Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - crappy prices on both Capcom games. I even have Dead Rising 2 on my wishlist and I think I'm going to pass.

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Really tempted to pick up RE5. Ever since building a new gaming rig and seeing that game running at 60fps on max settings, good lord. That was the defining moment when I realized just how far ahead of consoles PC hardware was.
[/QUOTE]

The leap frogging never ends. New highend consoles (none Nintendo of course ;) ) will come out matching the highest (sometimes surpasses) PC hardware at the time. The problem is consoles stay with the same specs for 5-10 years where as PC gets incremental updates every few months. So 3 years after the consoles are released, just about everything on the PC can surpass them. As for RE5 and many other games, you will lose DLC on the PC though.

Yeah, I looked into it and saw that the RE5 DLC wasn't available on PC. I think I'm okay with that though. I already own it on 360 and would simply like to pick it up for a cheapish price to enjoy the full cinematic experience. (ie running smoother and prettier. What can I say? At times I am quite the graphics whore)

Steam: Sid Meier's Civilization 4 $4.99, Complete Edition $7.49 (24 hr daily deal)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/3900/

75% off until 10am PST Friday 6/10.

Regular edition Civ 4 $4.99
Complete edition Civ 4 including Warlords, Beyond the Sword, and Colonization add-ons $7.49

I want to buy this, but does it works with window 7???

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']The leap frogging never ends. New highend consoles (none Nintendo of course ;) ) will come out matching the highest (sometimes surpasses) PC hardware at the time.[/QUOTE]

I pretty greatly doubt that any console has ever gone with top of the line video cards at launch. Consoles are all about price. The 360's got (pretty much) a Radeon x1900 clocked @ 500mhz. At that time, nVidia had the 7800 and ATi had the x850, all clocked a good bit above MS's card for the 360.

I'm not bashing consoles, I'm just saying that they won't come out matching or surpassing current PC prices because price is too much of an issue for them.

[quote name='leung19']Steam: Sid Meier's Civilization 4 $4.99, Complete Edition $7.49 (24 hr daily deal)

Complete edition Civ 4 including Warlords, Beyond the Sword, and Colonization add-ons $7.49

I want to buy this, but does it works with window 7???[/QUOTE]

Worked fine on my computer and I have windows 7 home premium

[quote name='leung19']Steam: Sid Meier's Civilization 4 $4.99, Complete Edition $7.49 (24 hr daily deal)

Runs great on both of my Win 7 Pro 64-bit PCs. Great price for the bundle too! Definitely going to point it out to a few friends.

Works great on Win 7! I have put in 97 hrs or so in the game so far. One of the best turn-based strategy games of all time. :D

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Works great on Win 7! I have put in 97 hrs or so in the game so far. One of the best RTS games of all time. :D[/QUOTE]

Civ IV is a turn based strategy game, not real-time (RTS), for anyone who's not played the series before (both of you), and is interested.

The complete pack is an absolute steal as Colonization is actually a remake of a separate game using the Civ IV engine, plus at this point the game will pretty much run on anything.

[quote name='mrsamsa']Civ IV is a turn based strategy game, not real-time (RTS), for anyone who's not played the series before (both of you), and is interested.

The complete pack is an absolute steal as Colonization is actually a remake of a separate game using the Civ IV engine, plus at this point the game will pretty much run on anything.[/QUOTE]

Oops! #-o I had just came back inside from doing yard work outside :hot: and was a little loopy.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']The leap frogging never ends. New highend consoles (none Nintendo of course ;) ) will come out matching the highest (sometimes surpasses) PC hardware at the time. The problem is consoles stay with the same specs for 5-10 years where as PC gets incremental updates every few months. So 3 years after the consoles are released, just about everything on the PC can surpass them. As for RE5 and many other games, you will lose DLC on the PC though.[/QUOTE]

:lol: sorry just had to laugh at this whole comment.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I pretty greatly doubt that any console has ever gone with top of the line video cards at launch. Consoles are all about price. The 360's got (pretty much) a Radeon x1900 clocked @ 500mhz. At that time, nVidia had the 7800 and ATi had the x850, all clocked a good bit above MS's card for the 360.

I'm not bashing consoles, I'm just saying that they won't come out matching or surpassing current PC prices because price is too much of an issue for them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... but as each generation of console emerges, the quality of graphics is pretty awesome at its price point. A gaming system based on ATI X1900 for $400 (release price) in 2005 was a damned fine deal. You couldn't get that in a new PC then.

Me ranting about the importance of graphics, or non-importance:
You are right, though. When they finally settle on a GPU chipset during the design process, the unit doesn't ship for 6-9 months after that point. Half a generation of PC GPU technology moves on during that period of time, and when the console actually is available to buy (not waiting in line for shipment trucks, or inflated prices on ebay), a full GPU generation has gone by.

But all of this just proves that since PS2/Xbox, graphical fidelity now takes a backseat to atmosphere, aesthetics, and story. You can still play Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Katamari Damacy, GTA: San Andreas, etc on a PS2 and have a fantastic game experience. Hell, I'd even pop in Metal Gear Solid if I still had an original Playstation that works.

Everyone is so excited about BF3 coming out and being "pc first" this time around, with DX11 support. But does it really look that much better than BFBC2? I don't think so. It's the same damned game. A little better looking, I guess. But what primarily sets it apart on the PC is 64-player maps, and a more mature and less casual community that can support the kind of teamwork that BF2 required but BFBC2 lacks. Skyrim, too. It'll be an awesome game, but it's being written for 5+ year-old hardware. It'll be an incredible game on all platforms because of the size, story, and especially the attention to detail. But the PC gamers get mods, which takes it to a whole 'nother level. I do hope they release an improved texture pack for PC players, though, like Bioware did for DA2. But no problem if they don't; there will be a stable graphics upgrade mod within a month or two.

And since this is a Steam deals thread, I'll chime in that Civ 4 works great on Windows 7! :) And there is no good reason to buy *just* Civ 4. Get the complete edition. When people talk about how great Civ 4 is, they mean "Civ 4: Beyond the Sword". So much got added and tweaked in this expansion that it is practically a full version release. Civ 4.5, if you will.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I pretty greatly doubt that any console has ever gone with top of the line video cards at launch. Consoles are all about price. The 360's got (pretty much) a Radeon x1900 clocked @ 500mhz. At that time, nVidia had the 7800 and ATi had the x850, all clocked a good bit above MS's card for the 360.

I'm not bashing consoles, I'm just saying that they won't come out matching or surpassing current PC prices because price is too much of an issue for them.[/QUOTE]

It's not just all about video card specs. I'm talking about the system as a whole. Since you mentioned Xbox 360, I don't recall a PC cpu during 2005 came with tri-core 3.2ghz. Correct me if I'm wrong but I only remember dual core then. Even if you put graphic card into consideration, the Xbox 360 could still output pretty much anything the PC with higher card can at the time. Optimization is the key. Likewise with last gen Xbox, the Intel 733mhz with geforce4-like card inside the box was able to run games much prettier and smoother than the same spec'ed PC. Again, it's all optimization.

[quote name='lito88']:lol: sorry just had to laugh at this whole comment.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you are laughing at but I'm :lol: with you.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']It's not just all about video card specs. I'm talking about the system as a whole. Since you mentioned Xbox 360, I don't recall a PC cpu during 2005 came with tri-core 3.2ghz. Correct me if I'm wrong but I only remember dual core then. Even if you put graphic card into consideration, the Xbox 360 could still output pretty much anything the PC with higher card can at the time. Optimization is the key. Likewise with last gen Xbox, the Intel 733mhz with geforce4-like card inside the box was able to run games much prettier and smoother than the same spec'ed PC. Again, it's all optimization.

Not sure what you are laughing at but I'm :lol: with you.[/QUOTE]

AMD released a tri core but that was much later than 2005.

The fact that consoles can somehow surpass PCs at a single point is the given tech is RD'd to mars and back. Look at the PS3 processor... no one even will even use them except for the PS3. Given the cost of manufacturing one, it's cheaper to stick to a tech you can, and produce 10 billion of it.

Consoles today should thank PCs, but they'll never get the credit.

Thanks for the tip on Civ 4. Purchasing now.

I actually came into this thread to see if there was a way to get sales on items you want emailed to you. Does anyone know if Steam can do this directly, or if another site can?

I'm a console gamer, so I'm pretty new to Steam :D.

[quote name='wuxbustah8']Thanks for the tip on Civ 4. Purchasing now.

I actually came into this thread to see if there was a way to get sales on items you want emailed to you. Does anyone know if Steam can do this directly, or if another site can?

I'm a console gamer, so I'm pretty new to Steam :D.[/QUOTE]

Not email, but if you have Facebook, "like" their facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/Steam

While you're at it, you may like some of these too:
Good Old Games
Direct2Drive
Impulse
Games for Windows Live
EA Games Insider Deals

Most of these have twitter feeds, too.

Or, just visit this thread at 10 Pacific daily! :) Console gamer, welcome to team awesome.

[quote name='henrylin22']hey can anyone paypal me [email protected] 50 cents? i need the cash for a deal and my cash doesnt transfer for a few days to balance, will pay $1 back. thanks![/QUOTE]

You may wish to retract this message before it gets reported.

Add my voice to the reported fact that Beyond the Sword is the definitive Civ IV. If you're going to play it at all, it's worth the extra two and a half bucks to go that route.

The shame is the games that you HAVE to have a console for. Infamous, halo, resistance. Games so great on a console.....just imagine GT5 running at 1200p At 60 FPS .....infamous running heavy PhysX.....realistic graphics in Halo

[quote name='henrylin22']hey can anyone paypal me [email protected] 50 cents? i need the cash for a deal and my cash doesnt transfer for a few days to balance, will pay $1 back. thanks![/QUOTE]

Your account doesn't need a balance to do a transaction. As long as your bank account is hooked up to it, you can buy even with $0 in your Paypal.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']The leap frogging never ends. New highend consoles (none Nintendo of course ;) ) will come out matching the highest (sometimes surpasses) PC hardware at the time. The problem is consoles stay with the same specs for 5-10 years where as PC gets incremental updates every few months. So 3 years after the consoles are released, just about everything on the PC can surpass them. As for RE5 and many other games, you will lose DLC on the PC though.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='6er']The shame is the games that you HAVE to have a console for. Infamous, halo, resistance. Games so great on a console.....just imagine GT5 running at 1200p At 60 FPS .....infamous running heavy PhysX.....realistic graphics in Halo[/QUOTE]

What I'm waiting for is when all the systems can just be cross-linked, so I can play games with my friends even if we're not on the same console, and for Zelda to come to the PC. (I'll probably be waiting a while. HA)

I hate console exclusives. Everything should be on the players choice of console :D.

[quote name='gcorlett']Not email, but if you have Facebook, "like" their facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/Steam

While you're at it, you may like some of these too:
Good Old Games
Direct2Drive
Impulse
Games for Windows Live
EA Games Insider Deals

Most of these have twitter feeds, too.

Or, just visit this thread at 10 Pacific daily! :) Console gamer, welcome to team awesome.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I check to many sites for one thing on a daily basis. Huge time sucker. Trying to avoid that lol. (Isn't quite working, Doh!)

Anyways, thanks for all those links. I liked them all.

Off topic: Any good games similar to Civilization? I really like the game style.

[quote name='wuxbustah8']Ah, I check to many sites for one thing on a daily basis. Huge time sucker. Trying to avoid that lol. (Isn't quite working, Doh!)

Anyways, thanks for all those links. I liked them all.

Off topic: Any good games similar to Civilization? I really like the game style.[/QUOTE]

Actually GOG released Alpha Centauri today, an old game made by the same group that makes Civilization. It's kind of like Civ in space and is freaking amazing.

There are also some total conversion mods for Civ 4 that basically turn it into completely different games. There is a really popular one based on fantasy that I can't recall the name of at the moment.

[quote name='jaredhenry13']Does anybody know when the Summer Sale is supposed to start?[/QUOTE]

I don't think Steam ever announces their sales but last year it was the week leading up to the 4th of July I believe.

Is that the lowest price civ4 complete has been?
Think it might reappear cheaper during the summer sale?
(have a backlog, will probably not get to it in awhile/can wait)

[quote name='Newl']Is that the lowest price civ4 complete has been?[/QUOTE]

No, it was $6.24 during the 2010 holiday sale, which I think is the cheapest Steam has had it for.

There's also been some sales at other places for an older non-complete "Complete Edition" at lower prices, I think, but those were missing Colonization.

The non-complete "Complete Edition" is sometimes called the EU Complete Edition, which is another clue to it being incomplete.

Direct2Drive.eu had the proper Complete Edition for 4,95 € (ironically) in April 2010, which wasn't beaten by Steam until six months ago (as bitter1961 points out). I wouldn't be surprised to see it at $6.24 again this summer.

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Really tempted to pick up RE5. Ever since building a new gaming rig and seeing that game running at 60fps on max settings, good lord. That was the defining moment when I realized just how far ahead of consoles PC hardware was.

Only thing stopping me is that I remember it being less. Wasn't it $6.80 or something somewhat recently? =\[/QUOTE]

I'd really like to get it for pc, but I think I'll end up getting the gold edition on the consoles. Disappointing that the dlc never came out for the pc.

[quote name='AcrylamideTic']Actually GOG released Alpha Centauri today, an old game made by the same group that makes Civilization. It's kind of like Civ in space and is freaking amazing.

There are also some total conversion mods for Civ 4 that basically turn it into completely different games. There is a really popular one based on fantasy that I can't recall the name of at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Ha, I saw that. Have you played the expansion?

From what I've gathered, the game is 10x better with the expansion. And besides, I'm waiting for it to come out on Steam, I'm addicted now ;).

[quote name='wuxbustah8']Ha, I saw that. Have you played the expansion?

From what I've gathered, the game is 10x better with the expansion. And besides, I'm waiting for it to come out on Steam, I'm addicted now ;).[/QUOTE]

It is better better with the expansion, though a little unbalanced. If you can't win as Captain Svensgard, you probably couldn't make it through the tutorial either.

[quote name='hal']Wow - crappy prices on both Capcom games. I even have Dead Rising 2 on my wishlist and I think I'm going to pass.[/QUOTE]

Same.

I'm fairly certain I've resisted all the Daily Deals so far, somehow. I can almost convince myself that it's because I'm saving up for the summer sale.

I picked up a retail copy of DR2 for $6.xx from GS a while back during an online glitch sale, so I'll pass on that.

sigh, if only resident evil 5 would become 10$. It was 15$ during the christmas sale. I already beat the game, but I really wanna have it in my steam list. I never finished all of mercenaries.

[quote name='JakeNome']sigh, if only resident evil 5 would become 10$. It was 15$ during the christmas sale. I already beat the game, but I really wanna have it in my steam list. I never finished all of mercenaries.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm waiting for $10 at most for this game. Capcom is really stubborn about lowering their PC prices for some reason.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Yeah, I'm waiting for $10 at most for this game. Capcom is really stubborn about lowering their PC prices for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Capcom hates PC gamers. They just seem to think we're worse than roaches but they try to feed us scraps anyway.

Picked up Civ IV complete on the daily deal. I tried playing the tutorial last night but I didn't know it was going to be over an hour, I had to quit and I'll play that game when I've got a huge chunk of time to devote to civ. I think the turn-based stuff will take getting used to.

[quote name='sotc1988']Picked up Civ IV complete on the daily deal. I tried playing the tutorial last night but I didn't know it was going to be over an hour, I had to quit and I'll play that game when I've got a huge chunk of time to devote to civ. I think the turn-based stuff will take getting used to.[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah, one game of Civ is as long as most video games. 10 hours or something. It's the Monopoly or Risk of video games.

Civ games are notorious for "one more turn" turning into "Oh Shaq-fu it's light outside." You seriously need to devote an entire Saturday to it if you're hoping for a game in one sitting, especially on larger map settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back