RPG Thread VII is a Spoony Bard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I'm not sure. I thought it was the whole collection but some Googling makes me think it's just the first game, for now.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']PSP import games vary on release. Sometimes I can get one for as low as $50 (like Tales of Phantasia X), while some may be $70+. I'll wait for Third Birthday stateside release, but games which may never come stateside I'll import. The Yakuza spin-off on PSP, I'm still wondering if it will come stateside so I know whether to import it.[/QUOTE]
There's also the yen-to-dollar exchange rate, which has been absolutely horrible recently and does seem to affect Play-Asia's pricing. A few years ago, you would've been able to get a PSP game comparable to The 3rd Birthday (as in, retail price: 5,800 yen) for around US$50-55.

[quote name='depascal22']It wasn't an insult at all. Do you know anyone else that has played EVERY RPG for the PSP? Might as well get that job with Sony and get paid for all that hard work.[/QUOTE]I never played the 2nd Generation of Chaos on PSP, Spectral Souls, Blade Dancer, Dragoneer's Aria and tons others. There's plenty I never played on PSP.

[quote name='blueshinra']There's also the yen-to-dollar exchange rate, which has been absolutely horrible recently and does seem to affect Play-Asia's pricing. A few years ago, you would've been able to get a PSP game comparable to The 3rd Birthday (as in, retail price: 5,800 yen) for around US$50-55.[/QUOTE]I definitely noticed that when trying to import. Import games are costing me more now.

Also, Tales of Graces F has the worst LE ever IMO:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/10/0...ed-edition-is-made-for-a-letter-writing-king/

I use to have Arc The Lad Collection on PS1. I still have my ATL datasaves, so there's a chance I'll buy the first Arc The Lad along with Alundra next week on PSN for PS3/PSP.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Cladun: This is an RPG? is a fun game too on PSP (on PSN).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='willardhaven']So far I'm enjoying Four Heroes of Light though I believe I may be in the minority.[/QUOTE]
I want to get the game some day. I just didn't hurry up to buy it since I already bought too much this week, and I don't tend to play the DS much (my 5th platform to play in-line). It definitely seems appealing to me.

Started playing Atelier Rorona last night and continued to do so until after 4am. Needless to say I'm really enjoying it.
Does anyone know what carries over to new game + in it?

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Ah Breath of Fire III and Tales of Eternia. I'm still trying to find those for PSP (or a place to get them shipped cheap).[/QUOTE]

Like you, I'd rather avoid ebay. Breath of Fire III can be found for $25 shipped new on Amazon if you don't mind the new PSP-essentials style packaging.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...w?ie=UTF8&qid=1286665479&sr=8-4&condition=new

Tales of Eternia is a bit more difficult to find on the cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...olp_collectible?ie=UTF8&condition=collectible

While out shopping today, I got the Knights in the Nightmare demo from a DS Download Station. It's simply a bunch of gameplay tutorials, which seemed to be the right way to go, as the game mechanics are so different from anything else I've seen. Anyway, it was interesting; I would definitely like to pick up this game sometime.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Started playing Atelier Rorona last night and continued to do so until after 4am. Needless to say I'm really enjoying it.
Does anyone know what carries over to new game + in it?[/QUOTE]
And... I just finished it. To answer my own question, the only thing that carries over to new game + is your money (and entries in the encyclopedia, but that doesn't actually have any affect on the game).

[quote name='willardhaven']So far I'm enjoying Four Heroes of Light though I believe I may be in the minority.[/QUOTE]

I popped it in last night and was very pleasantly surprised. After all of the negative stuff I read about it I'd actually considered canceling my pre-order, but since it was paid off with credit which had expired I had to keep it.

It's not going to win any awards for depth, but so far it seems like a charming little RPG, I look forward to playing it more.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']And... I just finished it. To answer my own question, the only thing that carries over to new game + is your money (and entries in the encyclopedia, but that doesn't actually have any affect on the game).[/QUOTE]The game is quite addicting. I'm going to take my time finishing, but I'm almost done with assignment 4 if I remember correctly.

[quote name='blueshinra']While out shopping today, I got the Knights in the Nightmare demo from a DS Download Station. It's simply a bunch of gameplay tutorials, which seemed to be the right way to go, as the game mechanics are so different from anything else I've seen. Anyway, it was interesting; I would definitely like to pick up this game sometime.[/QUOTE]I'm just going to wait for the PSP version.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']The game is quite addicting. I'm going to take my time finishing, but I'm almost done with assignment 4 if I remember correctly.[/QUOTE]
I did take my time, up to assignment 10. 10 is so ridiculous (first time I finished an assignment without getting all 10 stars) that I got frustrated and did the last 2 without going into the field.

I started playing it a little bit before bed last night.

I searched the town, got the free shield and sword, 4 potions, and 2 phoenix down, walked outside and was killed by the first enemy I fought... a metal-slime-wannabee lookin' thing. I'm going to give the game another shot, but even Etrian Odyssey wasn't so hardcore that the first encounter will kill you.

[quote name='thelonepig']Like you, I'd rather avoid ebay. Breath of Fire III can be found for $25 shipped new on Amazon if you don't mind the new PSP-essentials style packaging.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...w?ie=UTF8&qid=1286665479&sr=8-4&condition=new

Tales of Eternia is a bit more difficult to find on the cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...olp_collectible?ie=UTF8&condition=collectible[/QUOTE]

You the man. Wow that ToE price is a kick in the sack.

Let me ask though is BoF3 worth getting if I still own the PS1 version? Is there any improvements etc? (I just assumed there was)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'm just going to wait for the PSP version.[/QUOTE]
Probably a wise idea. The DS version's out of print now *shakes fist at Atlus*

[quote name='blueshinra']Probably a wise idea. The DS version's out of print now *shakes fist at Atlus*[/QUOTE]

Plus you get a free downloadable version of Yggdrasil Union. :bouncy:

[quote name='Hell Monkey']

Let me ask though is BoF3 worth getting if I still own the PS1 version? Is there any improvements etc? (I just assumed there was)[/QUOTE]

You can play the fishing mini game anytime but thats it

Breath of Fire 3 is in my opinion the best one in the series - great music, fun characters, good story, and the dragon gene system is just fantastic.

I gave Final Fantasy 4 warriors of light another shot last night, and I didn't run into the metal enemy of doom.. Apparently, most enemies are one attack, one kill... who knew?

I got all four characters now, and the game is actually pretty fun. It *IS* a total nostalgia fest; the game not telling you explicitly what to do, and getting obscure suggestions from towns people really brings me back to the FF1. I'm not at all far into the game yet, but I think the crowns and method of skill allocation has some real potential.. I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

I'm going to look for that metal enemy and kick his ass the next time I play.. revenge will be mine.

[quote name='blueshinra']OMG, new Rune Factory rumored :whee: It seems that Marvelous likes to keep me from getting anything productive done.[/QUOTE]
That website looks horrible. I thought a new one was announced yesterday for both Wii and PS3. Is that the one you're talking about?

Sorry you don't like Andriasang :p And Rune Factory Oceans, yeah; the official announcement/unveiling seems to be more recent than this past Tuesday, though. ETA: first screenshots up today. Famitsu leak confirmed!

Last edited by a moderator:
So... I finished my first playthrough of ZHP: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman... had put off the very end, but got some free time to break through to the end. Pretty humorous. It was pretty fun, overall. So much to customize >

yo yo yo~!!! so I spent my day playing undoubtedly the best RPG I have played all year and feel absolutely compelled to recommend it to u guys!!!

it's a free RPG called Space Funeral.

I heard it recommended on some podcasts and decided to check it out... SO HAPPY that I did!!

game & download page: http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/rpg/space-funeral/3492/

articles (warning... may have spoilers!!);
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9056165
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/10/14/space-funeral/
http://www.gamingdaily.co.uk/2010/space-funeral/

the atmosphere of this game is hella weird, and the music is fantastic!! totally fits in with the game!

game is real short too, like about 2 hours. If u play for like half an hour a day you can beat it within the week. Since the game is so short I will not even describe it... just play it and experience it for yourself!!

it's definitely a one of a kind game that will be one of the freshest things you will play, especially given the fact that most jrpg style games all suck these days... except for this one.

I just got a PS3. Is it sad that the RPGs I'll probably buy first are FF VII, VIII, and IX from the PS store, since I never played them before?

I'd assume most people would jealous that you have 3 incredibly well made, cheaply priced, 40+ hour RPG experiences ahead of you to play for the very first time. Not sad at all ;)

Just understand that each game is hardly as perfect as they are made out to be, and you should be in for a good time. I have yet to play IX and personally couldn't finish VIII because of the melodramatic turn it took about 70% into the game.

[quote name='geigerm']I just got a PS3. Is it sad that the RPGs I'll probably buy first are FF VII, VIII, and IX from the PS store, since I never played them before?[/QUOTE]

Well no. VII and VIII are great games. IX is crap but still the first two are well worth playing.

I really want to get Alundra off the PSN, but I still have Grandia, Wild Arms 2 & FFVII none of which I've beaten yet. But for just $5.99 it's eating away at me.

JEKKI - Any chance we could see Space Funeral as a community game on XBL?

[quote name='panzerfaust']And here comes the hate speech from the fanboys[/QUOTE]

I could care less about what FF's people hate, it's the ones they like that spark debate with me.

[quote name='depascal22']Is it me or is the first Star Ocean pretty bleh...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's a little bland. Not bad enough to make me stop playing but the story and characters are forgettable. The pacing also seems off somehow. Team members join on a whim, no solid reason behind it. I was expecting more awkward moments similar to that of SO2 where the Earthlings and 2 other main characters have problems adjusting to the environment. There's a lot of missed potential in this game.

I kinda like SO1 better than 2. 1 seemed more serous to me, while two was pretty light hearted fun a little silly at times. Still think three is the best so far.

Any non rabid Kingdom Hearts fans here. Thinking about trying out Birth by Sleep, though I have only played the first game, will this be a problem?

[quote name='Rodimus']
I really want to get Alundra off the PSN, but I still have Grandia, Wild Arms 2 & FFVII none of which I've beaten yet. But for just $5.99 it's eating away at me.
[/quote]
Same here. I think I'm going to just snap and buy it the next time I'm on my PS3.

[quote name='LostRoad']

Any non rabid Kingdom Hearts fans here. Thinking about trying out Birth by Sleep, though I have only played the first game, will this be a problem?[/QUOTE]

Well you'll have some WTF moments, I am and I played KH1 and KH2. I swear to god that someone spent to much time watching Star Wars Episode III for parts in Birth by Sleep as well. Either way it is a fun game.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Same here. I think I'm going to just snap and buy it the next time I'm on my PS3.[/QUOTE]

I probably will too. I'll play it for 5 or 6 hours then start on something else. That seems to be my trend these days.

[quote name='Rodimus']I probably will too. I'll play it for 5 or 6 hours then start on something else. That seems to be my trend these days.[/QUOTE]

That is my handheld trend. I try to actually finish console stuff. I need to find a short game to play and finish in a couple days with Fable 3 coming out on next Tuesday.

[quote name='default_shepard']I'm actually enjoying FFV right now. I realized I've never played a job system I didn't like.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if a 3d remake of 5 is on Squeenix's to-do list.. it seems like they're hitting them in order, and that one would do well with a 3D remake, in my opinion.

Edit: beh.. i should have looked first: http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/2...o-about-final-fantasy-v-and-vi-on-ds-and-3ds/

If they do a full 3d remake of FF 5 and 6 on the 3ds, I might ahve to buy the expensive handheld. Blah.

[quote name='Rodimus']
I could care less about what FF's people hate, it's the ones they like that spark debate with me.[/QUOTE]

FFXIII is good :grouphug:

[quote name='ChibiJosh']So, am I the only one who may not be able to sleep tonight out of sheer excitement for Fallout New Vegas tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

Only because of circumstances. I'm getting Fable III next week so I know I won't play Fallout: New Vegas right away. So I figure I might as well wait to pick it up and maybe find a deal on it in a couple weeks or a month or so(when I polish off Fable III and Force Unleashed II). Otherwise yes, I'd be very excited.

[quote name='LostRoad']Any non rabid Kingdom Hearts fans here. Thinking about trying out Birth by Sleep, though I have only played the first game, will this be a problem?[/QUOTE]

The plot of KH went off the rails about halfway into KH2, so I'm not sure you'll be any worse off for having not played it.

[quote name='Magus8472']The plot of KH went off the rails about halfway into KH2, so I'm not sure you'll be any worse off for having not played it.[/QUOTE]

You're totally right, but I would go further and say the entirety of chain of memories was devoid of sense, and since CoM's story was crow-barred into KH2 so forcefully the entire game was kind of off from the beginning. Kingdom hearts games are a blast to play, but plot certainly isn't one of it's strong suits... which actually makes sense considering what it is.

I caved and got Alundra. I love these PSone RPGs since I can put them on my PSP for on the go, and play them at home on my PS3.

[quote name='Rodimus']I caved and got Alundra. I love these PSone RPGs since I can put them on my PSP for on the go, and play them at home on my PS3.[/QUOTE]

I wish there was a way to do this if we still own the discs. I don't want to have to buy things I already have just to move them to my PSP.

I didn't get on my PS3 yesterday, had to beat Enslaved. Next time I'm on though Alundra will be mine.

[quote name='BattleChicken']You're totally right, but I would go further and say the entirety of chain of memories was devoid of sense, and since CoM's story was crow-barred into KH2 so forcefully the entire game was kind of off from the beginning. Kingdom hearts games are a blast to play, but plot certainly isn't one of it's strong suits... which actually makes sense considering what it is.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, pretty much. The plot of BBS is even more borked, if you can believe it.

Very close to beating Legend of Heroes III. I think they could have cut alot of the filler out of this game. It could have been a lot shorter and still told a story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back