RPG Thread XVI Supports Project Eternity's Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='cindersphere']Been busy and working. Anyway I finally have some free time to start hacking away at my collection and finally replaced my stolen 360. Thinking about playing Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, or Blue Dragon. Anybody have any thoughts on these, or suggestions for other xbox rpg's I should take a look at first?[/QUOTE]

I loved Vesperia, a lot. I've played most of the Tales games and that's my favorite. Blue Dragon is a perfectly solid kind of old school rpg (think DQ with good graphics). I wasn't really able to get into Lost Odyssey.

[quote name='Erad30']Anybody else playing (or has played) Xenoblade Chronicles? I'm nearly 50 hours in, enjoying quite a bit, but anybody have reccomendations on what are the best arts for the characters? I'm always torn on what to keep and what to get rid of. My usual party is Shulk/Dunban/Sharla, but I experiment a bit with different parties as well.[/QUOTE]

A bunch of us did/are.

I made it about 40 hours in before I stopped playing that and picked up The Last Story. Made it about 20 hours into that before I stopped.

For arts, Shulk is easy, since I think he gets just enough arts to fill up the slots and nothing more. For Dunban, the AI will only use a second aura once the first has timed-out, so you'll probably want to set him up with only two that he can alternate back and forth from. I would recommend Peerless and Serene Heart. You'll probably want to have him set up with his other aggro increasing abilities as well and you should have Gale Slash, Gutbuster, Steel Strike in there so he can topple on his own (not sure how effective the AI is at doing this however).

I don't really use Sharla much, but it'll probably be best just to load her up with healing arts and her daze and break abilities.

[quote name='Erad30']Anybody else playing (or has played) Xenoblade Chronicles? I'm nearly 50 hours in, enjoying quite a bit, but anybody have reccomendations on what are the best arts for the characters? I'm always torn on what to keep and what to get rid of. My usual party is Shulk/Dunban/Sharla, but I experiment a bit with different parties as well.[/QUOTE]

I'm only 30 hours in, but I find that Shulk/Sharla/Rhyn is the best way to go for me. Maybe I just don't like change but their my best group and seem to work the best as a unit.

I say worse as it goes on because the beginning of the game is largely void of a narrative, and is more focused on the memory stories and center characters. That's Lost Odyssey at its best, before it sinks back into typical JRPG fare.

[quote name='Indignate']A bunch of us did/are.

I made it about 40 hours in before I stopped playing that and picked up The Last Story. Made it about 20 hours into that before I stopped.

.[/QUOTE]

Did you import Last Story? I thought it wasn't out til July 10th?

[quote name='KtMack23']I'm only 30 hours in, but I find that Shulk/Sharla/Rhyn is the best way to go for me. Maybe I just don't like change but their my best group and seem to work the best as a unit.[/QUOTE]
I found that Dunban made a much better tank than Reyn, and that he didn't really... need Sharla's help.

Has anyone on CAG finished Xenoblade? I want to believe all the recommendations but everyone seems to be procrastinating on the game.

Of course I know you all have lives, but come on!

Check out the thread about the game in the Wii forum. People there have finished it.

Game is long and filled with tons of mostly meaningless side quest that you can spend quite some time going through if you're a completionist.

You should definitely give it a shot Panzer, one of the better RPGs of this generation and it's on the Wii!

Well I work full time, am married to a gamer (who is currently spending lots of hours on Rune Factory Frontier) and have a solid backlog of rpgs. After Xenoblade I still have Skyward Sword, FFXIII-2 Disgaea 4 Tales of Graces F and Valkyria Chronicles. I'm only getting Last Story right away because it'll be hard to get if I wait. After that I probably won't be getting any more rpgs til the new Paper Mario.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Has anyone on CAG finished Xenoblade? I want to believe all the recommendations but everyone seems to be procrastinating on the game.

Of course I know you all have lives, but come on![/QUOTE]
Haven't finished it. I have a good excuse.

Now finish Planescape Torment, dammit.

Hell I had to make a pretty dedicated effort or I'd still be working on Kingdoms of Amalur & Skyrim-Pretty much just rushed through those without doing much in the way of sidequests, still spent about 50 hours on each though so I got my money's worth.

[quote name='Erad30']Well I work full time, am married to a gamer (who is currently spending lots of hours on Rune Factory Frontier) and have a solid backlog of rpgs. After Xenoblade I still have Skyward Sword, FFXIII-2 Disgaea 4 Tales of Graces F and Valkyria Chronicles. I'm only getting Last Story right away because it'll be hard to get if I wait. After that I probably won't be getting any more rpgs til the new Paper Mario.[/QUOTE]

You think that's a bad RPG backlog? Look what I got, I own all of these and have not played any of them outside of confirming they work:

PS2:
Dot Hack parts 1-4
Dot Hack G.U. Volumes 1-3
Inuyasha: The Secret of the cursed mask
Monster Rancher 3
Monster Rancher Evo
Kingdom Hearts I&II
Persona 3 FES
Persona 4
Rogue Galaxy
Wild Arms 4
Xenosaga 1-3

Gamecube:
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Tales of Symphonia

360:
Fable II
Final fantasy 13&13-2
Record of Aragrast War Zero
Tales of Vespara

PS3:
Atelier Rorona, Totori, and Meruru

Portable:
Dissidia 012
Final FantasyIV
Jeane d'arc
Persona I&II
Devil Survivor Over clocked
Dragon Quest V
Mario and Luigi Bowsers Inside story
Kingdom Hearts RE Chain of Memories

Needless to say, I'm behind.

Well I said solid not massive. But in a good week I probably get about 10-15 hours of gaming in. It can be different if I'm really into a game (blasted through ME3 in about a week), but honestly the rest of the year looks fairly bleak rpg-wise so I'm pretty content to take my time.

[quote name='KtMack23']You think that's a bad RPG backlog? Look what I got, I own all of these and have not played any of them outside of confirming they work:

PS2:
Dot Hack parts 1-4
Dot Hack G.U. Volumes 1-3
Inuyasha: The Secret of the cursed mask
Monster Rancher 3
Monster Rancher Evo
Kingdom Hearts I&II
Persona 3 FES
Persona 4
Rogue Galaxy
Wild Arms 4
Xenosaga 1-3

Gamecube:
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Tales of Symphonia

360:
Fable II
Final fantasy 13&13-2
Record of Aragrast War Zero
Tales of Vespara

PS3:
Atelier Rorona, Totori, and Meruru

Portable:
Dissidia 012
Final FantasyIV
Jeane d'arc
Persona I&II
Devil Survivor Over clocked
Dragon Quest V
Mario and Luigi Bowsers Inside story
Kingdom Hearts RE Chain of Memories

Needless to say, I'm behind.
[/QUOTE]

Are we doing this? Do we really want to bring out the backlogs?

No, no we don't. It can only create sadness.

Yeah Crotch, I'll get back to Planescape now -- think I'll be using a guide because I always forget what my last clues were.

And that's the only game I really have in my backlog, because I gave up on Breath of Fire IV. No game deserves a camera like that.

Another one with a huge RPG backlog. I have played 12 hours of Xenoblade, but I'm also trying to finish a bunch of other games. I also still need to go back and finish FFX and Persona 3, which are pretty close to being done.

I'm really trying to focus one one at a time, that can help. Not saying I won't get distracted, that's how a backlog happens, but as I said the rpg release list for the rest of the year looks incredibly barren, so I have a good chance of getting through my current list before picking anything new up.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Yeah Crotch, I'll get back to Planescape now -- think I'll be using a guide because I always forget what my last clues were.[/QUOTE]
PST does have a really good journal, so that shouldn't be too big a problem.

Though there's lots of shit that's really easy to miss without a guide. I didn't hit the modron cube on my first run (which is good, I guess, because that place is long and terrible by design, though the companion you pick up there is cool), and it's hard to get to the Paranoid's maze if you don't know what you're doing.

EDIT: It's also fairly easy to change your alignment - at least, the lawful-chaotic part of it - without even realizing you're doing lawful/chaotic actions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I was not at all interested in Pokemon Conquest until now because i just learned it's turn-based strategy. That's awesome I devour turn-based strategy games on portables, played the hell out of Ghost Recon on my 3DS and been itching for something else turn-based ever since. Also perfect because I'm going to California for a week a couple days after that comes out and could sorely use a new game for the trip.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Has anyone on CAG finished Xenoblade? I want to believe all the recommendations but everyone seems to be procrastinating on the game.

Beat it as in seen the credits roll? Yep. Though the ending was kind of a slog and the last batch of bosses are absurdly difficult (though I didn't feel like grinding more so that could be why).

Beat it as in 100%? God no. Way to much to do in that damned game. Barely even touched the Colony 6 stuff. I was missing 1 item from every upgrade category, and I think you could only get them through trading. I never traded with anyone, so didn't feel like hunting around for someone with the right items.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Beat it as in seen the credits roll? Yep. Though the ending was kind of a slog and the last batch of bosses are absurdly difficult (though I didn't feel like grinding more so that could be why).

Beat it as in 100%? God no. Way to much to do in that damned game. Barely even touched the Colony 6 stuff. I was missing 1 item from every upgrade category, and I think you could only get them through trading. I never traded with anyone, so didn't feel like hunting around for someone with the right items.[/QUOTE]
Where the bosses on a higher level than you? Cause I've found the bosses so far to be a brease as long as I'm around two levels higher.

[quote name='KtMack23']Where the bosses on a higher level than you? Cause I've found the bosses so far to be a brease as long as I'm around two levels higher.[/QUOTE]

About the same +/- 2 levels. They just have absurd HP. It wasn't "difficult" per se, just tedious to kill em.

The game does a really stupid thing with enemy levels in that you can't even hit enemies that are, I think, 5 levels higher than you. So if all of a sudden a boss comes up that's 5 levels higher, you can't even try and tough it out. You just plain won't touch them.

I haven't tried it myself but people say with the proper setup you can easily beat guys 20 levels higher than you. And yeah, I'm probably on the last 3rd of the story and haven't done a whole lot of sidequests and haven't even started on colony 6 (don't even really know how, figured it would just happen in the story at some point, but hasn't yet). I do plan to go and do a bunch right before the end since that might help me level a bit.

Finally beat ME3 this weekend, plat'd on the first playthrough which was actually pretty easy. Think I'll go back to the old thread and find the ME3 banter I skipped over. The ending was crap, but it's looking better since I read up on the indoctrination theory.
I'm just gonna believe that its all a dream after harbringer hits sheph with the lazer. The whole stargaer part is cool with me thou because I've read a few different interpretations for it, which seems to go with the spirit of the series and making choices

Now back to Digital Devil Saga, 15 hours into it and its pretty good. Darker more serious story dungeon crawler with a pretty high encounter rate. Like the voice acting except for Cielos jamaican accent... really? Is that suppose to be the comic relief?

[quote name='raiden_86'] Now back to Digital Devil Saga, 15 hours into it and its pretty good. Darker more serious story dungeon crawler with a pretty high encounter rate. Like the voice acting except for Cielos jamaican accent... really? Is that suppose to be the comic relief?[/QUOTE]
I don't think so, I think they just didn't want the guy with giant dreads to talk like just another white guy.

Yeah, Cielo's not really comic relief. I like him as a character, but that accent!

Played through Breath of Death VII this weekend; the whole thing took me around eight hours. Being a parody RPG, it's a very silly game, with lots of references. I felt that the monster difficulty was a little unbalanced at times when going between certain areas, and the music doesn't loop cleanly. Still, I had a good time with it.

[quote name='raiden_86']Finally beat ME3 this weekend, plat'd on the first playthrough which was actually pretty easy. Think I'll go back to the old thread and find the ME3 banter I skipped over. The ending was crap, but it's looking better since I read up on the indoctrination theory.
I'm just gonna believe that its all a dream after harbringer hits sheph with the lazer. The whole stargaer part is cool with me thou because I've read a few different interpretations for it, which seems to go with the spirit of the series and making choices

Now back to Digital Devil Saga, 15 hours into it and its pretty good. Darker more serious story dungeon crawler with a pretty high encounter rate. Like the voice acting except for Cielos jamaican accent... really? Is that suppose to be the comic relief?[/QUOTE]

You think it's dark now, just wait til you get to DDS2.

I'm at the last dungeon of that game and it's all like "WHOA".

[quote name='pete5883']I don't think so, I think they just didn't want the guy with giant dreads to talk like just another white guy.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing because it's a white guy voice doing a terrible Jamaican accent. :p

(He was also Teddie in P4)

[quote name='jello44']Funny thing because it's a white guy voice doing a terrible Jamaican accent. :p

(He was also Teddie in P4)[/QUOTE]

Don't you dare say that you don't like Teddie's voice...

Angry_Teddie.gif

[quote name='icebeast']Don't you dare say that you don't like Teddie's voice...[/QUOTE]

English was fine.

Japanese? HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO.

I asked in the Niche deals thread, but I'll ask it here one time and then let it go. Does anyone have any opinions on the upcoming PSP game, Gungnir? I'm really on the fence about picking it up, and right now am leaning on giving it a pass.

As for what I'm playing, I'm alternating between Xenoblade Chronicles and Radiant Historia. Easily the best pair of RPGs I've played at the same time for quite awhile. :D

[quote name='jello44']English was fine.

Japanese? HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO.[/QUOTE]

I don't agree, in Japanese when he is in his outfit his voice reminds me of Doraemon (who I love), and his human form sounds cute (Note there are probably spoilers in the video if you understand Japanese).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBsCBOqSWiQ

I'm not really procrastinating, I really want to play more, I just don't have much time. Every chance I get I'm playing it, but yeah it's long. I'm at the 95 hour mark right now. Expecting a huge sense of accomplishment when I finally do beat this monster of a game.

I have Tales of Graces on it's way. Plan on starting that up after I finish Xenoblade. I keep hearing the story and characters is your typical "young goody goody kids saving the world." Not looking forward to that but I've never been disapointed in a Tales games.

[quote name='Rodimus']Not looking forward to that but I've never been disapointed in a Tales games.[/QUOTE]

You must not have have played Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. Disappointing is probably the best word I could use to describe my feelings on that game.

Yeah, that was just bad. Legendia wasn't very good either. Pretty much every other one I've enjoyed so far, though I barely got started on F, I'm really really trying to finish one rpg at a time and right now it's Xenoblade.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I liked Legendia. Has the best music and characters out of any of the Tales games.[/QUOTE]
I liked Legendia as well, and yes, the music is wonderful (liked it enough to buy the soundtrack). Not too crazy about the character designs, but the characters themselves were great.

[quote name='blueshinra']I liked Legendia as well, and yes, the music is wonderful (liked it enough to buy the soundtrack). Not too crazy about the character designs, but the characters themselves were great.[/QUOTE]

I'll third this. Fantastic OST and the characters were genuinely interesting, funny, and had fantastic chemistry between the entire group. Could be the low expectations I went into it with, but I really liked it.

Did not like the character quests (aka the second half of the game) but whatevs.

[quote name='icebeast']You must not have have played Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. Disappointing is probably the best word I could use to describe my feelings on that game.[/QUOTE]

How did I forgot about this? I guess I try and block it out of my memory, but you're right, it was beyond disappointing.

Also was Tales of Hearts considered a Tales game? Never played it but heard bad things about that too.

Never played Legendia either, but from what I hear it's one of the weaker titles, but don't hear people say the flat out hated it though.

[quote name='Rodimus']How did I forgot about this? I guess I try and block it out of my memory, but you're right, it was beyond disappointing.

Also was Tales of Hearts considered a Tales game? Never played it but heard bad things about that too.

Never played Legendia either, but from what I hear it's one of the weaker titles, still not a bad game though.[/QUOTE]

Hearts was never localized and I'd consider it a more main series title based on how the gameplay was. I don't recall it being terrible at all, but possibly sub-par for the series. Though I think there might have been a fan translation for it, I don't remember. As a note, I didn't actually play Hearts, only Innocence which I didn't play too far into. Maybe I should try going back to it.

You'll likely dislike the theme of Graces. However the gameplay is solid (although quite a bit different than you're used to) and the last bit of the game is probably the most fun.

One of these days I'll play a Tales game. I do have Tales From The Abyss on my to-be-played pile, but I need to finish some of my partially completed RPGs first.

At the dark world part of DQ 6. Hopefully can finish this off by the end of June.
Then maybe Devil Surviovr 2.

Does the PSP mostly just have turn-based strategy RPGS? It loolks like it has several I wouldnt mind trying.

[quote name='Draekon']You'll likely dislike the theme of Graces. However the gameplay is solid (although quite a bit different than you're used to) and the last bit of the game is probably the most fun.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I'm banking on. I think I can tolerate a cliched story with a few annoying characters if the typical Tales gameplay is there.

All the characters are really pretty... too pretty...

[quote name='eldergamer']
Does the PSP mostly just have turn-based strategy RPGS? It loolks like it has several I wouldnt mind trying.[/QUOTE]

I'd say it has a good mix of A,SRPGs and traditional RPGs, however a decent number are PS1,2,DS ports or remakes so how much is actually new to you can vary. Personally I've slowly been playing through the PS1 classics again (wild arms, suikoden, arc the lad, xenogears, Lunar, Grandia, etc.)

[quote name='eldergamer']
Does the PSP mostly just have turn-based strategy RPGS? It loolks like it has several I wouldnt mind trying.[/QUOTE]

It's got lots of great RPGs in general. For strategy RPGs though, you can't do better. I'd start with Jeanne D'Arc (assuming you've already played FFT), it's a great game.

[quote name='KtMack23']Speaking of PSP SRPGs, anyone else pick up the new Gungnir?[/QUOTE]

Of course, but it's not really in my short list of games to play. It's the same series as Yggdra Union, Knight in the Nightmare, and Riviera.

I started playing White Knight Chronicles cuz what's another RPG to add to my ongoing games?

It's alright. All the people look fuckin weird though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back