RPG Thread XIII-2: Tough Moms Always Die Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='fwbweux']Looking back, I have no idea how I actually beat most of the bosses in Demon's Souls without cheesing them. I had a Sticky Compound Longbow +5 about as early as I could in the game with the intention of doing this, but every time I made it to a boss I couldn't keep from just rushing in headlong with a close-range weapon. I think I just hacked at the Tower Knight's ankles with a mace until he died, hah.

(and all this without realizing that I was overburdened a lot of the game. I could only kind of run and could only roll slowly.)[/QUOTE]

I was doing the same thing,but then I had to run to heal,and I realized his head is exposed when he does his magic attack.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Well, Gust has been bought by Koei Tecmo. This news really depresses me because I think my current favorite RPG series is the Atelier series, and I don't have high hopes that it will stay as great as it has been.[/QUOTE]

I think Koei is just going to use the Atelier license for things like social gaming. Hopefully they leave the developing to Gust.

Some of those Nier side quests were depressing. It came to the point were a villiger asked "Can you find my dog." and I instantly thought, your dog is fuckin' dead bro.

yo yo! I saw Wayne Brady yesterday!!

mother ducking Wayne Brady lol.

he reminds me of the black guy from FF 13...

coz that guy had a chocobo in his hair!!

it's like is Wayne Brady gonna have to chocobo?!?!

[quote name='Backlash']Have you played Dark Souls? The entire story (aside from a small intro movie) is told through in-game item descriptions and short interactions with NPCs, so one of the fun things is trying to piece together the lore and story for it (especially regarding the morally abiguous ending choices - which one is the "right' one?). Lots of threads all over the internets where people are working together to figure it out.

Edit: Here's a little article talking about it (and comparing its story-telling method to Skyrim, for some reason): http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-07-telling-tales-skyrim-and-dark-souls-article[/QUOTE]

Wow, great article, thanks. Yeah, I love Dark Souls (still haven't beat it, got distracted with some other stuff, but will get back to it soon!). That and Demon Souls had such great "stories" buried in them for those paying attention / could find them.

[quote name='JEKKI']yo yo! I saw Wayne Brady yesterday!!

mother ducking Wayne Brady lol.

he reminds me of the black guy from FF 13...

coz that guy had a chocobo in his hair!!

it's like is Wayne Brady gonna have to chocobo?!?![/QUOTE]

hahahahaha, I literally laughed out loud at that. :lol:

This is one of the smartest quotes that I've read in some time:

[quote name='Nippon Ichi CEO Sohei Niikawa']The overseas market is key. It's not something we can turn our backs to. However, I think it's a bad idea to create products targeted for the West. ... Our only choice is to make titles that hardcore Japanese fans go for, then bring them out overseas as a purely made-in-Japan product. Disgaea is a success in the West, so I think it's best to go with a natural flow instead of trying to force ourselves in some unnatural direction.[/quote]

From: http://andriasang.com/comz99/nippon_ichi_famitsu_interview/

That is smart. When Japanese developers try to modify their style to appeal to Western tastes, you either get pale imitations like Quantum Theory and Mindjack or you get games that betray a fundamental misunderstanding of what Westerners want, like The Last Remnant.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That is smart. When Japanese developers try to modify their style to appeal to Western tastes, you either get pale imitations like Quantum Theory and Mindjack or you get games that betray a fundamental misunderstanding of what Westerners want, like The Last Remnant.[/QUOTE]

If done right you get an excellent game like Vanquish.Platinumgames is one of the companies that can do it right.

[quote name='themaster20000']If done right you get an excellent game like Vanquish.Platinumgames is one of the companies that can do it right.[/QUOTE]
That's true. I was tempted to mention Final Fantasy XIII as well, at least as a partial success, but that's hardly a consensus view. :lol: In fact the consensus may be that FF13 was another fundamental misunderstanding of what Westerners want.

XII and XIII performed well in the west, so you can look at it from both angles. I think what's ultimately being said is, do what you're good at. Versus is post-apocalyptic and features TPS elements. Call me crazy, but I think it will be a hit over here.

Vanquish was another good example.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='panzerfaust']XII and XIII performed well in the west, so you can look at it from both angles. I think what's ultimately being said is, do what you're good at.[/QUOTE]

And not make a gigantic turd like XIV.

Funny this subject comes up after I read the Capcom article in the latest GameInformer. They were talking about that Japanese companies need to do more co-productions with US companies. While that probably will happen, some of us do buy Japanese games because they do come from that perspective.

[quote name='Rodimus']Some of those Nier side quests were depressing. It came to the point were a villiger asked "Can you find my dog." and I instantly thought, your dog is fuckin' dead bro.[/QUOTE]
'Dat New Game+ mode.

Some of them were just fucking grinds, though.

I don't agree with that Nippon Ichi quote. Sure, there's a niche market for people who like Japanesey games, I see no problem catering towards that. That shouldn't mean every Japanese developer should follow suit.

Their attempts in making games for westerners has been a poor show, but I jiust don't like that give up spirit.

Aye, XIV doesn't get enough attention. People love to talk about the downfall of Square but always cite successful titles on the market like XIII, XII, and X-2.

XIV was a fucking disaster. I don't think people realize how hard it hit the company.

[quote name='Rodimus']I don't agree with that Nippon Ichi quote. Sure, there's a niche market for people who like Japanesey games, I see no problem catering towards that. That shouldn't mean every Japanese developer should follow suit.

Their attempts in making games for westerners has been a poor show, but I jiust don't like that give up spirit.[/QUOTE]

I see it less as giving up and more as a recommendation that Japan not try and pander to the West anymore.

Honestly, I think what's made the country's gaming culture so backwards this gen is solely the fact that the big companies are throwing away their identity in pursuit of making games for a "global audience." If a game is Japanese-y, but still good, it'll succeed in the West.

Indeed. They are trying to compete with the west at something they cannot win. And thus, we have tons of western developed games, lots of Japanese developed western wannabe games, and no real eastern games to speak of.

I think the market is shrinking for those types of games, unfortunately. Even Mistwalker went the crazy action RPG route with The Last Story -- on the Wii, no less.

maaaaaaaan I'm jus saying, give me money, give me time, give me programmers, composers, artists,

I will make the greatest JRPG you will ever play in your life!!

I'll fukkyn put Wayne Brady in it too!! he'll be chillaxin!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That's true. I was tempted to mention Final Fantasy XIII as well, at least as a partial success, but that's hardly a consensus view. :lol: In fact the consensus may be that FF13 was another fundamental misunderstanding of what Westerners want.[/QUOTE]
I don't think 13 was aimed for non-Japanese.
Hella people stopped in the streets in Akihabara to watch the trailer.

I agree with that quote from a general business perspective. Do what you're good at.

[quote name='panzerfaust']People love to talk about the downfall of Square but always cite successful titles on the market like XIII, XII, and X-2.[/QUOTE]

Just because a game is successful doesn't mean that an individual might not lose respect for a company who's games they used to like. For instance I liked COD:MW1 but that doesn't mean that I have to buy and love Activision for putting out MW3 because it is even more successful than MW1.

In regards to the current discussion I think it isn't just Japanese companies trying to make western games which is a major issue for JRPGs, I think even when companies are sticking to fairly tried and true JRPG mechanics the games just aren't turning out as well, and often have performance issues or bugs. In general it feels like as tools and development has shifted more to coming from the west (i.e. a lot of game engines) the Japanese developers have been more out of the loop.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Eh, that just reiterates my point.[/QUOTE]

My point is that "downfall" can mean more than one thing. It can be seen as a personal opinion on a company (i.e. the downfall of a company in your eyes) as well as the performance of the company and those two ideas are totally separate.

Sorry I haven't been in this thread lately guys, but I am under lots of stress lately and don't have time or patience for RPGs. I've been playing shoot em ups, Pinball, Cave games and Rock Band 3 :(

I hope I can play them again, because there is some good ones on my shelf I haven't or barely touched, like Shin Megumi Tensi Strange Journey, Shin Megumi Tensi Persona 2, and Adventures to Go!

Or is Adventures to go any good? I read the box and got it cheap at Kmart...

[quote name='Zmonkay']Massive backlog vs desire to show support for Tales (Give us Xillia!!!)...

Also, like the song. Really liked Abyss' opening too, but wasn't such a fan of Vesperia's opening.[/QUOTE]

Ya I haven't even finished Vesperia yet, but I'll get this when it comes out to try and show my support (and see if we can get Xillia!)

Abyss's opening was really rad. I liked Vesperia a lot too though (and I actually think I like the English version better):

[quote name='ihadFG']Game looks good, but oh god that dialogue and voice acting made me cringe. I already have it preordered though since I love the series.[/QUOTE]
Leagues better than Arc Rise Fantasia, which I just started playing earlier.

Not sure how much better the voice acting for that part can get. 8-4 is doing the localization and they done a great job with Vesperia.

That trailer for Graces is alright. The voice actors seem alright so far.

[quote name='icebeast']Abyss's opening was really rad. I liked Vesperia a lot too though (and I actually think I like the English version better):[/QUOTE]

Same here, I love the opening to Abyss and Vesperia(I like the English one slightly more). And Tales of Graces F opening is pretty decent as well.

Indignate: You've got a few months until ToG comes out so why not start Vesperia?

Started Fallout 3 on PS3 and am having trouble with it already. Seems like a competent game, but I never played any of the elder scrolls games. Fallout 3 is my first WRPG. (Aside from Blade Runner on the PC and Fallout 1 on the mac)

[quote name='2DMention']Started Fallout 3 on PS3 and am having trouble with it already. Seems like a competent game, but I never played any of the elder scrolls games. Fallout 3 is my first WRPG. (Aside from Blade Runner on the PC and Fallout 1 on the mac)[/QUOTE]

What in particular are you having trouble with?

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Second clue was that it ends in an R, so the first two possibly.[/QUOTE]

Better be the Growlanser IV remake on PSP then. It's the best in the series and after IV the series went to shit. However I'd love to play (well, replay some of it) it in english.

[quote name='ihadFG']What in particular are you having trouble with?[/QUOTE]

He's playing it on a PS3?

Seriously, Fallout 3 can be a little tough at the start of the game. Once you level up a bit and get some perks it becomes a lot easier to manage.

ho

ly

shyt...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455562

Ks8bk.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

Wait, I thought of one instance where Fallout 3 can be legitimately hard.

You're doing a melee or hand-to-hand build and you do the fire ant quest quickly with no companion other than dogmeat.

Other than that? Yeah. Way more forgiving than previous Fallouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back