Slowly we rOTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='wubb']
On the media question. Is something like this (http://meritline.com/ritek-ridata-16x-dvd-r-media-dvdr-ridata-branded.html) acceptable or the type of disc that is going to go bad on me way too early? Is there a way you can tell that a disc is decent or do you have to go with by brands? And ouch, one 100 disc spindle is $10 shipping to me.[/quote]

Ritek/Ridata, Maxell, Fuji, and TDK are considered mediocre (TDK being the best of the 4) as far as DVD-r's are considered. The two brands which are considered top notch are Taiyo-Yuden and Verbatim. The only issue is there are a lot of counterfeit TY's out there, so you have to make sure you order them from a reputable source (such as meritline or supermediastore). Pretty much every other brand on the site I would shy away from (BenQ, ProDisc, HP, Memorex, Pioneer, Philips, etc.). If you are really interested in learning about the discs, disc types, etc., go to forums.afterdawn.com. You'll learn more than you really wanted to know if you spend enough time looking around.

edit: actually, since the last time I researched this stuff was abot a year ago, it looks like Ritek/Ridata has gotten a lot better and is almost on the level of TY and Verb. Anyways, meritline has a FAQ about DVD-R's, so start there- http://meritline.com/faq-dvd-blank-media-burner-burning-software.html. It's got all the basic info you'll want.

Thanks man. buy.com has a pretty good deal on a 100 spindle of Verbatim right now (with a rebate) plus free shipping. I might just go with that.

A little annoyed that they still haven't shipped my notebook cooler (it's been stuck in "sent to warehouse" status for a couple days which in my experience means it's actually on double secret back order.) but I can't let that get in the way of being cheap.

I'm annoyed that UPS *always* manages to deliver things so fucking late on the day I want them early.

My girlfriend works 11:30 - 8, was going to get some prime Jade Empire time before I have to leave around 6 for the post office, but nope, UPS is taking its sweet time as usual.

I hate the damn UPS, it's like they almost put me last every time out of spite.

[quote name='Roufuss']Yea, something about how two different developers worked on both the PS2 and Xbox / PC versions, and for some reason, they weren't talking to each other - so the PS2 team got certain games to run at 100%, and the Xbox / PC got certain games to run at 100%, so the PS2 game has exclusives over the Xbox one, and vice versa.

I call BS, but whatever.

Elevator Action Returns is totally worth the $20, good times right there.

Xbox one is only for Europe, btw.[/quote]Lovely. Any idea where you could see what the different versions have?

[quote name='Roufuss']I'm annoyed that UPS *always* manages to deliver things so fucking late on the day I want them early.

My girlfriend works 11:30 - 8, was going to get some prime Jade Empire time before I have to leave around 6 for the post office, but nope, UPS is taking its sweet time as usual.

I hate the damn UPS, it's like they almost put me last every time out of spite.[/QUOTE]

My guess is you happen to be at the end of your guy's route. The USPS guy doesn't get to me until 4PM or later most days. Just how the cards fall. When this guy first started a year or so ago he was just awful. Quite often he'd be by at 6PM or later. I guess he's gotten a little more efficient with time. We have 2 mailbox stands with 12 boxes each (so 24 boxes total) and, I shit you not, he'd sometimes be out there for a good 30-40 minutes+ doing just those 24 boxes. Yikes.

[quote name='shrike4242']Lovely. Any idea where you could see what the different versions have?[/QUOTE]

Xbox has Cadash, Raystorm (or maybe Force, I don't know) and Bubble Symphony.

PS2 has a Darius game, and two other things I can't remember.

IIRC, the Xbox one works on US Xbox's but you've got to import it from a European site.

To me, I never played the games, so it doesn't matter much that I'm missing a few.

Normally when you buy a bundle of 50 or 100 discs, they come on a spindle to hold the discs. The ones that say, no stacking ring just come shrink wrapped without the spindle, so you'll need a random spindle lying around somewhere or be extra careful once you open it up so you don't have 50-100 discs scattered across your desk.

Production companies shaving costs to save every last penny (and making buying their product that much cheaper)

[quote name='Warner1281']Normally when you buy a bundle of 50 or 100 discs, they come on a spindle to hold the discs. The ones that say, no stacking ring just come shrink wrapped without the spindle, so you'll need a random spindle lying around somewhere or be extra careful once you open it up so you don't have 50-100 discs scattered across your desk.

Production companies shaving costs to save every last penny (and making buying their product that much cheaper)[/QUOTE]

Makes sense.

[quote name='Roufuss']Xbox has Cadash, Raystorm (or maybe Force, I don't know) and Bubble Symphony.

PS2 has a Darius game, and two other things I can't remember.

IIRC, the Xbox one works on US Xbox's but you've got to import it from a European site.

To me, I never played the games, so it doesn't matter much that I'm missing a few.[/quote] Might be worth tracking down both versions, if the Xbox one will work on a US Xbox. :whistle2:s And it looks like it does, from multiple places I've found.

From Atariage.com about the two different game sets:
The XBox exclusives are:
Bubble Symphony
Cadash
Pop 'n' Pop
RayForce

Fortunately, the XBox exclusives are also available on the PC version.
icon_mrgreen.gif

PS2 exclusives are:
Balloon Bomber
G-Darius
RayStorm
Syvalion

And the other games are:
Alpine Ski
Arabian Magic
Bonze Adventure
Cameltry (known as Off the Ball on SNES. Played this on a multi-game arcade machine at AnimeBoston 2007, lots of fun!)
Chack'n Pop
Cleopatra Fortune
Crazy Balloon
Darius Gaiden
Don Doko Don
Dungeon Magic
Elevator Action Returns (Now I don't need to import the Saturn version!
icon_mrgreen.gif
)
The Fairyland Story
Football Champ (Super Soccer Champ on the SNES)
Front Line (oh yeah!)
Gekirindan
Grid Seeker: Project Storm Hammer
Growl
Gun Frontier
Insector X
KiKi KaiKai
Kuri Kinton
Legend of Kage
Liquid Kids
Lunar Rescue (never thought I'd see this one come home)
Metal Black
Nastar Warrior (Also known as Rastan Saga 2)
Puchi Carat
Puzzle Bobble 2
Qix
Raimais
Space Invaders 95
Space Invaders DX (what's next? Space Invaders The Movie? XD)
Super Space Invaders 91
Violence Fight
Wild Western

[quote name='AngellicLulu']An elementary school in Brandon, Florida. I teach the gifted children.[/QUOTE]

How does one walk into Mordor choose to teach just the gifted children?

I keep thinking at some point I'm going to have to teach in my lifetime, and I am honest enough with myself that I could only handle that sort of student.

Now whether or not I actually ever teach is a different story, and even then I'd do it in Language Arts.

Wow, haven't played games on my ps2 in a long time. Just loaded up God of War and the date of my last save file is August 12, 2005.

[quote name='Strell']How does one walk into Mordor choose to teach just the gifted children?

I keep thinking at some point I'm going to have to teach in my lifetime, and I am honest enough with myself that I could only handle that sort of student.

Now whether or not I actually ever teach is a different story, and even then I'd do it in Language Arts.[/quote]Wangmotion can't be taught. It's passed down through your descendants.

So far Shrike, it is an awesome set - just have to remember they are pick up and play arcade games, and it'll be ok (i.e not a lot of depth).

I like this A LOT more than the Capcom Classics Collection's, which feel like 25% good games and the rest are mostly filler shit.

Also, it helps if you like shmups, since at least 7 or 8 of the games are shmups.

Hmmmm.

My mom gave me fifteen bucks for pizza for dinner. This means that I probably don't want frozen-ish pizza for lunch. Unfortunately, we have no bread or turkey.

This brings me to a question of: What do I eat for lunch?

Do I go to the store and get sandwich materials, or do I just get some sort of fast meal? I would like to spend under five dollars. Decisions, decisions...

:whistle2:k

Would you say those games in the Taito collection are good for the nostalgia factor? Or would they be fun for a first-time player?

[quote name='Roufuss']So far Shrike, it is an awesome set - just have to remember they are pick up and play arcade games, and it'll be ok (i.e not a lot of depth).

I like this A LOT more than the Capcom Classics Collection's, which feel like 25% good games and the rest are mostly filler shit.

Also, it helps if you like shmups, since at least 7 or 8 of the games are shmups.[/quote]
Nice to hear. I'll order it from GS/EB shortly.

Also, I found a place in the UK to import the Xbox version. 19.99 GBP + 5.72 GBP for shipment to the US. Around $51 US. :shock:

[quote name='sixersballernum3']:whistle2:k

Would you say those games in the Taito collection are good for the nostalgia factor? Or would they be fun for a first-time player?[/QUOTE]

I don't have nostalgia for any of these games except 1, so I'm a first time player for all of them.

I've played 3 or 4 game so far and had a blast with all of them - they are some solid arcade fun, and you can't really beat the $20 price tag for 39 games.

Shrike, might want to check EB / GS locally, since all the stores in my area now either stock it, or are expecting to stock it. It took EB a week to ship it to me Media Mail with Saver.

Oh, and when I hear "gifted children," I think of retarded kids. Clearly, they are not very gifted. Well,
maybe with the gift of comedy.

Maybe I'll get Taco Bell. I haven't eaten there in such a long time, but at the same time, one chalupa is like 340 calories or so. Ugh, why is the convenient food so horrible?

I bet you wish you had a 1.5TB raid array. :cool:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Hmm ... well yesterday it was just disappearing folders, but now I think that hard drive is completely dead. Maybe that was a warning sign. :whistle2:k :lol:

Lost all my music, it looks like. :cry:

Oh yeah, and my pics and just about everything else I didn't want to lose.[/quote]

[quote name='Maklershed']Think I'll stop by Best Buy tonight to see if they have Odin Sphere (and use my 12% off coupon on it).[/QUOTE]

I heard they are getting it the 29th.

[quote name='Roufuss']I don't have nostalgia for any of these games except 1, so I'm a first time player for all of them.

I've played 3 or 4 game so far and had a blast with all of them - they are some solid arcade fun, and you can't really beat the $20 price tag for 39 games.

Shrike, might want to check EB / GS locally, since all the stores in my area now either stock it, or are expecting to stock it. It took EB a week to ship it to me Media Mail with Saver.[/quote]

I see. Maybe when I go to get Odin, they'll have Taito 2 as well and I can use my other $10 credit to get it for $10. Seems like a solid deal to me.

[quote name='prmononoke']Oh, and when I hear "gifted children," I think of retarded kids. Clearly, they are not very gifted. Well,
maybe with the gift of comedy.

Maybe I'll get Taco Bell. I haven't eaten there in such a long time, but at the same time, one chalupa is like 340 calories or so. Ugh, why is the convenient food so horrible?[/QUOTE]

Well, will that one chalupa fill you up?

I'm guessing not. But two wouldn't be terrible for you as long as you limit your other caloric intake.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Well, will that one chalupa fill you up?

I'm guessing not. But two wouldn't be terrible for you as long as you limit your other caloric intake.[/quote]
Yeah, it definitely wouldn't. I may go to Mr. Goodcents. I've got a Pogo Card which allows me to get whole sub for the price of a 1/2 sub. And I need to go to the bank, which is right next to Mr. Goodcents.

i just 3-starred "sharp dressed man" and "another thing coming" on my first try on hard. i'm proud of myself. while wearing a bikini. lionhart enjoyed that. no, there are no pictures. and if there were, i might post them, but there's not so sorry. and no, i'm not wearing the bikini anymore.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Well, I made a post in the pogeymanz boards. *brace*[/quote]

Let the PM Box start filling up :lol:

[quote name='Strell']How does one walk into Mordor choose to teach just the gifted children?

Now whether or not I actually ever teach is a different story, and even then I'd do it in Language Arts.[/quote]
Florida has a gifted program. It depends on the school district but here in Hillsborough it tends to be science/math. I end up teaching several grade levels but they're all gifted (some more noticably than others:lol:)

This is why I love bash.org:

#764876 +(2049)- [X]

Curt teh Juggler: our graduation ceremony was today, and right when some gamer nerd got his diploma, someone in the audience played the zelda "get item" music and he did the zelda spin-hold-out-item stance
Curt teh Juggler: it was quite possibly the most amazing thing ever.

I drove all the way to work (thirty minutes) way below E, on my tank, so I could get my paycheck in order to buy gas.

I stopped at a friend's house, near work, and stole some gas out of his garage. He wasn't home.

I'm a miscreant.

Hmm. It looks like the guys at KoL are totally fucking over the play system for casual players in a month in an effort to curtail people who exploit the games few problems to beat it in 1-2 days.

Splendid.

[quote name='Brak']I drove all the way to work (thirty minutes) way below E, on my tank, so I could get my paycheck in order to buy gas.

I stopped at a friend's house, near work, and stole some gas out of his garage. He wasn't home.

I'm a miscreant.[/QUOTE]When my gauge reads E I've found out I have 4 gallons of gas left. What the hell? I'd rather know where it actually is than to be scare mongered into buying gas.

Also, I've had these hiccups for about 10 minutes now and they're already getting old. What a worthless involuntary reaction. Maybe the worst.

[quote name='jmcc']When my gauge reads E I've found out I have 4 gallons of gas left. What the hell? I'd rather know where it actually is than to be scare mongered into buying gas.[/QUOTE]
I've been trying to figure that out, myself... but my gas gauge is really inconsistent.

I've ran out of gas when it was slightly before E. Sometime I'll drive for miles with it waaaaay below E.

[quote name='jmcc']When my gauge reads E I've found out I have 4 gallons of gas left. What the hell? I'd rather know where it actually is than to be scare mongered into buying gas.

Also, I've had these hiccups for about 10 minutes now and they're already getting old. What a worthless involuntary reaction. Maybe the worst.[/quote]

Easiest, most effective way to rid yourself of hiccups... Inhale as much air as your lungs can possibly hold and hold your breath for about 15 seconds (it should be just barely uncomfortable). Once you let the air out your hiccups will be gone.

Hiccups are the result of your diaphragm having a muscle cramp. The easiest way to stretch out that muscle is as described above.

I've come to conclusion that the current level of internet discussion about high-def televisons is the equivalent of class warfare.

Basically the Have's tell the Have Not's that they're better than they are and the Have-Nots arguing they're just as good. Except instead of having the balls to just come out and asay it, they refer to televisions.

It's always llike, "Well, my $3000 TV will always be worlds better than you're $800 TV." And then the guy who can only affor the $800 Tv say's that's not true. "My TV is just as good, but I'm smarter for not paying $2000 more. Every one will see a TV differently." Then the rich guy will talk about, "Color Balance, uniformity, and Brand Quality." REasserting his intelligence and insulting the poor guy for being delusional. Then they always break out the 1080 vs 720.

It doesn't matter that there are both pros and cons on all sides of the debate. The argument basically comes down to class warfare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back