Shmup News & Discussion

[quote name='Rooster752']Have any of you guys played shoot 1up yet? Its a cool xbox indie game where every time you get a powerup you get another ship to control. You can wind up controlling a whole fleet of ships at once. I wrote a review of it[/QUOTE]

That sort of sounds like that Wii game, the name of which is escaping me at the moment, where when you shoot enemy ships you can grab them and they attach to your ship Katamari style, and increase your firepower, but also your size making it easier to get hit. It's clever and amusing, but in the end I didn't really care for it that much. It seemed to prove just to be a gimmick trying to make up for a mediocre shooter.

Well i picked up Iron Clad and it is OK but I still prefer Air Zonk, Gates of Thunder, and star parodier on my VC. I was playing some Blazing Star Yesterday with a cool ship i never used to use. It is the one that powers up a small little flame out of the front of it for big bonuses and with another button press it gets a mini force field. I started using that ship because I took my mvs cart to a local arcade to trade for some games and the guy working there beat my high score by quite a bit with that aircraft.
What sucks about air zonk is they only give you 1 life in hard mode and the last level reminds me of megaman 3.

I wish some of the newer Neo Geo shooters would show up on the VC. I'd kill to have Pulstar, Blazing Star, and Shock Troopers.

[quote name='Halo05']I wish some of the newer Neo Geo shooters would show up on the VC. I'd kill to have Pulstar, Blazing Star, and Shock Troopers.[/QUOTE]
I have the shock troopesr mvs cart that is a different version frome the one in the snk compilation and i also have a blazing star mvs cart. I've never played pulstar but always wanted to try it cause i heard it was really hard. That reminds me i should try out some shock troopers on level 8 difficulty.

Ketsui isn't region free, eh? :(

Got ESPGaluda 360 today. This game is hard as fuck.

I'm not as impressed with the presentation as I am with Mushihimesama Futari. The interface is definitely a bit cheaper and it feels like there's more loading. The graphics and enemy designs are blander, but you're up against military shit instead of nature, so that's to be expected. One edge it has over mushihime (though maybe I just looked this option in mushihime) is remixed music.

On the plus side, and more importantly, the gameplay modes have more variety and I don't have to pay 1200 points for the black label mode. There also seems to be a lot more depth to it. wish I could play more today!

Too bad Raystorm HD is $15 fucking dollars. I can get it for half that price on the Japanese PSN and play it on PSP.

EDIT - Granted I'd be playing the PSOne version without the fancy HD but still, the game would be just as good.

Raystorm wasn't even a good game when it came out in like '95... Rayforce was fucking awesome, and then Raystorm basically did the same thing, except with ugly 3D and slower, less enjoyable gameplay. I'm not shelling out $15 for a high definition version of disappointment.

Oh, and Ketsui is fucking awesome.

Agreed. I'm not sure what Konami is thinking, especially since the Holiday game rush is going to begin around Sept and that kind of game is going to get lost in the shuffle rather quickly, particularly with the hype that's going to drop for the new motion control stuff. Still, I wonder if they're going to bring over the special arcade stick to go along with the game too.

[quote name='gunm']Agreed. I'm not sure what Konami is thinking, especially since the Holiday game rush is going to begin around Sept and that kind of game is going to get lost in the shuffle rather quickly, particularly with the hype that's going to drop for the new motion control stuff. Still, I wonder if they're going to bring over the special arcade stick to go along with the game too.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, they'd rape my wallet. There's no way I could resist that thing if it came out in the US.

I still like Raystorm. I'm not paying $15 for it but I remember playing it constantly near its US launch with the default settings, visions of winning the Working Designs high score contest dancing in my head. It remains one of the few shooters I played where I actually tried to take advantage of the scoring system as opposed to just trying to beat the game on one credit.

[quote name='dkreegz515']is there a list of exactly what Region Free shmups there are?[/QUOTE]

just Mushihimesama and Espgaluda 2 (normal edition only)

Finally got to play Deathsmiles arcade version at a local gamer gathering and was very impressed. Can't wait for the U.S. release on 360.

Crap, I totally forgot I pre-ordered Deathsmiles IIX from PA. They shipped it to me today before I had a chance to cancel it. :p

I still havent played Genetos... I still havent played Shoot 1up... have yet to play thru Gradius Rebirth... I havent even touched Raiden Fighters Jet yet...

and now another game I'll pick up and prolly never play jus came out.

I cant remember if I already posted trailer before... but whatever lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_FSAj4c17M

Hydorah

get it here: http://www.locomalito.com/juegos_hydorah.php for free!!

I swear one day I needa jus sit down and play thru all my classic shmup backlog... jus spend a whole day credit feeding til I beat the whole parodius series

New footage of Duality ZF (in development), you'll want to watch this until the end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_73E8Z_DjM&hd=1

EDIT: This is featuring 4 players controlling 8 fighters (a console shmup first) via G-MODE controls, which is the ability to control two linked fighters at once, with multidirectional firing. It's an unlockable control mode. You can also control two fighters at once via DUAL PLAY, which is controlling each fighter independently. I hope to have footage of four players doing that sometime!

Prismatic Solid came out a week or two again on xbox indie games. It has some interesting twists on the shmup formula. You can cycle among 6 weapons, which also configure these orbs that float around you and protect you/also deal damage to enemies. It's pretty trippy at times and has an interesting visual style.

http://www.armlessoctopus.com/2010/06/25/xbox-indie-review-prismatic-solid/

002926283307-117-e1274666786576.png

I just played through Vampire Rage on Xbox Live Indie Games. It's a vampire-based vertical shmup with 2 shot types, plus a lot going on with bullet deflection. It's short, but only $1. Nice production values too.

The developer doesn't have much info on thier blog site, so I'm linking to the article we did for it (don't feel obligated to click; just sending you to the only spot that has gameplay details):
http://8bithorse.blogspot.com/2010/07/vampire-rage-xbox-live-indie-games.html

yup. jus saw the trailer for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTsmPHdEZJ8

sold.

-EDIT-

another cool looking iphone stg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_O4UBcnA2Y

Icarus-X. it looks cool. I'll check it out.

I played a bit of Assault Squadron... didnt like it. very average by the books, touch controls kinda janky unlike espgaluda/infinity gene...

but the worst part is your power up tokens are often the same color as enemy shots. This is very bad shmup design -_-

Vampire Rage looks good for a $1. Kind of reminds me of Shikigami and this other game where you "deflect" the shots...the name escapes me at the moment though...

I'm sure glad I don't have to worry about buying PCBs for all the rare/popular Cave stuff. It's pretty ridiculous.

bread's done
Back