RPG Thread XIII-2: Tough Moms Always Die Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Indignate']I like having 99 Elixers at the end of a game because I've been waiting for that one battle where I would need them.[/QUOTE]

Ha, me too. And 99 Super Elixers!

[quote name='62t']Earthbound, and Dragon Quest each character can carry a limited number of items[/QUOTE]
I fucking hated the item limit in Earthbound. The condiments were total space hogs, too.

[quote name='pete5883']I noticed a typo or 2, but otherwise it's been good. There is a ton of NPC text to translate, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had trouble getting it all done.[/QUOTE]

Not so much typos but rather sloppy translation. I understand what they're trying to say, but it just comes off as odd, like they're were taking the literal Japanese translation instead of figuring out an English substitute. I probably should call it sloppy or lazy. I'm sure not much time was spent on this.

I must be the only one but I was having more fun with the original Persona remake for the PSP. Not sure why, maybe the power of nostalgia, or the kick ass battle music.

I think I just figured out what the threads title is about.

tumblr_kzaspko8NE1qz6ltuo1_500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='distgfx']Stop trolling.[/QUOTE]

They made me cancel my pre-order.

Putting that credit towards Arkham instead

[quote name='whoknows']They made me cancel my pre-order.

Putting that credit towards Arkham instead[/QUOTE]

But Arkham City doesn't come with a Metal Case.

[quote name='whoknows']They made me cancel my pre-order.

Putting that credit towards Arkham instead[/QUOTE]

Why not sonic generations? I heard the new trailer has shadow in it.

[quote name='distgfx']Why not sonic generations? I heard the new trailer has shadow in it.[/QUOTE]
Sonic Generations will be bought day 1 regardless.

And indeed it does. I hear Shadow will be a boss fight.

[quote name='whoknows']Sonic Generations will be bought day 1 regardless.

And indeed it does. I hear Shadow will be a boss fight.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see I'm not the only one pumped for this! Colors just didn't do it for me, but Generations looks fantastic!

[quote name='icebeast']No, just put them in storage for later... and well since many things can be upgrading I basically put everything in storage, haha.[/QUOTE]

lol, Stockpile Thomas has soooooo much useless shit in storage. I'm just glad because it removes the tedium of "oh shit, out of inventory space, better hike back to drop off loot and then start the level over"

Hell, since I played Oblivion on PC the first thing I did after installing was to open the ini and edit the modifier for carry weight. Made it like StrengthX10000000. :D

[quote name='Zmonkay']Glad to see I'm not the only one pumped for this! Colors just didn't do it for me, but Generations looks fantastic!
[/QUOTE]

I'm incredibly hyped for it. I wonder if I'm the only person in the world passing on Uncharted 3 at release because Sonic Generations is the same day.

^ I literally cackled at that. That. Was. Awesome!

Also reminds me I need to start looking for a cheap copy of SSFIV:AE...

[quote name='whoknows']I'm incredibly hyped for it. I wonder if I'm the only person in the world passing on Uncharted 3 at release because Sonic Generations is the same day.[/QUOTE]
Your not because I am not a fan of Uncharted (so I am not buying it) but I can't wait for Sonic Generations.

I don't see how UC3 is worth $60 on day one, but then again I don't really touch the multiplayer. I could beat the game in a rental fairly comfortably.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I don't see how UC3 is worth $60 on day one, but then again I don't really touch the multiplayer. I could beat the game in a rental fairly comfortably.[/QUOTE]

It's worth $60 if you think the single player is good enough and you want to own the game for your collection or to replay it.

I thought UC2 was amazing but I don't see much replay value within it. It's built like a hollywood popcorn flick -- there's no emotional attachment to pull you back again, and the combat is about as basic as you get, it was so good because of superbly made scripted events and for me I only need to see those once.

UC3 will probably be stunning but for me it's only going to cost me $5 :bouncy:

[quote name='panzerfaust']I thought UC2 was amazing but I don't see much replay value within it. It's built like a hollywood popcorn flick -- there's no emotional attachment to pull you back again, and the combat is about as basic as you get, it was so good because of superbly made scripted events and for me I only need to see those once.

UC3 will probably be stunning but for me it's only going to cost me $5 :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I can understand that, although I actually enjoy replaying games like this instead of ones I'm more emotionally attached to for some reason. I still don't know if I'll replay it though. The main reason I plan to get it at release is because I know I'll enjoy it a lot and won't want to wait to play it, and I want to own it rather than rent it.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Grandia 3 still sucks.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with you sir/miss. I enjoyed that game immensely when I rented it years ago. Liked the spirit of adventure and the airplane theme.

[quote name='depascal22']Super bored with Crimson Gem Saga right now. Might just throw it back on Goozex and start something else.[/QUOTE]

I had it about 2 years ago, but then went in the hospital and stopped playing it and sold it. I'd like to get back to it at some point and buy it again and play it when I don't have such an RPG backlog. I might buy it off of you. Do you accept paypal and would you be willing to ship it to me? PM Me.

[quote name='fwbweux']It's really pretty, but that's about it. It's as painfully standard as RPGs come. Between this and Magna Carta 2 being my second-least-favorite RPG this gen, I might just avoid KRPGs wholesale in the future if any more ever get localized.[/QUOTE]

I played Magna Carta 2, and liked it, but got stuck in a spot where I couldn't grind, and couldn't go back and buy healing items, so I was screwed. Quit the game, but will eventually go back to play it sometime later.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I really should crack open this copy of Persona 4 and play it. . .[/QUOTE]

You really should. It's an excellent game with lots of good pacing and the script is balanced with humor and horror. Difficult game though - if you have trouble with games (as I do) play it on easy. I might go back and re-play it this winter on normal if I have some time and clear my RPG backlog.

[quote name='whoknows']I'm fine with difficult games, but being difficult because they're unfair is a different story.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'm getting older (35), and have a very tough time with games. I don't have all the time I did nor do I have the skill I did during my college/Dreamcast days. I often find myself playing everything on easy *shame*. Even now, being unemployed, I don't have the time to devote to games like I'd like. :cry:

[quote name='Rodimus']Finally had a chance to play some Persona 2. It's good, pretty much what I expected. Is it me or does the translation seem a little off, like it was rushed or something. Also the encounter rate is super high. It doesn't bother me yet but I'm sure later in the game when I'm in one of those famous SMT mazes it'll get annoying. I imagine I'll be using the auto-attack feature quite a bit to pick up the pace.[/QUOTE]

I've been playing intently for about an hour, just got to the fights, and enjoy it. It kinda surprises me that I enjoy it so much. I didn't care for 1, thought it didn't age well for some reason and sold it early, but this one is fun to me for some reason. I guess I like the story better or whatever? Or maybe I've been starved for a good RPG since the summer drought? I never even knew this had an auto attack feature lol I need to read the manual, but I'm @ my parents house right now and don't have it. I'm taking this game very slow and easy. I want to savor it lol

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Inventory limits are bullshit, I hate dealing with that in Western RPGs. JRPGs never make you drop stuff, you wanna carry 99 of every item in the game, go crazy![/QUOTE]

I only play JRPG, and I horde items like a mofo. It would probably make the game more fun and interesting if I didn't. LoL

[quote name='Indignate']Persona 4 anime to be simulcasted.

http://www.animevice.com/news/persona-4-the-animation-is-licensed-and-simulcasting-schedule/5552/

I like watching anime in one go so I won't care about this until it's over and I can hear opinions on whether it's good or not.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you 100% on that one. Maybe if we're lucky, it'll eventually show up on netflix. King of Fighters did.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been playing Etrian Odyssey 3 almost every night this week. About to clear the 3rd stratum. Hopefully.

Aligned myself with Deep City and have got party members at levels 33-35. So one trip to face the boss and lose (just to see what the attacks are) and one trip to (ideally) defeat him.

I had a dream last night that my life was a RPG with social elements.

It's weird cuz I've only been playing Gears whenever I do get a chance to play anything. Maybe that's why I was attacked by a giant centipede...being ridden by a androgynous teen.

[quote name='Indignate']I had a dream last night that my life was a RPG with social elements.

It's weird cuz I've only been playing Gears whenever I do get a chance to play anything. Maybe that's why I was attacked by a giant centipede...being ridden by a androgynous teen.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, I played Puzzle quest in my dreams quite often a couple years ago. Clearly you need your Persona fix.:D

I had a dream I was Mega Man and I defeated all the master robots and right when I got to Dr. Wily this huge door opened up with a bright light then I woke up.

Only played EO3 once this week. Stratum 6 always pisses me off. Nearing lv70, so I might actually have to retire my hoplite and go fight dragons.

[quote name='Rodimus']I had a dream I was Mega Man and I defeated all the master robots and right when I got to Dr. Wily this huge door opened up with a bright light then I woke up.[/QUOTE]

The most important thing is whether or not you attempted to jump through that door as it was opening.

[quote name='Indignate']I had a dream last night that my life was a RPG with social elements.

It's weird cuz I've only been playing Gears whenever I do get a chance to play anything. Maybe that's why I was attacked by a giant centipede...being ridden by a androgynous teen.[/QUOTE]

LoL You've been playing too much Persona.

Absolutely withering review of White Knight Chronicles II is up on Gametrailers. I remember before the first one came out, it was like, Level 5 does their own take on Final Fantasy XII, on a next-gen system-- how could that possibly not be great? I even considered it a possible reason to get a PS3. :lol:

[quote name='panzerfaust']could you elaborate on what's enjoyable? i figure you're playing the MP[/QUOTE]
maybe they're unrelated.

"i am enjoying myself."
"i am currently over 110 hours on WKC2."

[quote name='elessar123']Only played EO3 once this week. Stratum 6 always pisses me off. Nearing lv70, so I might actually have to retire my hoplite and go fight dragons.[/QUOTE]

Level 70 is the first cap, right?
I have Hoplite/Ninja. Prince/Bucanner Arabalist/Gladiator
and in the bank Monk/Prince and Zodaic/Wilding.

I think they're more defensive based than damage dealers. I'm having trouble beating the Golem on the Sea Quests right now.

So I borrowed White Knight Chronicles 1 from a friend to see if I would like it for a potential purchase of WKC 2 (which has 1 on the same disk) and I'm wondering when I'm supposed to start hating it like EVERY single review of the game says. It's no Tales of Vesperia or Valkyria Chronicles but I would say it's just as enjoyable as Lost Odyssey or Eternal Sonata.

[quote name='eldergamer']Level 70 is the first cap, right?
I have Hoplite/Ninja. Prince/Bucanner Arabalist/Gladiator
and in the bank Monk/Prince and Zodaic/Wilding.

I think they're more defensive based than damage dealers. I'm having trouble beating the Golem on the Sea Quests right now.[/QUOTE]

Only thing really weird in there is the P/B, though I guess you could spec it to use Pin Needles still.

Don't remember the first two golem fights atm, but on the third, I brought a M/P with resurrect, and H/N with bodyguard and clone.

And yea, 70 is the first cap.

Almost done with floor 24. Worst floor in this game (well, no idea how 25 is yet), but it's still less annoying than the sixth stratum in EO2, where half of the tiles dropped you down a floor...

[quote name='panzerfaust']could you elaborate on what's enjoyable? i figure you're playing the MP[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed the single player all right as well, but the majority of the reason I've been playing it for 8-10 hours a night for the last week is because I've found a pretty decent crew to run the online portion with that I have fun talking to.

But really the game isn't as bad as the reviews make it sound.

[quote name='MSUHitman']So I borrowed White Knight Chronicles 1 from a friend to see if I would like it for a potential purchase of WKC 2 (which has 1 on the same disk) and I'm wondering when I'm supposed to start hating it like EVERY single review of the game says. It's no Tales of Vesperia or Valkyria Chronicles but I would say it's just as enjoyable as Lost Odyssey or Eternal Sonata.[/QUOTE]

That seems to be the popular opinion. Critics hate it, but people that actually give it a chance despite that end up liking it well enough.

So I was thinking of my RPG backlog, and it's a bigger than I want it to be. Need to finish off a few of these and stop starting up new games only to get near the end and quit.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin - Currently playing this, at last I'll have completed the Persona series then Igor will want to hang out with me and we can share a panini.
Breath of Fire IV - Put this on the back burner since P2 came out.
Wild Arms 4 - Really did enjoy this, just too many games.
Shadow Hearts: Covenant - I know, I know, blashpamy. I need to play more of this to see why everyone loves Covenant so much. Only a few hours in and it just hasen't grabbed me. But I plan on giving it more chances.
Xenosaga - Near the end, might as well finish it off but I never have the motivation to pop it in my PS2. Eventually I'd like to finish the entire trilogy.
Star Ocean: First Departure - Again, near the end. Maybe 5 hours left. Got burnt out by the extremly bland story.
Grandia - Okay, when I say right at the end I mean it. Saved right before the final dungeon.
Terranigma - Awesome oldschool action RPG. Not sure how far along I am but I think I'm pretty far along.

There's also a few others I started up like Threads of Fate, Alundra, Chuthulu vs the World. But I just started them so I don't even want to consider them part of my backlog.

[quote name='Indignate']I don't even want to talk about my RPG backlog.

I just pretend it doesn't exist anymore.[/QUOTE]

That's what I do. Every now and then I venture in there and quickly escape with a game in my hand before I get crushed by the weight of my eternal shame.

Honestly I don't mind having a backlog though because it means I'll always have something to play. As long as I don't look at it as something I have to finish, I'm fine. And if I pull a game out of it and don't like it, I can just sell it and try something else.

My problem is if I enjoy a game halfway through I feel obligated to finish it, so I don't want to get rid of it. It's burned and blessed me in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back