RPG Thread XIII-2: Tough Moms Always Die Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='cindersphere']If anybody in this thread has played Xenoblade, is it worth importing and making my wii import friendly or is it passable?[/QUOTE]

A few people are saying it's one , if not the best console RPGs this gen.

[quote name='jello44']A few people are saying it's one , if not the best console RPGs this gen.[/QUOTE]

It's up against what, FFXIII and Resonance of Fate?

*ducks*

Can't tell if being sarcastic, but I fucking loved Lost Odyssey.

And to the question at hand: Yes, Xenoblade is 100% worth it. soooooo fucking stupid of Nintendo to not bring it here (unless they are waiting for some stupid reason, just so they can say they haven't abandoned the Wii... which they have)

Well, looks like Xenoblade Chronicles is coming over after all.

Hopefully Nintendo of America will simultaneously be releasing some compensation for those of us who imported it from Europe while they were being such noncommittal douchebags about it. :roll:

[quote name='bvharris']Well, looks like Xenoblade Chronicles is coming over after all.

Hopefully Nintendo of America will simultaneously be releasing some compensation for those of us who imported it from Europe while they were being such noncommittal douchebags about it. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Always the price for those who need a game now, rather than waiting.

In any case, it is good news. It is too bad it took something like this for it to happen.

I had a feeling it would come eventually. Glad I waited.

Now I just need The Last story and I will take my pants off and run around.

[quote name='The Crotch']Valkyria Chronicles and Fire Emblem?[/QUOTE]

This guy, right here. VC is still my RPG of the gen, and Fire Emblem at its worst is better than most JRPGs at their best.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Don't forget the perfection that is Lost Odyssey.

Perfection.

There is nothing wrong with that game.[/QUOTE]

Two or three of the Thousand Years of Memories segments were enough for me to seriously consider taking up alcoholism. It may be a perfect game, but it's also a potentially hazardous game, hah.

[quote name='blueshinra']Nintendo is such a troll, eh? :razz:

ETA: Also, it might be exclusive to GameStop and Nintendo's online store.[/QUOTE]

2vtxj7k.gif

How is refusing to localize anything with more than a few lines of text, responding to a massive fan movement with two lines of text on twitter, and then releasing the game when everyone who wanted it has already imported it trolling?

Reggie's just trying to keep you safe from scary foreign games that might hurt Nintendo's image, man.

[quote name='fwbweux']Reggie's just trying to keep you safe from scary foreign games that might hurt Nintendo's image, man.[/QUOTE]
But of course!

I'm going to have to play a demo of Xenoblade before biting on it, since the battle system doesn't sound like my kind of thing. However, this being Nintendo, there won't be a demo.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Always the price for those who need a game now, rather than waiting.
[/QUOTE]

My comment was obviously tongue-in-cheek, but nothing forced Nintendo's hand into acting like they didn't give a crap about it for the past six months.

If NoA had just come out and said they planned to bring it over here, even if they didn't give a release date, instead of stringing people along a lot of those who went out and imported it/hacked their Wii would probably not have done so. They'd given every indication they had no intention of releasing it, so it wasn't just impatience which lead people to import.

[quote name='bvharris']My comment was obviously tongue-in-cheek, but nothing forced Nintendo's hand into acting like they didn't give a crap about it for the past six months.

If NoA had just come out and said they planned to bring it over here, even if they didn't give a release date, instead of stringing people along a lot of those who went out and imported it/hacked their Wii would probably not have done so. They'd given every indication they had no intention of releasing it, so it wasn't just impatience which lead people to import.[/QUOTE]

Course, you assume up til now that they planned on releasing it in the US all along. Personally, I believe the statement at the time that they had no plans of releasing the game here, which doesn't eliminate the possibility of future plans. In situations like these, companies tend to be conservative about what they say in public to try to avoid backlash if things don't come out the way they plan.

So, what has changed? Was it the campaign by fans to get them to release it? Was it sales in Europe? Was it Gamestop stepping up to the plate to push for it? Was it a combination of the above? To be honest, we probably will never know.

I mean, how much could it possibly cost to localize it? It's already in english... So they to need to do what, marketing/printing/shipping? Would be an interesting question to ask.

I wonder how many people already imported or pirated as a result of this...

I remember making this crappy photoshop a long time ago when I was discussing what Xenoblade would look like if NoA ever localized it:

2w2h1tu.png

Looks like they're going the complete opposite direction of finding ways to market it to casuals, though, and just discreetly hiding their shame behind a limited release, hah.

The extra Us in the dialogue do need to go.

Awww crap. Now, once it doesn't sell well, they'll be all "See?! We told you nobody would buy it"
Not taking into account:
1. Most people who really wanted it / would have bought it already imported it when they said it was for sure not coming here.

2. It's exclusive to Gamestop. I'm sure store exclusive games have helped in the past. Look at Sneakers on Xbox (TRU Exclusive), or Chibi Robo Park Patrol on DS (Walmart Exclusive)...

fucking Nintendo...

[quote name='Zmonkay']Awww crap. Now, once it doesn't sell well, they'll be all "See?! We told you nobody would buy it"
Not taking into account:
1. Most people who really wanted it / would have bought it already imported it when they said it was for sure not coming here.

2. It's exclusive to Gamestop. I'm sure store exclusive games have helped in the past. Look at Sneakers on Xbox (TRU Exclusive), or Chibi Robo Park Patrol on DS (Walmart Exclusive)...

fucking Nintendo...[/QUOTE]

Not to mention there will probably be like no marketing for it.

They are setting it up for failure.

[quote name='The Crotch']They gotta go through and remove all the extra "u"s from words, panzer.[/QUOTE]
not to mention, replacing "lift" with "elevator," "trunk" with "bonnet," and so forth!

they have to spell "maths" as "math!"

If that shitty GS bunny is anywhere on the box art, Reggie's getting a flaming bag of Metroid: Other M discs on his porch.

[quote name='kainzero']not to mention, replacing "lift" with "elevator," "trunk" with "bonnet," and so forth!

they have to spell "maths" as "math!"[/QUOTE]
Also, changing "garage" to "car hole".

[quote name='The Crotch']Also, changing "garage" to "car hole".[/QUOTE]

[quote name='The Crotch']Well ooh-la-dee-da, Mr. French Man.[/QUOTE]

I am uninterested in recent RPGs but I still check this thread. Thank you for making it worth my while.

[quote name='ihadFG']Well they'll probably redo all the voice acting as well for American English.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't look like they intend to do that. Which I'm fine with, having played it with the British accents I can't imagine it any other way. The VA, for the most part, is very good.

yo this is sum 2000 and late bullocks rite here!!

I already imported that shyt like 3 days ago!!

I'm gonna play it in my flat and take breaks to go to the loo, or to eat tea and crumpets.

it's gonna be ace!

[quote name='Draekon']It's a Gamestop exclusive? fuck you Nintendo. No seriously, fuck you.[/QUOTE]

As per the previously provided links, you should be able to buy it directly from Nintendo. That'll be my intention.

[quote name='Twilight Sparkle']As per the previously provided links, you should be able to buy it directly from Nintendo. That'll be my intention.[/QUOTE]

I try to not click many links from work if possible, however that's good though. I've never seen Nintendo.com sell retail games before in their store, but no complaints here that they're going to be offering it starting 12/19 for pre-order.

[quote name='pete5883']I think Electroplankton was originally only available in their store. Pokemon Box, as well.[/QUOTE]

I'd forgotten about Electroplankton! That was great, imho. So unique, and a lot of fun to just mess around with.

[quote name='bvharris']It doesn't look like they intend to do that. Which I'm fine with, having played it with the British accents I can't imagine it any other way. The VA, for the most part, is very good.[/QUOTE]

Finally, it's going to be Reyn Time for everyone come April.

Luminous Arc 2 on the :ds: is okay. But like most SRPGs it has way too many cutscenes/dialogue to actual combat or gameplay.

At about chapter 5 and most of the battles seem pretty simple so far. I don't even understand (or need) the engagement system yet.

[quote name='pete5883']I think Electroplankton was originally only available in their store. Pokemon Box, as well.[/QUOTE]

Pokemon Box was only on Nintendo's website and Pokemon Store.

Electroplankton is online only but from retailer as well.

[quote name='themaster20000']Finally got Demon's Souls.What are some good tips for a newcomer to this?[/QUOTE]

Chose the Royal class, makes the game a lot easier at the start (in the later game it doesn't matter as much since you will make your character whatever you want them to be). But the Royal starts out at level 1 so you get to change all those stats yourself, plus you start with a fairly good spammable spell and an MP regenerating ring. From there most of it is just figuring out how you like to play the game (watching boss videos before you fight them isn't a terrible idea either, gives you an idea of how to beat them and also what the area where it takes place looks like (if you want to come up with your own strategy, but without trying to do it mid combat)).

This is a good reference for the game as well: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back