Shmup News & Discussion

Wow... that looks a lot more like Progear no Arashi than I expected. I like the visual style of the game, and it's nice to see another horizontal shmup, so I'm pretty excited for this. Hopefully it won't take too long to come stateside.

Gunwang looks pretty good. I wonder how much it'll be? They'll probably nickel and dime us and charge $15.

What happened to the days of $10 XBL games?

I guess $15 is the new $10.

Good day for Cave fans:

Daifukkatsu is coming to the 360 in November and will have a regular and limited edition

Dangun Feveron is coming out at some point.

Guwange is coming out in the Fall (dunno if it's just Japan, or if it's going to come out in all countries at the same time)

A two-pack with Pink Sweets and Mushi Mushi Pork is coming to the 360 in the Spring.

So that's all good stuff. I'm glad I bought a Japanese 360.

Hoping that they'll say something about the Dodonpachi Daioujou patch soon... they said they would address it at this Cave Festa event.

been playin Dodonpachi on iphone a bit this weekend.

it's good.

arcade mode is arcade mode, like espII it's broken coz u can move your ship as fast as u want.

but dang iphone mode is soooo good!!

but I like the music in arcade mode better.

Dondonpachi on the iPhone is pretty damn hard, but I'm a schmup wimp. Love them, but not that good at them. I really like Deathsmiles on the 360 too and am really looking forward to Guwange. Need a US release date, but I presume the release is worldwide together, so "Fall". Yes? Day one purchase for me, definitely, whenever it comes out. Need more US releases - Japanese releases too expensive in US for my blood. I'm wondering if we'll get Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 as a US release eventually (not in Japan, without region protection)? Would love to get that at a more reasonable price, and while I might be willing to fork out for the Japanese release, I'm worried it would then get a proper US release and I'd feel like a fool. :)

[quote name='JamMasterJ']Just got back from selling my Gamecube port of Ikaruga for rent money....This is sucks so bad. =([/QUOTE]

Just pick it back up on Xbox Live arcade when you have a few bucks in the future.

The new "Spend 2400 MS points, get 800 back" prompted me to finally bite on Raystorm HD. I like it. Maybe not for 1200 points but with the deal, it feels like 800. I got Triggerheart Excelcia too, it beats hooking up the DC every time I want to throw enemy ships around.

does that offer apply to non xbox gold users??

coz I was gonna buy KOF skystage, but if I dont get the points back I wont bother for now...

[quote name='JEKKI']does that offer apply to non xbox gold users??

coz I was gonna buy KOF skystage, but if I dont get the points back I wont bother for now...[/QUOTE]

I don't know but the offer popped up on my dashboard once I logged on so it's probably worth a look.

Pink Sweets and Muchi Muchi Pork combo pack is confirmed to be region free.

So if you wanna play the two gayest Cave games... now you can, even without an import system!

[quote name='Chacrana']Pink Sweets and Muchi Muchi Pork combo pack is confirmed to be region free.

So if you wanna play the two gayest Cave games... now you can, even without an import system![/QUOTE]

Eh? Do you even play shmups? One of those fools who jumps on the bandwagon after Aksys made a terrible port of DS?

The 'gayest' Cave shmup is without question Dangun Feveron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpF1dFMXSjM

lol yah wtf u bandwagon jumping fool!!

but btw why is the Death Smiles port terrible?? just slowdown issues I would assume??

also, Guwange... too difficult >_< I struggled to break 1 million in score mode and havent played since.

[quote name='fart_bubble']get the fuck out of here.

Darius is one of my favorite shmup series. Darius (worth the purchase on the VC), Darius Gaiden, Darius Twin, G-Darius and Metal Black (not a official Darius game but borrows quite heavily from the series) were my favorites[/QUOTE]oh hay!!

Darius Twin is on virtua console!!

I would download it, but my Wii is all hacked and everytime I wanna go into the online store I needa figure out how to hack it again so it'll allow me to do so.

hopefully soon I'll have sum free time and be less lazy to do just that!

I can't believe I haven't updated you on our two new Xona Games shmups, Decimation X3 and Score Rush. They are in the top 5 rated XBLIG games in Japan, as well as making up the #1 and #2 top selling: http://xona.com/2010/12/12b.html.

Decimation X3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEWWHUUJvxk&hd=1
Download: http://marketplace.xbox.com/Product/Decimation-X3/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550717

Score Rush:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtuiCoQBwD8&hd=1
Download: http://marketplace.xbox.com/Product/Score-Rush/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025855071c

Let me know what you think.

[quote name='gunm']Very cool! Too bad I don't like dual stick shooters. :( Decimation looks interesting, though.[/QUOTE]
I think dual stick shooters have a bad reputation, and Score Rush breaks that reputation. You should give it a try, being someone who doesn't like them, and let me know if it is so. It's basically a bullet-hell scrolling shump, not an closed-off arena-based shmup that most dual-stick shmups are. This might make a difference!

Picked up Guwange and Futari but haven't played them too much. (Too lazy to drag out my stick)

Pre-ordered Muchi Muchi and Pink Sweets. I played the board at a friend's gathering when it came out. Not a bad game.

How do you guys like KoF Sky Stage? I played the demo and thought it was ok.

I just opened up my copy of M. Futari (can never remember how to spell the first part), platinum hits, and I like it a lot. Is there a way in the US to get the Black Label mode? It appears to be something you have to buy, but when I press Y it churns for a bit and then says nothing is available for purchase. Any way to get this in the US?

I'm a lightweight with these games, but am proud to say I at least beat Novice mode in one credit. Pretty easily. I'm not doing so well in the normal mode. :)

You can make a Japanese XBL account, but you have to buy Japan MS points to pay for stuff off of there. There are import game shops that sell them.

[quote name='gunm']You can make a Japanese XBL account, but you have to buy Japan MS points to pay for stuff off of there. There are import game shops that sell them.[/QUOTE]

Play-Asia has point cards noted as for "Asia". Is that what I need? Also, any idea how many points the Black Label mode is?

If you want to buy off japan store you need yen card. Asia iirc is for non japan Asian territories. They won't work on a japan account.

Black Label should be region free, I don't kno why you are having trouble buying it...

if u have 1200 points then it should work, u don't need a jpn points or account

Actually JEKKI is right--you should be able to buy the Black Label DLC for Mushihimesama Futari off the US store. I need to pop my copy in once and a while. >_

Maybe it was a temporary hiccup. Last night when I tried to buy it it said there was nothing available. Maybe I'm not really hitting the right option? I selected "Black Label" and then it's all in japanese, but I pressed Y since that button was shown, and it churned a bit and then said nothing was available.

DeathSmiles... should I pick this up? I've never seen it at my local game stores. A friend just got it a week ago, and I'm going to try to play it today.

[quote name='suko_32']I think he was asking about 360 point cards.[/QUOTE]

Ooooooh yeah. Sorry about that. Neverminds.

What's the best shooter for the iphone/ipod touch. I need something to play on my new toy.

the two cave games, espgaluda 2 and ddp, without a doubt.

pick up Infinity Gene, that one is also really good.

and ISUD is ok,

most other shmups I try out always end up sucking and I end up deleting them after paying for them even X_X

Esp 2 and DDP on iphone are the best shmups right now, IMO. They are very pricey at $9 each though. I picked up Esp when it was $5, but am just settling for DDP Lite until there's another sale.

bread's done
Back