Server shutdowns: GWFL Marketplace 8-22!/GWFL 7-1-2014!/Burnout Revenge back up!

[quote name='dirtyvu']well, once Gamestop realizes the servers are dead (if they didn't already know), the price falls through the floor. so you can pick it up cheap then. That's what happened to the other EA games. worth nothing at Gamestop and selling for dirt cheap. Games like old Madden ones or stuff like Army of Two.[/QUOTE]I actually had fun working for the Army of Two achievements, wish I had checked out the mp when it was still up and running. I'll have to see if anyone still plays 40th Day soon. Also, isn't NFS: Most Wanted still $30 used at GS? Sad thing is, I don't think they devalue a game based on mp availability, they'll still charge high for it if they can and you're just out of luck.

I think if you buy an EA game with shutdown servers and you have the online pass, EA should be required to refund you the ten dollar value of that pass. You paid for something you can't use and they have assigned a monetary value to it.

Anyone having problems with the Ultimate Fan cheezmint in EA MMA? Each time I try to watch one it says "Membership Restriction: Your Gamer Profile does not have the correct permissions to access XBox Live functionality." Nevermind the fact that I have Gold and the online pass for it too.

[quote name='bardockkun']Anyone having problems with the Ultimate Fan cheezmint in EA MMA? Each time I try to watch one it says "Membership Restriction: Your Gamer Profile does not have the correct permissions to access XBox Live functionality." Nevermind the fact that I have Gold and the online pass for it too.[/QUOTE]

They shut down the Live Broadcast feature back in October. Could that be it?

[quote name='bardockkun']Then I guess that explains that cheezmint is forever fragged.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, they did shut that feature down, but people are still getting the achievement as of yesterday so it is odd that you are having a problem with it. You should still be able to watch old broadcasts, but it sounds like you cannot even get one to load up. Maybe try clearing your cache and re-downloading the update and online pass info? or try to install the game? The load times are horrendously long in the game as it has to connect to the server a bunch of times and what not and I wonder if that causes issues sometime.

Either way, if you finally get one to load, make sure you watch the entire broadcast. You cannot skip through to the end.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Sad thing is, I don't think they devalue a game based on mp availability, they'll still charge high for it if they can and you're just out of luck.

I think if you buy an EA game with shutdown servers and you have the online pass, EA should be required to refund you the ten dollar value of that pass. You paid for something you can't use and they have assigned a monetary value to it.[/QUOTE]

They charge what they charge based on availability and popularity. Once the servers close, people will dump it if they have it or nip the idea of buying it if they don't have it. There's a reason why Revenge goes for more than Paradise because it's just a better game. Once the servers stop, Revenge will be $9.99 or $7.99 within a couple of months (if not sooner) rather than $19.99 or $24.99 used.

As for online passes, online passes were really for people that didn't pay for the game in the first place (buying the game used is not paying for the game because that money spent on a used game went to a middleman reseller rather than the publisher/developer). And if you go by your logic, then all of us who paid new prices should all get our money back.

[quote name='dirtyvu']They charge what they charge based on availability and popularity. Once the servers close, people will dump it if they have it or nip the idea of buying it if they don't have it. There's a reason why Revenge goes for more than Paradise because it's just a better game. Once the servers stop, Revenge will be $9.99 or $7.99 within a couple of months (if not sooner) rather than $19.99 or $24.99 used.

As for online passes, online passes were really for people that didn't pay for the game in the first place (buying the game used is not paying for the game because that money spent on a used game went to a middleman reseller rather than the publisher/developer). And if you go by your logic, then all of us who paid new prices should all get our money back.[/QUOTE]

regardless of whether you got the online pass in a new copy of the game, or by paying $10 for it on the marketplace, the point is EA still got your money for online play, and they shouldn't close the servers. People hate the server closures enough already, I'd imagine heads will roll once they start shutting down servers that have online passes.

[quote name='dirtyvu']went back to Burnout Revenge and made some new videos to celebrate the soon-to-be-dead game... long live Burnout Revenge!

720P HD vids... unfortunately, Youtube caps out at 30 fps and Burnout is a 60 fps so the speed and smoothness hurts in these vids. plus, their transcoder heavily compressed them
[/QUOTE]

Are the Burnout Paradise servers still up? Because your video makes me want to play my copy..... (I have Revenge for PS2)

the Paradise servers should be up still as it's now the only Burnout game once Revenge is retired.

I played Paradise a few weeks ago. Still as crappy as ever with the worst online with laggy play and horrible game design.

[quote name='dirtyvu']They charge what they charge based on availability and popularity. Once the servers close, people will dump it if they have it or nip the idea of buying it if they don't have it. There's a reason why Revenge goes for more than Paradise because it's just a better game. Once the servers stop, Revenge will be $9.99 or $7.99 within a couple of months (if not sooner) rather than $19.99 or $24.99 used.

As for online passes, online passes were really for people that didn't pay for the game in the first place (buying the game used is not paying for the game because that money spent on a used game went to a middleman reseller rather than the publisher/developer). And if you go by your logic, then all of us who paid new prices should all get our money back.[/QUOTE]Right, availability and popularity drive the marketplace for sure and some of that popularity depends on online play, but not totally. How many people were hanging on to Burnout Revenge to play online? Not that many judging by whenever I tried to play online. There were usually some people playing, but not that many. Maybe one room or two. I can't imagine there will be a flood of BO:Rs being dumped because it lost online capabilities. Hell, I have to wonder how many people are just unaware that EA is closing servers like this until they actually boot up a game and it fails.

As for online passes, that is a part of the new game purchase with a clear amount of worth dictated by EA's willingness to sell it seperately for $10. Apparently, we are only renting the ability to play online for $10. Unrealistically, that was exactly my logic that we should get our online pass money back when THEY willingly shut down a service we pay for. They are failing on their end of the contract. I wonder how online passes are worded as far as liability for ending online capabilities paid for with online passes. But from a more fair and realistic take, shouldn't EA and other companies cut the MSRP on new games with online passes by the cost of said pass? So EA MMA which is currently $20 should be dropped to $10 once online is gone and that online pass is useless.

Check out trueachievements.com for when you can race an ea mod in prostreet today and this weekend. I've got the virus achievements if anybody needs them.

[quote name='jdawgg76']I've got the virus achievements if anybody needs them.[/QUOTE]

Would you mind helping me get them then at some point? I work tonight, but "might" get on for a short bit if I'm out by 11pm (EST). Saturday evening/night should also work, and I'll be free all day Sunday.

I also already have the gear strain achievement (for drag racing).

Hopefully this time we can actually connect unlike when we tried playing madden. At least this time I am on a different internet connection.

[quote name='JStryke']Would you mind helping me get them then at some point? I work tonight, but "might" get on for a short bit if I'm out by 11pm (EST). Saturday evening/night should also work, and I'll be free all day Sunday.

I also already have the gear strain achievement (for drag racing).

Hopefully this time we can actually connect unlike when we tried playing madden. At least this time I am on a different internet connection.[/QUOTE]Didn't see you on this weekend, but whenever is cool with me. Mainly focused on my 4xp in CoD this weekend so back to knocking these chevos out on Monday. Finished NFS except for the unattainable one. Guess either Burnout or MMA is next. What are the onlince chevos in EA Active 2?

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE. For NFS Prostreet, they've turned on Race Day 2 so it's now possible to get that achievement. However, they apparently had to turn off Race Day 1 to get it to work. Whether they'll flip flop again, don't know, but get in while you can.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Didn't see you on this weekend, but whenever is cool with me. Mainly focused on my 4xp in CoD this weekend so back to knocking these chevos out on Monday. Finished NFS except for the unattainable one. Guess either Burnout or MMA is next. What are the onlince chevos in EA Active 2?[/QUOTE]

I actually wasn't around much this past weekend like I thought I would be. Not going anywhere to my knowledge this weekend though if you want to try again then (or sooner).

Very good news about Raceday 2! Cool, we can give it a try this weekend.

NEW SERVER CLOSURE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!

April 30, 2012 -- Online Services Shutdown
  • Hasbro Family Game Night for PlayStation 3 (PSN) and Xbox 360 (XBLA)
Apparently, there's only one affected achievement which is to win a game of scrabble online.

Another title I actually use once in awhile. The fact that this is an XBLA game makes it especially fucking asinine. This nonsense is ensuring that I will no longer buy any EA games new and sure as hell won't buy their online pass if I buy something used.

Bet you they leave the game up for sale even though it will now be essentially useless.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Another title I actually use once in awhile. The fact that this is an XBLA game makes it especially fucking asinine. This nonsense is ensuring that I will no longer buy any EA games new and sure as hell won't buy their online pass if I buy something used.

Bet you they leave the game up for sale even though it will now be essentially useless.[/QUOTE]I'm sure they will with the excuse that it can be played locally. They still sell the DLC for LOTR Conquest which is at it's core a mp game and the mp focused DLC for Army of Two is still for sale. Both at full price. Ironically, all of the games in your gamercard are EA games except for Mass Effect 1 (which the rest of the series is).

Just a heads up on two different games:

First, they have turned back on the race week achievement for NFS: Carbon! No word on getting to race a mod though.

Second, don't forget the previous announcement that NBA2k11 servers will close in April. When they announced the closure delay in November I don't know if they envisioned 2k11 STILL consistently ranking in the top 20 played online games list every week in April. I know I'll try to knock out as many 2k11 chevos as I can as soon as I'm done with Burnout and MMA, but I think a few may unobtainable including NBA GameDay and the fileshare achievement.

From Trueachievements.com:

As our community very much knows by now, some of the Need for Speed games include achievements for beating EA moderators in online races. Unlike some other viral achievements, players who have already earned this achievement can not pass it on themselves; you really do have to beat an EA moderator to get the achievement. That was until recently.

EA has realised that demand for these achievements far outstrips the availability of the moderators in Need for Speed: ProStreet and Need for Speed: Carbon, especially as players become more desperate for the EA Moderator achievement in ProStreet with the impending closure of the servers. As a result, they have advertised for players who are willing to help spread these achievements on the @NeedforSpeed Twitter account. Players who reply will be set up with moderator status and will be able to help spread these achievements much quicker than EA would be able to do on their own.

i know this is the 360 forms but anyone have NBA 10 for PS3 who wants to boost the online ones

Got a group from trueachievements.com plus a few friends going for the most wanted chevo and boosting any other online cheves this evening if anyone else wants in. It's hard to get six together for most wanted so it's a good chance.

AND the Prostreet servers are BACK UP and Race Day 1 is active, I'd hurry before another incident occurrs if I needed them.

Wow, shutting down Hasbro Family Game Night? That's a crock of shit. I used to play it religiously with my fiance when I would be out of town.

Alright, they must be going by east coast time or something. But I logged in at 9:30PM Pacific Daylight Time and the Burnout servers are dead. Argh... You can't at least leave the servers up until midnight for the west coast????

Damn you, EA. I'll make it a mission never to buy an EA game again or at worst, buy EA games used....

We're lucky they were up so long this time. Seems like one time they were down around 1AM EST the day of the server closures.

I shouldn't have procrastinated on MMA and BO:R. When I saw the servers were still up, I picked up selfboosting MMA. One win got me to the next to last belt achievement meaning 64000XP (2 hours) to get the final belt achievement and I needed to win the heavyweight belt to get the total online championships cheve. Struggled to match up the build up fights with myself, but slowly got there. While the championship match is loading, my secondary account gets knocked off ea servers and the cheve pops on my primary account. A minute later my primary account drops. Talk about good timing.

Switch to BO:R, boosting the races cheve needing about half and servers dropped with me 4-7 wins away. Still had crash and the grudge cheve left. Probably would have taken an hour, maybe a little more. So if I had just done another few hours of boosting during the gears event over easter I would have made it. To be fair though, I didn't realize the grudge'o'war cheve was online only until a day or two ago and I was too sick/medicated to play yesterday evening. It kinda bugs me, but really, I've never gotten all perfects on a Burnout yet. Close, but not all. MMA might have been 1000able for me though.

Just FYI, but MMA's servers stopped at 11:05PM est and Burnout: Revenge's stopped between 11:35 and 11:55PM est as you didn't get booted until the session you were in finished and then the game noticed no connection.

If anyone still needs the online achievement (I have it already) or just wants to play a game for Scrabble for fun before servers go offline, contact me.

The subscription is paid to XBL. The developers decide when to shut down servers. There is often a disclaimer in the manual saying they can shut down servers with 30 days' notice, especially for sports games.

EA maintains their own servers anyway. So, the XBL sub has nothing to do with it. Now, if we're arguing "online pass" games, then yeah...it's horseshit. But the only way to stop it is to vote with your wallets. As long as people keep supporting the product, you're just telling them how much you like it and to do it harder.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']EA maintains their own servers anyway. So, the XBL sub has nothing to do with it.[/quote]NBA 2K11 is not an EA game. It's barely a year and a half old.

But the only way to stop it is to vote with your wallets. As long as people keep supporting the product, you're just telling them how much you like it and to do it harder.
No argument there.

When the xbox was a fledgling console about to be born unto the gaming world, EA threatened to withhold it's games from the new console. Because Microsoft knew the xbox wouldn't survive without one of the biggest if not the biggest publisher, they caved and let EA run it's own servers, despite the fact that Microsoft would be running servers for nearly everyone else (see below). EA used precedence from the fact that they had control of PS2 servers to some degree. I don't know if they completely ran PS2 servers or if they just could decide when games wouldn't be supported on them anymore, but they definitely had the ability to shut them down like when they got the ESPN rights and immediately shut down the NFL2k5 servers. Or when they routinely shut down certain games such as they do now. EA also has control of PS3 servers.

There are only two other companies with some sort of involvement with servers. Sega/2k had some sort of control and 2k closes servers of games once they get a couple years old (usually) or are replaced with a new version (closing servers on the Bigs sometime after The Bigs 2 comes out). Also, Sega closed the servers for Chromehounds. Since 2k left Sega, Sega has not closed down another game so maybe that ability left with 2k? 2k also has control of PS3 servers, I don't know of any Sega games shut down on PS3 servers.

Also, supposedly, THQ has control over some ranked servers for certain games, but not all servers meaning unranked servers are not affected. Google Frontlines to see what random people on the interwebs say.

Of course, Sony shuts down games on PS3 servers as well. I remember The Show 2008 being closed pretty early.

[quote name='Spokker']NBA 2K11 is not an EA game. It's barely a year and a half old.[/QUOTE]

I know. This thread is largely for EA games though. I didn't realize your question was specifically about 2K11. Sports games are pretty much just a wild card. I've seen 2K shut down servers as soon as the next game came out though. At the end of the day, companies will do whatever they can get away with.

[quote name='jputahraptor']Anyone mind helping or need help with NBA 2K11 hit me up,

GT MegaManBomber[/QUOTE]I'll send you a FR.

Also, luckily no console games affected by this list, but I figured I'd post it anyway. Do windows phone games have achievements?

May 28, 2012 -- Online Services ShutdownConnected features for the following products will be discontinued May 28, 2012:
  • Bejeweled™ for feature phones
  • Bejeweled™ for Android
  • BOGGLE for Palm
  • BOOM BLOX™ for feature phones
  • CONNECT 4 for Palm
  • JAMDAT™ Bowling 2 for feature phones
  • Pictionary® for feature phones
  • Rock Band® for Android, iPhone, Palm and feature phones
  • Spore™ for iPod and feature phones
  • Tetris® for feature phones
  • The Sims™ DJ for feature phones
  • Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 09 for feature phones
  • Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 11 for feature phones
  • YAHTZEE™ for Palm

Unfortunately, this one slipped by. On July 16th 2K posted that NBA2k11 servers would go down on July 30th. I tried last night and all online features stated that the server was not available except ranked online games. Found an opponent and played a full game. I don't know if the ranked wins achievements still work though since I lost.

So you can't play teamup anymore? They said only roster updates and those features would to down not the game modes. Won't be buying 2k13 if that's the case.

[quote name='Dthib87']So you can't play teamup anymore? They said only roster updates and those features would to down not the game modes. Won't be buying 2k13 if that's the case.[/QUOTE]I didn't try team up. My impression was that only basic games work, but I don't know for sure.

BURNOUT REVENGE SERVERS ARE BACK UP!!!

Apparently, the servers for Burnout Revenge went back up a few weeks after the shutdown. I just tried an online match and I got on the servers. Noone was online of course, but hey it works so if you need one of those chevos, get em quick. I still need the crash mode, win 50 races and 100 revenges. I'm pretty close on the first two. Can't believe this went under the radar so long.

...of course I sold Burnout Revenge as soon as I heard the servers were going down. Ugh. Now I'll buy it again and they'll take them down for good a week later or something.

I didn't think Atari had the capability to shutdown servers, but here it is straight from litepink on trueachievements.com. If anybody wants to boost these, I need them as well and hope to knock them out before Borderlands 2 comes out.

Atari has revealed that the online severs for Test Drive Unlimited will be going out of commission on September 29th, 2012. This leaves you with about three and a half weeks to participate in multiplayer races and obtain the game’s several online only achievements. Those achievements are:

The MULTIPLAYER VIC. - LEVEL 1 achievement in Test Drive Unlimited worth 21 pointsTake 3 victories in multiplayer races. Only RANKED MATCHES are counted.

The MULTIPLAYER VIC. - LEVEL 2 achievement in Test Drive Unlimited worth 48 pointsTake 15 victories in multiplayer races. Only RANKED MATCHES are counted.

The MULTIPLAYER VIC. - LEVEL 3 achievement in Test Drive Unlimited worth 75 pointsTake 30 victories in multiplayer races. Only RANKED MATCHES are counted.

The SHARING CUSTOM CHALLENGES achievement in Test Drive Unlimited worth 21 pointsShare 3 custom challenges in the Drive-Ins.

The CUSTOM CHALLENGE VICTORIES achievement in Test Drive Unlimited worth 27 pointsTake 2 victories in the custom challenges of the Drive-Ins.

The CLUB MEMBER achievement in Test Drive Unlimited worth 15 pointsCreate a Club or become a member of an existing Club.

The CLUB RACE VICTORIES achievement in Test Drive Unlimited worth 30 pointsTake 3 victories in Inter-Club races.

The TRADE achievement in Test Drive Unlimited worth 14 pointsBuy or sell a vehicle from/to another member on TRADE.

There are several other achievements that are obtainable online but can be accomplished in single player as well; the above achievements require an online connection and therefore will be unobtainable at the end of the month.

Test Drive Unlimited was originally released six years ago in September 2006. Test Drive Unlimited 2 was released in February 2011, and will be unaffected by this server closure.

9-5 again: Did some more digging and found that there is another closure in a few days: Phantasy Star Universe servers will close September 7th 2012. This does not affect the achievements from the main game, just all of the achievements from the now free DLC. You must have a paid subscription to play the DLC, but any active subs will be refunded in a prorated fashion.

Also, apparently Konami runs its own servers for more recent PES games. Just found out the PES 10 and 09 are shut down, however, PES games from before are still up since those servers are run by Microsoft.

EA Server Closures:
October 11, 2012 -- Online Services Shutdown
  • EA SPORTS PGA TOUR Golf Challenge for Facebook
  • Tee Shot Live for iPhone and iPod Touch
  • Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 11 for PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360

Another one bites the dust soon:

November 1, 2012 -- Online Services Shutdown

• The Sims 3 Pets for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Doesn't seem to have any online cheevos...

[quote name='jdawgg76']Another one bites the dust soon:

November 1, 2012 -- Online Services Shutdown

• The Sims 3 Pets for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Doesn't seem to have any online cheevos...[/QUOTE]

My mother won't like this one.. :lol:

bread's done
Back