Server shutdowns: GWFL Marketplace 8-22!/GWFL 7-1-2014!/Burnout Revenge back up!

Well, im glad i traded in LOTR:C before the price dropped, though im a bit sad about Def Jam, was planning to buy it tommorow >_>. There goes that idea

Add me to list for boosting on skate.reel 20 reviews - please review my one video from 2007 and I will do the same. Let me know via XBL or PM.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Well, im glad i traded in LOTR:C before the price dropped, though im a bit sad about Def Jam, was planning to buy it tommorow >_>. There goes that idea[/QUOTE]

Don't give up on Def Jam. If anything, it's making me go buy it as soon as possible. I'm willing to boost. Although I want to finish up on skate since we have two weeks vs. having a month for Def Jam.

Release Date: 3/6/2007

Def Jam is pretty old - I waited years before buying it used, very cheaply. That said, it doesn't appear that I ever got around to playing it. I'll be in for the online stuff with anyone interested.

Got my 360 back and am looking to play Def Jam and LOTRC online. Also down for Dark Corners. I love hoarde mode, but haven't met the threshold for achievements on all maps yet. Some bc of my level.

Also, I edited this because it turns out I don't have skate after all. Guess I just have too many games. I remember getting it cheap at blockbuster awhile ago and checking it out and liking it, but that was around the time I had some games I wanted to unload to GS during a trade X get X and I probably used skate to get to the highest tier on a trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jonathanp']Don't give up on Def Jam. If anything, it's making me go buy it as soon as possible. I'm willing to boost. Although I want to finish up on skate since we have two weeks vs. having a month for Def Jam.[/QUOTE]The only threatened skate achievement is the Celebrity one right? And maybe the post one reel and post six reels. Or did I miss something?

Hope eveybody finished up DJ and LOTRC as needed. I knocked out LOTRC, but didn't have it in me to go for 200 wins in DJ. Tried it out tonight and got beat down 5 out of 5 times by people who play a decent amount. The single player seemed better to me when I tried it and I liked it somewhat. Guess I shoulda started working on DJI sooner. no biggie. Not sure if servers close at the start of the day or end of the day or somewhere in between.

Any guesses for the next round of closures? I'm gonna guess that Burnout Revenge (old and well received sequel), Battlefield 2 (old), LOTR BFME (old), Bad Company 1 (well received sequel may make it unnecessary), and Army of Two (already closed in Japan) will be sooner than later. I haven't tried any of these online yet, so for all I know they have decent followings still. Just guesses.

Battlefield Modern Combat is definitely a no-brainer. I'm surprised it's not gone already. The community for Bad Company is still pretty active. I play everyday, and there are always a bunch of games going on with 20+ people in them.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Seriously, WTF. Some of these games haven't been out that long. fuck EA.

Anyway, I still have my $10 Target Clearance copy of LOTR Conquest. Who wants to boost? PM me.[/QUOTE]

i am down
i love EA but now they are killing the love :):):) its all about making money

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Battlefield Modern Combat is definitely a no-brainer. I'm surprised it's not gone already. The community for Bad Company is still pretty active. I play everyday, and there are always a bunch of games going on with 20+ people in them.[/QUOTE]Glad to hear BC1 is still active as that game's on my to play soon list, hopefully, that will keep it off the chopping block for a bit.

[quote name='starmask2k3']i am down
i love EA but now they are killing the love :):):) its all about making money[/QUOTE]Didn't know you were looking to play LOTRC, or I woulda recruited you when we were playing this. Just so you know, I was gonna recruit Kefka, but he's got all 1000 points on this. If the servers aren't closed tonite I may be able to help you out.

BTW, we played this with a full room or two thru several matches and all types and it was a pretty fun game. Too bad as it's not like there's another similar game out there. I get the feeling that most people who didn't like it were disappointed that the single player felt more like mp with bots than a true epic battle.

This is kinda why I hesitate slightly about buying EA games because I know eventually the games servers will be closed. Although I don't own any of them games, but I would of maybe picked up LOTR sometime in the future when its super cheap.

Yea, Burnout Revenge, LotR Battle For Middle Earth and Battlefield Modern Combat are 3 of the oldest EA games that still have servers active so I would not be surprised if those were next.

From what I can recall, Burnout is not very hard, but it is time consuming. there is an achievement where you need 5 or 6 people as well.

The leaderboards no longer update for LotR BFME so that makes some of the leaderboards specific achievements difficult to get unless you know someone who is ranked in the game. Other than that, the online are pretty easy and can be boosted with one other person.

The servers for Battlefield MC are a nightmare. There are always games being played, but for the most part it is just people griefing and team killing. Also certain users know how to crash servers so even if you do qualify to get achievements in the current game,the achievement will not pop until the next game is loading, so if the game crashes you do not get credit. Also party chat is hit or miss and will often kick you out of games so it makes it difficult to coordinate some of the achievements. Private chat does work though. Finally there is a 500 games played achievement which will take 40-50 hours even if you are doing 1v1 boosting. This one is not for the faint of heart.

Reminder original xbox games going down for good in 2 days.

Also EA announced some new closures for May 11th:

Tiger Woods 07

&

Tiger Woods 08

So today is the last day to play original xbox games on live (or is it tommrow?) I read a article on vgchartz that if you play Halo 2 before the servers shutdown they will give u a treat in halo reach. Whatever that's supposed to mean.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']So today is the last day to play original xbox games on live (or is it tommrow?) I read a article on vgchartz that if you play Halo 2 before the servers shutdown they will give u a treat in halo reach. Whatever that's supposed to mean.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if they went down for good around when they usually put up XBL marketplace content. I'd say if you want to play I would play today.

Any other info on what you get if you play Halo 2? I might have to play a couple games tonight for old time's sake.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Reminder original xbox games going down for good in 2 days.

Also EA announced some new closures for May 11th:

Tiger Woods 07

&

Tiger Woods 08[/QUOTE]

Tiger 08 is going, geez, I have a load of achievements still to get in that and I've not even opened 09 or 10 yet :cry:

[quote name='2DMention']I hope they don't shut the servers down for Rock Band some day.[/QUOTE]

Ha, I always envision some nightmare scenario where Rock Band suddenly has some secret contract expire and suddenly all DLC is no longer playable. Gamer apocalypse.

Need to get Yavin Station for KOTOR, Phantom Dust's DLC and maybe one last round of Crimson Skies in today. Sigh. Being able to have more than 100 friends is still a fucking shitty trade for shutting down all these games, so I hope they have more in mind for XBL than just that.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Is Xbox DLC free now for those that can get it or are they still charging for stuff up to the shutdown?[/QUOTE]
The vast majority of XBox 1 DLC has always been free. I believe some Project Gotham 2 content costs money and still does even now, but that's about it.

[quote name='Richlough']Should I open my sealed games to download the DLC ?

I'll never be able to again if I don't .[/QUOTE]

Yes, definitely. You never know. If you get the urge to play via XBConnect or something, you're going to want that DLC. It's not like they're worth anything sealed anyway.

---------

Just finished up a few minutes ago, played some Halo 2 for a while, then played some Crimson Skies. Had a pretty decent round after two or three matches, and then shut it down. In melodramatic terms, this is definitely the end of an era.

And holy crap is the XBox quiet compared to the 360.

Halo 2 DLC seems to be down, as the three I don't have refuse to be downloaded. The multiplayer seems to require all four packs, so I can't play any online multiplayer.

I guess I'll switch to Forza or KotOR and see how that works out for online play and DLC.

[quote name='Richlough']Should I open my sealed games to download the DLC ?

I'll never be able to again if I don't .[/QUOTE]

Watching the live stream on Giant Bomb, see you in the Halo 2 section!

[quote name='KaneRobot']Ha, I always envision some nightmare scenario where Rock Band suddenly has some secret contract expire and suddenly all DLC is no longer playable. Gamer apocalypse.

[/QUOTE]

That or them closing down the servers all of a sudden wouldn't surprise me. It's EA after all.

[quote name='2DMention']That or them closing down the servers all of a sudden wouldn't surprise me. It's EA after all.[/QUOTE]
Rock Band isn't an EA game. It's Harmonix/MTV Games.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Is Xbox DLC free now for those that can get it or are they still charging for stuff up to the shutdown?[/QUOTE]

Yea most is free but some games had paid DLC. They didn't drop the price on anything for the shutdown so if you really want something you have to ante up tonight.

From my standpoint I haven't seen any DLC on the OG xbox worth paying for.

If you are short of time its probably best to just get the single player stuff and the Halo 2 MP maps. The content for the 3 splinter cell games are good to pickup as well.

Check the other thread for a decent list of content. LINK

Its sad to see that you are being forced to buy and play Xbox 360 games online. No more simple Xbox 1 games online anymore, but of course most people left that console/the online of said console loooong ago.

I am glad the servers for the original Xbox got shut down, Microsoft was wasting bandwidth with that crap. Now they can not focus on giving Xbox 360 users cool shit like awesome updates and stuff.

[quote name='GenPirate']I am glad the servers for the original Xbox got shut down, Microsoft was wasting bandwidth with that crap. Now they can not focus on giving Xbox 360 users cool shit like awesome updates and stuff.[/QUOTE]
Microsoft has two options with the money they are saving
1-Keep it as profit
2-Use it to give us more stuff

Which one do you think they will do?
Honestly, I really doubt they are gonna save THAT much money by taking all this down.

[quote name='benjamouth']Tiger 08 is going, geez, I have a load of achievements still to get in that and I've not even opened 09 or 10 yet :cry:[/QUOTE]

Yea, no more Tiger 07 or 08 in a few weeks. Here are the achievements that will not be obtainable after May 11th for the OP.

Tiger Woods 07
High Roller - 15 - Make 25 online wagers
Getting the Hang of it - 15 - Win 5 online matches
Play in 5 online Tournaments - 20 - This is already glitched and unachievable

Tiger Woods 08
Anchor Man - 10 - Create and Play a 4-player Online Match (you must host to get this)
Reality Star - 35 - Play and beat a challenge in each of the Free Style, Long Drive, 9 and 18 Hole Showdown channels
Zapper - 10 - Post in each of the Free Style, Long Drive, 9 and 18 Hole Showdown channels
EA SPORTS GamerNet 1000 - 35 - Obtain 1000 producer points on EA Sports GamerNet
EA SPORTS GamerNet 5000 - 75 - Obtain 5000 producer points on EA Sports GamerNet

Mosts of these are pretty easy, but the 5000 producer points will take a while. I actually have some clips up so if others could bring them up and fail them that would help out. I'd be happy to do the same for other perople's clips. Just let me know that you did. Note, you do not even have to play the challenges, just bring them up, once it loads hit 'X' to start the challenge, then hit start and quit out. Takes 10-20 seconds.

Is it dead yet or are they still refusing to tell people when it's ending? Seemed like a disrespectful way to have it go out since a number of people made the time to play on Wednesday night to see the end of Xbox Live only to be told that it's happening at some random time they won't reveal.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Is it dead yet or are they still refusing to tell people when it's ending? Seemed like a disrespectful way to have it go out since a number of people made the time to play on Wednesday night to see the end of Xbox Live only to be told that it's happening at some random time they won't reveal.[/QUOTE]

They took it down around 7pm EST last Thursday. They never gave an exact time, just a bunch of random tweets and posts from major nelson and the xbox live operations team saying they would "flip the switch" at some point.

Not sure why they didn't just announce the time to make it easy on everyone. Guess it doesn't matter now anyways.

Just a bump for any subscribers. Thanks to GLOCKGLOCK for pointing this one out. Info also in his awesome achievement thread. I'll be looking to boost this one even though the max attainable is 705 apparently. Had to post quick will add more later.

See post #94 for info.

[quote name='MSUHitman']The servers for Mercenaries 2 were shut down as well, correct?[/QUOTE]Not that I'm aware of. I'll check this evening. It would piss me off if they were.

According to EA's site, Mercs 2 is still up for 360, but was closed down for PCs. Probably not too long left for 360 players.

UPDATE 12-11: Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II servers will shut down on 1/11/11 for 360. EA's rights to the series are over as someone else is making the new games and has the exclusive rights. Supposedly, shutdown was originally set or 12/31/10, but EA listed the 360 shutdown on the PC page and legally they have to give thirty days notice. All PC iterations lose servers on 12/31 still. Thanks to GLOCKGLOCK for the heads up. The official notice from EA:

Our licensing deal with Middle-earth Enterprises has expired, forcing us to shutdown the online services for The Lord of the Rings™ games. We hope you have enjoyed playing these games online and appreciate your patronage. There's still time for one last epic tower rush!
If you have further questions about your account or the shut down of these services, please visit http://support.ea.com.
Thank you,
Electronic Arts
Dec 31, 2010 Online Service Shutdown

The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ for PC
The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ II for PC
The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ II, The Rise of the Witch-king™ for PC

Jan 11, 2011 Online Service Shutdown

The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ II for Xbox 360
The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ II, The Rise of the Witch-king™ for Xbox 360

Most achievements affected are pretty easily attainable with the only difficult two being one where you have to beat a player ranked 20 places higher than you on the leaderboards and a zero point one where you lose to a player ranked 20 places lower than you. Apparently, the problem is that only the top 10,000 players are on the leaderboards. I don't know how long it would take to get on the leaderboards and then find a person higher than you. The rest are just getting 1 or 10 wins in different game types:

The Hobbit and the Troll
Capture them all!!!
King of Kings
My Heroes are better than yours
Entrepreneur of Middle-earth
General
Capture and Hold
King of the Hill!
My Heroes!!!!
Middle-earth Financier
Sergeant
Try a tutorial
In need of a lesson

Just a note, apparently the most achievement points one can earn in this game is 705 for some reason. Also, the Rise of the Witch King is also listed for 360, but as far as I can tell it never came out for 360.

Since EA is the main reason for this thread, here's a link to server closure announcements:

http://www.ea.com/2/service-updates

EDIT: Just popped in the game and sure enough it lists 705 as the total points. At least they are all attainable before server shutdown and not glitched chevos or whatever. Maybe the 295 were meant for the Witch King expansion which never happened. Also several players are on the leaderboards with 10/10 records so maybe it won't be too hard to get on there. Maybe if a few of us get together, two or three of us can both lose all ten to the same player making him 20-0 and that may boost him onto the leaderboards and high enough for us to get the chevo. Also, you can just start a match and quit out to expedite boosting the matches.

UPDATE 1-6:

And so it begins like an annual early spring douche. . .

Mar 1, 2011 Online Service Shutdown
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 09 for Wii

Feb 8, 2011 Online Service Shutdown
FIFA 07 for Xbox 360
FIFA 08 for PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
FIFA 09 for PC, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
FIFA 09 Ultimate Team for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
FIFA Street 3 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
EA SPORTS FIFA Manager 10 for PC

EA SPORTS Fight Night Round 3 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Madden 09 for PlayStation Portable (all regions), PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
Madden 10 for PlayStation Portable (all regions), PlayStation 2 and Wii
NBA LIVE 08 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NBA LIVE 09 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
NCAA Basketball 08 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NCAA Basketball 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NCAA Football 07 for Xbox 360
NCAA Football 08 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NCAA Football 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NCAA Football 10 for PlayStation 2
NFL Head Coach 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NHL 08 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NHL 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
UEFA EURO 2008 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
2010 FIFA World Cup for PlayStation Portable and Wii
2010 FIFA World Cup Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

All I got to say is get your online achievements done early in case EA shuts down leaderboards or some other functionality early again. Too bad I was so busy I couldn't get to it sooner as I only got the one win achievements and now apparently there are heroes I will never unlock in the game cause they were attached to 10 win achievements. I get the feeling the leaderboard shutdown was an actual problem at EA as other games were reported to have similar problems and since it was over a weekend it wasn't going to get fixed. Or they could be dicks.

For the record I only saw people complain about other older games. Dunno if this is a coincidence or a warning sign, but I saw people complain about leaderboards for the following games:
Command & Conquer (didn't specify which one)
NFS Carbon
Battlefield 2 MC
two others which I'll have to go back and look for.

Maybe a coincidence or maybe a sign those games are on the cusp of shutdown?

The oldest EA Games that have online achievements and servers that are still active that do not currently have a shutdown date are:

Burnout Revenge
Battlefield Modern Combat
Need for Speed Carbon
Need for Speed Pro Street
Medal of Honor Airborne
Command and Conquer 3

Some of these games have some really long and difficult achievements so if you are a completionist you probably should start on them soon.

Some Quick Notes:
Burnout Revenge - Not too bad online, you have to grind out some races, but with a 2nd copy or a buddy they won't take too long.

BF:MC - Very time consuming and the clan servers rarely work the right way. You have to play 500 games and there is one achievement you need 7 or 8 people for (Kill 5 with Mortar strike)

Need for Speed Carbon - Time Consuming, you also have to track down a EA moderator for a achievement which is next to impossible. 2 for 25 gs are already glitched and/or unachieveable

Need for Speed Pro Street - Online stuff is not too bad, but once again you need to beat an EA Moderator. You also need 8 people for a couple achievements and there are some virals you'll need to get from others. 1 for 15 gs is glitched/unachieveable

Medal of Honor Airborne - Haven't done anything myself, but the MP achievements are supposed to be very time consuming and I believe you need 6 people to start a ranked match.

Command and Conquer 3 - Play 100 Hours of MP achievement...

Get ready for another round of closings next month.

August 11th, 2001 Server Shutdown:

Army of Two for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Army of Two Demo for Xbox 360
Battlefield 2142 Demo for PC
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for Xbox 360
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat Demo for Xbox 360
Medal of Honor Airborne for PlayStation Portable
Medal of Honor Heroes 2 for PlayStation Portable and Wii
NASCAR 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 (North America)
NCAA Basketball 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NCAA Football 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Need for Speed Most Wanted for PC and Xbox 360
Need for Speed Undercover for PlayStation Portable
Skate for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 for PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

October 1, 2011 Online Service Shutdown

Madden NFL 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NHL 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Pretty sad about BF2, NFS Most Wanted (Whyyyyyy?!?!!?) and Skate.

bread's done
Back