Scott Pilgrim comics and movie! Blu-Ray/DVD is out now!

Really? After about 30 minutes into The Expendables I wasn't hiding my laughter anymore. Especially when it came to the shoddy CGI, camerawork and lighting at times. The story was also, in a lot of ways, just lacking. So many cliches in that movie that if you took a shot every time one came up you would probably die from alcohol poisoning. Not to say Scott Pilgrim was perfect, because it wasn't, but definitely not near as many problems as The Expendables. Granted this is all my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own, just don't see how.

[quote name='JP']Really? After about 30 minutes into The Expendables I wasn't hiding my laughter anymore. Especially when it came to the shoddy CGI, camerawork and lighting at times. The story was also, in a lot of ways, just lacking. So many cliches in that movie that if you took a shot every time one came up you would probably die from alcohol poisoning. Not to say Scott Pilgrim was perfect, because it wasn't, but definitely not near as many problems as The Expendables. Granted this is all my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own, just don't see how.[/QUOTE]

I understand your point. I just had more fun with Expendables. I didn't find myself bored at all, where I did a few times with Scott Pilgrim.

[quote name='opterasis']I thought overall, The Expendables was better.[/QUOTE]

I'll disagree with that. The Expendables was just a forgettable action movie with some big names. Scott Pilgrim was just far more interesting. To me at least.

Bardockkun, glad someone else feels that way about Envy Adams too. :) At least Todd the Vegan was awesome!

[quote name='darkslime']I just torrented the first volume and read it, and it was good enough that I bought all 6 books off of Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Good man! Just don't get your hopes up for part 6 - O'Malley forgot the funny while writing it. Nice emotional beats though.

[quote name='VidPower']Just saw the movie. Not bad, but it wasn't movie of the year or anything IMO.[/QUOTE]

The movie of the year for me is Kick-Ass. Scott Pilgrim's a close second though. But the reason a lot of us think it's special and amazing is there is nothing else like it. It fuses real life with videogame tropes to great success. I give it huge props for that. It's also just really fun and silly, which is always nice.

Also, how great is it that this exists?

[YOUTUBE]BitByGeWGxU[/YOUTUBE]
I'm not a fan of using computers to do the in-between frames of animation, but still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it wrong this movie gave me faith with Chris Evans as Captain America since he was able to transform himself into Lucas Lee (the second ex) so damn well?

After playing the game a bit I really want to buy the comics. I wish I knew about this series sooner.

I just started the first book using the comiXology Scott Pilgrim iPhone app, and it works really well. The books are about the same price as they are on Amazon, but I like not having to add another stack of books to my shelf.

Saw it Friday, it was easily my favorite movie of the year. The humor was spot on, the tributes to Video Games and Anime were AWESOME (in a very geeky way) and the action was actually pretty good. My only complaint was that the first Boss was kinda corny, but the payoff from that fight was brilliant!

Never read the comics, but the movie made a bonafide fan.

[quote name='mistymayem']Anybody have recommendations for similar graphic novels/manga/books?[/QUOTE]
Blue Monday is one that kinda springs to mind immediately. It reads like a pop culture filled teen sex comedy. I Believe Oni Press (who also released Scott Pilgrim) released this one as well.

Other then that, Bryan Lee O'Malley has discussed releasing another book in the Scott Pilgrim universe. Rumor has it possible release around the DVD/Blu Ray, but we'll see.

Overall, my girlfriend and I both really liked the movie. Complaints:
1) Katayanagi twins fight. This was beyond horrible. I mean, shit, neither of the brothers even spoke. While I wasn't a fan of how the Roxie Richter stuff was implemented, the only part where Wright's adaptation was downright terrible was this terrible, unnecessarily CG'd battle of the bands fight.
2) Implementation of
Scott using his extra life. The fact that they re-filmed the 5 minutes leading up to his death was kind of useless, and didn't add any extra laughs or awesomeness in the battle. Would have been much better if it was done like the book, which I acknowledge wasn't written when this was being filmed.

[quote name='alongx']Overall, my girlfriend and I both really liked the movie. Complaints:
1) Katayanagi twins fight. This was beyond horrible. I mean, shit, neither of the brothers even spoke. While I wasn't a fan of how the Roxie Richter stuff was implemented, the only part where Wright's adaptation was downright terrible was this terrible, unnecessarily CG'd battle of the bands fight.
2) Implementation of
Scott using his extra life. The fact that they re-filmed the 5 minutes leading up to his death was kind of useless, and didn't add any extra laughs or awesomeness in the battle. Would have been much better if it was done like the book, which I acknowledge wasn't written when this was being filmed.
[/QUOTE]

1) Well, the director said something about how he wanted to find authentic Japanese twins for the roles, and the two guys chosen didn't really speak any English. That's probably why it went that way.
2) Well, what happens when you
die in an old school game? You start the level over. So, I thought it made sense.

[quote name='alongx']Overall, my girlfriend and I both really liked the movie. Complaints:
2) Implementation of
[/QUOTE]

1) This was one of my favorite battles in the movie. I mean,
a giant gorilla made out of sound, beating up the Katayangi Twin's dragons while the band rocks out to one of the best songs in the movie? So great. Plus, think about this: Scott's eyes were glowing the same color as the gorilla's were. That was Scott controlling the thing. fucking epic.

2)
I felt Scott re-doing everything in the last battle was meant to show that he was fighting for himself instead of for Ramona. The way he handled himself was more adult-like.

So yeah, I didn't know this thread was here. I've seen the movie three times already. Favorite movie of the year so far, can't wait for the blu-ray!

And to the people who thought the last book wasn't funny, how could you think that
"Do you want to have CASUAL SEX?!"
wasn't funny? :cool:

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']

And to the people who thought the last book wasn't funny, how could you think that
wasn't funny? :cool:[/QUOTE]
Because really the whole book was Scott just spiraling lower and lower. It kinda killed the momentum the other volumes had and just put it to a halt. Like it sorta felt like they had to fill 3/4 the book with something besides the final confrontation with Gideon and it came down to that. Basically from that one page it wasn't enough to be the fun read it once was.
Or at least that was the problem I had with it.

I saw it earlier on friday and I thought it was one of (if not the best) movie I have seen this year, while I understands some of the complaints because of the differences and casting roles, I personally thought they did an amazing job of putting all of the issues in a 2 hour movie and I look forward to buying this on Blu-Ray.

Also, I'm not quite sure what it is but Brandon Routh as Todd was just amazing. (Might have something to do with that was my favorite part of the series dX)

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']
wasn't funny? :cool:[/QUOTE]

Yes, it had some jokes. Like 1/8 as many as every other book in the series (to put it generously). Plus what Bardokkun said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing it again on Thursday with some friends who haven't got around to it. It is a shame it bombed, but if I were to turn lemons to lemonade at least I can say it won't be totally destroyed by Hot Topic high school crowd. Man, that just makes me sound old and bitter. Though still, I wish this movie had done better. It just deserves it.

Plus this movie has given me a new secret shame band, Metric.

i'm probably going to go watch it tomorrow. i just (like 10 minutes ago) finished reading the last book (read them all in the past week or so to prepare for the movie) and i'm SO EXCITED. i've been avoiding reviews of the movie, but i can't wait! i'll post again afterwards.

[quote name='AvidWriter']The whole "defeating the 7 ex's" thing to me is really stupid and doesn't seem interesting at all. It makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

Pull the fucking stick out of your ass.

So now I've saw the movie and read the first 2 volumes of the books (3 is on backorder at amazon) and I can say I'm a huge fan of scott pilgrim, planning on buying the game when its out for 360. the only thing they did wrong though was casting that f****t michael cera.

I hate that people are saying that "defeating the 7 ex's doesn't make sense".. or that the movie was unrealistic.. It's a movie based off of the graphic novel.. of course it's not going to be realistic. Very few movies these days are actually realistic.. that's what makes them fun! I read volume 1 and love it, I haven't read any of the others yet.

Also, Hastings has the soundtrack on sale this week for $9.99. Awesome.

[quote name='opterasis']I thought overall, The Expendables was better.[/QUOTE]
Ew, boring, predictable and shaky camera fights. You are a loco roco.

OH and I saw Scott Pilgrim today - totally awesome. My favorite part
the final Solo battle between the evil Pilgrim. Haha perfect.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Ew, boring, predictable and shaky camera fights. You are a loco roco.[/QUOTE]

Compared to too long with absolutely terrible music. Neither were perfect movies, I just had more fun with the other.

I think it all boils down to personal preference. After my co-worker found out I had seen the movie 5 times he decided he had to go see it. The only other movie I've seen that many times in theater in the past year was Zombieland and he loved that. He took his girlfriend, and while he enjoyed the movie, she downright hated it.

I see a lot of people that have read the books complaining that Edgar Wright changed too many things or dropped certain things he shouldn't have. I always hate those arguments about any movie adapted from another medium. It's never going to translate perfectly, it just doesn't happen. I think Edgar Wright did a wonderful job with the material, keeping it in the style of the comic and trying to make it accessible to people who weren't fans of the comic series. Did he do a perfect job? Not at all but given the source material, cinema time constraints and the amount of secondary stories he did as good as just about anyone could.

[quote name='JP']Me as well.[/QUOTE]
I knew about Metric before the movie, so...

[quote name='opterasis']Compared to too long with absolutely terrible music. Neither were perfect movies, I just had more fun with the other.[/QUOTE]
If by "terrible", you mean the best movie soundtrack ever, then yes.

I like Kick-Ass's soundtrack better too, but Scott Pilgrim's soundtrack and score (I bought them both) are still great.

And JP, of course there are going to be changes when adapting a story from one medium to another, but that doesn't mean everyone has to like or agree with them.

[quote name='georox']Same... :([/QUOTE]

[quote name='JP']Me as well.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I knew about Metric before the movie, so...[/QUOTE]
Good to know I'm in good company. Though yes, I think Metric had the best song in the whole soundtrack. Though still a good soundtrack, eventhough SUPER awkward listening to it in my car with the By Your Side cover. Awkward times...
[quote name='JP']
I see a lot of people that have read the books complaining that Edgar Wright changed too many things or dropped certain things he shouldn't have. I always hate those arguments about any movie adapted from another medium. It's never going to translate perfectly, it just doesn't happen. I think Edgar Wright did a wonderful job with the material, keeping it in the style of the comic and trying to make it accessible to people who weren't fans of the comic series. Did he do a perfect job? Not at all but given the source material, cinema time constraints and the amount of secondary stories he did as good as just about anyone could.[/QUOTE]
To me it exceeded my expectations. Mostly because it didn't feel like an Edgar Wright movie and instead came off as a translation that captured the heart and soul of the comic perfectly and found it's own voice.

For all those who purchased the soundtrack and saw the movie again afterwards...

Is it me, or does it give you more of a new appreciation for both the movie and soundtrack choices overall?

[quote name='bardockkun']To me it exceeded my expectations. Mostly because it didn't feel like an Edgar Wright movie and instead came off as a translation that captured the heart and soul of the comic perfectly and found it's own voice.[/QUOTE]

I saw the movie last night (it was awesome) and I thought it had Edgar Wright stamped all over it. That said, it was definitely its own movie.

Sadly, the theater was nearly empty. There were a handful of couples making out, a few frat boys and an entire row of senior citizens. o_O I think they were laughing harder than anyone else in the theater.

This is the first movie I've ever seen where I walked out saying "I can't wait for the commentary track." Also, the Seinfeld bit had me in stitches.

I haven't read this thread for fear of spoilers, but I went to go see it last night... SOLD out... what the hell. It might have a second wind after all. Ill try going during the week

[quote name='Lice']I haven't read this thread for fear of spoilers, but I went to go see it last night... SOLD out... what the hell. It might have a second wind after all. Ill try going during the week[/QUOTE]

That's great news! Hopefully word of mouth pushes the movie forward.

Opening weekend Scott Pilgrim made 10 million. Vampires Suck opened this weekend and it made goddamn 12 million, while Pilgrim only made 5 million. Goddamn, what the fuck is wrong with people?!

[quote name='bardockkun']Opening weekend Scott Pilgrim made 10 million. Vampires Suck opened this weekend and it made goddamn 12 million, while Pilgrim only made 5 million. Goddamn, what the fuck is wrong with people?![/QUOTE]
The average American movie goer is a moron. I had stronger words but decided not to use it. I actually look at those numbers with some hope. Normally those parody movies rake in at least 25-30 million opening weekend. The fact it got that little is good. Still sucks that people aren't watching the awesomeness that is Scott Pilgrim but maybe the average movie goer has learned something over the past year or so.

[quote name='JP']The average American movie goer is a moron. I had stronger words but decided not to use it. I actually look at those numbers with some hope. Normally those parody movies rake in at least 25-30 million opening weekend. The fact it got that little is good. Still sucks that people aren't watching the awesomeness that is Scott Pilgrim but maybe the average movie goer has learned something over the past year or so.[/QUOTE]

Problem is most people with low enough IQ to see a parody film love Twilight, so this parody movie offends them, so they won't see it.

[quote name='georox']Problem is most people with low enough IQ to see a parody film love Twilight, so this parody movie offends them, so they won't see it.[/QUOTE]
I forgot about that. My lack of faith in the American movie going public has been restored.

[quote name='bardockkun']Opening weekend Scott Pilgrim made 10 million. Vampires Suck opened this weekend and it made goddamn 12 million, while Pilgrim only made 5 million. Goddamn, what the fuck is wrong with people?![/QUOTE]
Ugh... :cry:

bread's done
Back