Shmup News & Discussion

[quote name='Halo05']I still don't understand why Japanese companies aren't releasing shmups on the PS3. Sure, Mushihime isn't region locked but everything else is. Did Sony reinstate their old "No 2d unless its a compilation!" rule or what?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure microsoft gave them a ton of dev units and the fact that its still easier to program on the 360 compaired to the PS3 helps. Also there was probably some money involved with the transaction ;)

okay, apparently it isn't "Black Level" but rather the Black Label game mode (though it's called Black Level in the marketplace).
From wiki

Black Label

It is a limited (150 copies) release of the game, with the following changes:

* Stages 3 and 5 have a darker color palette.
* No shot type selection. The resulting shot type is a mixture of Normal and Abnormal modes from previous games, and is much more powerful than in other versions.
* Scoring system changes. The score system for close range attacks is changed. Multipliers in Maniac and God mode now carry over between stages. Gold gems are far more abundant in all modes, allowing for much larger scores.
* God (極弩) mode. Replacing the Ultra mode, it uses a slightly modified Maniac mode score system, and preserves most of the bullet density of the replaced mode, but with new enemy arrangements and barrages. It has much more slowdown compared to Ultra mode and it is also much easier compared to Ultra mode, in fact most players consider Ver 1.0(1)'s Maniac mode to be harder than God mode.
* A new True Last Boss, Spiritual Larsa. She can only be reached by completing God mode without dying. She is easier than Ultra mode's True Last Boss.

seems kinda pricey for $15

[quote name='XxSmityxX']I'm pretty sure microsoft gave them a ton of dev units and the fact that its still easier to program on the 360 compaired to the PS3 helps. Also there was probably some money involved with the transaction ;)[/QUOTE]

I guess the first priority is to get the game made. Considering that the PS3 is doing so well in Japan you would expect that the shooters would make their way to the PS3. But then again, Sony needs to make it convenient for developers (small) [Edit: and large] to get their games on the system.

I finally just got an Xbox 360 and just started playing Raiden Fighters Aces. Brings back memories of when I would go to the mall and play Raiden Fighters at the local arcades.

I also have Raiden IV, but I'll wait until Christmas to open that one up. Am I missing any other Xbox 360 exclusive shmups released in the U.S., while I was gone?

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Am I missing any other Xbox 360 exclusive shmups released in the U.S., while I was gone?[/QUOTE]

not any retail games but there has been a few decent ones in the Indie game section

64 mil! I'm so 1337!!

2vabcex.jpg

grrrr!!! I cant beat S2 boss on maniac!! I always get random deaths on S2 and make it to the boss with no lives >_<

I need to get to S3 and beat Smity's high score.

Oh snap!

ahaha just seen the friend request, added. I've been playing alot of Black Label lately currently #7 in Arcade mode with 198,xxx,xxx cant remember exactly. If you catch up to my score on 1.5 I'll switch back over.

Liked to take a pic but some warning came up when i tried to access the leaderboards tonight? Oh well

[quote name='gunm']I'm still debating whether to get Espgaluda 2 360.[/QUOTE]

Im probably gonna grab it from NCSX alittle later after the Region info comes out and im not gonna waste my time trying to get the LE because it going to be pretty much impossible to snag since it is rumored to come with the faceplate!

And you thought Futari LE was hard to get wait for this one!

[quote name='fart_bubble']apparently, Mushihime Futari is selling below expectations with 14k having been sold so far.[/QUOTE]

Does this mean we can expect to see some type of price drop? Maybe a lil' bit? :D

I'll double dip on Death Smiles. In a way, I'm glad I haven't picked up that J360 yet. I may still eventually, but so far they ported over Raiden Fighters Aces and Raiden IV, Mushihime is region-free, and now DS is getting a port. Kinda wish Atlus was doing it, but I believe it's someone else.

oh, don't forget to check out the other games at that site.

Chain though very simple is pretty cool setup for a chain reaction shmup. Not very hard but still pretty cool to start a chain and set it up to run though your whole playthrough.

Lifecycle is another decent chain reaction game along the lines of Every Extend Extra. Simple mindless time suck

Ok, Aksys is doing the DS port. Not a surprise, I guess. I'm just glad it's coming here so I can actually play it, lol.

And o snap, they are including the Japan DLC in the package! I just creamed my jeans.

Deathsmiles Key Features:
  • Five Characters to Explore Gilverado

Choose Windia, the foppish English girl; Casper, the sassy German; Follett, the cautious French girl; or Rosa, the California valley girl. Travel down the roads of Gilverado and discover hidden conversations between the angels.
  • Mega Black Label

Test your supernatural powers against the onslaught of the Ice Palace and its forgotten protector! Put your skills to the test with a new scoring system that demands more, but pumps out even more explosions of shiny tokens!
  • Choose Your Path and Difficulty

You can choose your own route through the game’s stages and set the difficulty for each, from a level of 1 to 3. These difficulty levels allow you to customize the bullet count and boss toughness. Watch out if you choose level 3 four times, though…
  • Save and Play Back Replays

Save replays of your own games to watch later for your own enjoyment. Players can also download the top 20 scoring runs on the leaderboard.
  • Online Rankings & Online Co-op

Check out your score on the online leaderboard, with rankings for each character and game mode. Two-player cooperative play is also available via: Xbox LIVE® online entertainment network!

It was annouched with 3 other newer SNK titles. It leads me to think this was ment to be DLC all long. Still not sure on the price, but I don't think I'll bite for anything over 800 points, but something tells me it'll be 1200 points.

[quote name='Rodimus']It was annouched with 3 other newer SNK titles. It leads me to think this was ment to be DLC all long. Still not sure on the price, but I don't think I'll bite for anything over 800 points, but something tells me it'll be 1200 points.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, all of those games they announced that day are under the XBLA banner

[quote name='gunm']I'll double dip on Death Smiles. In a way, I'm glad I haven't picked up that J360 yet. I may still eventually, but so far they ported over Raiden Fighters Aces and Raiden IV, Mushihime is region-free, and now DS is getting a port. Kinda wish Atlus was doing it, but I believe it's someone else.[/QUOTE]

I still think you're foolish for having not. There's no reason for wasting your money on American 360 aside from RROD fears unless you MUST get Bullet Witch or Culdcept Saga in English. In every other gaming choice there is just a cheap, if not cheaper, Asian version of a Western developed game with English as an option so why bother?
MS might as well be whispering in your ear to buy the Japanese one, what with the additional exclusives the choice of buying an Asian or a Japanese 360 will net you.
What MS needs to do is create a system update to completely disable region coding. It's horseshit and there's no reason for it except for you to take what they say is in your right to play in your region, to believe that bs, just like with BR.
That's why I'm getting a Japanese DSi, that and I figure I'll like what they're offering to the Japanese exclusively more than here. I feel most of my tastes echo the Japanese and not most of the stuff most of the console gamers in America like now or what they SAY they like. I'm also not terribly impressed by most if not all Sandbox games, especially with how bland the character and environmental design usually is.

I recently bought a HORI Real Arcade Pro EX-SE so I'm especially interested in picking up 360 shooters now. I've always liked them, though I'm not good at the really hard ones. I've been playing Aegis Wing and that's pretty fun, especially for free. I'm an old-schooler too and have been having fun with Scramble, opting for original graphics and sound! I've got Raiden Fighter Aces on the way.

Do any of you play on a HRAP EX-SE? I'm thinking I'd like to open it up and rearrange the buttons, but I don't know if that's easy or not. That's my only complaint with it for shooters. Why did they put the B button above the A button instead of to the right of it? I presume that is some fighting game thing, but not sure.

I have more US 360 shmups than Japanese. I have only DS and Mamoru-kun that are J360 only. Mushihime is region-free. Spending $300 to import a console for just two games (one of which is already being localized) seems more foolish at the moment.

The only problem is that Japanese exclusive games are so expensive. I only paid $90 for my Japanese arcade but most game cost more half of that. I was looking to get Super Robot Taise XO but there is no deal for a 3 year old game.

[quote name='gunm']I have more US 360 shmups than Japanese. I have only DS and Mamoru-kun that are J360 only. Mushihime is region-free. Spending $300 to import a console for just two games (one of which is already being localized) seems more foolish at the moment.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with this. I have a J360 and to be honest it really isn't worth it. More so that DS is coming to the states I just do not see any reason to keep the system any more.

I don't regret picking up my 2 Jshmups, though. They're the LEs. I like to collect them and I forsee myself getting a J360 eventually. Even if I don't I'm sure I could at least get back what I paid for them (which was more or less MSRP) if I need to get rid of them.

I'm still waiting for amazon to put up the DS pre-order. :p

[quote name='crunchewy']Do any of you play on a HRAP EX-SE? I'm thinking I'd like to open it up and rearrange the buttons, but I don't know if that's easy or not. That's my only complaint with it for shooters. Why did they put the B button above the A button instead of to the right of it? I presume that is some fighting game thing, but not sure.[/QUOTE]

I got one of those for shooters and fighters, and I agree... The A/B button configuration is a strange design choice. Fortunately, you can usually configure the buttons in-game to do what you want. I know that at least Raiden 4 does this, because that's the one I'm currently playing. :)

I haven't opened up my stick, but it looks pretty easy if you wanted to open it up and move buttons around. The HRAP EX-SE uses real arcade parts, and arcade buttons/joysticks are designed to swapped in/out.

[quote name='gunm']I don't regret picking up my 2 Jshmups, though. They're the LEs. I like to collect them and I forsee myself getting a J360 eventually. Even if I don't I'm sure I could at least get back what I paid for them (which was more or less MSRP) if I need to get rid of them.

I'm still waiting for amazon to put up the DS pre-order. :p[/QUOTE]

Yeah and the J360s are pretty cheap as well. Im sure I will brake even, that and I have just been getting rid of a lot of random gaming shit ( more than one stick per console, imported systems ect ) Just want to clear out space.

PA has the Hori mushihime stick in stock $139.99. The stick is the usual Hori licensed stick (not at the RAP level of quality), but I'm surprised it's available.

[quote name='gunm'] Spending $300 to import a console for just two games (one of which is already being localized) seems more foolish at the moment.[/QUOTE]I donno mang... tell that to the ppl who buy the boards

shmup fans be crazier than naughty by nature

[quote name='yayece']I got one of those for shooters and fighters, and I agree... The A/B button configuration is a strange design choice. Fortunately, you can usually configure the buttons in-game to do what you want. I know that at least Raiden 4 does this, because that's the one I'm currently playing. :)

I haven't opened up my stick, but it looks pretty easy if you wanted to open it up and move buttons around. The HRAP EX-SE uses real arcade parts, and arcade buttons/joysticks are designed to swapped in/out.[/QUOTE]

So far I have yet to find a game that lets me configure the buttons. Obviously I'm picking the wrong games. For example, Scramble (XBLA). Yeah, yeah, but I like that old game. :)

When opening the HRAP, are you suppose to do so by removing the (hex) screws on top of the case or the phillips ones on the bottom? I'm thinking that top, but I want to be sure.

I opened up my EX-SE several days ago and moved the buttons around. I wasn't exactly sure how I wanted to arrange them, but ended up laying out A/B/X/Y like they are on a normal controller. I'm definitely happier with it this way.

The "quick disconnects" weren't as easy to remove as I was expecting. I had to use a pair of pliers to grab them and get enough force to pull them off. It was a bit scary, but worked out. I also had to figure out that the buttons come out the front of the panel. FYI, you push in the two tabs on the sides and then push the button through the panel from the bottom. I've now got them layed out like this:

Code:
     X Y LT LB
    A B RT RB

The triggers/bumpers aren't ideal, but I don't know what the ideal arrangement would be for those and I think any game in which I'd use them on this stick would probably be a game that lets you setup the layout however you want, so it probably doesn't matter.

Anyway, $150+ for the EspgII LE over there...I dunno, I can't bring myself to do it, even with the faceplate bonus. Plus NCSX charges me up the ass for shipping and handling. Not even PA charges as much. :p

I might wait since the DS LE ended up staying available for some time after release (albeit with a higher price tag).

[quote name='ninja dog']The ESPGaluda SE is confirmed to be region-free by ncsx, apparently. Order away!

also, gunm, you have an impostor on the forum![/QUOTE]

Where does it say that?? I can't find it on ncsx.com

bread's done
Back