RPG Thread XVI Supports Project Eternity's Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Indignate']I started playing White Knight Chronicles cuz what's another RPG to add to my ongoing games?

It's alright. All the people look fuckin weird though.[/QUOTE]

Madonna boob weird?

So is it just me or is there no big rpgs due out the rest of this year? I mean after Last Story the only ones I can even think of are Kingdom Hearts 3D & Paper Mario.

I played White, which was great; it was my third main-series Pokemon, and easily the best and most different. The basic formula's much the same, but the main game's a bit more compact, the story is good and interesting, and it has some surprisingly epic moments (it is one of a very few number of games that have literally taken my breath away).

[quote name='elessar123']Of course, but it's not really in my short list of games to play. It's the same series as Yggdra Union, Knight in the Nightmare, and Riviera.[/QUOTE]

Ya haha I got it too, but I can see this game sitting sealed on my shelf for a long time.

[quote name='blueshinra']the story is good and interesting, and it has some surprisingly epic moments (it is one of a very few number of games that have literally taken my breath away).[/QUOTE]
Dammit, I don't need something else for the backlog :whistle2:#

[quote name='Erad30']So is it just me or is there no big rpgs due out the rest of this year? I mean after Last Story the only ones I can even think of are Kingdom Hearts 3D & Paper Mario.[/QUOTE]

Persona 4 Golden

I ended up cancelling my order for Gungnir. I figured I'd try to get it cheaper down the road as I didn't read a lot of really positive reviews of the game. If it disappears before then, I won't be too upset about missing out.

I'm debating about using a $10 Gamestop coupon to pick up a second copy of Persona for PSP in order to keep my special edition copy sealed. You know, should I ever decide to actually play any of my games.

[quote name='Erad30']So is it just me or is there no big rpgs due out the rest of this year? I mean after Last Story the only ones I can even think of are Kingdom Hearts 3D & Paper Mario.[/QUOTE]

I think Fable the Journey is coming out this year, the South Park game, and Unchained Blades are the only ones I can think of besides those two. They are remaking little kings story though.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']I ended up cancelling my order for Gungnir. I figured I'd try to get it cheaper down the road as I didn't read a lot of really positive reviews of the game. If it disappears before then, I won't be too upset about missing out.

I'm debating about using a $10 Gamestop coupon to pick up a second copy of Persona for PSP in order to keep my special edition copy sealed. You know, should I ever decide to actually play any of my games.[/QUOTE]
But it is so fun to open special editions.

[quote name='Indignate']I started playing White Knight Chronicles cuz what's another RPG to add to my ongoing games?

It's alright. All the people look fuckin weird though.[/QUOTE]

I could not get into that game. I wish I could have, but it just bothered me after the first few hours.

Just a quick question for anyone who has played FF-XIII-2. I'm looking to jump in tomorrow probably if not next week. Should I just completely hold off on DLC? I have 950 MSP (Blegh stupid odd number -_-) and for sure am planning to get the Lightning one that supposedly ties up the ending. I don't plan to actually get it until I finish the game since the description actually says it contains major spoilers.

Is Sazh the only other one that has a story? I didn't care too much for him in the first game so if it's just some backstory on him then I can probably get by. Maybe this would have been better off in the dedicated thread :x Oh well!

[quote name='momouchi']I could not get into that game. I wish I could have, but it just bothered me after the first few hours.[/QUOTE]

It's starting to bother me as I get more abilities. The AI is beyond stupid in this game. You have to micromanage way to much to make them somewhat competent.

I'm going to keep going, but it really makes me want to go back to Xenoblade.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']Just a quick question for anyone who has played FF-XIII-2. I'm looking to jump in tomorrow probably if not next week. Should I just completely hold off on DLC? I have 950 MSP (Blegh stupid odd number -_-) and for sure am planning to get the Lightning one that supposedly ties up the ending. I don't plan to actually get it until I finish the game since the description actually says it contains major spoilers.

Is Sazh the only other one that has a story? I didn't care too much for him in the first game so if it's just some backstory on him then I can probably get by. Maybe this would have been better off in the dedicated thread :x Oh well![/QUOTE]

I haven't played all the DLC myself, but I hear most of the extra content is tough encounters you won't be able to handle until you've completed everything else anyways. So you won't have to worry about it for a while. And personally I was never interested in the story based DLC because the ending was quite silly, as was much of the plot. From a narrative standpoint I don't think the game has much value to fans of XIII, similar to X-2. Revisiting the world is very cool, though.

See how you like the game first and complete all the side stuff, might take 60 or so hours to get through just that. It's pretty fun stuff, just don't take it too seriously.

I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else who has played Digital Devil Saga 2.

Alright, so I'm on the last boss, the very last part of him, nearly fucking dead. He did what is probably his "ultimate" move. While this is happening, all this garbled text appeared on the top part of the screen and afterwards, total party wipe. I was pretty pissed off because it was the second time it happened during the same battle, but it didn't nearly do as much damage the first time. I'm 99% positive that I had all buffs/debuffs off, so I don't think that was it.

Needless to say, I'm pretty miffed, nearly done with this fucking game, especially after all the frustration of the previous fucking boss, who seemed to be harder than the final boss.

[quote name='cindersphere']I think Fable the Journey is coming out this year, the South Park game, and Unchained Blades are the only ones I can think of besides those two. They are remaking little kings story though.

But it is so fun to open special editions.[/QUOTE]

I am excited about South Park, but that's next year. I really tried to enjoy little king's story but the A.I. pathfinding (getting your troops to properly follow you) was terrible and made some battles nearly impossible. And I sure as hell am not buying a Vita just for that. But still nothing on the level of Mass Effect or Fallout/Skyrim or FF or even smaller but still popular series like Tales.

[quote name='TheLongshot']I'm back playing Persona 3. Damnit, I'm going to finish it this time...[/QUOTE]

I would like to try going through that again some day, but the final boss pretty much ruined it for me because it was such a cheap throwback to the old school design of one hit kill attacks and being massively over-leveled compared to every previous boss. I get that it's the final boss and it should be an epic fight, but if I've had little trouble with every boss up until that point, he should not wipe the floor with me.

[quote name='Erad30']I would like to try going through that again some day, but the final boss pretty much ruined it for me because it was such a cheap throwback to the old school design of one hit kill attacks and being massively over-leveled compared to every previous boss. I get that it's the final boss and it should be an epic fight, but if I've had little trouble with every boss up until that point, he should not wipe the floor with me.[/QUOTE]

I've been sitting at about 120 hours for a while now. I couldn't imagine trying to do it again, but no regrets going through the first time. It might be linear as hell, but I enjoyed the story.

[quote name='Erad30']I would like to try going through that again some day, but the final boss pretty much ruined it for me because it was such a cheap throwback to the old school design of one hit kill attacks and being massively over-leveled compared to every previous boss. I get that it's the final boss and it should be an epic fight, but if I've had little trouble with every boss up until that point, he should not wipe the floor with me.[/QUOTE]

I never had a problem with the final boss the first time on FES. Then again I had gotten to level 80, at around 70-80 something hours.

On P3P, I just obliterated him, especially since I had a bunch of High Ranking persons (Surt, Odin, Skadi, Norn) all with their high leveled element attacks WITH spell boost AND the trait that 1/2s MP use. I abused the hell out of that duping card booth.

Think I'm near the end of Persona 3 FES myself (just the main part; I've no plans to dive into "The Answer" straight away). It's become a little tedious, and I've started playing it between other games, but now I feel compelled to wrap it up.

[quote name='jello44']I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else who has played Digital Devil Saga 2.

Alright, so I'm on the last boss, the very last part of him, nearly fucking dead. He did what is probably his "ultimate" move. While this is happening, all this garbled text appeared on the top part of the screen and afterwards, total party wipe. I was pretty pissed off because it was the second time it happened during the same battle, but it didn't nearly do as much damage the first time. I'm 99% positive that I had all buffs/debuffs off, so I don't think that was it.

Needless to say, I'm pretty miffed, nearly done with this fucking game, especially after all the frustration of the previous fucking boss, who seemed to be harder than the final boss.[/QUOTE]
That final boss took me a few attempts-- not nearly as many as the previous boss you mentioned. I think I ended up going back to grind for one of my characters to get Debilitate; I didn't have it at the time, and it was really useful for DDS1's final boss.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I haven't played all the DLC myself, but I hear most of the extra content is tough encounters you won't be able to handle until you've completed everything else anyways. So you won't have to worry about it for a while. And personally I was never interested in the story based DLC because the ending was quite silly, as was much of the plot. From a narrative standpoint I don't think the game has much value to fans of XIII, similar to X-2. Revisiting the world is very cool, though.

See how you like the game first and complete all the side stuff, might take 60 or so hours to get through just that. It's pretty fun stuff, just don't take it too seriously.[/QUOTE]

Sad to hear that they crapped out on the plot like that. I know I was in the minority that actually enjoyed XIII for what it was and was super excited for the release of XIII-2.

During that time that I was waiting I ended up playing Fable 2 and the Mass Effect trilogy in terms of RPGs. Fable 2 didn't really sit well with me but Mass Effect sunk it's hooks into me. I couldn't believe I left 1 and 2 sitting in my backlog for 2 years.

We'll see how XIII-2 sits with me. I still have Resonance of Fate, Nier and The Last Remnant in my backlog as far as RPGs go. I keep putting them off though >_

I had forgotten that I had ordered Digital Devil Saga 2 when it was on sale a couple of months ago. It is now shipping with FSN: Ultimate Blade Works Blu-ray that I ordered.

[quote name='TheLongshot']I've been sitting at about 120 hours for a while now. I couldn't imagine trying to do it again, but no regrets going through the first time. It might be linear as hell, but I enjoyed the story.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've got about 80 or so hours, but it was from a few years ago, so I'm torn between starting over (don't want to replay 80 hours though!) or desperately trying to recall what has happened, who's social links I need to be pursuing, and what my long term persona fusion plans were...

Prolly just gonna find a let's play and start on The Answer... Or P4

[quote name='blueshinra']Think I'm near the end of Persona 3 FES myself (just the main part; I've no plans to dive into "The Answer" straight away). It's become a little tedious, and I've started playing it between other games, but now I feel compelled to wrap it up.

That final boss took me a few attempts-- not nearly as many as the previous boss you mentioned. I think I ended up going back to grind for one of my characters to get Debilitate; I didn't have it at the time, and it was really useful for DDS1's final boss.[/QUOTE]

In DDS1 I just Ma-dyned the shit out of the orbs after that, it was really easy. I never used any buffs/debuffs on it.

DDS2's final boss was easy as well. Just finished it. Though Dekunda/Dekaja is a must. (Luckily I had Dekunda and about 10 dekaja stones).

When the final boss of DDS2 used, Brahama Bomb (or whatever the hell it was called) it was weird as all hell to see all this garbled text. I thought the game glitched out on me.

I guess 1up doesn't consider Borderlands 2 a RPG, or else they don't have much care for the game. Also, the South Park game is being released next year.

[quote name='GhostShark']I guess 1up doesn't consider Borderlands 2 a RPG, or else they don't have much care for the game. Also, the South Park game is being released next year.[/QUOTE]
I don't think it's that they don't care for the game, but you can make a good case for Borderlands not being a RPG. Though I really don't want to get into the "what is a RPG?" debate.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I don't think it's that they don't care for the game, but you can make a good case for Borderlands not being a RPG. Though I really don't want to get into the "what is a RPG?" debate.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's true. I suppose it's the same reason why ME3 isn't on the list.

Yeah I love the Mass Effect series, but 2 & 3 especially are much more shooters with rpg trimmings than anything you'd traditionally consider an rpg.

Getting to the end of Xenoblade...... I think. Just beat
the bird bitch inside the Bionis. Am i almost done?
Played till 4AM but good thing for Father's Day. I need to sleep in.

[quote name='Rodimus']Getting to the end of Xenoblade...... I think. Just beat
the bird bitch inside the Bionis. Am i almost done?
Played till 4AM but good thing for Father's Day. I need to sleep in.[/QUOTE]

Wow, congratulations! That is possibly the most frustrating (not necessarily most difficult but frustrating fight in the game imho). Physical attacks do next to nothing, so I was stuck using an all ether team, with members I never used. Ricki, Mellia, and I think Sharla. Such a pain in the ass.

If you are sufficiently leveled, you're ~ 4-5 hours from the end IIRC (and that's mainly due to the final dungeon being pretty tediously long and then a long series of boss battles that are just massive battles of attrition). That could be cuz I was admittedly kinda of under leveled at the point due to wanting to just finish the fucking game, lol.

[quote name='blueshinra']Playing more Persona 3 FES today. Currently in early November 2009;
Ikutsuki-san is (well, was) such a DICK.
[/QUOTE]

And soooooo creepy.

[quote name='TheLongshot']More nutty than creepy for me. But it does leave you with the feeling, "Now what?"[/QUOTE]
Yes indeedy.
Started the Disco Level of Tartarus
yesterday as well. It looks neat, but who thought that was a good design?
It's tougher to navigate than the previous levels, and all the black makes it harder to see the Shadows.

Lately I've just been trying to collect the Personas I've missed. I've finally gotten over 80%. I know I won't get all of them since there is no way I'm maxing out everyone's s.links.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Wow, congratulations! That is possibly the most frustrating (not necessarily most difficult but frustrating fight in the game imho). Physical attacks do next to nothing, so I was stuck using an all ether team, with members I never used. Ricki, Mellia, and I think Sharla. Such a pain in the ass.

If you are sufficiently leveled, you're ~ 4-5 hours from the end IIRC (and that's mainly due to the final dungeon being pretty tediously long and then a long series of boss battles that are just massive battles of attrition). That could be cuz I was admittedly kinda of under leveled at the point due to wanting to just finish the fucking game, lol.[/QUOTE]

For the first time in this game I actually had to grind a little bit. I was level 72 (think she was 75) and I was getting my ass kicked. Ran around for an hour or two just grinding and got to 75 and beat her with little difficulty.

I haven't had much difficulty with bosses till this point.

Some how Fallout 3 has sucked me back in and forced me to start a new game. Looks like I'll put in at least another 50 hours in this game.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Lately I've just been trying to collect the Personas I've missed. I've finally gotten over 80%. I know I won't get all of them since there is no way I'm maxing out everyone's s.links.[/QUOTE]
In the same boat here. IIRC, I have five Social Links maxed out now, but doing all of them would take way too much time.

Don't know how many Personas I have registered now, though I'm fairly sure I'm past 60%.

[quote name='blueshinra']In the same boat here. IIRC, I have five Social Links maxed out now, but doing all of them would take way too much time.

Don't know how many Personas I have registered now, though I'm fairly sure I'm past 60%.[/QUOTE]

Considering that you get another s.link in January
for Aigis
, it does seem that you have to play everything just about perfect to get them all.

Course, one issue I had was that I didn't know that you could develop s.links with your teammates until late in the game.

Yeah, it's not that maxing the s. links takes too much time, it's that you have to be glued to a guide/faq and play perfectly to do it, which would make the game totally unfun (IMO).

To each his own. Since the game is half dating sim (or whatever you want to call it), I found it fun to try to understand each character's personality and try to guess which response they would respond best to. As the s link got higher, I was mostly able to get the correct answer more of the time.

Haven't been using a guide for the S.Links. I've found that the more sympathetic dialogue choices tend to get me good results (usually). It's just like real life, and I'd like to think my protagonist is a nice guy ;)

Also, miscounted how many I have maxed now; it was actually six, and I finished two more yesterday. Very close to maxing out Tower as well. And now my registered Persona rate is 69-70%.

Been playing it a lot lately, though, so I'm playing something else for right now: Chantelise. God damn is it hard.

[quote name='blueshinra']Haven't been using a guide for the S.Links. I've found that the more sympathetic dialogue choices tend to get me good results (usually). It's just like real life, and I'd like to think my protagonist is a nice guy ;)

Also, miscounted how many I have maxed now; it was actually six, and I finished two more yesterday. Very close to maxing out Tower as well. And now my registered Persona rate is 69-70%.[/quote]

I counted up mine. I have 9 currently and probably will get at least 3 more before the end of January.

Been playing it a lot lately, though, so I'm playing something else for right now: Chantelise. God damn is it hard.

I've heard the controls aren't the greatest. It is in my backlog, but I need to finish Recettear first.

I swear for the past 3+ hours that I've played Tales of the Abyss there have been hardly any dungeons and the game mostly consists of: Go to Baticul and watch a cutscene, go to Grand Chokmah and watch a cutscene, go to Yulia City and watch a cutscene, go to Daath and watch a cutscene, all one after another, then occasionally go to one of the other non-major cities and watch a cutscene, and in the very rare case where you aren't going to a location to watch a cutscene there might be a dungeon to do, haha. At least fast travel is unlocked, so you just jump all over the world run into the city you've been told to go to watch a scene get told to go to another city run out hop in your aircraft and fast travel to the next location and repeat.

At this point it's refreshing when the game just automatically warps me to where the scene is inside the city that I need to watch so I don't have to run to someplace I've been running around in repeatedly just to trigger another story scene, in reality the game could just be a graphic novel for this part of the game with it just dumping me in whatever dungeon I need to go to when I actually need to play. I mean there isn't even stuff for me to buy anymore I think the stores have the final equipment that they're going to offer, the only reason I go into cities is to watch cutscenes.

[quote name='icebeast']I swear for the past 3+ hours that I've played Tales of the Abyss there have been hardly any dungeons and the game mostly consists of: Go to Baticul and watch a cutscene, go to Grand Chokmah and watch a cutscene, go to Yulia City and watch a cutscene, go to Daath and watch a cutscene, all one after another, then occasionally go to one of the other non-major cities and watch a cutscene, and in the very rare case where you aren't going to a location to watch a cutscene there might be a dungeon to do, haha. At least fast travel is unlocked, so you just jump all over the world run into the city you've been told to go to watch a scene get told to go to another city run out hop in your aircraft and fast travel to the next location and repeat.

At this point it's refreshing when the game just automatically warps me to where the scene is inside the city that I need to watch so I don't have to run to someplace I've been running around in repeatedly just to trigger another story scene, in reality the game could just be a graphic novel for this part of the game with it just dumping me in whatever dungeon I need to go to when I actually need to play. I mean there isn't even stuff for me to buy anymore I think the stores have the final equipment that they're going to offer, the only reason I go into cities is to watch cutscenes.[/QUOTE]
It isn't just you, it's one of my big complaints about the game. How it gets as much praise as it does, I'll never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back