Shmup News & Discussion

[quote name='Kidorangepanda']Crunchewy, go to the xbl store, go to show all available D/L and the LAST on the whole list. Black label is 1200 points just to let you know.....[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks - I do see it there. I suppose I should find out what is in the Black Label add-on before forking out $15 for it! What does it add?

Ah, found the info on black label. Not sure it sounds worth $15.....

On a different note, I really like Decimation X3 (Indie), but wish it had online leaderboards. Anybody else playing it? What's your high score? My current is 1,235,331. I'm sure that's pathetic. One thing I find curious is that I seem to do better both in score and how long I last by playing in "challenge mode" with no shields. The shields are just a distraction.

EDIT: now up to 2,825,395. Fun game!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchewy']Ah, found the info on black label. Not sure it sounds worth $15.....

On a different note, I really like Decimation X3 (Indie), but wish it had online leaderboards. Anybody else playing it? What's your high score? My current is 1,235,331. I'm sure that's pathetic. One thing I find curious is that I seem to do better both in score and how long I last by playing in "challenge mode" with no shields. The shields are just a distraction.

EDIT: now up to 2,825,395. Fun game![/QUOTE]

My top score is 12M, Jason's is 15M, and I've seen a screenshot of some Japanese (I think) guy with 18M!!! If you can, please share your gameplay on YouTube. Would love to check it out!

[quote name='Matthew Doucette']My top score is 12M, Jason's is 15M, and I've seen a screenshot of some Japanese (I think) guy with 18M!!! If you can, please share your gameplay on YouTube. Would love to check it out![/QUOTE]

Via video camera or is there some better means I'm unaware of? My only current "video camera" is my iPhone, which does a fine job but I don't have a tripod for it. I keep meaning to pick up one of those... those spidery tripod things, whatever they are called, but haven't. Anyway, it doesn't sound like I'd have much to teach you. :)

[quote name='crunchewy']Via video camera or is there some better means I'm unaware of? My only current "video camera" is my iPhone, which does a fine job but I don't have a tripod for it. I keep meaning to pick up one of those... those spidery tripod things, whatever they are called, but haven't. Anyway, it doesn't sound like I'd have much to teach you. :)[/QUOTE]
Capture card is the best, but Jason just uses his digital camera. It's pretty cool to start sharing gameplay vids, so I'd give it a try. Not sure how the iPhone will capture, you must be running iPhone 4. If so, it should work.

I do have a iPhone 4, but the previous 3GS also shoots video (albeit not HD), as does the iPod touch 4G. Anyway, I'll see what I can do. Maybe I'll just prop it up on a table or something.

I tried uploading a test video to youtube, but it's just over 15 minutes and it seemed to reject it. How are you uploading videos of 15 million games when this under 2 million game was over 15 minutes? I'm not sure why anyone would want to watch me play Decimation X3 for 15 minutes anyway. :)

[quote name='Halo05']http://www.ncsx.com/2011/010311/ncs0103u.htm

I want this stick so hard but the price is way out of my range. At least I can look at pictures of it.[/QUOTE]

Odd that it uses Hori buttons. My HRAP EX-SE is all Siemitsu parts. Great stick. Or am I misreading that? The buttons on my EX-SE are colored too. I don't really like the layout they use, but it wasn't too hard to open up and move the buttons around. I put the ABXY in roughly normal Xbox button layout.

Cave sure likes to reuse graphics/effects. Not saying I wouldn't like to get it if it's region free, though. :)

EDIT: Ok, this is funny, but I think I was thinking of ... umm ... Dodonpachi Resurrection on the iPhone. Hmm, no wonder there's reuse. :)

[quote name='gunm']Anyone getting DDP Black Label? Comes out next month for J360. I dunno if it's going to be region-free like MMP/PS will be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht0CdMTr5KA[/QUOTE]

I will be. I'll be getting the retail version, because KetsuPachi looks amazing. Hard to believe it's just a month away. Why... it feels like just a month and a half ago I shelled out for Daifukkatsu!

Wait... it was.

I do hope that both Black Label and Ketsupachi are different enough from the original game, and ideally a bit more difficult as well.

My friend who likes shooters played a cave game (Guwange) for the first time this weekend and made this parody of Double Dragon as a testament to how much he hates cave games.

167739_10150130475398593_629073592_7681230_7207906_n.jpg

It's a manic beat em up! So many enemies on the screen, you can't see your own character!

Your friend misses the point. :cry:

Although, to be fair, Guwange can be tricky to learn. I can barely get out of the first level without continuing. >_<

Definitely need to get used to the patterns and the gameplay of each of the characters, let alone the scoring system. :p

Guwange is a very difficult game, but I'm a lightweight. Something about it hasn't quite clicked for me. I can get beat up in M. Futari and yet enjoy it. Guwange's control scheme is hard to wrap my head around - controlling that other thingermabob is difficult. I had more fun with the 360 version, that kind of turns it, sort of, into a dual-stick shooter, but not quite.

[quote name='crunchewy']Guwange is a very difficult game, but I'm a lightweight. Something about it hasn't quite clicked for me. I can get beat up in M. Futari and yet enjoy it. Guwange's control scheme is hard to wrap my head around - controlling that other thingermabob is difficult. I had more fun with the 360 version, that kind of turns it, sort of, into a dual-stick shooter, but not quite.[/QUOTE]

I don't like how you have to hold one of the triggers in 360 mode to move the shiki. WTF can't you just move the other stick without holding the button?

I think the One World decal advertising scheme is much more effective than the Star Alliance one. But its too bad that Ill only fly Start Alliance for the foreseeable future.

[quote name='2DMention']I don't like how you have to hold one of the triggers in 360 mode to move the shiki. WTF can't you just move the other stick without holding the button?[/QUOTE]

I presume that there's times when, from a scoring standpoint, you don't want the shiki out and about, but I don't really know. I just presume that's the case, as otherwise it makes no sense.

Why the hell does Zeit2 (XBLA) have up and down reversed?!? The game is kind of interesting with it's time reversal thing (think Braid), but the reversed up/down kills it dead. Push up to go down and vice versa. The options don't have a setting for this either. Were they just trying to make it harder? Weird.

Hey, Mamoru-kun is coming to (Japan) PS3. It's not the greatest game, but I'm just surprised it ended the 360-exclusivity. Now I wish Sorny and Cave would kiss and hug and actually port good shmups to PS3. :(

[quote name='ryosnk']Does anyone know what is in the muchi and pink sweet limited edition? Also is this coming to the states?[/QUOTE]

I don't know. I think you can play against some of the bosses from PinkSweets in Muchi Muchi on the LE.

Comes out the 24th I believe.

You sure it's not all the first print run copies that have the DLC, not just the LE?

Cuz that's how Cave's done it up till this point. Not sure if the policy changed or what.

who knows if they'll include sum kinda 1.01 ver or something??

but...

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/26/muchi_pink_date/

"The limited edition will include a download code for the Cave Festival version of Muchi Muchi Pork and a two disc Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets soundtrack CD.

The Cave Festival version of Muchi Muchi Pork is a special version that was on display at past Cave Festival events. Once you've defeated the boss of each stage, you face off against a Pink Sweets boss."

It's an "easier" shmup than Cave's typical releases. I'd say if you're new or want Cave Lite, then it's not a bad way to go. The game is a two n one pack which is also a nice bonus. The only way to get these before was via $1k+ arcade boards.

first of all, no these games are not easier. They are still rather difficult.

2nd, if you are only interested in Pink Sweets, then that game sucks. Not becoz it is bad, but becoz MMP is IMO a much better game so per your perspective PS would not interest you.

anyways, these games are both very fun and addicting!! If you have played other Cave games, these games play absolutely nothing like them!!

the reason is they were made by Shinobu Yagawa of Raizing/Battle Garegga fame and not the usual Cave people. Note I do not know who the usual Cave ppl are nor have I ever played Battle Garegga o_O lol

for starters, the enemy and bullet patterns arent typical Cave so off the bat the games feel different. Second there is no counter management, nor ship speed differences when using different shots, so the scoring systems are very different as well.

The scoring in both games is actually very simple, however the better you perform the higher your rank goes up making the game much more difficult. The depth of the games comes from controlling your rank while trying to maximize your score.

EOJ's review is here: http://www.cave-stg.com/?p=1041

and note the game defaults to version 1.01 unless you choose 1.00 in the options menu. Again, the games are very fun and addicting, regardless of port quality.

and yes the regular edition comes with DLC, but only the first run. Chances are, they're all gone by now.

Got PinkSweets/MMP yesterday and I must say these games are much more difficult than I was expecting.

I've heard people say that MMP is more of an entry level game like DS, but I found it tough (although I didn't play on easy)

So Do I need to start a JP account to redeem the DLC code?

I have a chance to buy donpachi pcb for $200, progear (cave) for $360 and battle garrega pcb for $250. Are these good prices?

Depends on the condition, and how complete it is--are those just the bare boards? If it has the art, then I'd say that it's a very good price.

The Garegga board is pretty hard to find, and those that are selling it want a silly amount of money for it, but on the other hand, you could just get the Saturn disc cheaper. My interest in arcade boards is over with. Unless you're good with fixing/maintaining them, it's just a pain in the ass to collect, not to mention a money sink compared to console versions.

[quote name='gunm']Depends on the condition, and how complete it is--are those just the bare boards? If it has the art, then I'd say that it's a very good price.

The Garegga board is pretty hard to find, and those that are selling it want a silly amount of money for it, but on the other hand, you could just get the Saturn disc cheaper. My interest in arcade boards is over with. Unless you're good with fixing/maintaining them, it's just a pain in the ass to collect, not to mention a money sink compared to console versions.[/QUOTE]

Just the boards. I just got an astro city arcade machine and I want to play some shmups on it but abit of me don't want to pay that much for donpachi and battle garrega since I do have them for my Saturn. I might go ahead and get progear since I always wanted to play it and I don't have to put the screen vertically.

New info on the XBLA release of Radiant Silvergun.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/1...rcade-retains-sega-saturn-animated-cutscenes/

Going to be a must buy for me--the Saturn version was one of those games that I just didn't have the stomach to shell out big bucks for.

Also, some info on Strania, G. Rev's XBLA shmup:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/xbla360/dossier-xbla-strania-the-stella-machina-/209801209030763

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Strania/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410aa5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4EC4m73SQk

bread's done
Back