SONY PS3 SLIM Thread, AVAILABLE NOW $299, SHARE YOUR STORIES

My girlfriend still has a few RPGs on the PS2 that she wants to play so BC on the PS3 would be nice for the upscaling and all. But we have a PS3 slim so it isn't a deal breaker. I wouldn't mind having the option to play PS2 games on my PS3, but realistically, I want to play PS3 games on my PS3...ya know?

well this is awesome my 60gig is being weird and i figured id get a new one..... i wonder if i can get a pick of that poster wen da deal goes live and go price match at BB

[quote name='SynGamer']My girlfriend still has a few RPGs on the PS2 that she wants to play so BC on the PS3 would be nice for the upscaling and all. But we have a PS3 slim so it isn't a deal breaker. I wouldn't mind having the option to play PS2 games on my PS3, but realistically, I want to play PS3 games on my PS3...ya know?[/QUOTE]

I still play the Arcade Party Pak from PS1 on my PS3 at times to play some Klax. It's still fun and frustrating after all these years.

Heres my thinking.

#1. You can forget about BC, its not gonna happen again, at all. At least anytime soon, and If it does cost wise it would be too expensive to put in a chip into the Slim, because the Slim is about cost cutting. If BC ever happens again, It will be on a per game basis per download or a Firmware update for everyone.

#2. Slim PS3 expect an External Power supply.

#3. From the looks of it no more SD card and Memory stick slots.

#4. Its a Bigger 120GB Hard Drive and a Slimmer console. I will personally 100% Gurantee the Slim will Cost $349.99 or $399.99, people will say YES, for the heck of it Slimmer, 120GB HDD, and 45nm CPU and 45nm GPU are worth the extra $50, and possibly a 4x Bluray Drive

#5. The 80GB SKU is dead when it drops to $299.99 get it while you can find it there will not be any more Sony has stopped making them. Why would the keep making expensive 80GB SKU, when they can make more profit by making the Slim.

#6. Expect to See Some high demand Slim Bundles, Uncharted 2 Slim Bundle.
God of War 3 Slim Bundle

#7. Historically and Sony's know way of doing things backs up my thinking.

#8. It is very likely that the Slim's 120GB HDD will not be user replaceable, that it is permanently fixed in there (like Xbox 1). This would allow for more slimming since they can get rid of the cage screws etc.

a. new PSP-Go more built in storage 45nm CPU Premium SKU $249.99 It is Slimmer might as well call it PSP Slim, all previous Sony "Slim" models have cost more than the Fat model it replaces.

New better Hardware $299
Old outdated Hardware $299

This just aint gonna happen.

Now I've got this idea in my head that this event (I never heard of Gamescon until this thread) on Tuesday could be some standard event with Sony announcing the price drop, showcasing some upcoming games, and patting themselves on the back. The PS3 Slim, in the meantime, is announced later for the holiday season or next year.

[quote name='Master Ninja']Heres my thinking.

#1. You can forget about BC, its not gonna happen again, at all. At least anytime soon, and If it does cost wise it would be too expensive to put in a chip into the Slim, because the Slim is about cost cutting. If BC ever happens again, It will be on a per game basis per download or a Firmware update for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Sony has 2 patents that were recently released for public viewing that has the CELL and RSX being used to emulate PS2 games on the PS3. It's real, and it's going to happen sooner than you think.

[quote name='KingDox']I played Black on my 360 like 4 days ago. It was the last xbox games I didn't own and I just found a copy at GameCrazy for 5 bucks (I refused to pay more then $10 for such an old ass game).

Really BC is the only deal breaker for me. My back log is like 30 games, why would I rush out and buy a PS3 if it doesn't have all the features I want? It's not like I'm asking for a 360 with blu-ray. The PS3 can and has been able to play PS2 games. I know it's possible, and waiting doesn't hurt me, I have plenty of games to play. And while I wait the Blu-ray games/movies I want to will just get cheaper.

This is CAG, I'm used to waiting for something I want.[/QUOTE]

I'm completely with you. I'm *still* playing Fire Pro Wrestling Returns and slowly slogging my way through the first Disgaea, and until I can continue to do that with a new system at a reasonable price point, I'm just not that interested. What, are PS3 games going to rot on the shelf if I don't play them right now? I don't think so. That's not some weird "system war" thing -- I was just as steamed when Peter Moore was talking his bull about how MS "overdelivered" on its BC, and obviously I'm getting use out of my elderly PS2 -- even though some of you people seem to take "I want BC" as a personal affront for whatever reason. As far as I can see, Sony needs my money more than I need to play anything on their system right now*, so I'm content to wait and see what happens with the Slim. If it's BC, at whatever price point, then eventually it'll be worth it for me. If not ... well, maybe their *next* system will have it, and I'll get around to playing the exclusives that interest me then.

Myke is right: this is like a thread right out of 2006, but maybe not in the way he was thinking -- people are copping such ridiculously defensive attitudes -- "Oh, boo hoo, BC is for whiners" -- that I thought ManaKnight learned how to multi-box.

*Disclaimer: Opinion is subject to change once The Last Guardian is out.

[quote name='Cage017']Now I've got this idea in my head that this event (I never heard of Gamescon until this thread) on Tuesday could be some standard event with Sony announcing the price drop, showcasing some upcoming games, and patting themselves on the back. The PS3 Slim, in the meantime, is announced later for the holiday season or next year.[/QUOTE]

The supply channel seems to be drying up extremely quickly...I don't think the announcement will be in a few months, but rather a couple days. You need your product on the shelf in order to sell it. If stores are liquidating PS3s right now, and Sony has stopped shipments, there's no way Sony will go until the holiday season with no PS3s available.

[quote name='Master Ninja']Heres my thinking.

#1. You can forget about BC, its not gonna happen again, at all. At least anytime soon, and If it does cost wise it would be too expensive to put in a chip into the Slim, because the Slim is about cost cutting. If BC ever happens again, It will be on a per game basis per download or a Firmware update for everyone. We already know it would have to be software driven, they removed the hardware with the 40GB.
#2. Slim PS3 expect an External Power supply. Thats a given.

#3. From the looks of it no more SD card and Memory stick slots. They were removed with the 40GB a long time ago, you figure this nugget out on your own?

#4. Its a Bigger 120GB Hard Drive and a Slimmer console. I will personally 100% Gurantee the Slim will Cost $349.99 or $399.99, people will say YES, for the heck of it Slimmer, 120GB HDD, and 45nm CPU and 45nm GPU are worth the extra $50, and possibly a 4x Bluray Drive. Thanks for the guarantee, who are you again?

#5. The 80GB SKU is dead when it drops to $299.99 get it while you can find it there will not be any more Sony has stopped making them. Why would the keep making expensive 80GB SKU, when they can make more profit by making the Slim. No shit, thanks for the update.

#6. Expect to See Some high demand Slim Bundles, Uncharted 2 Slim Bundle.
God of War 3 Slim Bundle GOW bundle should be in there also.
#7. Historically and Sony's know way of doing things backs up my thinking. LOL

#8. It is very likely that the Slim's 120GB HDD will not be user replaceable, that it is permanently fixed in there (like Xbox 1). This would allow for more slimming since they can get rid of the cage screws etc. While I dont't doubt this completely, it wouldnt make any sense at all to do

a. new PSP-Go more built in storage 45nm CPU Premium SKU $249.99 It is Slimmer might as well call it PSP Slim, all previous Sony "Slim" models have cost more than the Fat model it replaces.

New better Hardware $299
Old outdated Hardware $299

This just aint gonna happen.[/QUOTE]

I dont see where we are getting offered better hardware, outside of the smaller package everything will just be advancements like the GPU and CPU, natural progression. There is no reason that they couldnt sell this slim for the same price as current systems are selling for. Except, at the current price they are not selling so a price cut would seem to be in order. Weather its $50 or $100 is up to Sony.

It's funny how I'm always classified as one of the "biggest" fanboys, yet I don't nearly talk as much shit as 80% of the people in this thread. Yeesh.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are fighting over $50 bucks I say IMO. That people Would pay the $50 for lets say.

#1. Because it is Slimmer and smaller.

#2. There is more storage space 120GB

that alone, to me is worth $50 more

also of value to me and others. Is that it is 45nm CPU and 45nm GPU uses less power and is more reliable thats worth something.

And it would not be out of place to possibly move from a 2x Bluray Drive, to a 4x Bluray drive if they can get the 4x Bluray Drive for the same if not cheaper than the 2x by now.

Also Pricing the Slim at $299 and releasing it soon. Virtually assures that the 80GB fat model will NOT sell.

Why Buy a $299 Fat when in 30 days I can get a Better Slimmer 120GB model for the same price, it makes no sense. The only way Sony prices the Slim at $299 is if they Do Not Want to Sell any PS3's.

[quote name='Master Ninja']We are fighting over $50 bucks I say IMO. That people Would pay the $50 for lets say.

#1. Because it is Slimmer and smaller.

#2. There is more storage space 120GB

that alone, to me is worth $50 more

also of value to me and others. Is that it is 45nm CPU and 45nm GPU uses less power and is more reliable thats worth something.

And it would not be out of place to possibly move from a 2x Bluray Drive, to a 4x Bluray drive if they can get the 4x Bluray Drive for the same if not cheaper than the 2x by now.

Also Pricing the Slim at $299 and releasing it soon. Virtually assures that the 80GB fat model will NOT sell.

Why Buy a $299 Fat when in 30 days I can get a Better Slimmer 120GB model for the same price, it makes no sense. The only way Sony prices the Slim at $299 is if they Do Not Want to Sell any PS3's.[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, this happened back when the PS2 slim came out. We had tons of the brick in stock as well as the slim. I sold out of both versions, the brick we just stopped getting, the slim continued to sell fantastically. So I really don't get why Sony would be making a mistake putting out a slim and expecting to still sell current models. Also where is the facts that the slim is going to be 120 gigs. I have heard this from more than one person. WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT A SLIM MODEL. It's all just ghost stories and rumors.
$399 - $299 = $100 the last time i checked.
Who is fighting?

Im still trying to find a pic of Ken Kutaragi fighting a crab.

but your opinion is appreciated :D

[quote name='Master Ninja']
Why Buy a $299 Fat when in 30 days I can get a Better Slimmer 120GB model for the same price, it makes no sense. .[/QUOTE]
It's all about being alone, desperate and not getting any... wait? What are we talking about?

[quote name='jh6269']So is God of War 3 Going to be 1080p native resolution?
Pixeljunk Eden, Wipeout HD, Super Stardust HD are in 1080p, but those games are much smaller compared to Uncharted, Killzone 2, etc.

Anyway, I honestly have no idea, so I'm just wondering.[/QUOTE]

Yep, in fact Sony Santa Monica announced it was going to be native 1080p back in 2007 and its been echoed out there for awhile. The E3 demo was probably the best thing I ever seen play on the PS3 right next to Uncharted 2.

Which brings me to another point...

It'll be interesting to see what they could cram on a 50-gig dual layer BD with such high-quality textures. Killzone 2 was already big with each level being at least a few gigs. Now with Naughty Dog having to pull extra content from Uncharted 2 because they were hitting the limit.

Just the talk of filling BDs already has me thinking how much can they really put on it for a large-scale 1080p game.

Here's my guess:

1) Sony announces price drop on current models (as pictured) this week or next.
2) Sony reveals PS3 Slim at TGS. Price is $399.99 (possibly $349.99).

[quote name='CheapyD']Here's my guess:

1) Sony announces price drop on current models (as pictured) this week or next.
2) Sony reveals PS3 Slim at TGS. Price is $399.99 (possibly $349.99).[/QUOTE]

#2. At the Tokyo Game Show 9-24 to 9-27-2009.

If Sony does not show off the Slim on Tuesday at Gamescon In Germany or what ever it is called there will be a Meltdown.

I agree with CheapyD, But it makes me sad. Logically he is on point. On Tuesday the announce a price drop to $299 and clear out the 80GB SKU.

And at TGS Tokyo Game Show in September they show off the Slim for $349.99 or $399.99

with 120GB HDD, Slimmer, and Full BC.

People will go nuts, especially if its $349.99

Historically and traditionally Sony has Debuted the Slim Models at TGS. Its just how things are done.

I mean think about it guy. What would happen to the 80GB SKU if Sony dropped its price to $299., But announced that the Slim will launch also at $299???

Who would buy a fat 80GB model?

no joke, i have owned my ps3 since launch and i can say i had it first. therefore, im just better +1 me A++++

I hope that Sony really pushes the PS3 hard (commercially) when the price drop happens. There's a great library of games, and also there's a lot of 10 - 15 dollar blu rays floating around; its taken a long time, but the PS3 is becoming an affordable, for the masses mainstream system. Even with the price point, I hope that Sony releases a new ad campaign to help it out.

Historically and traditionally Sony has Debuted the Slim Models at TGS. Its just how things are done.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to bust your balls here or anything, but this reminded me of a line from Major League when the guy says they "won two in a row" and "win one more and that's a winning streak".

The point is, Sony has come out with how many slim models in their time? PS1, PS2, PSP....am I missing anything? That's three that I know of. How is that tradition?

My fraternity got mad when I chose a different restaurant to celebrate new members joining because the restaurant was "a tradition". The fraternity was only 5 years old. How is 5 years a tradition? The owners felt they could start jacking up prices and giving us less food. When it comes to tradition and economics, the two don't always perfectly coalesce. Look no further than names of professional ballparks for examples.

So, now we have to wait till September to find out the slim is real or not? I want the slim, but it's a pain to move all of the contents to a new PS3 (game sharing).

[quote name='Serpentor']So, now we have to wait till September to find out the slim is real or not? I want the slim, but it's a pain to move all of the contents to a new PS3 (game sharing).[/QUOTE]

Exactly, tomorrow we will get the $299 News.

And at TGS they show off the Slim so Everyone who bought a Fat

HAHA suckers LOL point at you dummies look at the slim with Full BC, and 120GB HDD

There is Simply no WAY Sony launches the Slim tomorrow and Say look at this Awesome SLim PS3 it costs just $299.

Oh But please go out and buy the FAT model with 40GB less storage for the same price.

[quote name='Master Ninja']Exactly, tomorrow we will get the $299 News.

And at TGS they show off the Slim so Everyone who bought a Fat

HAHA suckers LOL point at you dummies look at the slim with Full BC, and 120GB HDD

There is Simply no WAY Sony launches the Slim tomorrow and Say look at this Awesome SLim PS3 it costs just $299.

Oh But please go out and buy the FAT model with 40GB less storage for the same price.[/QUOTE]

Dont be so "Matter of fact". I think cheapy is going on a valid guess but this could go either way.

its funny how the same people who think 300 is still to much for a ps3 are willing o pay 400 for a ps3 slim. funny and scary. and thats if the thing even exists.that said if it does its not going to e rought out before stores can sell off the majority of their older stock why put out the slim ones now when you want to get rid of the older ones?

i think most people just go for the $300 80gb... The so called "$400" Slim is still to be determined. But honestly, 120gb and BC slim? Easily worth $400 IMO.

I mean think about it guy. What would happen to the 80GB SKU if Sony dropped its price to $299., But announced that the Slim will launch also at $299???

Who would buy a fat 80GB model?[/QUOTE]

The uneducated consumer...theres a shitload of them out there.

[quote name='Master Ninja'] I mean think about it guy. What would happen to the 80GB SKU if Sony dropped its price to $299., But announced that the Slim will launch also at $299???

Who would buy a fat 80GB model?[/QUOTE]

Anyone who is still sitting on their $75 off console coupon on Amazon. That is what I'm doing in hopes of it going down in price by 8/31. I could care less if I get the slim or fat. The spot in my entertainment center will hold either one and won't have room for anything else either way.

I honestly don't think Sony can away with a $399 PS3 anymore, slim or otherwise.

If the Slim isn't announced this week, it'll happen at TGS, and a Final Fantasy XIII bundle to go along with it. The latter of which is going to happen anyway.

PSP already costs $169.99 unbundled.

I'm not sure there'll be any drop on the PSP, especially since PSPGo is already confirmed @ $250.

I completely disagree with those who believe the PS3 Slim will not be announced tomorrow, and in stores by the end of this month. Why? Because stores are already running out of PS3 Phats internationally as well as the various sales going on, which are highly suspect of stores trying to sell their remaining Phats as soon as possible.

As noted in the following articles...
UK Promotion
Japanese PS3 Shortages
Various CAGers looking for the Killzone 2 & MGS4 PS3 bundle, but not finding they're all sold out -- and even then regular PS3s are scarce.

If Sony wants to be the cause of the world's biggest *GROAN* tomorrow, they'll announce the PS3 slim at anything above $300.

[quote name='Ecofreak']If Sony wants to be the cause of the world's biggest *GROAN* tomorrow, they'll announce the PS3 slim at anything above $300.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing: we're talking about Sony.

As you point out, PSP Go is $250.

PS3 Slim will be $400 at launch or I'll play through Haze without stopping.

[quote name='mykevermin']That's the thing: we're talking about Sony.

PS3 Slim will be $400 at launch or I'll play through Haze without stopping.[/QUOTE]

fuck you Kevermin. If you want to show true dedication, play Vampire Rain if you want to show some REAL GUTS.

PS3 Slim will be $400 at launch or I'll play through Haze without stopping.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Sony is not going to clear out 80GB PS3s @ $299.99 if there's a $299.99 PS3 Slim in the queue. If they do happen to announce the Slim this week, it's going to cost at least $349.99, and more likely $399.99.

This doesn't rule out a $299.99 Slim by the end of the year, but it won't happen before that if history is any kind of guide.

And Paco, it would have to be fuck you Vermin, lol (no offense Myke hehe).

[quote name='gunm']Agreed. Sony is not going to clear out 80GB PS3s @ $299.99 if there's a $299.99 PS3 Slim in the queue. If they do happen to announce the Slim this week, it's going to cost at least $349.99, and more likely $399.99.

This doesn't rule out a $299.99 Slim by the end of the year, but it won't happen before that if history is any kind of guide.

And Paco, it would have to be fuck you Vermin, lol (no offense Myke hehe).[/QUOTE]

It's MY KEVERMIN if we go by the tradition of this board LOL. Damn that KEVERMIN.

But there's at least some business rationale as to why the PSP Go costs more (tenuous, though they may be).

- 16 gigs of internal memory
- Smaller form factor for greater portability
- Bluetooth connectivity

The PS3 Slim isn't adding any features, and almost everyone expects there to be less features in system the the Phats (memory card ports, integrated wifi, etc). Keeping the price $400 would simply confuse the consumer as to why they're still paying a premium price for a slimmed down machine.

And if the rumors are true that Sony has managed to cut down production costs by 70% (from the original estimates of $800 to $240), Sony would make a lot more money selling the Slims for $300 than $400 because their sales volumes would be so much larger.

Remember that Sony aims to sell 13 million PS3 this year. It's already the end of August. Sony will absolutely, in no possible way except for a divine intervention from the Fly Spaghetti Monster Himself, will they meet that target if the PS3 Slim costs anything more than $400.

I rest my case.

[quote name='Paco']fuck you Kevermin. If you want to show true dedication, play Vampire Rain if you want to show some REAL GUTS.[/QUOTE]

or play superman 64 without stopping.......

[quote name='technole']Yep, in fact Sony Santa Monica announced it was going to be native 1080p back in 2007 and its been echoed out there for awhile. The E3 demo was probably the best thing I ever seen play on the PS3 right next to Uncharted 2.

Which brings me to another point...

It'll be interesting to see what they could cram on a 50-gig dual layer BD with such high-quality textures. Killzone 2 was already big with each level being at least a few gigs. Now with Naughty Dog having to pull extra content from Uncharted 2 because they were hitting the limit.

Just the talk of filling BDs already has me thinking how much can they really put on it for a large-scale 1080p game.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not interested in GOW3, son I hadn't heard about the 1080p resolution. I wish naughty dog would just put the content back in and give us 2 discs--one with single player and the other with multiplayer.

[quote name='Ecofreak']But there's at least some business rationale as to why the PSP Go costs more (tenuous, though they may be).

- 16 gigs of internal memory
- Smaller form factor for greater portability
- Bluetooth connectivity

The PS3 Slim isn't adding any features, and almost everyone expects there to be less features in system the the Phats (memory card ports, integrated wifi, etc). Keeping the price $400 would simply confuse the consumer as to why they're still paying a premium price for a slimmed down machine.

And if the rumors are true that Sony has managed to cut down production costs by 70% (from the original estimates of $800 to $240), Sony would make a lot more money selling the Slims for $300 than $400 because their sales volumes would be so much larger.

Remember that Sony aims to sell 13 million PS3 this year. It's already the end of August. Sony will absolutely, in no possible way except for a divine intervention from the Fly Spaghetti Monster Himself, will they meet that target if the PS3 Slim costs anything more than $400.

I rest my case.[/QUOTE]

You make a compelling argument. :applause:

Good on yeh.

That said, I will simply stand by my claim that Sony has a proven track-record of being absolute knuckleheads when it comes to pricing commodities for the market.

I hope I'm wrong, mind you - even if it means I'll play through "Haze."

The PSPGo argument is tenuous 'cause Jack Tretton himself mentioned (in a GTTV interview, IIRC) that the price was based more on what they felt people would be willing to pay rather than any specific cost factor.

It's a bit OT, but it does give more weight to the rumor of a non-price drop strategy for the Slim.

At least we're finally getting a $299.99 PS3 regardless...

I think what we will see is the price drop, lots of places will be sold out. Then, they will announce the slim, with BC, and have 2 models (or more, perhaps one with no HDD).

This will get the fat models off the shelves, provide a $299 BC model to capture the last of the PS2 owners still holding out. If they really got the mfg costs down 70%, they can take the opportunity to increase the install base, and aim for their 13 million console sales target. Also, is that target for fiscal year '09 or calander year?

My guess is Sony announces they will pull a Sega and abandon the console market to focus on software development. ;)

/jk $299 slims available in the next couple weeks. Price cuts to tide us over until they hit the shelves.

I still have my $75 console coupon. I'm hoping Amazon has a Slim Pre-Order up by the end of the month (when the code expires).

[quote name='etschell']no joke, i have owned my ps3 since launch and i can say i had it first. therefore, im just better +1 me A++++[/QUOTE]

Good for you, princess.:lol: But some of us like to have money leftover after buying said console for a game(or two), so we don't have a $200+ dust collector till that next paycheck rolls around.

My local Sears is selling their display model 20gig for $300. Now I REALLY wish I had the patience and waited, since I could've have a full BC model for $100 less than I paid for mine. :cry:

[quote name='gunm']The PSPGo argument is tenuous 'cause Jack Tretton himself mentioned (in a GTTV interview, IIRC) that the price was based more on what they felt people would be willing to pay rather than any specific cost factor.

It's a bit OT, but it does give more weight to the rumor of a non-price drop strategy for the Slim.

At least we're finally getting a $299.99 PS3 regardless...[/QUOTE]

Have you ever held a PS3, it is simply gigantic!!, Compared to the 360 it makes the 360 feel tiny.

I really want a $299 SLim but theres no way its gonna happen til Holiday 2009

To be fair, the PS3 has the power supply in it, and the 360 brick is annoyingly big. Kind of hard to put behind a TV

I think itll be like the PS2 slim with the power supply out of it.

Do they still give 5 free blu-ray movies with the purchase of PS3? I know that they used to do it back when the PS3 launched, but I'm not sure if they still do it.

bread's done
Back