it was a business decision, the outcome of which could result in fewer DLC sales in the future. I'm not a fan of the once a month rehashed DLC trend and I won't buy any of it. I don't think anybody was personally offended by the move. It's just kinda like "Ok...I see where we stand."

bread's done
Back