RockBand 1 & 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 3/15/09 - Funk Pack + More!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='KaneRobot']Came here to see if anyone knew about the update...I wish Harmonix would post about this shit before it goes live. Ugh.

For some reason I'm randomly wanting some Springsteen in Rock Band, but I'm not expecting it anytime soon...I'll file it under "about the same time we get Prince songs."[/QUOTE]I will keep dreaming. I was thinking... next year is the 15th anniversary of Purple Rain. My perfect, "never gonna happen but I'd FLIP if it did" scenario would be something like:

The Purple Rain "Vs. Pack"
The Time - Jungle Love
The Time - The Bird
Prince & The Revolution - Let's Go Crazy
Prince & The Revolution - Purple Rain

I would drool all over myself!

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Does anyone have the solution for the RB1 guitar that fixes the tilt issue? The guitar is cool and all, but I don't want to screw up every time I try to deploy the star power.

And yes I already know I could just use the "Select" button, but sometimes I could loose track of where it is and the guitar still uses the star power in its own.[/QUOTE]
It's pretty easy to crack open the Strat, loosen up the tilt sensor, and move it to where it feels better. Mine pretty much went off randomly - overdrive wouldn't activate when I titled it up, but it randomly activated when I was just sitting there, playing. Even though it wouldn't activate when vertical, the problem was that it was too sensitive. It was so sensitive that it was usually activated, and Rock Band wants to see the tilt increase (I think Guitar Hero just wants the tilt to be high). I fixed mine by significantly rotating the tilt sensor counter-clockwise (I think... it's been a while), and pinning it down there.

I know I've seen a guide to it, but I can't find it at the moment. You can at least see the tilt sensor here: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1902

[quote name='ZForce915']I'm debating on getting this album right now or waiting to see if it gets a discount as fast as the Foo Fighters album did. I have a handful of songs that I've downloaded online that I haven't even played yet...[/QUOTE]
I have a bunch of songs I haven't played yet either, especially after the 20 free pack. I miss the New icon that popped up in the listing in RB1. It would help me know if I had played a song already or not.

I Just got a Rock Band 2 bundle...

...For the PS3.

And I don't own a PS3. Even better is the box is signed by the Harmonix crew.

Man, I am dying for the whole Chinese Democracy album by Guns N Roses to be offered. Please make this happen Harmonix so I can give you more of my money.

[quote name='BustaUppa']The Purple Rain "Vs. Pack"
The Time - Jungle Love
The Time - The Bird
Prince & The Revolution - Let's Go Crazy
Prince & The Revolution - Purple Rain[/QUOTE]
Great idea, but hell...they shouldn't limit it, they should throw in at least 2 or 3 more Prince songs from that movie. I'd pay 800 points for it. Just keep that Apollonia crap outta there.

[quote name='deszaras']Man, I am dying for the whole Chinese Democracy album by Guns N Roses to be offered. Please make this happen Harmonix so I can give you more of my money.[/QUOTE]

Why? They haven't released pro-tools, synthesizers, and beat box instruments for RB2 yet.

[quote name='DomLando']Anyone know of any deals for the RB2 bundle?[/quote]
If I remember reading the leaked ad early for Toys R Us, next week the bundle for either 360 or PS3 should be $109.99 PLUS $25 gift card. Can't get better than that.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Why? They haven't released pro-tools, synthesizers, and beat box instruments for RB2 yet.[/quote]

Shackler's Revenge is one of the craziest sounding songs on the album and that made it into the game...

[quote name='bardockkun']If I remember reading the leaked ad early for Toys R Us, next week the bundle for either 360 or PS3 should be $109.99 PLUS $25 gift card. Can't get better than that.[/QUOTE]

Any idea where I can find this ad? I searched and could not find anything.

[quote name='Trakan']Shackler's Revenge is one of the craziest sounding songs on the album and that made it into the game...[/QUOTE]

Shackler's Revenge is clearly a buckethead song with Axel laying a vocal track.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Shackler's Revenge is clearly a buckethead song with Axel laying a vocal track.[/quote]

but Buckethead plays on like 85% of the album

I really wish someone made a program where you could plug your Rock Band drums into the computer and use them as a digital drumset. That would be sweet.

[quote name='ZForce915']Is there any way to tell if you got the 5 gold stars on a song? (is that called FC? what does that stand for?)[/QUOTE]

FC is Full Comboed.

I just spent a bajillion points.

Full No Doubt pack, full Foo pack, full Presidents of the USA pack, random songs from Static X, Siouxie, Soundgarden, Silversun Pickups... Of course I also realized that I have to bloody redownload every other track I've already done before since we got our RROD'd xbox replaced. Just downloading them again doesn't seem to fix it, do I have to delete THEN redownload? Christ.

[quote name='munch']I really wish someone made a program where you could plug your Rock Band drums into the computer and use them as a digital drumset. That would be sweet.[/QUOTE]
You can use it on GarageBand on a Mac. I'm sure there are other programs out there.

[quote name='jezebelseven']FC is Full Comboed.

I just spent a bajillion points.

Full No Doubt pack, full Foo pack, full Presidents of the USA pack, random songs from Static X, Siouxie, Soundgarden, Silversun Pickups... Of course I also realized that I have to bloody redownload every other track I've already done before since we got our RROD'd xbox replaced. Just downloading them again doesn't seem to fix it, do I have to delete THEN redownload? Christ.[/quote]

All you really have to re-dl the content license or some shit, so the DLs will seem instantaneous. Just cue them up from market place though so it'll go faster.

[quote name='ZForce915']Is there any way to tell if you got the 5 gold stars on a song? (is that called FC? what does that stand for?)[/quote]

As stated earlier it's "Full Combo". You achieve a full combo when you 100% song without any extra hits. See, you can still get 100% if you accidentally hit the pads when there is no note. However this would not be an FC.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']All you really have to re-dl the content license or some shit, so the DLs will seem instantaneous. Just cue them up from market place though so it'll go faster.
[/QUOTE]

I thought the content license was already transferred onto my new xbox when they sent it back from repair center?

I tried downloading a few of the tracks again (it said 'purchased' in the store still), the download was practically instant, but then the song still gave the error message about it not being available etc etc.

[quote name='DomLando']Any idea where I can find this ad? I searched and could not find anything.[/quote]
I Found it at work. I'll try re-confirming tomorrow, but pretty sure about that.

I just moved all my data from a 20 gig HD to 60 Gig HD and now rockband says there is problem when trying to play DLC when I'm not online.

Do I have to re-DL all the stuff I got? Because once I go online the songs play fine. But if I ever go to my parents house where they have no internet I would be screwed out of playing my DLC.

[quote name='jezebelseven']I thought the content license was already transferred onto my new xbox when they sent it back from repair center?

I tried downloading a few of the tracks again (it said 'purchased' in the store still), the download was practically instant, but then the song still gave the error message about it not being available etc etc.[/quote]

Sometimes they do...Sometimes they don't. Sounds like you need to use the license transfer on Xbox.com.

[quote name='KingDox']I just moved all my data from a 20 gig HD to 60 Gig HD and now rockband says there is problem when trying to play DLC when I'm not online.

Do I have to re-DL all the stuff I got? Because once I go online the songs play fine. But if I ever go to my parents house where they have no internet I would be screwed out of playing my DLC.[/quote]

Did you move the hard drive to a new Xbox? If so, you will need to use the license transfer tool on Xbox.com.

[quote name='jezebelseven']I thought the content license was already transferred onto my new xbox when they sent it back from repair center?

[/QUOTE]

They say that, but it's not always the case.

Like Brainwave said you HAVE to run the DRM license tool on xbox.com before redownloading everything otherwise you are just wasting your time. Just downloading everything from your history will do absolutely nothing without the DRM app running on their end.

[quote name='munch']I really wish someone made a program where you could plug your Rock Band drums into the computer and use them as a digital drumset. That would be sweet.[/QUOTE]

This is going to be a fairly useless reply since I don't have a link handy, but I remember seeing a program like this shortly after RB1 came out. If I find it I'll post it here. I didn't try it.

Anyway...

Someone want to guinea pig for these? I'm not much of a drummer, so when my RB1 kit eventually craps out like I know it will, I may want to go with a simpler alternative:

http://kotaku.com/5107260/rock-band-portable-drum-kit-review-the-beat-of-a-different-drum

Review seems like in some ways it's actually better than the Harmonix kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm seriously considering this as I don't have a drum kit yet and I will have to buy one outside of the game pack-in. I do relocate since I'm a grad student and this seems to be a nice compromise. If I could see it in action, that may tip the scales for me.

I actually saw this in the Kotaku feedback section re: the Mad Catz drums I linked to above. This is pretty awesome actually, and will save you some money. Too bad it only applies to probably like...1% of Rock Band users, but whatever:

For those who already have an electronic drum kit and don't want to drop 300 on the Ion Kit, the brain from this kit can be attached to all E-Drum kits to make them compatible with Rock Band!

[quote name='cheezisgoooood']Aren't next week's song releases supposed to be announced by now? Just wondering.[/QUOTE]

Its usually around 2:00 I believe. And its all but confirmed its the country songs, but maybe some others too.

and after actually looking at the rockband forums, there's been the announcement for the songs since monday.... but here, lets make it official on here:

[quote name='hmxsean']DLC Week of 12/16 - Country Pack
Hey everybody,

Coming at you with a Monday announcement. As widely reported next week's pack is of the country variety!

Brad Paisley - “Mud on the Tires”

Brooks & Dunn - “Hillbilly Deluxe”

Dierks Bentley - “Free and Easy (Down the Road I Go)”

Dixie Chicks - “Sin Wagon”

Miranda Lambert “Gunpowder & Lead”

Each track will be available starting December 16, 2008, for the Xbox360 and December 18, 2008, for PS3. Each individual track will be available for $1.99 (160 Microsoft Points) and $8.49 (680 Microsoft Points) for the 5-pack.[/QUOTE]

Just so you guys know the AC/DC track pack is down to 30 bucks at walmart. You even get this little gift pack deal with a shirt and a dvd on top of the game which is still 30.

As soon as it hits 20 it'll be a buy for me.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Just so you guys know the AC/DC track pack is down to 30 bucks at walmart. You even get this little gift pack deal with a shirt and a dvd on top of the game which is still 30.

As soon as it hits 20 it'll be a buy for me.[/QUOTE]
Not surprising, but good to know. Same here, I'll get it when it's 20 bucks.

I tried downloading a few of the tracks again (it said 'purchased' in the store still), the download was practically instant, but then the song still gave the error message about it not being available etc etc.[/QUOTE]

Nope, microsoft didn't transfer my licenses over either. I had to call them back twice to get a CSR who understood what the problem was.

[quote name='tgk2044']and after actually looking at the rockband forums, there's been the announcement for the songs since monday.... but here, lets make it official on here:[/quote]
Dang, I was hoping for classic country songs.

[quote name='seanr1221']How many songs are on the acdc pack?[/quote]

It has 18 songs.

I picked up the 2-symbol expansion yesterday. Over all pretty cool, but I wouldn't break the bank to get them. Maybe I'll feel different when I am more used to them, but right now they totally throw me off. They're pretty sturdy; I don't ever see them breaking, but with that said they are also quite loud. Also, don't expect to throw down any speedy roles (like in "Who are You?"), the symbols aren't responsive enough. This the only time they act up though, so don't let it deter you, it's more comfortable to let roles like that go to the pad anyway.

If you are looking to get some symbols and are holding out for the 3 pack, don't. Just get 2 symbols, you'll find it's really all the symbol action you need. If anything downgrade to the single symbol expansion and just use the crash (green) symbol.

I would give this product a 6/10 and if I did it all over again I probably would have bought Valkyria Chronicles for PS3 instead.

So I went out and bought the Mad Catz portable drum kit in order to complete my Rock Band instruments. It isn't perfect, but its quality is much better than I had expected. The drum sticks have a nice heft to them, and both the pads and the sticks are rubberized (the sticks on just the tips) to deaden the sound of you hammering away.

My only real caveat that I've noticed is that my coffee table is just a bit too low for them to be in that sweet spot of comfort. They also lie flat. I may figure out how to tilt and raise them in order to make them more comfortable, but they are certainly a decent set to pick up. I got them from Gamestop for the 39.99 deal they had going.

[quote name='Brainwave0']Sometimes they do...Sometimes they don't. Sounds like you need to use the license transfer on Xbox.com.

Did you move the hard drive to a new Xbox? If so, you will need to use the license transfer tool on Xbox.com.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I moved my stuff from my 20 gig drive to my 60 gig drive then used 60 gig drive on a new 360 with HDMI. Damn it now I have to do one more step just to fully enjoy the stuff I already paid for.

I'm not a country fan, and I usually try to take a dig a country music whenever I can but I might have bitten on some of the more popular songs if they would have released them. Something like Friends in Low Places or something like that.

Oh well, I suppose I'm not the person they are trying to please with this set of songs.

I'm thinking about getting a 120GB HDD (I only have 250MB of space left with RB2 installed) and I'm wondering am I going to run into a DRM issue? Maybe I'm not understand the previous posts but it would seem like the transfer tool that comes with the 120GB HDD would take care of that.

You only have to use the licence transfer if you're switching CONSOLES, it has nothing to do with the HDDs. So, yeah, if you're using the cable to switch HDDs and then slapping the new one on the same console, you'll be fine.

I just did it last week. By the by, with the installs now here, I seriously can't recommend the 120GB enough. One of the best things I've done in a while.

It really nice to install the HD, but isn't it weird how we've gone from never having and now we feel like we can't do without? Lousy Microsoft making me want to buy things I can't afford.

[quote name='Luftwaffles08']So I went out and bought the Mad Catz portable drum kit in order to complete my Rock Band instruments. It isn't perfect, but its quality is much better than I had expected. The drum sticks have a nice heft to them, and both the pads and the sticks are rubberized (the sticks on just the tips) to deaden the sound of you hammering away.

My only real caveat that I've noticed is that my coffee table is just a bit too low for them to be in that sweet spot of comfort. They also lie flat. I may figure out how to tilt and raise them in order to make them more comfortable, but they are certainly a decent set to pick up. I got them from Gamestop for the 39.99 deal they had going.[/QUOTE]

Cool. The placement thing is an issue I knew would pop up so no big deal there. How's the response? Does it seem to pick up every hit without much trouble? Any cross-talk or other issues with actually using them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back