SONY PS3 SLIM Thread, AVAILABLE NOW $299, SHARE YOUR STORIES

Thing is though, Paco, many people didn't bother with trying to repair their own PS2 consoles and rebought the system instead. Some of them rebought them multiple times, just like someone in this thread(I believe) said 360 owners are doing now rather than facing the hassle of waiting for their fixed console to come back to them.

So really, people rewarded Sony's design flaw last gen just like they're doing this gen.

Though, I would definitely rather have a console that I could fix myself with a q-tip and some alcohol and patience than something I need alot of tech know-how to do.

As for the problems, I personally had a PS2 that scratched discs, though I never had one that had the DRE.

[quote name='Thomas96']
you're a man following me around complain about my statements..
[/QUOTE] Don't flatter yourself- Just because I read/post in the GGT, most blogs and have been posting in this thread doesn't mean that I am following you.

[quote name='Thomas96']
I like the ps3 and that doesn't make me a fanboy... I don't go around getting upset at others for having a different of opinion or trying to point out who likes what, and blah blah, blah... you can believe what you want, I'm not a fanboy, and I'm not going to bother trying to convince you. you act like I love the ps3 and I can see no faults with it.. trust me its not like that. I[/QUOTE]
Yea it does and it's your statements are what make you a fanboy, not simply your affinity for one console over another. There is no need to convince me: I own, play and am planning on purchasing another.

[quote name='Rozz']I think you're going to have to settle down a bit. As a consumer you have the right to purchase what you want and to give feedback on what you want to see improved/added. Maybe that final sentence can be reversed to "If you have one just play it and shut the fuck up already". ;)

No, PS2's had this issue as well. The 360 scratching discs is usually from moving it, while on defective PS2's it would happen from normal play usually on blue bottom discs. I have heard this happen on dual layer discs as well, though.[/QUOTE]

its a pointless fucking argument. if you want bc in a ps3 buy one that has it if you dont want to buy one that has it then why complain about it? its already been said by someone at sony that they arent putting it in the new ps3s but people still complain about it. and all this gets simmered into multiple fanboy battles on why one system sucks and one doesnt its all pointless.

theres a new ps3 it wont play ps2 games but it does other shit if you want one at a decent price go for it if not then yes ill say it again everyone who is complaining about it shut the fuck up. no amount of whining will get bc back into the systems if you want it so bad find a used bc system at a decent price and be happy or like others have said get a slim ps2/ps3 tape the sumbitches together and enjoy life.

both of the major 2 systems has pros and cons to them neither is perfect and in the end just choose the one or ones you like and have fun. i was hoping once the price drop came people would finally shut the fuck up and either jump in or leave it be and move on but no mater what the price or whats in it people still persist to complain. the fanboyishness in this gen of gaming is easily the worst to date even worse than the pc/console gaming debates.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Don't flatter yourself- Just because I read/post in the GGT, most blogs and have been posting in this thread doesn't mean that I am following you.

Yea it does and it's your statements are what make you a fanboy, not simply your affinity for one console over another. There is no need to convince me: I own, play and am planning on purchasing another.[/QUOTE]

whatever, lets just stay on topic, if you want to "prove" i'm a fanboy, go to the GGT threat and make me a thread and talk all the trash you want... or you can talk behind my back in the OTT with the other cowards.

If you forgot we were talking about the PS3 price drop to 299... and my question about the price drop is what effect will it have on more 360 exclusives coming over to the PS3.

enjoy the thread.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Thing is though, Paco, many people didn't bother with trying to repair their own PS2 consoles and rebought the system instead. Some of them rebought them multiple times, just like someone in this thread(I believe) said 360 owners are doing now rather than facing the hassle of waiting for their fixed console to come back to them.

So really, people rewarded Sony's design flaw last gen just like they're doing this gen.

Though, I would definitely rather have a console that I could fix myself with a q-tip and some alcohol and patience than something I need alot of tech know-how to do.

As for the problems, I personally had a PS2 that scratched discs, though I never had one that had the DRE.[/QUOTE]

Also keep in mind the PS2 was only faulty "had to open it up and clean" for ONE YEAR. The 360 is STILL faulty to this day after nearly FOUR years. There's a rather huge difference right there.

Does the 360 really even have that many platform exclusives outside of MGS publishing? While there certainly are some, I think multiplatform between 360 and PS3 is the rule, not the exception. I dont see a significant change coming as far as this is concerned.

I'm currently going through my old NPD spreadsheets to evaluate the effect of prices drops on the big 3 last generation. I'll post a blog on it eventually. Preliminarily I would say that many of you here wont be thrilled by my findings.

The fact that the PS3 Slim can now natively stream Dolby Digital True HD audio and more directly via HDMI, and the Fat can not confirms it has some seriously upgraded chips in there.

Audiophiles will love it. And now, since it has this dedicated better audio chip, that taxes the CELL less, and leaves it free to do other more important things.

[quote name='Paco']Also keep in mind the PS2 was only faulty "had to open it up and clean" for ONE YEAR. The 360 is STILL faulty to this day after nearly FOUR years. There's a rather huge difference right there.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I STILL read about people getting the DRE to this day, even on the slim. Plus, you didn't even mention the disc scratching that Rozz happened to bring up and that I experienced PERSONALLY.

That's a little more involved than 'open up and clean'.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Does the 360 really even have that many platform exclusives outside of MGS publishing? While there certainly are some, I think multiplatform between 360 and PS3 is the rule, not the exception. I dont see a significant change coming as far as this is concerned.

I'm currently going through my old NPD spreadsheets to evaluate the effect of prices drops on the big 3 last generation. I'll post a blog on it eventually. Preliminarily I would say that many of you here wont be thrilled by my findings.[/QUOTE]

yeah thats the thing they have a few games that the ps3 doesnt but then many of their exclusives can also be bought for the pc except for halo 3 which i think wasnt released on pc. add to that pc games seem to drop in price pretty quick and you can use a wired xbox controller on a pc then the whole exclusives thing kinda dwindles ( as long as you have a pc that can handle them). oh yeah they also have dead rising which it kills me that i wont ever get to play it. that is a game capcon should put up as a digital dl for the psn.

sucks that sony and nintendo both havent really tapped into their backlong of old titles to make new games for their current gen systems. where the next sly cooper? where that kid icarus game ? aside from a few new games everyone seems like theyre playing it safe but with this economy i can see why.

[quote name='Shaq-Funaki']cant we all just get along?[/QUOTE]

Honestly, this thread has gotten a bit out of hand. Please stop with the in forum bickering. Lets keep it joyful and slaphappy.......or just happy.:D

STAY ON TOPIC GUYS,PLEASE. OTHERWISE THE THREAD WILL CLOSE.

Thanks

On tuesday, Ill change the thread so that everyone can post their PS3 slim stories. Trial, tribulations, crappy clerks, lines and misnomers.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, I STILL read about people getting the DRE to this day, even on the slim. Plus, you didn't even mention the disc scratching that Rozz happened to bring up and that I experienced PERSONALLY.

That's a little more involved than 'open up and clean'.[/QUOTE]

well the consoles are old as shit so there probably is DRE stories that are going to go around especially when you consider the damn thing is nearing its tenth year. So I expect the failure rates to prop up a bit more since there's still a ton of old units out there that are nearing their life expectancy.

And the disc scratching thing is a cog problem. You can tweak a card that adjusts voltage in the PS2 and not only that, but it raises and lowers the lense itself. If you raise the lense too high, it may scratch your games. So someone may have done that when repairing their PS2?

That could've been, since I don't think the PS2 I had the disc scratching experience with had a warranty seal anymore, so someone probably DID open it at one point.

I never tried the cog thing myself, but I DID replace a few lasers in my day on friends' PS2's to get them to read games again, so I know the inners workings of one forward and backward.

Hell. I even took a 30001R or so model down to base components, just to see if I could put it all back together correctly.

Would I do the same with a PS3? Maybe once I can find them for $10-15 used, but even my $400 40gb is off limits till the value on them really drops.

The way it is now though, I have a potential deal coming up for a 40 gb that someone disassembled to try and fix for $60.

If it at least powers on, I'll take it, since I could just pay Sony $150 to fix whatever is wrong with it and have a 'spare' PS3 for $210.

Guys, come on.

This is a price drop thread and it has turned into a bunch of arguing about DREs and console failures.

Let's not derail the thread any further.

My friend is trying to talk me into buying the 80GB model because it's the same price as the Slim and has a game or two included usually...AND...he says it can be switched off (back of console) so it doesn't use any power when off. I'm arguing that the Slim already uses less power when on and in standby...I can't imagine the Slim uses that much power when in standby mode (off)...any comments/suggestions?

I hope somebody does some sort of trade in deal to upgrade your PS3 from an old version to a new one. The fan on this thing drives me crazy when I'm wathching movies.

I had 2 PS3s, now I'm down to one. I have a launch 60 which is still going strong and I recently bought the KZ2/MGS4 bundle from Bestbuy for the bedroom, but returned it because of how strong the Slim rumors were.

To be honest, took me a while to get used to the design, but I actually like it. The only thing that turned me off was the actual buttons. I haven't seen one in person, but that won't stop me from buying one.

And forget Backwards Compatibility. It won't be back. The majority of PS3 gamers don't even look back on the last gen games. I think the move they made will give them a prosperous holiday season.

[quote name='Trakan']Guys, come on.

This is a price drop thread and it has turned into a bunch of arguing about DREs and console failures.

Let's not derail the thread any further.[/QUOTE]

Sorry bout that.

[quote name='SynGamer']My friend is trying to talk me into buying the 80GB model because it's the same price as the Slim and has a game or two included usually...AND...he says it can be switched off (back of console) so it doesn't use any power when off. I'm arguing that the Slim already uses less power when on and in standby...I can't imagine the Slim uses that much power when in standby mode (off)...any comments/suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Honestly if you're that worried about power consumption you can just unplug (that's what I will be doing). Also, if your friend's PS3 has BC tell him to try and sell it on ebay right now.

[quote name='bmarquis']I hope somebody does some sort of trade in deal to upgrade your PS3 from an old version to a new one. The fan on this thing drives me crazy when I'm wathching movies.[/QUOTE]

It's not as bad as the 360's disc drive though. The thing sounds live a damn jet plane!

The 360 isn't any louder than the PS3. I have mine sitting right next to each other. Also the disk drive noise is a moot point since you can fully install the games now.

[quote name='Thomas96']I'm not even on any fanboy bandwagon.. the things that I've said about the 360 (at least) about 3 times have been said because its my true feelings, about the 360. You already are a whiny little turd.. nice title for yourself. There are games on the 360 I want to play, but like I said before I won't because I know my 360 is giving me problems.. so I'm hoping that this PS3 price drop may usher in some more of these 360 games.. so I don't have to even worry about using my 360. If you don't like what I have to say.. just ignore me.[/QUOTE]

If you're afraid of the 360 breaking on you, stop being a huge fucking nerd and do what anyone with half a brain would do. When you ship it back to get it repaired, go buy an arcade system at Costco or Walmart, put your old HDD into it and use that for the 2-3 weeks until your fixed 360 comes back. Take HDD out of arcade, return the 360 you bought back to the store. Those stores will take it back no questions asked as long as everything it came with is in the box. Oh man, that was fuckING DIFFICULT. Nobody fucking cares what company you prefer to suck off, people buy consoles based on the game seleciton available for them, not because Sony or Microsoft have better tasting cocks.

[quote name='Ogami Itto']Honestly if you're that worried about power consumption you can just unplug (that's what I will be doing). Also, if your friend's PS3 has BC tell him to try and sell it on ebay right now.[/QUOTE]

I'm not concerned about the power consumption in standby...and his model doesn't have BC.

[quote name='Thorgouge']If you're afraid of the 360 breaking on you, stop being a huge fucking nerd and do what anyone with half a brain would do. When you ship it back to get it repaired, go buy an arcade system at Costco or Walmart, put your old HDD into it and use that for the 2-3 weeks until your fixed 360 comes back. Take HDD out of arcade, return the 360 you bought back to the store. Those stores will take it back no questions asked as long as everything it came with is in the box. Oh man, that was fuckING DIFFICULT. Nobody fucking cares what company you prefer to suck off, people buy consoles based on the game seleciton available for them, not because Sony or Microsoft have better tasting cocks.[/QUOTE]

GET THE fuck OUT TROLL!! Trakan already told us to shut up about this.

[quote name='Thorgouge']If you're afraid of the 360 breaking on you, stop being a huge fucking nerd and do what anyone with half a brain would do. When you ship it back to get it repaired, go buy an arcade system at Costco or Walmart, put your old HDD into it and use that for the 2-3 weeks until your fixed 360 comes back. Take HDD out of arcade, return the 360 you bought back to the store. Those stores will take it back no questions asked as long as everything it came with is in the box. Oh man, that was fuckING DIFFICULT. Nobody fucking cares what company you prefer to suck off, people buy consoles based on the game seleciton available for them, not because Sony or Microsoft have better tasting cocks.[/QUOTE]

Though it's not outright fraud, it's certainly unscrupulous at best. It saddens but doesn't surprise me that there are people who would suggest others take advantage of stores like this. I'm all for getting great deals and all, but someone's gotta eat the cost of your buying "habits" because you can't be an adult and actually exhibit patience.

BTW -- this thread has gotten really, really emotional. I haven't seen this much vitriol being thrown around since last year's "The PS3 is dead/dying" threads.

[quote name='mwynn']Does any store have the vertical stand listed. I do not see it on Amazon's site.[/QUOTE]

you dont need a vertical stand, i dont even know why they make those. you can just stand it up on its site

[quote name='wwe101']you dont need a vertical stand, i dont even know why they make those. you can just stand it up on its site[/QUOTE]

No need for the stand...until someone bumps into whatever is holding your PS3 Slim and it falls over.

Here is a little treat from Thorgouge

"Quiet, nerd, I wasn't trying to troll. I just think any idiot that complains about stupid shit like the 360 breaking or how they love a certain company more than the other, when both are equally shitty, is a big fat fucking downy. Point is, while the 360 breaking issue is annoying, it takes an hour out of someone's day to just pickup a temp replacement console while that broken one gets fixed.

And yea, its annoying when you try to read something to find information on a console or a game or ANYTHING and it devolves into fucking arguments over which company is better. Nobody cares. Sony sucks. Microsoft sucks. Even Nintendo sucks. Every company is just a fucking collection of greedy scumbags who lack the basic compassion to give two fucking shits about anyone else. So let me tell this to you in the hopes you'll pass it on to your mongoloid friends: when the urge pops in your head to post a reply on the internet about why you love the taste of your favorite companies spank more than another, because you somehow feel they are nicer to you, I want you to take a big steak knife and shove it down your fucking throat.

Have a nice day, tubby."

SOMEBODY BAN THIS $$$

[quote name='Trakan']Guys, come on.

Let's not derail the thread any further.[/QUOTE]

Alright, everyone was warned about trolling once, and apparently, it didn't sink in.

Trolling is one thing, though harassing other users, that's a completely different issue and isn't tolerated in any way. Keep it civil and keep the trolling out of here and preferably, off of CAG entirely.

Take the hint and stop with the trolling. There won't be another warning.

[quote name='SynGamer']No need for the stand...until someone bumps into whatever is holding your PS3 Slim and it falls over.[/QUOTE]

if someone bumped into it, then the stand would fall over too:lol:

[quote name='Phunin']Agh, after looking at the pics, I think I'll miss the glossy look of the PS3.[/QUOTE]

I won't. I don't know why the hell Sony went with the shiny, shiny finish in the first place. It shows all dust and scratches and had me more anal retentive than usual about keeping the thing clean n dusted at all times.

Now if only they would provide an even swap program for those of us who don't want the big bulky power gobbling fat models with the shiny dust magnet finish, that'd be phenomenal.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I won't. I don't know why the hell Sony went with the shiny, shiny finish in the first place. It shows all dust and scratches and had me more anal retentive than usual about keeping the thing clean n dusted at all times.

Now if only they would provide an even swap program for those of us who don't want the big bulky power gobbling fat models with the shiny dust magnet finish, that'd be phenomenal.[/QUOTE]

They do have a swap program. Only costs $299.

How'd I know you'd have to respond? But ya know a 'trade' program from the hardware manufacturers wouldn't be a bad idea, if you ask me. It would get the older, perhaps more breakdown prone models off the market and they could give the customers some reason to be loyal, like offering the newer model of the same system for a much lower price when trading in the old one.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But ya know a 'trade' program from the hardware manufacturers wouldn't be a bad idea, if you ask me. It would get the older, perhaps more breakdown prone models off the market and they could give the customers some reason to be loyal, like offering the newer model of the same system for a much lower price when trading in the old one.[/QUOTE]

...so, you take a right on the next street, and on the corner, there's a Gamestop.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: LOL Now everybody is joining in. I'd love to do that, go to GS and trade in the PS3 towards a newer one, if they gave a halfway decent amount.

I'm not trying to 'argue' with anyone, so don't take it as such, but the market is a lil outta whack when it comes to values.

I was just saying that if the hardware companies want people to remain loyal to their brand, they should definitely be doing more to try and maintain that customer base and a trade program would definitely help them.

Why? It would get the systems that're due to break down off the market and away from the used market, where they see NO money from, and it would get another unit sold.

You should go to GameCrazy. They actually upped the PS3 values. I think the 80gb was trading in at 150 as of this morning. This is surely an error and it might be fixed soon, but it's been that way for almost a week. It's not just this model, all of the values were raised. I guess it's to entice people to do exactly as you're describing.

I would if GC wasn't like 50 miles from me, but I only have a 40gb model and it probably gets like $70 there. There's no way I'd plunk down $229 for a new console, after paying $400 for it just over a year ago.

Again, I'm NOT trying to argue that Sony 'owes me' anything, but you see all of the devs of games(and hardware) complaining about the used market all the time, a program like the one I mentioned would help keep their sales going imo.

Mind you, if it were anything like the car market in the US, then all three manufacturers would have gone under a long time ago.

I just grabbed the trade values for you.

20 - 112/140
40 - 88/110
60 - 128/160
80 (The model that is BC) - 136/170
80 - 112/140
160 - 136/170

Left side is cash value, right value is trade credit.

Interesting. I really wish they would consider putting in a GC in one of the two local HWV stores, since GS needs some fuckin' REAL competition around here.

Thanks for the values, Scorch. I'll definitely consider it.

Since I can't find how to start a new topic I wanted to ask if anyone knows how to play online without updating or if the slim won't require updates. Seems kind of stupid to block gamers from using the PSN. Thanks.

So play what you have.

Come on already, IATCG. You paid more for your PS3 than you did for your soapbox, but you spend so much time on the latter you never give yourself any opportunities to enjoy the former.

Or, as the hillbillies might say, 'shit or get off the pot.' Go buy one or don't go buy one. Dozens of thoroughly deflected nuanced reactions as to why you aren't going to do anything though you'd like to do something but not that one thing are really killing this fucking thread dead. I'd like to see discussion of the new console, not your personal diary about you wanting to have a sordid love affair with another PS3 because you're current one isn't doing it for you any longer.

Unfortunately DPsx7, Sony REQUIRES every stupid update to be done, whether or not you feel you NEED what is provided in it or not and they block you from using PSN until you update the system.

For what they've added to it, while some of it's useful, most of it has been crap. I'm with you in that they shouldn't block someone from using PSN if they haven't updated, since sometimes you just wanna pop on to play a quick game without being hassled to update.

I'm NOT saying I dislike my PS3, Myke, really I'm not. I'm not even trying to be argumentative, but there has to be a better way to 'level up' and get the newer system besides paying full retail for it or taking a pittance from GS. After all, are we not CAGs, where the mantra is 'never pay retail'?

I mean, there's always selling on CL for $200-250 maybe, then grabbing a new system, but that's a snowball's chance in hell since that market is flooding with them now.

Why not look and find out for yourself?

Lamenting the fact that GS' trade-in prices stink (1) is beside the point, since it isn't the only option, and (2) not going to change anything.

You have tons of options in terms of minimizing the cost differential in moving to a PS3 Slim. You neglect that, instead constantly engaging in the fool's errand that corporations should be nicer to the consumer.

[quote name='mykevermin']Why not look and find out for yourself?

Lamenting the fact that GS' trade-in prices stink (1) is beside the point, since it isn't the only option, and (2) not going to change anything.

You have tons of options in terms of minimizing the cost differential in moving to a PS3 Slim. You neglect that, instead constantly engaging in the fool's errand that corporations should be nicer to the consumer.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I have been researching options already to no avail. As for corporations being nicer to the consumer, I believe MS offered a 20 gb hdd to those buying an arcade or one of the 360 models for a while for $20.

As for the trade values, I already knew GS wasn't going to give much, but Scorch has me intrigued now, since paying $190 or so out of pocket is alot better imo than paying $300.

As to spending more time on my soapbox than playing the PS3, I've been playing GTAIV and Prototype for weeks now fairly regularly, so I do get ALOT of use out of the system.

sell it on ebay for about 200-250 to cover most of the costs. Ebay will still net a good amount for a PS3.

bread's done
Back