Street Fighter IV PS3 Official Discussion Thread

I need to get better... I really don't feel like I won't ever get the challenges done. I also feel like I am back to square one now that I got my joystick back. Like relearning a bike.

Huh... I just beat a Ken scrub literally only using throw... Go in 1 character distance and he'd throw a fireball which I'd block. I'd walk back in and stand. Immediately after he'd Shoryuken and I'd block and I'd throw him on the way down... I thought I'd just kinda bait for a round and do that to see what'd happen and he just kept falling for it. For 3 rounds straight...

^lol nice. I do the same except instead of a throw I'll electrocute with Blanka.
I played a balrog earlier who had no idea what to do when I went electric. he kept trying to jump kick me and straight punch me. It was great. Turbo function is awesome.

[quote name='HowStern']^lol nice. I do the same except instead of a throw I'll electrocute with Blanka.
I played a balrog earlier who had no idea what to do when I went electric. he kept trying to jump kick me and straight punch me. It was great. Turbo function is awesome.[/quote]
For you that don't know: The solution is sweep kick. Or continuously taunt just to show the other player you're not playing their mind games.

^thanks for giving it away :p lol but yeah if they don't try to sweep kick within the first 10 seconds of my electrocution then I know they have no idea what to do and I've got the win. I fought an e. honda who didn't know and he kept head charging me til he died.

I really enjoy how much people think Cammy is safe when she's not. Pretty much all her moves are super unsafe on block except her knuckle since the blow back is pretty far. Block spiral arrow and I get to throw for free. Block Cannon Spike and I pretty much get to do whatever I want for free.

edit: I also enjoy how some people think Zangiefs lariat is invincible. Just jump in deep and I can do whatever combo I want for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Thanks for the tip slam. I keep getting my butt kicked by Cammys who just use cannon spike and spiral arrow the whole match. Now I know how to handle it.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']^^ Thanks for the tip slam. I keep getting my butt kicked by Cammys who just use cannon spike and spiral arrow the whole match. Now I know how to handle it.[/quote]
Spiral arrow only LOOKS safe. It's 2 hits at close range but the animation keeps going after the hits for a while. More than enough time to throw. And Cannon Spike you just deal with like you'd deal with a Shoryuken. Block it and get em on the way down.

Other character that look safe: Bison. Scissor kick is punishable. Psycho crusher is punishable. Head stomp you just need to dash back and he'll land in front of you giving you get a free throw.

Finally finished Blankas last hard challenge and got his icon. It took me longer to get his 5th hard challenge done than it took me to get seth and goukens first 3 hard challenges combined. I'm stuck on both of their 4th hard challenges now though. :( I can get up to the EX sonic boom with seths and then the EX attack is always late. It's more annoying when you get to the 2nd to last move and mess up then not being able to do it at all.

[quote name='slam09']I really enjoy how much people think Cammy is safe when she's not. Pretty much all her moves are super unsafe on block except her knuckle since the blow back is pretty far. Block spiral arrow and I get to throw for free. Block Cannon Spike and I pretty much get to do whatever I want for free.

edit: I also enjoy how some people think Zangiefs lariat is invincible. Just jump in deep and I can do whatever combo I want for free.[/QUOTE]
That's why Cammy players must learn how to hit confirm and space.

[quote name='option.iv']That's why Cammy players must learn how to hit confirm and space.[/quote]

I completely agree. I'm a Cammy player and I always have to adjust on how people play.

arghhhh why can't I do guile's level 4 normal trial? that flash kick to double flash kick is killing me.

at least I beat survival normal level 19 yesterday with a gold medal. :) (that balrog and bison combo back to back gets so frustrating)

i'd like to play in the tourny but with my loss record vs loads of people in ranked and player matches, I have a feeling I'll get taken out in the first match lol. After reading some of the comments on how people play in this thread I believe it too. I don't really know all these techniques and I play mostly by reaction haha.

[quote name='imascrub']i'd like to play in the tourny but with my loss record vs loads of people in ranked and player matches, I have a feeling I'll get taken out in the first match lol. After reading some of the comments on how people play in this thread I believe it too. I don't really know all these techniques and I play mostly by reaction haha.[/quote]

don't be scared it is only a video game. besides I play by reaction as well. I will admit though I do get stubborn trying to pull off a certain move or combo that will cost me a round here and there. lol

enter the tournament. who knows you might win plus it will help your game get better.

@cammy players. I tend to play her like a shoto so thats why I don't abuse her moves like other people. my tip is to learn to add in as many lp and lks as you can get in with your combos, they help a lot with her.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarkKenpachi']arghhhh why can't I do guile's level 4 normal trial? that flash kick to double flash kick is killing me.
[/quote]
After reading this I realized I hadn't done any of guiles trials and this is definitely frustrating but I figured the trick out.
When you do the flash kick hit:

db>uf k
And use the f to rotate right into the double flash kicks second half in one continuos motion the db charge will count for both.

The other thing I did was use turbo for HK so when I hit it for the flash kick I just held it down after so it would hit it again automatically for me after the uf, f, df, db, uf motion

so the whole motion is
charge db, uf, Hk, f, df, db, uf, Hk
all in one continuous motion

I am using the ds3, I can do the bison, blank, and e honda's normal into super and all that jazz it is just that guile's is really blistering my fingers. I know the motion too, its just that I get caught up somehow.

honestly my problem now is that I am trying to do it like a job and not a game and my sub conscious won't let me do it or something. when I sit down and try to do it not in a hurry it will probably come right out.

hmm i managed to do that guile trial with the normal motions. It hurt my thumb like hell after awhile, but I pulled it off. I didn't know rolling motions worked and would still count. I gotta try that sometime, cuz I'm very inconsistent in pulling off guile's supers. About half the time I end up just jump kicking lol

[quote name='imascrub']hmm i managed to do that guile trial with the normal motions. It hurt my thumb like hell after awhile, but I pulled it off. I didn't know rolling motions worked and would still count. I gotta try that sometime, cuz I'm very inconsistent in pulling off guile's supers. About half the time I end up just jump kicking lol[/quote]

I did it with the normal movements too, I have more trouble doing it with the reverse tiger knee motion. :lol:

The only rolling one I have trouble with is zangiefs super/ultra. i always jump. always. unless i do an ex attack first and start while he is about to hit. i'm junk with zangief.

[quote name='HowStern']The only rolling one I have trouble with is zangiefs super/ultra. i always jump. always. unless i do an ex attack first and start while he is about to hit. i'm junk with zangief.[/quote]

You have to do that lightning fast. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating, but it does have to be done really fast. Are you using a stick or controller? If controller then which one?

I'm using the fightpad now. I definitely had an easier time using the DS3 analog stick with that move but even then had trouble. I would always have to cancel into it. Sometimes I would even taunt and do the motion while he did the personal action to keep on the ground lol. That would never work online though.

[quote name='HowStern']I'm using the fightpad now. I definitely had an easier time using the DS3 analog stick with that move but even then had trouble. I would always have to cancel into it. Sometimes I would even taunt and do the motion while he did the personal action to keep on the ground lol. That would never work online though.[/quote]

Really? How long have you had the fightpad for out of curiosity?

EDIT: Better yet, how long have you used it? I had to break mine in before it became smooth as butter.

[quote name='distgfx']Really? How long have you had the fightpad for out of curiosity?

EDIT: Better yet, how long have you used it? I had to break mine in before it became smooth as butter.[/quote]

Yeah I just got it a week ago from when best buy online had 'em in stock. It's still a little stiff.

funny thing is that I can consistently get out zangiefs super and ultra. I normally only try them on wake up, blocking, or landing from a jump though. he is one of my mains though and I will admit playing this game has made it easier for me to get the super out in SSF2HD and SFA3.

I just have a funny feeling that in the end of things the only thing I will have left to complete far as task wise in this game will be the move challenges. 5 time and 4 survival challenges left to get gold in.

I will probably end up with a fightpad or something down the road just to finish up the trials.

I think it is time for me to stop playing ranked matches. Out of 10 matches, I got 6 disconnects when close to victory and the other times I just flat out got beat like a red-headed stepchild. I will probably add the rest of the peeps that post in this thread for fighting action, as it seems like the couple of CAGs I have currently have on my friend's list have been sucked into the RE5/KZ2 sinkhole. :)

@ohvermie sorry man RE5 is a good game :). I do need to come back and get some mirror and random matches with you. I can play tonight a lil past 12 if your down?

It's alright dude, I understand the need to facehole zombies. I'd be doing the same thing if I had the means to get RE5. :)

As for tonight, probably not, I have to get up super early tomorrow morning.

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']hit me up whenever you see me not playing RE5. I still need like 80 more matches for the 500 trophy.[/quote]

Jesus, and I just hit my 200 last night.

[quote name='distgfx']Jesus, and I just hit my 200 last night.[/quote]

hey what can I say I got the game day one and have played almost everyday since then for at least 3 hours a days. I am over 80 hours already. brings me back to my childhood. :) only difference now is that I give up sleep to play the game. lol)

add me if you wanna play a few rounds. we can play mirror matches, random matches whatever I don't care it is all in the spirit of fun. :)

PSN: Kenpachiexodia

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']hey what can I say I got the game day one and have played almost everyday since then for at least 3 hours a days. I am over 80 hours already. brings me back to my childhood. :) only difference now is that I give up sleep to play the game. lol)

add me if you wanna play a few rounds. we can play mirror matches, random matches whatever I don't care it is all in the spirit of fun. :)

PSN: Kenpachiexodia[/quote]

As long as you reach 500 matches, right? :lol: j/k

I'll add you the next time I'm on. I wanna get my 100 wins trophy myself to get the Akuma shirt in home. Just 25 more wins to go!

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']

I will probably end up with a fightpad or something down the road just to finish up the trials.[/quote]

One thing that's really dissapointing and slightly intimidating, is that the turbo isn't even fast enough for some combos.
El fuertes 3rd hard challenge there's a part where you have to hit LP 3x in a row and the turbo isn't fast enough for it. You have to tap like you were playing a van halen solo.
Same thing with blankas 5th hard challenge and one of c vipers hard challenges i forget which one. Every move in it is done with MP.

but on a lot of trials the turbo is a big help. also the turbo is awesome if you play blanka, gen, etc. ovbiously

[quote name='HowStern']One thing that's really dissapointing and slightly intimidating, is that the turbo isn't even fast enough for some combos.
El fuertes 3rd hard challenge there's a part where you have to hit LP 3x in a row and the turbo isn't fast enough for it. You have to tap like you were playing a van halen solo.
Same thing with blankas 5th hard challenge and one of c vipers hard challenges i forget which one. Every move in it is done with MP.

but on a lot of trials the turbo is a big help. also the turbo is awesome if you play blanka, gen, etc. ovbiously[/quote]

funny thing about all these combos though is that outside of a few, most will never get used consistently in real play. very few players I have come across really use a lot of the combos presented in the move trials anyway. I don't play that many ranked games so I couldn't tell you per se. Add me so we can get a few matches tonight.

[quote name='distgfx']As long as you reach 500 matches, right? :lol: j/k

I'll add you the next time I'm on. I wanna get my 100 wins trophy myself to get the Akuma shirt in home. Just 25 more wins to go![/quote]

lol cool man. I need to boost my win total as well so I can unlock the 301 and 506 wins icon and title. make sure you add me. lol

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']funny thing about all these combos though is that outside of a few, most will never get used consistently in real play. very few players I have come across really use a lot of the combos presented in the move trials anyway. I don't play that many ranked games so I couldn't tell you per se. Add me so we can get a few matches tonight.
[/quote]

So true. I wish the save file wasn't copy protected because I really don't think I'll ever be able to do some of them again (or want to try) and would desperately like a back up. :(

@howstern ain't that the truth. I still have 5 more time and 4 survival challenges to finish to get the gold trophy. I want a bigger HDD but now after all my work on SF I will have to just reformat my 1 TB harddrive to FAT32 so I can transport all the extra junk on my harddrive.

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']lol cool man. I need to boost my win total as well so I can unlock the 301 and 506 wins icon and title. make sure you add me. lol[/quote]

I got the 100 wins today, go me! If you wanna play, I'll just fuck around and pick random each time or something whenever. I don't have any other goal with the game.

I'm really getting tired of the online play. It's nothing but jump back, jump back, fireball. "If they get too close, sweep. If they start comboing, mash out SRK." Whoever said jumping back is safe as hell, they were right.

Jumping back just leads to eating a Blanka HK vert ball to the face. :)

I have had some better luck in playing random player matches than ranked matches. Seen some pretty mean Fuerte, Rufus, and Akuma players through that. And they're usually out to have fun so they don't just spam the same shit over and over again. Although sometimes I wish they would so I can wrap my head around how to trump their shit.

[quote name='ohvermie']Jumping back just leads to eating a Blanka HK vert ball to the face. :)

I have had some better luck in playing random player matches than ranked matches. Seen some pretty mean Fuerte, Rufus, and Akuma players through that. And they're usually out to have fun so they don't just spam the same shit over and over again. Although sometimes I wish they would so I can wrap my head around how to trump their shit.[/QUOTE]
That's great if I played Blanka. However, I play Cammy and Bison, so I have to constantly dodge through, and eventually try to corner them. Thank goodness Bison also has teleport, but the lag on that move is too long, and I have to know well ahead of time to do it safely.

I am really starting to like abel, rufus, and C. Viper. I need to play with them more on hardest before I start to use them on people.

@howstern gg's last night man. you got a decent blanka there. you can really tell the difference with him when you have a turbo controller at your disposal. sorry I left so early, my best friend was calling me to play RE5. lol I should be around again tomorrow night if you wanna play.

haha yeah those were good games. i was picking random people and you were handing my ass to me everytime so every so often i had to pick blanka to win for once lol i think like i had maybe 13% of the wins at the most

i finally got 10 ranked wins in a row trophy with blanka
i got up to 1800 bp and ended up with 1400 i was down to 1300 but beat someone with like 4000 and got 100 something bp for it

i'll def be on tonight probably around 9:30-10pmish eastern

my sf4 madcatz SE stick broke (can't do left[1/4/7] inputs)

just when i thought i wore in the springs, sigh

stop crying option 4, bison is high tier

[quote name='Furashu']hey Rol, thanks for signing up, ill add ya on friday to prevent confusion with this tourney and next[/quote]

no prob. I need an excuse to play this more because I keep forgetting how good the game is.

bread's done
Back