RPG Thread XIII-2: Tough Moms Always Die Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='fwbweux']No comment :cool:[/QUOTE]
Come on, tell us who couldn't hack it. :cool: That's okay for me to say because I know I would have abandoned the game even faster.

[quote name='blueshinra']Haven't played in awhile, in part since I felt I had been neglecting Rogue Galaxy. I'm currently in Chapter 5 of that game; it's been steadily getting better.[/QUOTE]
Psh, that game deserves neglect ;) The neverending dungeons got to me pretty quickly. The funny thing is, Dark Cloud 2's were just as long, but splitting them up into many pieces with fun little goals for each one made it a lot more bearable. I guess they dropped this great idea so they could have the illusion of "no loading times,"
which really just meant that you'd spend a load screen's worth of time holding up on the analog stick, instead of just waiting
but IMO the tradeoff was not at all worth it. Still

[quote name='pete5883']Psh, that game deserves neglect ;) The neverending dungeons got to me pretty quickly. The funny thing is, Dark Cloud 2's were just as long, but splitting them up into many pieces with fun little goals for each one made it a lot more bearable. I guess they dropped this great idea so they could have the illusion of "no loading times,"
which really just meant that you'd spend a load screen's worth of time holding up on the analog stick, instead of just waiting

[quote name='Zmonkay']And don't forget the golf! Oh, the golf! I want a Dark Cloud 3 now :D[/QUOTE]
I could never get the hang of the golf in Dark Cloud 2, but the Georama system was a lot of fun. Oh, and the fish races! :D

Speaking of which, i haven't tried the Insectron tournament in Rogue Galaxy yet. Only just caught my first two bugs yesterday.

Hahaha, I totally forgot about those damned fish. Insectron just plain bored me. The capture system took too long/relied too much on luck and not skill, and the actual battles didn't interest me either. Rogue Galaxy had such potential but it just never clicked for me like Dark Cloud did.

On a Level 5 note, I'm thinking of picking up White Knight Chronicles 2 sometime. Anyone play it / did they fix at least some of the stuff everyone apparently hated about the first (and are they retroactive in the included first game)?

Golf in DC2 was fucking hard. Every once in a while I would pop it back in "to play some more of those golf courses I loved" and would end up turning it off, cursing.

[quote name='pete5883']Psh, that game deserves neglect ;) The neverending dungeons got to me pretty quickly. The funny thing is, Dark Cloud 2's were just as long, but splitting them up into many pieces with fun little goals for each one made it a lot more bearable. I guess they dropped this great idea so they could have the illusion of "no loading times,"

Just started playing Digital Devil Saga 1.So far it's pretty good,but it has the most ridiculous encounter rate in a RPG.Ever 5 steps is a battle,but they at least have a lot of save points to counter that.

[quote name='themaster20000']Just started playing Digital Devil Saga 1.So far it's pretty good,but it has the most ridiculous encounter rate in a RPG.Ever 5 steps is a battle,but they at least have a lot of save points to counter that.[/QUOTE]
I didn't think it was that bad. Skies of Arcadia, now that has a ridiculous encounter rate.

The DDS games are great overall, though. I especially liked the dungeons, characters, and story.

[quote name='blueshinra']I didn't think it was that bad. Skies of Arcadia, now that has a ridiculous encounter rate.

The DDS games are great overall, though. I especially liked the dungeons, characters, and story.[/QUOTE]

Not a fan of the character designs,but there interesting characters so far,and the whole setting is great.

I'm surprised how easy progress is being made now in E03. In the earlier floors it seems like I would have to leave, revive, rest several times in order to complete a floor.

Now down on the fourth stratum I'm able to clear whole floors without returning to town.

I'm about 6 hours into Persona 2: Innocent Sin. Really liking it, which isn't surprising given how much I liked Eternal Punishment. The soundtrack is absolutely amazing, too. One of the more interesting aspects of the game is just how different in tone it is from Eternal Punishment... at least at the outset.

Anyway, if I do have a complaint, it's that the game seems really easy so far. Which is a weird contrast from the grueling challenge of Eternal Punishment. Actually, I think I'm going to set it on hard.

Edit: Muuuuccchhhh better. Apparently, they adjusted the difficulty level for the PSP version, so normal is easier than the original game. Hard bring back the thrill of dungeon crawling. This is how it's meant to be played.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to get to playing these games. I remember for so long trying to get good deals on both DDS games and when I finally did, I just threw them into the backlog. I actually forgot I had them until right now.

It always puts me to shame when I see Vesperia or P4 just sitting there still in shrinkwarp.

So does anyone have any opinions on some of the action-RPG titles for the :ps3:

Things like Hunted: Demons Forge, Two World 2. Knights Contract, etc. ?

Hunted is all right. I was playing it a bit before Gears 3 and Rage came out, and plan to go back to it and finish it up probably after those games.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'm about 6 hours into Persona 2: Innocent Sin. Really liking it, which isn't surprising given how much I liked Eternal Punishment. The soundtrack is absolutely amazing, too. One of the more interesting aspects of the game is just how different in tone it is from Eternal Punishment... at least at the outset.

Anyway, if I do have a complaint, it's that the game seems really easy so far. Which is a weird contrast from the grueling challenge of Eternal Punishment. Actually, I think I'm going to set it on hard.

Edit: Muuuuccchhhh better. Apparently, they adjusted the difficulty level for the PSP version, so normal is easier than the original game. Hard bring back the thrill of dungeon crawling. This is how it's meant to be played.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. I'm about 10 hours in and did some level/Persona grinding in order to prepare myself since I also remembered EP being a little on the difficult side. But yeah, it's been cake so far. I accidently went to one of the missions were you go to St. Hermelin High. It's a long dungeon and realized later I was a little underleveled to take it on. But I did a good chunk of it and when I came out I was way overleveled.

As much as I like this soundtrack I think P1's soundtrack was better. I wish they would've made a catchy battle theme like they did with P1. I got pumped everytime.

[quote name='Rodimus']Good to know. I'm about 10 hours in and did some level/Persona grinding in order to prepare myself since I also remembered EP being a little on the difficult side. But yeah, it's been cake so far. I accidently went to one of the missions were you go to St. Hermelin High. It's a long dungeon and realized later I was a little underleveled to take it on. But I did a good chunk of it and when I came out I was way overleveled.

As much as I like this soundtrack I think P1's soundtrack was better. I wish they would've made a catchy battle theme like they did with P1. I got pumped everytime.[/QUOTE]

Persona 1's battle song is definitely catchy. That's maybe the only thing I liked about that game, to be honest. P2's music just seems so much moodier to me. The music that plays in the Time Castle shop, Satie's Gymnopedie in the Velvet Room... so much good stuff. And I really like that the remix kept the flavor of the original songs and just replaced the instrumentation in most cases rather than redoing the whole thing.

In a way, the game is a little sad, simply because it takes me back to a long-gone time when RPGs were so good. I've enjoyed some more recent stuff like Ys Seven (though that's barely an RPG), but there's really no substitute for JRPGs in the mid to late 90's. That post-Evangelion Japan where everything had to be dark and/or bat-shit insane was the best of times IMO.

I also think there were fewer annoying kids in RPGs back then.

I need to give the music a better listen to then. I usually play at work with volume down, so I've been missing out quite a bit on the audio department.

I've always had a soft spot for P1. Lots of people say it didn't age well, and they're totally justified in thinking that, but I still really enjoy the game. I would've gone through with another run but I screwed up a few hours in the game and messed up on recruiting Reiji (Chris), and there's no way I'm playing through without that stud.

When P2 came out it was definitely a good time to be a JRPG fan. Star Ocean 2, Valkyrie Profile, Tales of Destiny 2 (Eternia), Grandia, etc all conjure up some great memories.

I think I'm in the mood for a little Persona 2 when I get home.

everyboooooody~!!!

what cheese can you not have?!?!

Nacho Cheese~!!!

but that's OK coz that isnt yallz favorite cheese anyways!!!

what is your favorite cheese?!?!

R.P.Cheese~!!!

yyyyyyyeaaaaayy~!!!

anyways, I'm playing Mass Effect!!

I tried to play it before but I thought I could play it on the side but I couldnt...

now Im playing it again... but on PC!!!

any tips?!?! whenever I get into fights all my characters die... I dont understand how to keep them alive -_-

Now I really want to pick up Persona 2. But this will be one of the rare times I sit back an wait for a decent deal on the game. I'm sure it will be a deal of the day on Amazon in a few months.

[quote name='blueshinra']I didn't think it was that bad. Skies of Arcadia, now that has a ridiculous encounter rate.[/QUOTE]

The encounter rate in DDS was ok most of the time, but occasionally it would go nuts and you'd end up in a fight every other step.

Jekki: Where the hell you been? I've missed your insane posts, lol.

Tip for ME: Play on 360... But seriously, strategy all depends on your team loadout. I preferred 1 soldier (usually Wrex), 1 tech (Tali) and myself being full biotic. Sub in Liarra as a biotic if you aren't one yourself. Really, go with characters you find interesting, because once you start leveling up some abilities the team doesn't matter as much.

Essentially you want a biotic and tech to lock down organic and mech enemies, respectively, and then a strong soldier to rip em apart once they're frozen.

[quote name='JEKKI']everyboooooody~!!!

what cheese can you not have?!?!

Nacho Cheese~!!!

but that's OK coz that isnt yallz favorite cheese anyways!!!

what is your favorite cheese?!?!

R.P.Cheese~!!!

yyyyyyyeaaaaayy~!!!

anyways, I'm playing Mass Effect!!

I tried to play it before but I thought I could play it on the side but I couldnt...

now Im playing it again... but on PC!!!

any tips?!?! whenever I get into fights all my characters die... I dont understand how to keep them alive -_-[/QUOTE]

This was the funniest post I've read in a while.

Anyway, I played Mass Effect PC, and I seem to recall just letting my characters die... they're pretty useless early on, anyways. Besides, I'm the Shepard, not the sheep. I'm not gonna let those hoes dictate that I have to revive them like all damn day.

It's pretty overwhelming at first... and if you can believe it, the sea of menus in battle is actually streamlined from the original. It'll click, eventually. Talk to Igor in the Velvet Room -- it's a pretty useful tutorial.

Negotiations in P2 don't have an exact science. It's hit n' miss mixed in with some minor logic. A "joyful" demon will ask me "Are video games fun" so logically I say "Yeah, they're fun." Then he gets pissed. I don't get it sometimes.

It's like that in Devil Summoner 2.Half the time its just random choices that made no sense.The whole negotiation system is fun at first,but it gets pretty boring after awhile.

[quote name='Rodimus']Negotiations in P2 don't have an exact science. It's hit n' miss mixed in with some minor logic. A "joyful" demon will ask me "Are video games fun" so logically I say "Yeah, they're fun." Then he gets pissed. I don't get it sometimes.[/QUOTE]

It's like if you ask a black person if they like fried chicken. You'd expect them to say yes. But some of them would get pissed, because they think you're stereotyping. Or perhaps they're on foodstamps, which KFC might not accept.

Just because you can categorize someone as being a part of a group doesn't mean that they're all the same, racist.

[quote name='Rodimus']Negotiations in P2 don't have an exact science. It's hit n' miss mixed in with some minor logic. A "joyful" demon will ask me "Are video games fun" so logically I say "Yeah, they're fun." Then he gets pissed. I don't get it sometimes.[/QUOTE]

It felt like that in Strange Journey to me to, after like half way.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']The encounter rate in DDS was ok most of the time, but occasionally it would go nuts and you'd end up in a fight every other step.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's true. Nocturne is like that as well, come to think of it.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Nah, yours is fine. Somebody from BlazBlue, right?

It's the Tommy Wiseaus.[/QUOTE]

That's what's bovering you?

You're tearing me apart.

[quote name='blueshinra']Yeah, that's true. Nocturne is like that as well, come to think of it.[/QUOTE]

The upside to the encounter rate in Nocturne was that there were like 5 different themes for normal battles, and they were all pretty rad.

I also found the auto-battle supremely useful in that game, just because the attack animations moved so quickly. Made fights that would otherwise be a nuisance relatively inoffensive.

Anyway, after I finish Persona 2, I'm tempted to play The Witcher 2. I couldn't get it to run properly thanks to something being fucked up on my video card back in May, but now that "version 2.0" of the game is out, I feel like now's the time to play it.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']The avatars in this thread are starting to get really disturbing.[/QUOTE]
u4pctitl.gif

I completed Demon's Souls, started the new game and I'm kind of flying through it now that I know what's up. Super pleased with the game though, I didn't think it would be that good.

[quote name='Chacrana']It's like if you ask a black person if they like fried chicken. You'd expect them to say yes. But some of them would get pissed, because they think you're stereotyping. Or perhaps they're on foodstamps, which KFC might not accept.

Just because you can categorize someone as being a part of a group doesn't mean that they're all the same, racist.[/QUOTE]

You see, I thought that too. But then if I told him "I never played a video game." or "They're boring." I would be lying not only to Robin Goodfellow but also to myself. How can I play a game like Persona if I'm constantly lying to everyone? Doesn't this game teach you to be "true to ones-self?"

Unlike you I respect the demon community so much that I would never form a relationship with a Jack Frost on lies just to get a few extra tarot cards. You my friend are the manipulative racist who thinks demons are there for nothing more but your personal step ladder to the next level or stronger Persona. If a demon rejects me because I speak my mind then he/she will never be good enough to be my demon buddy. But at least I respect them enough not to lie to their face..... then of course I have to kill them. But it's a murder based on respect.

[quote name='Rodimus']You see, I thought that too. But then if I told him "I never played a video game." or "They're boring." I would be lying not only to Robin Goodfellow but also to myself. How can I play a game like Persona if I'm constantly lying to everyone? Doesn't this game teach you to be "true to ones-self?"[/QUOTE]
:lol:

Persona 3 and 4 are basically sociopath simulators, they teach you to tell people what they want to hear, and exploit them for maximum personal gain. :lol:

[quote name='Zmonkay']Jekki: Where the hell you been? I've missed your insane posts, lol.[/QUOTE]I aint been playing RPCheez mang... just Catherine and 2D games...

I played Deus Ex... I heard that game's suppose to be an RPG but it dont really feel like one...

u go in a room full of enemies and u can either kill them all, knock em out one by one, or just walk behind them.

it's a ton of fun actually!!!

anywayz, I chose my Shepard to be the default soldier type... but still I have no idea how to use my other doods! I have to command them to use abilities right? They dont do it on their own... I gotta learn.

Huh. Amazon's saying I'll be getting Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny tomorrow. I was not expecting release day delivery for this of all games, not that I'm complaining. Now to finish one of my currently-playing RPGs so I can start this and pick my future moe waifu! ^___^

Played some more Rogue Galaxy today, getting access to the Factory. First impressions: it's... kind of a pain in the neck.

[quote name='blueshinra']Huh. Amazon's saying I'll be getting Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny tomorrow. I was not expecting release day delivery for this of all games, not that I'm complaining. Now to finish one of my currently-playing RPGs so I can start this and pick my future moe waifu! ^___^[/QUOTE]

I've always wanted to try that series out, but still haven't got around to it. How long do they take to beat?

Somewhere between 50-100+ by my best estimate (the DS entries don't log total playtime), possibly less if you barrel through the story stuff and/or use a guide.

i started rf3 but it feels really short compared to the first one i played. i'm almost done... i think.

i then started hm: tale of two cities but it's sooooooooo sloooooooooooooow

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back