RPG Thread XIII-2: Tough Moms Always Die Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='eldergamer']Is it wrong if I'm finding Valkyria Chronciles excessively boring? I'm only at the 5th mission too.[/QUOTE]

No, I found it to be an average game. The whole tactics part is ruined by how limited you are in ways to accomplish the missions.

[quote name='panzerfaust']a bad anime.

and let's face it, the battles are easy as shit. the only fun is seeing how fast you can plow through. i really enjoyed the game for its look though, it's too awesome. and i'm not calling the game shallow for that either, because it's great. An SRPG that zooms into a TPS, is a lot fun.[/QUOTE]

At least the game wasn't padded out with 20+ hours of mind numbing grinding like most other SRPGs. Valkyria Chronicles is the only SRPG I've ever managed to finish and that is mostly because you never had to redo any missions or do a ludicrous number of random battles to improve your characters, and yet the later missions still managed to be reasonably challenging.

I've just found the pace of watch 5 cutscenes (and stop asking me if I want to view the cutscene after I selected it! That's why I selected it!) then a battle getting tedious already. Which is odd, because that's how most Jap-SRPGs are.

The battles aren't difficult, although it took me a couple to realize scouts are utterly uselles. And my tank should be able to roll over enemies.

On a different RPG note I did just clear the 4th Startum of Etrian Odyssey 3. 4 down, 2 to go.

[quote name='eldergamer']The battles aren't difficult, although it took me a couple to realize scouts are utterly uselles. And my tank should be able to roll over enemies.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I find scouts more useful than shocktroopers at times. It is important to remember that they are scouts, in that they are lightly armored and highly maneuverable. Where I find them most useful is to quickly claim camps so that I can move up troops.

It is disappointing that while you have a tank, most of the time you can't really use it effectively because the enemy is usually so loaded up with tanks and lancers. I spend more time trying to protect it than use it.

So, for my birthday, my wife picked up Dragon Quest VIII for me. I almost forgot that it had been sitting on my wishlist. Don't know when I'll have the time to play it, since I have a stack of RPGs to play that isn't getting much smaller.

[quote name='panzerfaust']a bad anime.[/QUOTE]
isn't that an oxymoron?
(like i should talk though. i'm really enjoying inazuma eleven right now.)
[quote name='icebeast']At least the game wasn't padded out with 20+ hours of mind numbing grinding like most other SRPGs.[/QUOTE]
yeah! like valkyria chronicles 2!
[quote name='eldergamer']The battles aren't difficult, although it took me a couple to realize scouts are utterly uselles. And my tank should be able to roll over enemies.[/QUOTE]
once the guns on the scouts get more accurate and you unlock the better powerups nature thingies, scouts become the most broken class in the game. they can headshot everything for free and from farther out so there's no threat from stormtroopers, and their movement lets them capture everything on the map and makes snipers no problem.

any oxy moron is when two words of opposite meaning describe something.

anyways, Im playing more Mass Effect... I figured out how to use my character's abilities so they die less when I can kill 2 ppl right off the bat of any shootouts.

but inventory still confuses me... Im not sure what to buy, especially since I cant afford anything!!

also whenever I open a chest I just take everything... Im not sure what Omni Gel is for...

[quote name='JEKKI']any oxy moron is when two words of opposite meaning describe something.

anyways, Im playing more Mass Effect... I figured out how to use my character's abilities so they die less when I can kill 2 ppl right off the bat of any shootouts.

but inventory still confuses me... Im not sure what to buy, especially since I cant afford anything!!

also whenever I open a chest I just take everything... Im not sure what Omni Gel is for...[/QUOTE]

In general I don't recall buying that much. Be sure to buy the grenade capacity upgrades when you see them, but IIRC you don't really need to buy much else. You get plenty of loot from missions.

You break down gear you don't need and don't want to sell (especially once you get going and have no real need for money) for omni-gel. Again, I tended to have plenty without breaking it down, but whatevs. You use it for repairing a vehicle you can pilot
the Mako, don't know how far you are
and for using your omnitool for decrypting electronics and unlocking doors. If you're a standard soldier I don't know if you'll be able to use it or not, I don't recall.

Reminds me I've gotta get a replay of ME1 and 2 before ME3 comes out in March.

[quote name='JEKKI']any oxy moron is when two words of opposite meaning describe something.[/QUOTE]
ugh

lately english no bueno やっぱりね

whooo~!!!

finished Citadel, got my ship now and ready to go on adventures!!

that means, now I can put the game off for a few weeks and play other things lol.

gotta be hype for dat BatMAAAAAANNG~~~!!

Started Spectral Force 3 last night. Pleasantly surprised so far. No where near the quality or depth of the Disgaea series but not a bad pick-up for 250 Goozex points.

[quote name='JEKKI']gotta be hype for dat BatMAAAAAANNG~~~!![/QUOTE]

tumblr_lpjja33QPq1qea66eo1_500.jpg

So, I'm not really feeling Deus Ex 3... Anyone interested in a copy for Xbox 360? Comes with the preorder slipcover, though I already used the code.

you know, inazuma eleven is actually really good. too bad it's just like xenoblade; europe only. but DS is region free so no problems there!

it's really like playing a saturday morning cartoon, but the presentation is really good.

also, the battles are like blitzball, haha.

So the actual gameplay is good in Inazuma Eleven? That's uh... really kind of surprising. In fact, it almost tempts me to import it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']my hype continuously level dips to nothing and then back up to holy bitches on a bitch boat.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure this game is going to be a blast to play regardless, but it still blows my mind that they chose to make a story starring a nonplayable side character from the first game and a bunch of new characters that nobody cares about, rather than continuing with the characters we already know and like. Do you even see the "-2" in the title Square?! This is a fan service game! Fan service is the only reason for this game to exist!

true, but it's growing on me. serah and noel are doing some sick looking combos, and neither of them annoy me as much as say, the new Hope.

if they want to try a serious narrative and develop new characters instead of shameless fan service, then they're welcome to try. though i'm sure many will just be happy that you can watch chocobos race, because that was one of the huge drawbacks to the original game.

[quote name='kainzero']you know, inazuma eleven is actually really good. too bad it's just like xenoblade; europe only. but DS is region free so no problems there!

it's really like playing a saturday morning cartoon, but the presentation is really good.

also, the battles are like blitzball, haha.[/QUOTE]

I imported it but haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. Nice to hear that it's like blitzball, that was one of the best thing about X, cuz, you know, the game was rather poor in general.

[quote name='Chacrana']So the actual gameplay is good in Inazuma Eleven? That's uh... really kind of surprising. In fact, it almost tempts me to import it.[/QUOTE]
once you get used to it, it's actually pretty fun but i do have issue with how they seem to randomly call offsides or not.

i'm also still working in story mode which still has a lot of crap in it like how you can't score a goal until you trigger a cutscene for the bigger matches.

random battles are cool though.

[quote name='kainzero']i'm also still working in story mode which still has a lot of crap in it like how you can't score a goal until you trigger a cutscene for the bigger matches. [/QUOTE]

What does that mean? Are they more scripted?

for example, in the second match, at first only one person can score a goal. after he does, then everyone can; otherwise the goal keeper blocks every goal.

also if the match ends in a loss or tie, it's a game over. (for the story matches)

Spectral Force 3 is a bad game. Level 1 encounters are a breeze but level 2 encounters are kicking my ass. The AI is smarter AND luckier than it ought to be.

Also, my huge problem is that there isn't an item system. If I want to heal, I have to wait for my healer's turn and he can only heal twice at the most. It wouldn't be bad if he could fully heal each time but I end up picking one guy and using Heal twice.

I even gave my Mage an item so she could heal but that's tied to SP. There are only two things that can fill SP. Time. Which always seems to leave me just short and my healer. So I can either use Refill HP twice (which I desperately need by the time some of the big dogs join the fray) or Refill SP once since for, some reason, it takes more AP than healing.

It wouldn't be so bad if I had some potions or anything my tanks could use to fend off sudden death. It really sucks to have my healer or mage coming up next but one guy gets killed. Once you lose guy in a battle, it's pretty much over. No Phoenix Downs, no Resurrections, nada. It was already tough to fight 15 guys with five. Now try it with four.

Got to play FFXIII-2 a bit at NYCC, and it was cool but that moogle is fucking unbearable. A normal scene where the heroes are in danger is ruined by KUPOPOPOPOPOPOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! It's Jar Jar Binks-esque.

[quote name='depascal22']Spectral Force 3 is a bad game. Level 1 encounters are a breeze but level 2 encounters are kicking my ass. The AI is smarter AND luckier than it ought to be.

Also, my huge problem is that there isn't an item system. If I want to heal, I have to wait for my healer's turn and he can only heal twice at the most. It wouldn't be bad if he could fully heal each time but I end up picking one guy and using Heal twice.

I even gave my Mage an item so she could heal but that's tied to SP. There are only two things that can fill SP. Time. Which always seems to leave me just short and my healer. So I can either use Refill HP twice (which I desperately need by the time some of the big dogs join the fray) or Refill SP once since for, some reason, it takes more AP than healing.

It wouldn't be so bad if I had some potions or anything my tanks could use to fend off sudden death. It really sucks to have my healer or mage coming up next but one guy gets killed. Once you lose guy in a battle, it's pretty much over. No Phoenix Downs, no Resurrections, nada. It was already tough to fight 15 guys with five. Now try it with four.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a real pain in the aine.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Anyone playing Atelier Totori? If so can you explain the weapon crafting system? Thanks![/QUOTE]

You craft an ingot or piece of cloth and trade it + cole for a weapon or piece of armor it makes. In most cases beyond the ingot/cloth or two, you'll need to jump multiple ones before you're able to make a new one piece of equipment. Usually it's 2 ingots or cloth per tier if I remember correctly. I think the higher ones in the tier give a little bit of a boost, but generally aren't worth it as the traits you craft into it will matter the most. I could probably reload my pre-clear save and craft some stuff and tell you what goes to what if you care enough. Although I don't have the items to craft the best equipment.

You also will more than likely not be able to craft the best stuff in the first playthrough unless you're using a guide or wiki. On NG+ it transfers over Cole + Equipped items (Weapon/Armor/Accessory) on all characters. Plus it gives you the option to skip to the point where you get your license.

[quote name='panzerfaust']ima import The Last Story as my winter break RPG =D

the art direction is way too awesome:

tls-kanan-and-elza.jpg

tls-illust-cast-color.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Despite the fact that neither of your screenshots work, I do agree that the game looks gorgeous. Did they announce a release date for it in Europe?

Reminds me that I still haven't bought Xenoblade... I really need to do that.

Just beat Bat for the second time in Digital Devil Saga.Game is awesome so far.Nice to play a JRPG where I actually have to plan my moves out for a change.Other than the encounter rate,it's a great game so far.

I remember DDS being really, really tough... but then, it was the first SMT game I ever played, so I suppose it would've kicked my ass even if it was easier than Nocturne...

So far the difficulty is fair,but am guessing it's going to skyrocket in a bit.I still have Nocturne in my backlog,but I know am going to be pulling my hair out trying to get through that one.

Nocturne wasn't that tough. It was slightly terrifying at times because you're like "OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD I GOTTA GET TO A SAVE POINT LIKE NOW." And you should expect to die on a boss at least once to figure out how to approach the battle. But the game feels completely fair, despite that it hands your ass to you.

And DDS doesn't get tougher. I thought the difficulty was brutal at the start and it got easier once I figured out how to play it properly. A few bosses were like "YO," though. That fuckin' Garuda.

But that only makes it that much more satisfying to turn your characters into complete beasts and just trample fools.

[quote name='Chacrana']Nocturne wasn't that tough. It was slightly terrifying at times because you're like "OH GOD, OH GOD, OH GOD I GOTTA GET TO A SAVE POINT LIKE NOW." And you should expect to die on a boss at least once to figure out how to approach the battle. But the game feels completely fair, despite that it hands your ass to you.

And DDS doesn't get tougher. I thought the difficulty was brutal at the start and it got easier once I figured out how to play it properly. A few bosses were like "YO," though. That fuckin' Garuda.[/QUOTE]
I have to agree about Nocturne, but like Chac, my first SMT was DDS, so I kind of knew what to expect. Also agreed about the boss fights. The formula for those that I followed was: go in once and see what tricks the boss uses, go in again with a lineup that's been changed as necessary.

(Wish I'd played Nocturne first, BTW. After the DDS games, it was disappointing, especially in terms of story and characterization.)

I have to disagree about DDS not getting tougher, though. The difficulty in both DDS games is pretty well-balanced... until the final dungeons where it ramps up, especially the one in DDS2 (a certain mandatory boss in that one is a real motherfucker).

DDS has a little a trial and error element to it. I remember fighting enemies for the first time unprepared and cocky being my main cause of death.

I think I've said this before but DDS has my favorite fighting system of all the SMT games. It's similar to Nocturne but "Devour" was a great addition, earning you extra points and quicker kills. Plus it ties in with the story that they eat other demons.

So I played the tutorial of Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny last night. Within ten minutes I had the spirit of a pink-haired anime girl trapped in my body. If this wasn't a Rune Factory game, I would expect great, great things from the plot.

[quote name='panzerfaust']ima import The Last Story as my winter break RPG =D[/QUOTE]

As far as Wii RPGs go I always wanted to import Earth Seeker, but it went OOS everywhere before it could drop in price. Sigh. Looked kind of interesting.

That's one of my favorite things about SMT games is that the boss battles require pre-planning and constant attention to your strategy.

Just like Etrian Odyssey 3.

Speaking of Etrian Odyssey 3. I'm on the 5th stratum now. Avoiding Mortal Hunters who have a horrible 1-hit-kill ability. Should I just avoid them and move on or work on taking them down?

[quote name='blueshinra']I have to agree about Nocturne, but like Chac, my first SMT was DDS, so I kind of knew what to expect. Also agreed about the boss fights. The formula for those that I followed was: go in once and see what tricks the boss uses, go in again with a lineup that's been changed as necessary.

(Wish I'd played Nocturne first, BTW. After the DDS games, it was disappointing, especially in terms of story and characterization.)

I have to disagree about DDS not getting tougher, though. The difficulty in both DDS games is pretty well-balanced... until the final dungeons where it ramps up, especially the one in DDS2 (a certain mandatory boss in that one is a real motherfucker).[/QUOTE]

DDS2... yeah, I know exactly which boss you're talking about.

Meganada was a pain in the fucking ass.

Probably. It's the second to last boss. All I remember was that it used a lot of electricity shit, and by the time I was strong enough to kill it, I was strong enough to absolutely trounce the final boss.

[quote name='eldergamer']Speaking of Etrian Odyssey 3. I'm on the 5th stratum now. Avoiding Mortal Hunters who have a horrible 1-hit-kill ability. Should I just avoid them and move on or work on taking them down?[/QUOTE]

I fought one and avoided the rest. Beat two of three dragons so far, but haven't re-tried Alarune / Kraken. Highest char is 75... Farmed speed books too, so all my characters have 60-70 agi =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back