RPG Thread XVI Supports Project Eternity's Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Yggdra a lot, but I'm pretty sure most people won't.

I hated Class of Heroes.

The other two I haven't played, but are in my backlog... so I might get to them by 2020.

Playing through Devil Survivor 2 on the :ds: now. Hate games where you can only watch certain cut-scenes at the expense of others. I want the full story!

[quote name='elessar123']I like Yggdra a lot, but I'm pretty sure most people won't.

I hated Class of Heroes.

The other two I haven't played, but are in my backlog... so I might get to them by 2020.[/QUOTE]

Class of heroes looksed interesting. I love first person dungeon crawlers. (Etrian Odyssey, Wizardry, et al). What's not to like about it?

[quote name='eldergamer']Class of heroes looksed interesting. I love first person dungeon crawlers. (Etrian Odyssey, Wizardry, et al). What's not to like about it?[/QUOTE]

Balance issues. I loved all three EOs, Wizardry, etc. but this one was just not good. I think I went through 90% of the game without wiping once, until I hit a late boss and couldn't hit it once in two tries. Not even 1 dmg. Oh, and she one-shots your party. Before that, I never even got hit by a boss. That's how messed up the game was.

Not impressed by the Heroes of Ruin demo. Boring. Am totally digging Pokemon Conquest though, even though it's got a lot of unecessary stuff slowing it down (so you tell me to take Grass pokemon into battle, but I need to take the two main characters even though they don't have that wasting slots? Lame).

[quote name='elessar123']Balance issues. I loved all three EOs, Wizardry, etc. but this one was just not good. I think I went through 90% of the game without wiping once, until I hit a late boss and couldn't hit it once in two tries. Not even 1 dmg. Oh, and she one-shots your party. Before that, I never even got hit by a boss. That's how messed up the game was.[/QUOTE]

That wouldnt bother me as much. I don't even expect to beat the final boss in most RPGs . These days it's more about the experience of the game rather than completion. I just don't have the time or the mentality for the grinding required for THAT ONE BOSS at the end.

Out of curiosity, is anybody else besides me getting Growlanser on the PSP at the end of the month when it releases and actually going to play it right away?

Replaying XIII.

Looking back, the first hour in the Hanging Edge was very poorly structured. I found myself dodging nearly all the Cieth to save time, considering you get no crystarium points and the battle system hasn't even been put in place yet. Traveling through the Pulse Vesitge should of just been a puzzle segment, makes no sense to fight things at that part of the game. Anyways, Light/Sazh dialogue was as fun as I remembered but Snow's Resistance scene was just so bad.

On the other hand, dropping down to Lake Bresha was better than I remembered. First of all, insanely pretty, maybe my favorite environment in the game. Then the battle system has so many effects suddenly going on, and the first boss actually demands some paradigm shifts to Sentinel. This is quite exciting compared to how most other FFs work you into the battle systems, IMO.

Will see how the rest of the game holds up to my memory. I'm pretty sure the junkyard with Vanille and Sazh was bad, but otherwise I'm looking forward to everything else.

Because The Last Story isn't landing tomorrow like it was advertised. And I'd also like to give a fair write up to a game I actually enjoyed for once.

Diablo 3 destroyed my gaming spirit, so this is my rehab.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Because The Last Story isn't landing tomorrow like it was advertised. And I'd also like to give a fair write up to a game I actually enjoyed for once.

Diablo 3 destroyed my gaming spirit, so this is my rehab.[/QUOTE]

Play SWTOR.

After 80 hours and how many months it's been since it came out, I finally beat Skyrim.

As in I finally beat the main storyline of Skyrim. Still have to finish up Brotherhood, the College, Civil War, and a bunch of other crap.

[quote name='Indignate']After 80 hours and how many months it's been since it came out, I finally beat Skyrim.

As in I finally beat the main storyline of Skyrim. Still have to finish up Brotherhood, the College, Civil War, and a bunch of other crap.[/QUOTE]

And soon Dawnguard.

[quote name='matrix9280']I thought you were only allowed to talk about obscure japanese rpgs that 4 people care about in this thread.[/QUOTE]

I try to get people to talk about Star Wars, but it never seems to work.

[quote name='j-cart']I try to get people to talk about Star Wars, but it never seems to work.[/QUOTE]

What's that? Was it when the Federation fought the Borg?

[quote name='elessar123']What's that? Was it when the Federation fought the Borg?[/QUOTE]
No, I think it was something involving Cylons.

[quote name='matrix9280']I thought you were only allowed to talk about obscure japanese rpgs that 4 people care about in this thread.[/QUOTE]

I'll get us back on track. Is anyone else here a fan of Mana Khemia? I really loved that game, but it seems like not many people have played it and even of those it is mixed on whether they enjoyed it or not. I mean the game did have some major issues (day/night cycle with enemies being 2-3 times more powerful at night including bosses was totally silly, just made the game longer since you'd just wait until it was day because near as I could tell there was no reason to fight monsters at night when they were super powered). I still haven't played the sequel yet though, I have a feeling I'll really like it too though assuming they didn't change too much. If combat is the same I'll probably still love it.

Devil Survivor 2. didnt make it in time, and so one of the characters died. Hopefully this won't lock out the 'good' ending.

good game. very similar to the first, though. grinding between battles doesnt seem to be dong much. leveling up is slow....slow...

This is my current favorite article about Diablo III - http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/07/blizzard-admits-diablo-iii-is-a-game-that-ends/

The "Editor's Pick" comment is good, too. Seriously, some people can be a little too entitled.

As for what I'm currently playing: at the endgame in main game Persona 3 FES. The whole game so far has been amazing.

Also started Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 earlier this week and have been spending a lot of time synthesizing monsters and avoiding gigantic ones.

Speaking of D3... Finally got around to getting StarCraft 2 (as my old PC was so shitty it couldn't run it when it first came out), and it makes me even more disappointed in D3. Both are games with heavy focus on multiplayer, but so far SC2 has had a fantastic single player experience so far.

I absolutely love the attention to detail, all the random little things to click on between missions, the unique mission objectives and the fact that unlike most RTS, the single player isn't just one large training session for multiplayer. It also helps that the graphics are actually good (especially the stuff between missions) and don't just look like a prettied up WoW engine. In other words... it's the opposite of D3 :( Now if only we could get a Warcraft 4...:drool:

I've never seen a game more adept at spoiling itself than FFXIII-2. If you're going to have a time travel mechanic and allow players to get early access to certain areas, you should probably also have the game keep track of how far the player actually is in the main story. Assuming the perspective we're supposed to be viewing this from is Serah and Noel's (and I've been given no indication that it isn't), jumping ahead of the main story shouldn't magically give them knowledge of events they haven't seen yet. That's happened 3 or 4 times now, and I'm not even halfway through the game. Thankfully the story is reliably nonsensical anyway, or else it might bother me more.

[quote name='eldergamer']Devil Survivor 2. didnt make it in time, and so one of the characters died. Hopefully this won't lock out the 'good' ending.

good game. very similar to the first, though. grinding between battles doesnt seem to be dong much. leveling up is slow....slow...[/QUOTE]

Some of the characters I didn't/couldn't use leveled up after each day. I have everyone saved on the last day and everyone is within 1 or 2 levels of each other.

I'm currently playing Devil Survivor Overclocked. I'm at the beginning of the last day. Some of the recent battles have been annoyingly hard, like ones where you can't let people escape.

Currently a little stuck on the fight with
Jezebel due to the lava lake surrounding her. I've done a little leveling up since then and got fire null/repel on some of my main characters and their demons, so maybe I'll be able to do it this time.

Finally finished Tales of the Abyss. My opinion on the game is a bit mixed, I mean there were some parts and characters I really enjoyed, but I never really liked Luke or Tear even at the end. Plus the pacing of the game around the 3/4 mark where you stop going into dungeons and just go from place to place to watch cut-scenes wasn't great either. The final boss wasn't too hard, it was basically me just playing the item healer, while Tear and Natalia attacked and healed from a distance and Anise went on a suicide mission to fight at point blank range, and occasionally me going in to combo when I could; it only took me a single try to beat it. The ending made me smile though.

Finally going to have some free time to start playing Lost Odyssey. That game has been sitting in my pile of shame for over two years now. Anyone here who knows if the DLC is any good?

[quote name='Kia-Tiaph']Finally going to have some free time to start playing Lost Odyssey. That game has been sitting in my pile of shame for over two years now. Anyone here who knows if the DLC is any good?[/QUOTE]
IIRC it's one dungeon that you can't save in, and it has a hard & tricky boss at the end. Probably safe to skip.

[quote name='pete5883']IIRC it's one dungeon that you can't save in, and it has a hard & tricky boss at the end. Probably safe to skip.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks for the info!

[quote name='panzerfaust']PSO2 accepted my U.S. debit card :drool:[/QUOTE]

You are gonna drop more into that game than I have in SWTOR.

[quote name='icebeast']Finally finished Tales of the Abyss. My opinion on the game is a bit mixed, I mean there were some parts and characters I really enjoyed, but I never really liked Luke or Tear even at the end. Plus the pacing of the game around the 3/4 mark where you stop going into dungeons and just go from place to place to watch cut-scenes wasn't great either. The final boss wasn't too hard, it was basically me just playing the item healer, while Tear and Natalia attacked and healed from a distance and Anise went on a suicide mission to fight at point blank range, and occasionally me going in to combo when I could; it only took me a single try to beat it. The ending made me smile though.[/QUOTE]

I remember really enjoying the original release years ago, but haven't played it since, I keep thinking about picking it up for the 3DS but wonder if it'll hold up and I'm playing through Tales of Graces F right now so that might be a little too much Tales at once anyways.

[quote name='j-cart']You are gonna drop more into that game than I have in SWTOR.[/QUOTE]

This is possible.

PSO2 isn't monthly, but it looks like I'll probably end up investing quite a bit into it.

yeah so just discovered that you can go third person shooter mode and that headshots count for extra damage

fOSlj.jpg

yes that is a rocket launcher

[quote name='panzerfaust']yeah so just discovered that you can go third person shooter mode and that headshots count for extra damage[/QUOTE]

I haven't even play the game and I knew that.

anyone playing theatrhythm?

i find it amazing how songs become less memorable as the years go on.

also mad that "to zanarkand" isn't on there. at least in series mode. dunno if it's an unlockable.

[quote name='kainzero']anyone playing theatrhythm?

i find it amazing how songs become less memorable as the years go on.

also mad that "to zanarkand" isn't on there. at least in series mode. dunno if it's an unlockable.[/QUOTE]

I love this freaking game! Love music games, love FF music... This game will get expensive for me as I know I'll get all the DLC they release...

I too am shocked by the ommission (unless like you said it's unlockable). Two versions of the main theme (Suteki da ne) but no To Zanarkand? And where's my Other World...

Ah well, that's what DLC is for I guess :D

Cool pic. I'd love for PSO2 to hit consoles. PSU is the only MMO I really got into. I also played alot of PSO on the DC and Gamecube but I never played it online, only splitscreen.

Just got into Tactics Ogre PSP post-game. Apparently the original version has a thing where if you auction off high level monsters in particular towns, you unlock fancy stuff in their shop. However, the official guidebook mentions neither this nor does it have the supposed items listed in the compendium in the back. Does anyone know definitively if they are in?

[quote name='Rodimus']Cool pic. I'd love for PSO2 to hit consoles. PSU is the only MMO I really got into. I also played alot of PSO on the DC and Gamecube but I never played it online, only splitscreen.[/QUOTE]

The only console that PSO2 is coming to is the PSVita. They have said they want to release it for iOS and android aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back