RPG Thread XIII-2: Tough Moms Always Die Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='panzerfaust']i was a fan of the fang/vanille thing

they were lesbians, ya?
[/QUOTE]

I wish there was a game that had an interesting male homosexual romance. The few (and I mean few) examples that come to mind where it was even somewhat been tried it seemed to mostly be put in as a joke, and I can't think of a game where it involves the main character (outside of Dragon Age in which the romances really feel like asides and not the focus).

I'd love to see a game with a normal homosexual main character, I think game companies are too afraid that they would scare a lot of people away if they tried something like that though. Well, I'm sure Japan probably has some of these which might fall under the dating sim category but might also be RPGs, but those are probably never going to be localized (and those types of games usually don't have what I would exactly call normal characters or relationships when it involves homosexual relationships, since it's more about appeasing a heterosexual female sense of what gay men are like rather than portraying them in their regular every day lives). Basically I want a game where a male main character acts like an average human being (perhaps a bit more effeminate than a typical guy), but is attracted to other men.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Indignate']
On a serious note, I enjoyed Welkin and Alica.[/QUOTE]

20 year olds flirting like 5th graders? I have a lot of shitty anime I can point you to.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Also, I think you guys have convinced me to try Prince of Persia.[/QUOTE]

Just remember to always listen to the conversations between Elika and The Prince when prompted to. It adds so much flavor to the game it's unbelievable. The romance element aside, it's also one of the best-looking games this gen and, well, there's really nothing else like it.

Careful everything else about the game is pretty meh, especially the combat. Platforming is on cruise control but it's very relaxing and probably the highlight of the game.

Yeah, the combat is indeed pretty bad, but fortunately the game is light on it apart from the boss battles. PoP 08 has its fair share of drawbacks (I was always annoyed that the four elemental plate thingies did just about the same thing, and light seed collecting artificially lengthened the game), but it's still much better than the people who rag on it just because of the No Deaths mechanic say it is.

I'm also a fanboy of the whole Prince of Persia series anyway, I'm kind of biased, hah.

got my fem hawke mage all ready to go, kind of hyped to get into DA2, always nice to be able to jump into a big name title some months after release for only $8 ;)

All this PoP 08 talk is making me want to replay it. Maybe I'll finally get the platinum, although I never actually played the Epilogue. Is that worth it?

[quote name='Cheska19']All this PoP 08 talk is making me want to replay it. Maybe I'll finally get the platinum, although I never actually played the Epilogue. Is that worth it?[/QUOTE]

I haven't played the epilogue, but it undoes what was otherwise a perfect ending to the game, so from a narrative standpoint it's not worth it. Otherwise, I think it's like 2-3 extra hours of gameplay for $10.

PoP 08 is an easy platinum, I think you could get it without any trouble on a second playthrough. The Be Gentle With Her trophy is bugged to pop no matter what so you don't even have to play carefully, and other than that all you need to go out of your way to do is collect the light seeds and perform all of the combos.

[quote name='fwbweux']I haven't played the epilogue, but it undoes what was otherwise a perfect ending to the game, so from a narrative standpoint it's not worth it. Otherwise, I think it's like 2-3 extra hours of gameplay for $10.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean it undoes the ending? I felt like it was a direct continuation of the ending of PoP 2008, and it was nice to see what happened after the prince made his choice.
At the end of the main game the prince brings Elika back to life, which wasn't her intention because Ahriman was originally freed by her father in order to bring her back to life once and her death would have sealed Ahriman. After she dies at the end of the main game the prince chooses to bring her back to life again and that re-releases Ahriman. The epilogue continues right after that with Ahriman freed and Elika pissed as hell at the prince for bringing her back to life again and putting the world in peril (but again the prince brings her back to life and frees Ahriman at the end of PoP 2008 not in the Epilogue).

[quote name='icebeast']What do you mean it undoes the ending? I felt like it was a direct continuation of the ending of PoP 2008, and it was nice to see what happened after the prince made his choice.
At the end of the main game the prince brings Elika back to life, which wasn't her intention because Ahriman was originally freed by her father in order to bring her back to life once and her death would have sealed Ahriman. After she dies at the end of the main game the prince chooses to bring her back to life again and that re-releases Ahriman. The epilogue continues right after that with Ahriman freed and Elika pissed as hell at the prince for bringing her back to life again and putting the world in peril (but again the prince brings her back to life and frees Ahriman at the end of PoP 2008 not in the Epilogue).
[/QUOTE]

I realize that it continues after the ending, however I didn't mean that the epilogue literally undoes the ending but, rather, makes it not the "true" ending. I thought that PoP 08 ended on a perfect note. They made an extremely bold narrative choice for a video game after the final battle, and PoP Epilogue backpedaled on that by whipping up an end where the prince (presumably) is able to seal Ahriman again after reviving Elika and there are no lasting repercussions for the selfish actions he takes at the end of the game. I don't begrudge anyone who prefers a scenario where everyone lives happily ever after, of course; the in-game ending is just my preference.

[quote name='fwbweux']
I realize that it continues after the ending, however I didn't mean that the epilogue literally undoes the ending but, rather, makes it not the "true" ending. I thought that PoP 08 ended on a perfect note. They made an extremely bold narrative choice for a video game after the final battle, and PoP Epilogue backpedaled on that by whipping up an end where the prince (presumably) is able to seal Ahriman again after reviving Elika and there are no lasting repercussions for the selfish actions he takes at the end of the game. I don't begrudge anyone who prefers a scenario where everyone lives happily ever after, of course; the in-game ending is just my preference.
[/QUOTE]

PoP 2008 Epilogue spoilers:

Nobody lives happily ever after at the end of the epilogue, basically Elika is pissed at the prince, helps him to escape Ahriman temporarily and then ditches him to try and solve the problems her own way because she is disgusted with the prince for what he did. A basic overview of the state of things at the end of the Epilogue: the world is still screwed and Elika and the prince are separated because she can't accept what he did. It leaves you wondering what happens next, just like the original ending, but now you get to see how strongly Elika feels about the prince's choice to make the same mistake her father did.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that loved PoP2008.

[quote name='fwbweux']it's also the best-looking game this gen[/QUOTE]

FTFY

[quote name='fwbweux']
[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I didn't really think the epilogue changed anything with Ahriman. I thought it was just about the Prince and Elika escaping temporarily, while setting up for a sequel. With that said, I agree that the actual ending was the perfect ending, and I don't really view the epilogue as the "real" ending. I just see it as an "in between" chapter.

[quote name='panzerfaust']20 year olds flirting like 5th graders? I have a lot of shitty anime I can point you to.[/QUOTE]
i think you'll have a much more difficult time finding anime that doesn't feature this.

anime.
freakin' anime.

Dragon Age II kicks the shit out of the original, wow -- at least so far as 3 hours in. Characters are much more enjoyable, dialogue is accompanied by actual animations, and combat is better paced. Currently playing on low settings since I'm at school, but towns and environments still look much better compared to the first.

[quote name='icebeast']PoP 2008 Epilogue spoilers:

Nobody lives happily ever after at the end of the epilogue, basically Elika is pissed at the prince, helps him to escape Ahriman temporarily and then ditches him to try and solve the problems her own way because she is disgusted with the prince for what he did. A basic overview of the state of things at the end of the Epilogue: the world is still screwed and Elika and the prince are separated because she can't accept what he did. It leaves you wondering what happens next, just like the original ending, but now you get to see how strongly Elika feels about the prince's choice to make the same mistake her father did.
[/QUOTE]

Okay, I feel much better about this. I was always kind of under the impression that the Epilogue came out because of fan complaints (or, from a more cynical tinfoil hat perspective, Ubi intentionally created the ending the way they did because fans desperate for a "better" ending would throw down cash to get it), so if it doesn't totally wash away the implications of the original ending, that's good.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Dragon Age II kicks the shit out of the original, wow -- at least so far as 3 hours in. Characters are much more enjoyable, dialogue is accompanied by actual animations, and combat is better paced. Currently playing on low settings since I'm at school, but towns and environments still look much better compared to the first.[/QUOTE]
Plus One. It's nice that somebody else likes this game. :lol:

I've temporarily stopped playing Persona 2 for weird reasons. Let just say it involves paranoia and my therapist. I'll get back to it eventually.

[quote name='elessar123']Shana is like what, way older, and still flirts like she's in middle school.

Then again, she's also a tsundere loli.[/QUOTE]
iirc she invented tsundere loli

i think that was also when i stopped watching anime

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Plus One. It's nice that somebody else likes this game. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Make that plus 2. I also enjoyed DA2 a lot. Especially the 2 DLCs.

[quote name='kainzero']iirc she invented tsundere loli

i think that was also when i stopped watching anime[/QUOTE]

Suiseiseki...

Desu Desu Desu!

Suiseiseki__desu.jpg

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Make that plus 2. I also enjoyed DA2 a lot. Especially the 2 DLCs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I loved the game. I haven't played the DLCs yet though. I plan to just wait and play them all at the same time.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yeah, I loved the game. I haven't played the DLCs yet though. I plan to just wait and play them all at the same time.[/QUOTE]

I also really enjoyed DA2 too, I played the Legacy DLC and thought it was alright (not sure about having it so integrated into the story since it wouldn't really work to play it after you've beaten the game).

[quote name='icebeast']I also really enjoyed DA2 too, I played the Legacy DLC and thought it was alright (not sure about having it so integrated into the story since it wouldn't really work to play it after you've beaten the game).[/QUOTE]
The DLC are supposed to be flashbacks to adventures Hawke had during the time of the game.

[quote name='ihadFG']FTFY[/QUOTE]

Read my post again. I said it was one of the best-looking games this gen, not the best.

EDIT: wait, you mean "fixed that for you", not "fuck this fuck you", don't you :lol:

[quote name='kainzero'] iirc she invented tsundere loli

i think that was also when i stopped watching anime[/quote]

I can't watch anything with tsundere characters. They all need to die.

[quote name='fwbweux']Read my post again. I said it was one of the best-looking games this gen, not the best.

EDIT: wait, you mean "fixed that for you", not "fuck this fuck you", don't you :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I meant fixed that for you. :lol:

Wow there is an rpg thread. Question for those who have played the Tales of Series. Where is a good place to start in the series? I have all the ps2/psp games that were released in the us and europe.

[quote name='cindersphere']Wow there is an rpg thread. Question for those who have played the Tales of Series. Where is a good place to start in the series? I have all the ps2/psp games that were released in the us and europe.[/QUOTE]

PSP I'd suggest Eternia since it's my favorite, PS2 I'd suggest Abyss.

Also if you want to start at the beginning Tales of Phantasia can be found affordable for the gba.

[quote name='cindersphere']Wow there is an rpg thread. Question for those who have played the Tales of Series. Where is a good place to start in the series? I have all the ps2/psp games that were released in the us and europe.[/QUOTE]

I'd say you should get Vesperia, and then be done with the series. So many of the Tales games were mediocre or just plain bad.

On PSP and PS2... uh... well, domestically on the PS2, the best game is Abyss, though I personally couldn't stand it. Unlikable characters and some of the blandest environments I've ever seen in a game.

On PSP, the best game is Tales of Eternia... which is a fun game, to be sure, but pretty generic. I did enjoy Eternia, particularly when the game opened up a bit later on, but it's so incredibly forgettable.

If you have a gamecube I'd say start with Symphonia. If you jump into Abyss or Vesperia first, playing other Tales games after that might feel like a step backwards in the battle department.

[quote name='ihadFG']If you have a gamecube I'd say start with Symphonia. If you jump into Abyss or Vesperia first, playing other Tales games after that might feel like a step backwards in the battle department.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think Symphonia is a step backwards so much as simply different. The bigger issue with going back to Symphonia to me is that the characters are so damn lame. That said, I really loved the game back when I played it. I'm just jaded now, because I'm a grown-up.

[quote name='Chacrana']I really don't think Symphonia is a step backwards so much as simply different. The bigger issue with going back to Symphonia to me is that the characters are so damn lame. That said, I really loved the game back when I played it. I'm just jaded now, because I'm a grown-up.[/QUOTE]

I agree that it's just different (I actually prefer Symphonia's battle system), but a lot of people seem to think it's a step back, so I figured it's a fair warning to give. As for the characters, some of them are definitely lame, but there are some that I really like as well that make it worthwhile IMO, especially if someone is planning to try to get into the series, since all of them are somewhat childish overall.

I don't understand how anyone thinks Abyss is anywhere near as good as Symphonia. Symphonia has excellent puzzly dungeons, is well paced, and, while cliched, actually manages to surprise you with a plot twist once in a while. Abyss's dungeons give you nothing to do except run around, bad load times, and long stretches of story where you just fly to a town, have a long conversation, and then fly elsewhere to talk to someone else.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'd say you should get Vesperia, and then be done with the series. So many of the Tales games were mediocre or just plain bad.

On PSP and PS2... uh... well, domestically on the PS2, the best game is Abyss, though I personally couldn't stand it. Unlikable characters and some of the blandest environments I've ever seen in a game.

On PSP, the best game is Tales of Eternia... which is a fun game, to be sure, but pretty generic. I did enjoy Eternia, particularly when the game opened up a bit later on, but it's so incredibly forgettable.[/QUOTE]

I have Vesperia! But my house was broken into earlier this year and sadly no longer have a 360. So no go there since they did not release it for the ps3 in the US.

[quote name='ihadFG']If you have a gamecube I'd say start with Symphonia. If you jump into Abyss or Vesperia first, playing other Tales games after that might feel like a step backwards in the battle department.[/QUOTE]

My sister in law is borrowing my Wii, but I do have the game as well just never played it, like vesperia.

Looks like I am going to start with Abyss then when I finish up Persona this weekend. Was Legendia that bad or was it just forgettable?

More forgettable than bad. I heard it gets much better late in the game, but I never played that much of it.

But what I did play... yeah, I remember literally nothing about it, other than that there was like... a ship and I think I had white hair.

[quote name='Chacrana']I really don't think Symphonia is a step backwards so much as simply different. The bigger issue with going back to Symphonia to me is that the characters are so damn lame. That said, I really loved the game back when I played it. I'm just jaded now, because I'm a grown-up.[/QUOTE]
except for ToV's Yuri i think all the characters in tales are extremely cliched, however, it's not as if the game is claiming it's different, so it plays off itself as such. if you approach the game as wanting realistic, human characters with multiple layers of feelings and emotions and crap like that then you'll be disappointed. if you approach it as a combination of cliches, then it works wonderfully.

from that perspective, symphonia was very well done and plays like a very clean game.

[quote name='matrix9280']Get thee hence oblivion awaits thee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

"My soul burns! My power has awakened! Finishing Strike! DREADED DRAGON!"

"I invoke the power of the glacial blade! Finishing Strike! ICICLE DISASTER!"

"I grow tired of you! Finishing Strike! FINAL BLAST!"

"No mercy for the damned! Thus thou has no escape from the grasp of catastrophe! METEOR SWARM!"

"NO MERCY!"

Sigh, again even though I'm not the hugest fan of Valkyrie Profile that game has some great (sometimes because it's so bad it's good sometimes because it's actually good) dialog.

This was probably my favorite song from the game (I liked flying around):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5wFngPBGpA

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rodimus']ICICLE DISASTER!!! Some great voice work here.

[/QUOTE]

I love his sword waggling too (kind of reminds me of Keith doing his special attacks in Shadow Hearts). Grey is such a hero (unfortunately Icicle Disaster isn't all that good).

Me and some of my friends actually started using the term Icicle Disaster to describe a situation which was totally awful in honor of him (Valkyrie Profile is actually one of my friends favorite games of all time).

[quote name='Rodimus']ICICLE DISASTER!!! Some great voice work here.[/QUOTE]
pokemon VAs always do great voice work!

lol @ VP's VAs. They truly are terrible.

The funny thing is I bought and played through part of Star Ocean 1-3 and Infinite Undiscovery, thinking "I love Tri-Ace! These will be great!"

Turns out I just love Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2. The rest of their stuff is average at best for me :(

(but seriously, VP1 and 2 are just sooooo good)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back