RPG Thread XIII-2: Tough Moms Always Die Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
i came out loving tri-ace after SO2 and VP1... but everything else they've put out has been mediocre, with VP2 and RoF being good but not great.

i thought VP2 was really fun but storyline wise i thought it was pretty bad.

[quote name='kainzero']i came out loving tri-ace after SO2 and VP1... but everything else they've put out has been mediocre, with VP2 and RoF being good but not great.

i thought VP2 was really fun but storyline wise i thought it was pretty bad.[/QUOTE]

I really liked Radiata Stories, SO2 was great until I tried replaying it on the PSP the other day.:lol:

do i ever get to talk to my party in DA2? like the campfire thing in the original? they seem like fun personalities but i'm only able to hear their occasional side chatter and it's already 8 hours in.

anyone catch that fenris is voiced by the same guy who does balthier?

[quote name='panzerfaust']do i ever get to talk to my party in DA2? like the campfire thing in the original? they seem like fun personalities but i'm only able to hear their occasional side chatter and it's already 8 hours in.

anyone catch that fenris is voiced by the same guy who does balthier?[/QUOTE]

Well if you take them, or go to where they live (if they aren't in your party), then you can sometimes talk to them about personal quest related stuff. But you can't really talk to them at any time as I recall.

Also, that might explain why I found Fenris' voice so damn sexy (not to say he didn't look cute too), Balthier was one of the few things I liked about FFXII because I thought he was cute and his voice was captivating. :hot:

Yeah, DA2 is sort of like ME2 in the party-conversation regard. The difference is instead of finding them on the Normandy, you go to their house (or location) to talk to them.

So I just finished Persona psp, and I was wondering about something to anyone who has finished both the Sebec and Snow queen paths.

Is the Snow Queen quest separate from the main story or are they happening at the same time. I mean the school does disappear during the sebec quest and none of the characters except for each quest do not necessarily cross over. It also seems like Reiji is the preferred character for sebec due to his connection with Kandori/Guido. So did they happen at the same time or were they meant to be totally separate?

^ My personal opinion, I always figured the kids going on to the Sebec part of the story after the Snow Queen is finished. It would be interesting if the game actually let you do that. Kinda like a perk for beating the grueling Snow Queen dungeon so you could blaze through the rest of the game.

Up to the brutes base now in DDS.It's gotten a little difficulty now,and am having trouble with this really annoying miniboss that keeps casting stone on my party.I hammered at the guy for like 10mins and he still didn't die.

Plotwise, Rouge Galaxy is the most clichéd cliché that ever clichéd.

Still enjoying it, though. Close to getting that Platinum License!

[quote name='blueshinra']Plotwise, Rouge Galaxy is the most clichéd cliché that ever clichéd.

Still enjoying it, though. Close to getting that Platinum License![/QUOTE]

bu bu bu but there's no trophies for ps2 games :cry:

What should I play?

Fable 2
Mass Effect
Resonance of Fate
Dragon Age Ultimate Edition
Last Remnant
Final Fantasy XIII

I tend to put my RPGs last when it comes to clearing backlog but it is my favorite genre. I've been doing some serious work on my backlog lately but I just haven't got sucked in like a RPG usually does it for me.

So close to finally beating Dark Souls. After that I really have no RPG fix until Tales of Graces F. Might have to look into some games on PSN.

[quote name='cindersphere']Thought I would drop this here, apparently the Tales of Rebirth translation path is being worked on again for the psp/ps2.

http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=90248

(unsure if fan translation news is acceptable here)[/QUOTE]

Yes yes yes yes yes! Probably the Tales I most look wanted to play but couldn't. Sooo hoping this comes sooner rather than later.

[quote name='JEKKI']holy crap...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Ab1PS1qiI

I need to get this album got dang!!![/QUOTE]

That. That was just fantastic.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']What should I play?

Fable 2
Mass Effect
Resonance of Fate
Last Remnant
Final Fantasy XIII

I tend to put my RPGs last when it comes to clearing backlog but it is my favorite genre. I've been doing some serious work on my backlog lately but I just haven't got sucked in like a RPG usually does it for me.[/QUOTE]

Toss up between Mass Effect and DA:UE. Easily the best on that list imho (though I'm also one of the few people here that would advocate The Last Remnant).

Fable 2
Mass Effect
Resonance of Fate
Last Remnant
Final Fantasy XIII

I tend to put my RPGs last when it comes to clearing backlog but it is my favorite genre. I've been doing some serious work on my backlog lately but I just haven't got sucked in like a RPG usually does it for me.[/QUOTE]

FFXIII or Mass Effect but I'm biased. Do not touch RoF though. Ever.

Fable 2
Mass Effect
Resonance of Fate
Last Remnant
Final Fantasy XIII

Mass Effect (and then go straight to 2!)

Fable 2
Mass Effect
Resonance of Fate
Last Remnant
Final Fantasy XIII

Fable 2, if you don't get sucked in and start spending hours killing everything and buying everything then it's a pretty short game. Mass Effect 1 is also also a really good choice.

I was sort of intending to do Fable 2 then Mass Effect 1 considering they're a bit shorter compared to the rest of the games on that list. At the same time though I really love my JRPGs. I've read nothing but bad things about FF XIII but I'm usually pretty open minded when it comes to games and I can't see it being THAT bad.

Also, is Resonance of Fate bad or what? That one I've actually read pretty positive things about. I'll admit though, the whole gun and aerial based combat seems like it'd be hard to adjust to. Same thing goes for Last Remnant. My brother played it for a few hours but he didn't like it because of the battle system. He's not as into the genre like I am but the battle system for that looked pretty complex as well.

Topple on the fact that I am a completionist, and some of these games easily go into the 100+ hour mark. I'm fine with that considering I have quite a bit of time on my hands but it's been a while since I've played a game for that long. Last one was probably Infinite Undiscovery. Compulsive was a bitch. Tales of Vesperia was also quite long to complete but I got them done.

Ahhhh decisions, decisions!

[quote name='bigpimpin24'] I've read nothing but bad things about FF XIII but I'm usually pretty open minded when it comes to games and I can't see it being THAT bad.[/quote]

Also, is Resonance of Fate bad or what? That one I've actually read pretty positive things about.

FFXIII is shovelware and RoF is passable? :rofl:

this is why you never ask the internet for opinions on JRPGs, or at least FF based ones.

Last Remnant has a lot of graphical glitches and texture popping issues that really pulls you out of the game. The battle system while unique often becomes a bit repetitive in random encounters and makes for long battles. Otherwise the graphics are nice and the story is entertaining enough.

FF13 isn't really so much bad as it is extremely repetitive to the point where people get bored. It's basically accept a mission, run down a pretty hallway, fight a boss and repeat. Towns, messing around and side quests that typically make Final Fantasy tolerable are all missing or unavailable until rather late in the game.

Maybe start with FF13, play until your JRPG addiction is satisfied and move on?

[quote name='panzerfaust']you make it sound like all FFs are terrible with that description :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

What? I really like towns world maps and sidequests.:lol:

Probably why I liked FF8 so much.:whistle2:k

I'm the kind of person who puts 200+ hours into Oblivion but never bothered to finish the mainquest line.;)

[quote name='panzerfaust']FFXIII is shovelware and RoF is passable? :rofl:

this is why you never ask the internet for opinions on JRPGs, or at least FF based ones.[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah, I'm only going off of what I read. You're right though, when it comes to RPGs things are almost always completely one sided. People either love it or hate it. I've played my fair share of JRPGs this gen and genuinely enjoyed all of them.

I'm really not hard to please and will typically enjoy a majority of games unless they are just downright horrible. The only time I can think of being let down was with Lost Odyssey. This was entirely my fault though because of the amount of reading I did online about it instead of immediately playing it.

The game was definitely good but people were putting it up for best RPG of this gen. For me the best so far has been Tales of Vesperia. I also enjoyed Magna Carta 2 and Infinite Undiscovery while a lot of people did not.

At the end of the day though, I don't consider myself a guru or anything of the genre. I take everything with open arms and for what they're worth. I tend to find people throwing around a lot of negativity when a game comes out and tries to stray away from the core elements of the genre. That's just me though.

You could say that with most genres though.Most people don't like change at all in games and just want it to stay the same.I for one embrace changes,as long as its for the better of the genre.

My local GameStop has Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 in stock. I'm tempted, since I have a 20% off coupon from my birthday, but the fact that I have a huge backlog of RPGs that I'm probably not going to get through any time soon makes me somewhat hesitant. Worth it?

[quote name='TheLongshot']My local GameStop has Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 in stock. I'm tempted, since I have a 20% off coupon from my birthday, but the fact that I have a huge backlog of RPGs that I'm probably not going to get through any time soon makes me somewhat hesitant. Worth it?[/QUOTE]

Price wise with a 20% off coupon even if you purchase them, never play them and then resell them in a couple years you probably won't be loosing much money, might even make a few bucks. On the other hand the backlog grows..

I know how that goes, just picked up a PSP a little while back and have already created a dozen plus game backlog...

Also innovation is great in games, I just find often it doesn't feel quite so innovative 20 hours into a game and quite frequently you still have the whole level grinding aspect. If I'm going to level grind for hours I'd much rather just hit X repeatedly.:lol:

[quote name='bigpimpin24']Haha yeah, I'm only going off of what I read. You're right though, when it comes to RPGs things are almost always completely one sided. People either love it or hate it. I've played my fair share of JRPGs this gen and genuinely enjoyed all of them.

I'm really not hard to please and will typically enjoy a majority of games unless they are just downright horrible. The only time I can think of being let down was with Lost Odyssey. This was entirely my fault though because of the amount of reading I did online about it instead of immediately playing it.

The game was definitely good but people were putting it up for best RPG of this gen. For me the best so far has been Tales of Vesperia. I also enjoyed Magna Carta 2 and Infinite Undiscovery while a lot of people did not.

At the end of the day though, I don't consider myself a guru or anything of the genre. I take everything with open arms and for what they're worth. I tend to find people throwing around a lot of negativity when a game comes out and tries to stray away from the core elements of the genre. That's just me though.[/QUOTE]

Well to be objective as possible:

Resonance of Fate has a really cool concept going for it, a lot of people including myself kinda fell for the whole steampunk setting and the sweet looking gunplay system, but it's really not enough to carry you through the game. If you want a real definition of dry repetition, RoF has it for you. The world is empty, lacking detail, the enemies are generic, everything is rather lifeless. You only know the characters through an occasional cutscene which are mostly short comedy skits, and sidequests are literally things like -- "go find my lost doll."

Now here's where people get confused. The combat system is good. However, it is paced terribly. Dungeons are some of the most mind numbing I've ever seen and you'll spend most of your time in them. When you take this into account, and all the other aspects, you have a bunch of people giving a thumbs up to a very mediocre game, simply because it has a functioning battle system -- lovely standards this gen, really :whistle2:k

If you want to grind, perhaps you'll pull through, but there are much more rewarding grind-games out there though that people here could recommend. Try it out and have fun with the battles for a bit, but I guarantee you will not finish Resonance of Fate.

--

FFXIII, well, here goes:

It's linear, so linear, everyone just learned that word and wants to use it, okay. If you like being on the path of a story from start to finish with fairly fast paced combat, you may enjoy it. Keep in mind though, it is very melodramatic, so if you did not enjoy the dialogue of previous FF games, this will be no different. Story lacks much information before it cleanly wraps up at the end, so another warning if you don't like being in the dark. Oh and there's not much a of a villain in the game. Instead it's character centric -- the cast isn't terribly deep but most do a good a job of creating some dramatic development. A couple characters dive into melodrama a bit too deeply and that may annoy you, but other than that it's a pretty well constructed tale -- the last 10 hours of the game are quite the experience.

Combat is more reaction based instead of picking through menus. You basically hit auto-battle and your character will auto string attacks together which is important because you need to focus on when to switch your party makeup (the system is about shifting party roles in the midst of battle, not selecting actions). Running along and killing stuff is paced very well save for a few instance in the earlier half of the game where it can get a bit repetitive, since the system is still heating up. The leveling aspect is kinda un-interesting, it's like FFX's sphere grid except you can't do much with it. Bosses are more intense than most of the FF games IMO, and end-game content makes for a fun and challenging use of a fully maxed out party.

Music is great, everything looks gorgeous. You're on a linear path but you really do see a lot of beautiful locales. The visuals and music do so much for this game, no denying it, it's a pretty beautiful ride if you're digging the combat and story.

So yeah that's my 2 cents.

[quote name='zionoverfire']What? I really like towns world maps and sidequests.:lol:

Probably why I liked FF8 so much.:whistle2:k

I'm the kind of person who puts 200+ hours into Oblivion but never bothered to finish the mainquest line.;)[/QUOTE]

FF12's hunts are my personal favorite.

[quote name='panzerfaust']FF12's hunts are my personal favorite.[/QUOTE]

Yeah those were pretty fun, nothing like stalking a T-Rex or Giant Tortuous.

Down to the final floor B20F on Etrian Odyssey 3. Have definately needed gamefaqs and even printing out directions for these final two floors though.

Am finally able to take out the FOEs (except the mortal hunters. yet) on this stratum but am still probably un prepared for the boss.

I think by the end of next week I'll finally be done with this game one way or the other.

After that maybe Heroes of Might & Magic, Nostalgia or my copy of FF IV if I can find it.

Nice! Thanks for the insight. I have been looking at some videos for FF13 and the battles definitely look very fast paced. I don't really mind the whole "linear" thing at all. In fact, some times I prefer it. Some games take the side quests a bit overboard and by the time I get back to the main story I end up forgetting what was going on. It definitely looks good and I'm sure I'd have a good time with it.

Also reading up on Resonance of Fate, there are reports about the story not really picking up until Chapter 9 or so? The story and characters are what keep me going in a game. I don't mind the grinding so much but there has to be something there for me to keep going.

Overall, panzerfaust, I think you have pushed me to go with FF13. I am mostly dying to play another JRPG right now and I think I'll find more pleasure in that than Mass Effect or Fable 2 at the moment. Not to take anything away from those games, since I've heard great things about them as well.

Just got some cleaning up to do in L.A. Noire and then I'll be on my way! Thanks again!

[quote name='bigpimpin24']Nice! Thanks for the insight. I have been looking at some videos for FF13 and the battles definitely look very fast paced. I don't really mind the whole "linear" thing at all. In fact, some times I prefer it. Some games take the side quests a bit overboard and by the time I get back to the main story I end up forgetting what was going on. It definitely looks good and I'm sure I'd have a good time with it.

Also reading up on Resonance of Fate, there are reports about the story not really picking up until Chapter 9 or so? The story and characters are what keep me going in a game. I don't mind the grinding so much but there has to be something there for me to keep going.

Overall, panzerfaust, I think you have pushed me to go with FF13. I am mostly dying to play another JRPG right now and I think I'll find more pleasure in that than Mass Effect or Fable 2 at the moment. Not to take anything away from those games, since I've heard great things about them as well.

Just got some cleaning up to do in L.A. Noire and then I'll be on my way! Thanks again![/QUOTE]

If you want a story in a RPG,than stay away RoF.The story is just there,but it didn't seriously which I liked about.Now the battlesystem in FFXIII is great,just don't be surprised if need to take a break after a few hours of it.

[quote name='themaster20000']Can't be as cliched as Atelier Iris 2.That game had every cliche in the book,except the amnesia plot device which was surprising[/QUOTE]
I haven't run into any amnesiacs in Rogue Galaxy, but there is a bit of the obligatory self-discovery. Still, I'm going through the game mentally checking off entries I've seen on the Grand List of Console RPG Clichés.

Haven't played Atelier Iris 2. I tried its predecessor once and was bored by it; never played much more than an hour or two.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Yeah those were pretty fun, nothing like stalking a T-Rex or Giant Tortuous.[/QUOTE]
(And speaking of RPGs I gave up on...) The hunts should've been the whole main game, TBH.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Price wise with a 20% off coupon even if you purchase them, never play them and then resell them in a couple years you probably won't be loosing much money, might even make a few bucks. On the other hand the backlog grows..[/QUOTE]

That is certainly a line of thought, even tho DDS does still seem to be available new. It is part of the reason why I'm collecting old RPGs because I might still get some value for them even if they don't get played. What I need is more time.

[quote name='panzerfaust']It's linear, so linear, everyone just learned that word and wants to use it, okay.[/QUOTE]

I find it funny people complain about that when X was linear as hell, yet fans hold it up as a very good FF game. Yet, XII, which is less linear, gets a lot of grief. (Yes, I know why it gets grief with people saying the characters are too generic, but I like the combat system.)

It gets grief because it's a new FF, let's be real. But the hatred came in strong with XII and XIII mostly because they are the biggest departures from the traditional style. Thus we get arguments like "Oh FF12 plays itself" and "yeah XIII is a hallway."

Both games have some issues, certainly, but I don't see the quality drop off that has made recent FF games shovelware in comparison to games like RoF that gaming boards couldn't be happier to praise.

[quote name='TheLongshot']That is certainly a line of thought, even tho DDS does still seem to be available new. It is part of the reason why I'm collecting old RPGs because I might still get some value for them even if they don't get played. What I need is more time.

I find it funny people complain about that when X was linear as hell, yet fans hold it up as a very good FF game. Yet, XII, which is less linear, gets a lot of grief. (Yes, I know why it gets grief with people saying the characters are too generic, but I like the combat system.)[/QUOTE]

Well it's available new because they did at least one extra printing and knowing Atlus another printing run or a port is always a possibility. If you're planning on playing games like DDS you need more than just a little extra time.:lol:

Also FFX had towns and Blitzball.:D

I haven't run into any amnesiacs in Rogue Galaxy, but there is a bit of the obligatory self-discovery. Still, I'm going through the game mentally checking off entries I've seen on the Grand List of Console RPG Clichés.

Haven't played Atelier Iris 2. I tried its predecessor once and was bored by it; never played much more than an hour or two.

I only played the second game and it was a above average RPG.The characters were likeable,and the game had humor to it.Biggest problems was the game consisted of fetch quests,and one of the most cliched stories I've seen in a RPG.

I find it funny people complain about that when X was linear as hell, yet fans hold it up as a very good FF game. Yet, XII, which is less linear, gets a lot of grief. (Yes, I know why it gets grief with people saying the characters are too generic, but I like the combat system.)

The thing is FFX is a much older game.If XIII came out back then, no one would bash it for how linear it is.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Well it's available new because they did at least one extra printing and knowing Atlus another printing run or a port is always a possibility. If you're planning on playing games like DDS you need more than just a little extra time.:lol:[/quote]

Don't I know it. I have 100 hours in Persona 3 and I'm still not done. I just need to sit down and finish it.

Also FFX had towns and Blitzball.:D

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I thought Blitzball sucked. I tried playing it, but I never could get anywhere with it.

I think my problem with FFXIII had more to do with the lack of any variety. Sure people complain about the linearity, but I think the real problem for a lot of people was that there was nothing to break up the tedium of battle after battle. In a 40+ hour game, I need something like towns (or a sufficient substitute) to give me a breather from all the straight battling once in a while.

[quote name='themaster20000']
The thing is FFX is a much older game.If XIII came out back then, no one would bash it for how linear it is.[/QUOTE]
linearity is not a sign of age, it's style of game design. almost all of our popular RPG franchises are incredibly smaller scaled and streamlined compared to games 10 years ago.

[quote name='ihadFG']I think my problem with FFXIII had more to do with the lack of any variety. Sure people complain about the linearity, but I think the real problem for a lot of people was that there was nothing to break up the tedium of battle after battle. In a 40+ hour game, I need something like towns (or a sufficient substitute) to give me a breather from all the straight battling once in a while.[/QUOTE]

Well you didn't like the characters, which were the "breather.":lol:

[quote name='panzerfaust']
Well you didn't like the characters, which were the "breather.":lol:[/QUOTE]

You make a very good point. :lol:

[quote name='ihadFG']I think my problem with FFXIII had more to do with the lack of any variety. Sure people complain about the linearity, but I think the real problem for a lot of people was that there was nothing to break up the tedium of battle after battle. In a 40+ hour game, I need something like towns (or a sufficient substitute) to give me a breather from all the straight battling once in a while.[/QUOTE]

That's basically it for me.The battle system is great,but its basically fight for a bit and then watch a cutscene.It would've helped if the characters were more interesting and didn't spout out shitty dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back