RPG Thread XIII-2: Tough Moms Always Die Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the boss I'm talking about:

3-dds003.jpg

I hate it more than anything I've ever hated prior! It's been five and a half years since I put that son of a bitch to rest, and I still hate him. That's hate!

Btw, I'm not sure if I'm alone on this, but I thought that DDS 2 was way better than the first game. Like, in basically every single way... particularly the environments.

It just completes the story and answers a lot of question the first one set up, so in that sense yeah, it's a better story. The first one was awesome but it leaves you hanging. I always thought of them to be a single game realeased in 2 parts, so I consider them both part of the same story anyways.

[quote name='Rodimus']Did you have Heat or Roland on your team?[/QUOTE]

I had Heat, though I wish I had Roland. Heat's just kind of a dick.

But yeah, I really loved the locales in DDS2, and the soundtrack was fantastic... especially the battle themes. I seem to recall the level up system (as far as how you choose which abilities to learn) was better, too.

[quote name='Draekon']You craft an ingot or piece of cloth and trade it + cole for a weapon or piece of armor it makes. In most cases beyond the ingot/cloth or two, you'll need to jump multiple ones before you're able to make a new one piece of equipment. Usually it's 2 ingots or cloth per tier if I remember correctly. I think the higher ones in the tier give a little bit of a boost, but generally aren't worth it as the traits you craft into it will matter the most. I could probably reload my pre-clear save and craft some stuff and tell you what goes to what if you care enough. Although I don't have the items to craft the best equipment.

You also will more than likely not be able to craft the best stuff in the first playthrough unless you're using a guide or wiki. On NG+ it transfers over Cole + Equipped items (Weapon/Armor/Accessory) on all characters. Plus it gives you the option to skip to the point where you get your license.[/QUOTE]
So basically you have to craft different ingots and cloth to make different weapons?

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']So basically you have to craft different ingots and cloth to make different weapons?[/QUOTE]

More or less. Only 1 is needed per piece of equipment.

Here's a quick idea based just on some equipment that Totori can wear:

Weapons:
Alchemy Staff - Ingot or Tinc
Light Iron Staff - Tinc, Dry Metal or Ster Metal
Healing Staff - Goldstein or Silvatite

Armor:
Alchemy Costume - Cloth or Muffcoat
Traveler Clothes - Polywool, Nylonfeather or Silkis
Rose Maiden - Polywool, Nylon Feather or Tanbeash
Blessed Costume - Scale Cloth

(EO3) Beat the volt dragon last night, after 3 tries. First try failed because I accidentally forgot to antivolt one round, and it killed 4 of 5 characters. Second one because my monk was stunned for literally 15+ rounds, and I didn't have Therica As. Didn't have Metapons either, so the dragon was down to about 10% health before it started regenning like crazy. Now to figure out how to forge my new sword...

I have just read something that broke my brain: The Creation of Final Fantasy Type-0's Panties. Final Fantasy has never shied away from fanservice, but Square used to be a lot more subtle about it.

Yesterday I spent a long time trying to wrap up Chapter 6 in Rogue Galaxy. I went through a lot of potions in the part where
Deego fights Gale one-on-one.
Finally got through that bit and am ready to start Chapter 7.

[quote name='Rodimus']It just completes the story and answers a lot of question the first one set up, so in that sense yeah, it's a better story. The first one was awesome but it leaves you hanging. I always thought of them to be a single game realeased in 2 parts, so I consider them both part of the same story anyways.[/QUOTE]
I preferred DDS1's side of the story since the pacing is perfect (DDS2's seems somewhat rushed in comparison) and it makes more sense. Overall, the entire story is good, though.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Persona: The Magazine

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/18/persona-gets-its-own-monthly-persona-magazine-in-japan/[/QUOTE]
Oookay. Is there really enough Persona out there to justify a monthly magazine?

[quote name='Draekon']More or less. Only 1 is needed per piece of equipment.

Weapons:

Armor:
[/QUOTE]

Do ingots/cloth still take 2 days to make each? That was one of the things that annoyed me the most in Rorona. If you wanted to upgrade your teams equipment, it would take 12 days.

[quote name='blueshinra']I have just read something that broke my brain: The Creation of Final Fantasy Type-0's Panties. Final Fantasy has never shied away from fanservice, but Square used to be a lot more subtle about it.[/QUOTE]
hey, girls like panties too. or so i've heard.

actually i'm relieved that the person who designed it was a girl.

the lead character in The Last Guardian was actually supposed to be female, but since there was so much climbing in the game the developer didn't want to deal with up-skirt issues.

fun fact.

[quote name='kainzero']hey, girls like panties too. or so i've heard.[/QUOTE]

The game better have something like this, it's only fair. :hot:
2749%20-%20blond_hair%20brown_hair%20crossdressing%20hanamura_yosuke%20inner_tube%20kanji_tatsumi%20persona_4%20shin_megami_tensei%20souji_seta%20swimsuit%20teddie%20white_hair.jpg

[quote name='panzerfaust']the lead character in The Last Guardian was actually supposed to be female, but since there was so much climbing in the game the developer didn't want to deal with up-skirt issues.

fun fact.[/QUOTE]

I love that changing the gender of the character entirely was a more palatable option than just not putting her in a skirt. Oh, Japan. :D

[quote name='bvharris']I love that changing the gender of the character entirely was a more palatable option than just not putting her in a skirt. Oh, Japan. :D[/QUOTE]

Or having her wear shorts or pants under the skirt.

It's kind of sad that a developer couldn't figure out how to clothe a female practically for climbing around.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Do ingots/cloth still take 2 days to make each? That was one of the things that annoyed me the most in Rorona. If you wanted to upgrade your teams equipment, it would take 12 days.[/QUOTE]

They take 1 day to craft now.

[quote name='icebeast']Or having her wear shorts or pants under the skirt.

It's kind of sad that a developer couldn't figure out how to clothe a female practically for climbing around.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they had a specific design for a female going, and when they realized they couldn't use a dress or a skirt that it would take too much away from the image they were trying to create -- so they scrapped the idea. I'd say it's a bit admirable more than anything.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Maybe they had a specific design for a female going, and when they realized they couldn't use a dress or a skirt that it would take too much away from the image they were trying to create -- so they scrapped the idea. I'd say it's a bit admirable more than anything.[/QUOTE]

I would say that the gameplay was probably planned out before the character was fleshed out (as evidenced by their apparent simple ability to change the gender of the character).

Personally I wouldn't call that admirable at all, it sounds fairly idiotic to me. They knew the type of game they were going to make, and the actions the character was going to do, and they made a character that apparently HAD to wear something that was never going to work to do those actions (or at least not if they wanted their game to be taken seriously)? And rather than, you know, just putting her in more covering clothing, they decided to totally redo the character to make it a guy. If anything it sounds like horrible planning to me.

Well I can't speak for how simple or complicated the development process is, but what I meant was the director may have wanted a girl with a certain image -- it involved a dress, skirt, or whatever. Probably after some testing they decided it wasn't worth the effort, or simply couldn't be done as we all know how well their cameras tend to pan.

So you have the option of designing a new look, or going back to square one. Apparently this developer is pretty picky, so they just scrapped the whole idea. No dress, no female -- and we'll go back to what was successful before. Better that than settle with a female design the director does not prefer, and I'm sure they went through many character designs (different clothing) before finally giving the female the boot.

Or it could of been a silly mistake and was scrapped as soon as it was brought up, I'm sure these moment are common as well -- but in this case it sounded like they actually tried.

[quote name='Draekon']More or less. Only 1 is needed per piece of equipment.

Weapons:

Armor:
[/QUOTE]
Thanks.
[quote name='suko_32']Suikoden: Woven Web of a Century (Vita)

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/1...rends-the-world-in-playstation-vita-suikoden/

I still want a proper Suikoden VI, but if this comes out here I'll be a bit happier.[/QUOTE]
Unless it takes place in the timeline of the original games I don't care.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Am I wrong for boycotting the Deus Ex DLC (I have it on 360) until it's $10 instead of a ludicrous $15?[/QUOTE]

I have it on PC and I'm just waiting for a Steam sale on it. Definitely want to play the DLC, but $15 is too much IMO.

I swear, one of these days I'll crack open Persona 4 and play it.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Am I wrong for boycotting the Deus Ex DLC (I have it on 360) until it's $10 instead of a ludicrous $15?[/QUOTE]

$10? I was thinking like 5.

[quote name='panzerfaust']ya?[/QUOTE]

Stop That.

No, I'm waiting for a Steal sale myself. Gonna cop it when it's like $5 or so.

[quote name='blueshinra']How is it boycotting? This being CAG, I would call it "waiting for a price drop".[/QUOTE]

Also, this.

[quote name='panzerfaust']always to europe, but this looks worth it -- ya?[/QUOTE]

Don't do it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']guess that depends on what's in it.[/QUOTE]

It's a 5-6 hour extra mission that you play at any time from the main menu and you get to respec your character (not sure how that respec carries into the game.)

If it came out from Bioware it would be either $7 or $10. $15 is too much to me.

[quote name='blueshinra']How is it boycotting? This being CAG, I would call it "waiting for a price drop".[/QUOTE]

[quote name='wikipedia']A boycott is an act of voluntarily abstaining from using, buying, or dealing with a person, organization, or country as an expression of protest, usually for political reasons. It can be a form of consumer activism.[/quote]

I know, I know.
It's quite sad how the same word used to describe the civil rights movement is also the same word that gamer455125 uses when a sequel is released too soon and he doesn't want to buy it.

[quote name='kainzero']I know, I know.
It's quite sad how the same word used to describe the civil rights movement is also the same word that gamer455125 uses when a sequel is released too soon and he doesn't want to buy it.[/QUOTE]
Well, MSUHitman's main objection seems to be that the rent price is too damn high. That said, there's quite a few things I'm currently "boycotting" because I would rather pay less for them :p

[quote name='momouchi']How are the Atelier games on the PS3? Are they similar to the PS2 ones just with updated graphics?[/QUOTE]
No, they are not like the Iris series. The Arland series is more like Atelier games that never made it to the US. They do not have "ohmygod we have to save the world" storylines. Atelier Rorona focuses much more on material gathering and crafting items than battles. There are only like 5 bosses in Rorona and they're all optional. I hear Totori makes things more battle oriented, but my copy is still sitting untouched at the moment. They also have time limits to beat the game, and a lot of people can't handle that part of it.

I thought Rorona was a wonderful game, and pretty much everyone has said Totori is extremely improved upon it.

Totori is indeed a bit more battle oriented than Rorona (but still nothing like Iris/Khemia). There are more than 5 bosses, all of which are completely optional unless you're going for a normal ending or true ending. Normal ending will require at least one specific boss and the true ending will require multiple ones, of which I won't say who or what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back