RPG Thread XIII-2: Tough Moms Always Die Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='jello44']Now i just need a way to play it...[/QUOTE]

202939068.jpg

...will probably work. I've seen plenty of pics of the game upscaled to HD so yeah, Dolphin if you don't find a good deal on a Wii by then.

[quote name='fwbweux']
202939068.jpg

...will probably work. I've seen plenty of pics of the game upscaled to HD so yeah, Dolphin if you don't find a good deal on a Wii by then.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was leaning towards.

[quote name='themaster20000']Finally got Demon's Souls.What are some good tips for a newcomer to this?[/QUOTE]

Like Icebeast said, Royal class to start for sure.

I'd also recommend using a spear as your primary weapon. You can keep your shield up while using a spear, so when first starting out it can really help you if your timing is off and they hit you while you try to hit them. It's biggest downside is the very narrow forward range. Since it stabs straight ahead, it's not good for mobs, so make sure to lure out enemies one at a time (a generally good idea in the game anyway)

Eventually, I'd recommend moving onto a different weapon with a wider swipe range. Makes it easier to hit enemies, bosses, and crowd control. Master the parry (or riposte if you really want to be fancy, with a rapier, but I think that's too risky) and counterattack. You do this with L2 (I think?) just as the enemy is about to hit you. If you attack after a pary, it's an automatic critical.

Don't eat any "soul" items you find unless you are in the nexus so you can actually use them to level up. Eating them in a stage just increases the risk of you dying, not being able to make it to your bloodstain, and losing them.

Speaking of souls, do not eat boss souls. They are used either for forging unique weapons or getting unique spells / miracles.

In general, suicide in the Nexus (careful not to land on anyone! See next point). You have less health in soul form (half, but there's an HP ring that boosts that to about 3/4 max), but cannot be invaded, and dying in the regular levels in body form shifts it towards black tendency (which makes the level incrementally more difficult). It's technically easier to shift to Pure Black, get the Pure Black bonuses, and then shift to Pure White (as killing the boss of the stage is a huge white side bonus) but I personally didn't care about such things, at least in my first play.

Anyone you kill in the Nexus is dead. For Good. Until NG+. So do not kill Stockpile Thomas, etc. You've got a good heart, don't let them take it from you!

[quote name='icebeast']Chose the Royal class, makes the game a lot easier at the start (in the later game it doesn't matter as much since you will make your character whatever you want them to be). But the Royal starts out at level 1 so you get to change all those stats yourself, plus you start with a fairly good spammable spell and an MP regenerating ring. From there most of it is just figuring out how you like to play the game (watching boss videos before you fight them isn't a terrible idea either, gives you an idea of how to beat them and also what the area where it takes place looks like (if you want to come up with your own strategy, but without trying to do it mid combat)).

This is a good reference for the game as well: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/[/QUOTE]

No, start out as a thief! I did and I was awesome at melee. I also managed to steal icebeast's panties and leveled up.

whoo~!! this was a good weekend for gaming!!

I just got to another satisfactory stopping point in ¡Los Efectos de Masa!

Macaron Shepard!! steal yo panties and level up!!!

now I can go play other games again until I return to this one in a fortnight!!

Not to take the magic out of the game's brutal difficulty, but:

1. Raise shield (if you have one)
2. Run towards enemy
3. Roll away from enemy
4. Study the attack animation
5. Win

Alternatively:

1. Shoot magic until it dies.

Flamelurker is a bitch though.

[quote name='JEKKI']whoo~!! this was a good weekend for gaming!!

I just got to another satisfactory stopping point in ¡Los Efectos de Masa!

Macaron Shepard!! steal yo panties and level up!!!

now I can go play other games again until I return to this one in a fortnight!![/QUOTE]
why are you stopping?! you should just finish the game!
maybe then you'll figure out how to not die, haha

[quote name='panzerfaust']Flamelurker is a bitch though.[/QUOTE]

Easy as hell once you realize there's a pile of bones in the corner (to your left, just as you enter the area) that he essentially glitches and can't get past.

NG: ~30 tries to finally kill the bastard.
NG+: 1st try only half paying attention :D

[quote name='panzerfaust']Flamelurker is a bitch though.[/QUOTE]

What? That was the best fight in the game next to the king. But at least the flamelurker only took me one try... WITHOUT CHEATING! :cool:

Flamelurker used to always be a great place to summon (or be summoned). Dunno if there's many people playing now, though. God I loved Demon's Souls. It was the first game in years that had me so excited that I was thinking about it while at work and couldn't wait to get home to play.

[quote name='distgfx']What? That was the best fight in the game next to the king. But at least the flamelurker only took me one try... WITHOUT CHEATING! :cool:[/QUOTE]

I agree, because they were actually challenging.

Easy as hell once you realize there's a pile of bones in the corner (to your left, just as you enter the area) that he essentially glitches and can't get past.

Breaking the game is a personal choice ;)

[quote name='distgfx']What? That was the best fight in the game next to the king. But at least the flamelurker only took me one try... WITHOUT CHEATING! :cool:[/QUOTE]

I also beat the Flamelurker first try. All I did was take it slow by rolling away from him when would attack, and then attack a little, and repeat.

Now the hardest boss for me was those two gargoyle things. Mainly because I kept rolling off the bridge.

[quote name='ihadFG']I also beat the Flamelurker first try. All I did was take it slow by rolling away from him when would attack, and then attack a little, and repeat.

Now the hardest boss for me was those two gargoyle things. Mainly because I kept rolling off the bridge.[/QUOTE]

I ripped those gargoyles a new one, it was the first time I used magic to defeat an enemy. I put up the guardian shield and then used the flame pillars on those bastards. They went down harder than I do on icebeast every night.

Yeah, I beat them with the flame toss. I still used a lot of herbs though.

Oh, and my favorite boss was the end boss of world 4. So awesome.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yeah, I beat them with the flame toss. I still used a lot of herbs though.

Oh, and my favorite boss was the end boss of world 4. So awesome.[/QUOTE]

Those flame pillars took about 3/4 of one of those bastard's health. Didn't even need a herb, but I used magic because I was too scared of rolling off the edge while fighting them using melee.

Played about two hours last night of Demon's Souls.Other than dieing to some really strong spear solider a few times am doing good so far.Am unsure of where to go now,there's two paths.One leads to two Dragons on a hill that burn you to death if you get close.The other path is on the castle wall where a Dragon comes down and makes its impossible to get across without some fire resistant armor.

[quote name='themaster20000']Played about two hours last night of Demon's Souls.Other than dieing to some really strong spear solider a few times am doing good so far.Am unsure of where to go now,there's two paths.One leads to two Dragons on a hill that burn you to death if you get close.The other path is on the castle wall where a Dragon comes down and makes its impossible to get across without some fire resistant armor.[/QUOTE]

The bridge is the way forward. Sometimes From does a Winter Solstice event where they make the world tendency pure white for a week on Dec 21. If they do that, the dragons won't be at their nest and you can grab their loot with no danger (and the dragon won't fry you on the bridge, either).

I got the game for Xmas so it was pure white when I started, making it easy for me :) Was a big surprise later when I started a new character.

Ugh, I love Demon's Souls so much, I just need to finish it. Just navigating world 5-2 was harder than any boss, I ragequit because of that level a year ago and never picked the game up again.

I also tried to get into Dark Souls but couldn't. Ended up ragequitting that one too, but for different reasons. I chose a Pyromancer build and pumped INT into it only to later read online that INT doesn't affect your "glove" magic, so I had a character who was basically still Lv. 1 because of the worthless INT. I'd already beaten the Taurus Demon at this point (no wonder he was so hard) and didn't want to have to go through that ordeal again so I just said screw it. It also just felt all-around harder than Demon's Souls, and I was already barely keeping my head above water in that game.

i'm nearing the end of the first part of duodecim. it's... a really boring game in the end. i feel like the maps have too many boring easy battles and the loading times are annoying. i'll probably wrap it up soon.

now... what game to start next on the psp? i got 3rd birthday, legend of heroes, and tactics ogre as well during black friday weekend... i think they were all $12.

3rd birthday is a pretty fun shoot-em-up, plenty of camera issues though. TO is a great SRPG with a very polished system, can easily sink a lot of time into that. I dislike the class leveling system though -- you gotta level up the class as a whole instead of individual characters. Makes it a real pain to add a new class to your party.

The story is forgettable, but it has that awesome old english localization Square is so good at :D

[quote name='fwbweux']Ugh, I love Demon's Souls so much, I just need to finish it. Just navigating world 5-2 was harder than any boss, I ragequit because of that level a year ago and never picked the game up again.

I also tried to get into Dark Souls but couldn't. Ended up ragequitting that one too, but for different reasons. I chose a Pyromancer build and pumped INT into it only to later read online that INT doesn't affect your "glove" magic, so I had a character who was basically still Lv. 1 because of the worthless INT. I'd already beaten the Taurus Demon at this point (no wonder he was so hard) and didn't want to have to go through that ordeal again so I just said screw it. It also just felt all-around harder than Demon's Souls, and I was already barely keeping my head above water in that game.[/QUOTE]

The game is tough early on until you ring your first bell. Stick with it and you'll enjoy it a lot.

[quote name='ihadFG']When you say flame pillars, are you talking about firestorm?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, whatever it was called, I didn't memorize the names.

[quote name='kainzero']i'm nearing the end of the first part of duodecim. it's... a really boring game in the end. i feel like the maps have too many boring easy battles and the loading times are annoying. i'll probably wrap it up soon.

now... what game to start next on the psp? i got 3rd birthday, legend of heroes, and tactics ogre as well during black friday weekend... i think they were all $12.[/QUOTE]

TO is pretty good so far, I just started up yesterday. A lot of the issues I had with the original PS1 release seem to be fixed. The class level up sucks for new classes but having generic characters die is less of an issue since you only lose their skill points rather than being forced to level up a new unit from level 1.

Legend of heroes Tears is really generic and poorly translated, I've heard very good things about LoH Trails in the sky though.

oh, i have trails in the sky.

i always tried to play tactics ogre on sfc/psx but got really bored of the training part.

I'm playing through Luminous Arc 2 while I'm at home with the kids this month. Up to Chapter 11 and about 10 hours in. Now I need to decide if I want to grind more to make it through this chapter (The trio of the bosses at the end wiped the floor with me) or just move on.

It's an okay game, but nothing spectacular. It is nice to have a auto and skip button for dialogue scenes though.

So, is anyone else a Lore Whore? I just realized I am, as I have spent ~ 5 hrs in the past few days. Reading books. In Skyrim...

Seriously, I read every manual cover to cover to gleam any bit of lore/backstory present in them, in game codex's (ala Dragon Age) are one of my favorite parts of games, and in old school WRPGs like Baldur's Gate I actually read all the descriptions for the rare weapons.

I also am starting to get into reading companion books (like the Mass Effect and Dragon Age books) that expand on the overall story and lore of the game universe.

[quote name='kainzero']When did Wizardry get so sexy?

http://www.4gamer.net/games/141/G014195/20111205056/

It does say Acquire and not Sirtech though.
I remember people talked up Wizardry VIII but I couldn't get into it at all...[/QUOTE]

The first battle screen looks like the version that's on PSN now. Is this actually a new game?

Edit: What confused me was the 2012 date. Looks like a typo, since the JP bluray version of Labyrinth of Lost Souls comes out December 8, 2011, not 2012.

[quote name='elessar123']The first battle screen looks like the version that's on PSN now. Is this actually a new game?

Edit: What confused me was the 2012 date. Looks like a typo, since the JP bluray version of Labyrinth of Lost Souls comes out December 8, 2011, not 2012.[/QUOTE]
Looks like there's two PSN games (Labyrinth of Lost Souls, and... I guess another game that wasn't localized here, City of the Imprisoned Dead or something.)

Also a bonus dungeon.

I was just surprised at the art.

[quote name='fwbweux']Ugh, I love Demon's Souls so much, I just need to finish it. Just navigating world 5-2 was harder than any boss, I ragequit because of that level a year ago and never picked the game up again.

I also tried to get into Dark Souls but couldn't. Ended up ragequitting that one too, but for different reasons. I chose a Pyromancer build and pumped INT into it only to later read online that INT doesn't affect your "glove" magic, so I had a character who was basically still Lv. 1 because of the worthless INT. I'd already beaten the Taurus Demon at this point (no wonder he was so hard) and didn't want to have to go through that ordeal again so I just said screw it. It also just felt all-around harder than Demon's Souls, and I was already barely keeping my head above water in that game.[/QUOTE]

Actually, INT does affect pyromancy, it just doesn't right away. You have to level your flame up before it does.

So a few months ago I started Nier, got 4 hours in and stopped. Well I started a new game a few days ago and I am loving this game. Don't know why I stopped earlier, but I have just reached part 2. Now I'm looking forward to upgrading some weapons and fishing.

^ Good to hear you're enjoying Nier. Did you notice the homages towards other other games? What hit my heart strings the most was the father/daughter relationship since I had just become a father. Oddly enough my girl is named Yuna, very similar to Yona in this game, so it really drew me in. I liked the fact that I could relate to a main character for once.

It upsets me a little that the Japanese version felt the need to implement a younger main character as Yona's brother instead of the father/daughter story. God forbid a non-girly middle aged main character.

It also has some great music. I need to pick up the soundtrack someday. Here's one of my favorite tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ttw1JCEiZE

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ChibiJosh']Actually, INT does affect pyromancy, it just doesn't right away. You have to level your flame up before it does.[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn't. It claims to scale with INT, but many tests by many players have shown that increasing your INT does not increase pyro damage.

[quote name='Zmonkay']So, is anyone else a Lore Whore? I just realized I am, as I have spent ~ 5 hrs in the past few days. Reading books. In Skyrim...

Seriously, I read every manual cover to cover to gleam any bit of lore/backstory present in them, in game codex's (ala Dragon Age) are one of my favorite parts of games, and in old school WRPGs like Baldur's Gate I actually read all the descriptions for the rare weapons.

I also am starting to get into reading companion books (like the Mass Effect and Dragon Age books) that expand on the overall story and lore of the game universe.[/QUOTE]

Have you played Dark Souls? The entire story (aside from a small intro movie) is told through in-game item descriptions and short interactions with NPCs, so one of the fun things is trying to piece together the lore and story for it (especially regarding the morally abiguous ending choices - which one is the "right' one?). Lots of threads all over the internets where people are working together to figure it out.

Edit: Here's a little article talking about it (and comparing its story-telling method to Skyrim, for some reason): http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-07-telling-tales-skyrim-and-dark-souls-article

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rodimus']^ Good to hear you're enjoying Nier. Did you notice the homages towards other other games? What hit my heart strings the most was the father/daughter relationship since I had just become a father. Oddly enough my girl is named Yuna, very similar to Yona in this game, so it really drew me in. I liked the fact that I could relate to a main character for once.[/quote]

Yeah, it is nice that the main character is an adult for once.

It also has some great music. I need to pick up the soundtrack someday. Here's one of my favorite tracks:

That's the other reason why I'm attracted to Nier. I've played a little bit, but I need to get back to it to play some more.

There was a demo of one of the new PSN wizardry games a few months ago. I tried it, and it was too old-school for me.

I think it required the use of torches to 'see' and didnt have an automap.
I'm too old and dont have the patience for that anymore.

(The original Wizardry was in black and white on the Apple II)

[quote name='Rodimus']I have a theory that comedians write reviews for Famitsu cause it's too funny.[/QUOTE]
It would certainly explain why I can't take their scores seriously anymore.

Just beat the Tower Knight,the guy is a joke if you got a magic or a ranged weapon.Wasn't really making any progress for awhile since I was trying each area out,and with the game just being so relentless.Awesome game so far though.

Looking back, I have no idea how I actually beat most of the bosses in Demon's Souls without cheesing them. I had a Sticky Compound Longbow +5 about as early as I could in the game with the intention of doing this, but every time I made it to a boss I couldn't keep from just rushing in headlong with a close-range weapon. I think I just hacked at the Tower Knight's ankles with a mace until he died, hah.

(and all this without realizing that I was overburdened a lot of the game. I could only kind of run and could only roll slowly.)

Well, Gust has been bought by Koei Tecmo. This news really depresses me because I think my current favorite RPG series is the Atelier series, and I don't have high hopes that it will stay as great as it has been.

[quote name='Rodimus']^ Good to hear you're enjoying Nier. Did you notice the homages towards other other games? What hit my heart strings the most was the father/daughter relationship since I had just become a father. Oddly enough my girl is named Yuna, very similar to Yona in this game, so it really drew me in. I liked the fact that I could relate to a main character for once.[/QUOTE]

With a main character I can relate to, it makes the game much more powerful. The game so far has been very depressing, which I really enjoy. The game knows when to pack some emotion into the story through little things.

Very tiny spoilers below that don't ruin the main story:

In part 2, I was going around talking to NPCs and I talked to the old woman by the fountain. I made no connection to the fact that the kids were missing, I just figured they were playing somewhere else.

Well when the tavern-keeper said she went a little funny after the kids died, it finally hit me . The world became far darker than I thought a game could without seeming forced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back