SONY PS3 SLIM Thread, AVAILABLE NOW $299, SHARE YOUR STORIES

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Do they still give 5 free blu-ray movies with the purchase of PS3? I know that they used to do it back when the PS3 launched, but I'm not sure if they still do it.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that promo is long gone.

[quote name='mykevermin']You make a compelling argument. :applause:

Good on yeh.

That said, I will simply stand by my claim that Sony has a proven track-record of being absolute knuckleheads when it comes to pricing commodities for the market.

I hope I'm wrong, mind you - even if it means I'll play through "Haze."[/QUOTE]

Yay for my argument being recognized! :cool:

If Sony were ever to make an aggressive move into the home console market, now is the time. Get the PS3 into people who want it immediately at an attractive price and convince moms and dads to get this instead of a 360 sales for little Johnny this Christmas, and hopefully their 2010 line-up will bring in the rest of the stragglers.

So long as their PS Eye + Wand actually deliver a meaningful experience (one can always dream) for both core and casual gamers by the holiday season of next year, Sony will have finally earned a strong wind at its back as we have a pretty good idea of what the market layout will be across all consoles.

But then again, there's always room for more surprises (and leaks, I suppose, in this day and age).

Ps3 doesnt take up much real estate because it has a small footprint standing upright. Now the original OMG Xbox is huge lol, that deserved all the flak it got for being freaking ginormous. I bet 360 owners would have preferred their 360 was as big and heavy as the Ps3 and that it was packed full of heavy copper heatsinks.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Do they still give 5 free blu-ray movies with the purchase of PS3? I know that they used to do it back when the PS3 launched, but I'm not sure if they still do it.[/QUOTE]

Definitely not going on.

Thanks Oswald for breaking the news on this:
images

A little off topic but that's what always pops into my head whenever I hear that name thanks to my son and the re-runs of that show on Noggin...

I'm very interested in seeing what the slim will look like and what it will have under the hood.

:rofl:

no, seriously...

[quote name='duncan36']Ps3 doesnt take up much real estate because it has a small footprint standing upright. Now the original OMG Xbox is huge lol, that deserved all the flak it got for being freaking ginormous. I bet 360 owners would have preferred their 360 was as big and heavy as the Ps3 and that it was packed full of heavy copper heatsinks.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 doesn't take up much room if it's standing up? NO console takes up much room if it's standing on it's end/side. But some of us prefer to keep the system lying flat and then....it takes up ALOT of space.

And was the cheap shot at the 360 REALLY necessary in your statement? :roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']And was the cheap shot at the 360 REALLY necessary in your statement? :roll:[/QUOTE]

All's fair in love and console wars. ;)

The ps3 and wii can be placed vertically because they are slot loaded and the ps3 looks very awkward lying on its back. The actual size of the ps3 isn't that big since it is curved and not boxy like the xbox 360. My friend always has his 360 flat because the last time he placed a disc sideways, something went wrong inside and it got scratched. You need to do a side by side comparison to make a good judgement of the size difference, although chances are its just more fanboy speak.

[quote name='Mufasa']so what time will this announcement come tomorrow to the united states, seeing the time difference and all?[/QUOTE]

gamescom will start 1pm est time tommorow

[quote name='Ecofreak']All's fair in love and console wars. ;)[/QUOTE]

Unlike some, who shall remain nameless, I'll play any game I like on any console it's on. I don't have brand loyalty. :razz:

Awesome, isn't the PSN down during their conference today? Also, is there anywhere to watch it LIVE? Not blogging or anything, i want a video feed.

So seems like big things, so excited

Kmart.com basically just confirmed it. But since it's Kmart no one cares.

I also don't understand the 'new Playstation 3' part.

[quote name='KingBroly']Kmart.com basically just confirmed it. But since it's Kmart no one cares.

I also don't understand the 'new Playstation 3' part.[/QUOTE]

K-Mart.com currently seems disoriented. First they put up the image, then they pull it off the site, but leave the image on the server, then they put the image up on the front page of the site. To make matters more confusing, they talk about a "New Exciting Playstation 3" in the image, but the sidebar text just says "PS3 price reduction."
:joystick::whee:

Specs for the slim based on Kmart's preorder page.

PS3, SLIM High-Definition Blu-ray player for the best movie experience. Free PLAYSTATION Network membership. 120GB HDD for downloading games, music, videos, and photos. Includes DUAL SHOCK 3 controller. HDMI output for 1080p resolution.

Sears has the same info. Sears owns K-Mart.

Pretty official to me they put it out too early.
Very cool.

Slim next week (holy crap) and for $299 (holy crap).

So now it's official as shown by Kotaku, freaking awesome. I may definitely be getting a PS3 slim by September or sometime during that month. Great move, on Sony's part.

[quote name='Phunin']So now it's official as shown by Kotaku.[/QUOTE]

funbags showed a different photo of the same fucking poster that's been on this site for *how many days now?* and you say "now it's official as shown by kotaku?"

GTFO.

[quote name='mykevermin']funbags showed a different photo of the same fucking poster that's been on this site for *how many days now?* and you say "now it's official as shown by kotaku?"

GTFO.[/QUOTE]

You should see the thread on the VGD forum heh.

No doubt about the price drop, but it will be interesting to see if in fact the Kmart/Sears thing ends up being true or else we've got a case of an over zealous fan in Sears.

And Kotaku's method of crediting sources (or checking sources) is just bad journalism, as I'm sure we all know. So nothing to see there, just move along...

[quote name='PVJAG']So what time does the Sony conference happen?[/QUOTE]

12:30pm EDT, 9:30am PDT.

For those of you who are timezone impaired, a little under 2 hours from the time of this post.

[quote name='Master Ninja']100% Confirmed the PS3 Slim is $299

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...n=prod&CustomerMemberID=u0t1506297f0fp0c0s599

And will be out in 5 days......So why in the World would I buy a FAT for the same price of $299

When its FAT and has 40GB Less Storage??

unless they do what alot of UK retailers are doing and that is Bundling 1 game with it of your choice.[/QUOTE]

For all you know, Sony could have dropped WiFi support to help cut costs on the slim, which to me would make getting the original Ps3 worth it.

If there is indeed a fully featured Slim PS3 at $299 headed our way, then that is a great price point and I am 100% in for one. Hard to believe the PSP GO is priced at $249 if this indeed comes to fruition.

[quote name='mykevermin']funbags showed a different photo of the same fucking poster that's been on this site for *how many days now?* and you say "now it's official as shown by kotaku?"

GTFO.[/QUOTE]

you gtfo

[quote name='mrcheapo11']For all you know, Sony could have dropped WiFi support to help cut costs on the slim, which to me would make getting the original Ps3 worth it.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, we'll have to see what, if anything, they cut out of the slim.

None of the FYE's in San Diego sell video games except one, and that one only has the Unchartered version.

Well Sony has been consistent about removing features along with each Price drop.

removed HW PS2 BC
removed SW PS2 BC
removed memory card slots

So I think it is possible they remove WiFi

Its just too bad that the Launch $599 PS3 never made it to be the $299 PS3 of today. Heck it never made it to $399.

I highly doubt they'll take out wifi because their getting ready to launch the psp go and they'll probably bring with it ad hoc party which you wouldn't be able to use if your ps3 didn't have wifi

[quote name='mrcheapo11']For all you know, Sony could have dropped WiFi support to help cut costs on the slim, which to me would make getting the original Ps3 worth it.[/QUOTE]

This had BETTER be the case or I'll be having a hard time attempting to kick myself in my own crotch. :hot::cold:

[quote name='PVJAG']So is there a live feed of the event anywhere?[/QUOTE]

I figured IGN or Gametrailers would have a feed, but I haven't found anything.

Ps3 slim is confirmed. First week of september. $299 36% smaller 33% lighter. ALL THE SAME FEATURES AS PRESENT MODELS. 120 gigs

bread's done
Back