Super Mario Maker discussion (update)The imaginary game that will get me to buy a WiiU - Super Mario Maker

I hope that levels can be exported to an SD card, because otherwise we have to pray that Nintendo keeps the servers for this game open forever.

By the time Nintendo shuts down the servers, there will likely be a Mario Maker 2 or remixed edition for the NX that will use the old saves.

GameXplain is doing a live demo of the Japanese version. There was a level where you were trapped in a room of dozens of springs and had a ton of Mystery Mushroom spring costumes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxZtf9UIcEs

Nintendo has a Day 1 patch for the game that, among other bug fixes, changed the unlocking method for the content. New content unlocks every 15 minutes of playtime instead of each day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendo has a Day 1 patch for the game that, among other bug fixes, changed the unlocking method for the content. New content unlocks every 15 minutes of playtime instead of each day.
Really glad to hear about this update. I wasn't too thrilled to hear that I'd have to wait days for new content to be unlocked or I'd have to speed up the clock on my console.

I am really stoked to get off work and get my copy of this. I had actually sent my mother out with some cash to pick me up the new Amiibo's today while I am at work. I am not going to miss out on that sweet 8-bit Mario, she said it will remind her of when I was a kid and how she would wait in line for the new Power Rangers toys back in the day. I told her that the only difference will be that this time she will be waiting in line with a bunch of middle aged men around my age or older, who will likely buy as many figures as they can.

Here's the first level I made. They don't let you start with many tools, so it's fairly simplistic.

3 ways to finish! Can get to the top of the flag?

B535-0000-0018-9A6C

AD7A-0000-0017-23E5

This is my first course. Simple because its made just with the beginner tools, but its a good basic course for newbies. Please star me!

Here is one I worked on for a while today. May be too hard, I dunno...

2A82-0000-0016-86DF

Was thinking about the last stage in Super Mario 3 when I made this.

Edit: How about a Yoshi level? 408A-0000-001A-41A9

And, here was my first attempt from this morning: 640F-0000-0015-455D

Sorry! Just saw your post. I will give it a whirl in a bit. The gamepad was getting hot on me from playing so long. First time I've had to charge it up multiple times in one day.

Edit: Starred. Not bad.

Here's the first level I made. They don't let you start with many tools, so it's fairly simplistic.

3 ways to finish! Can get to the top of the flag?

B535-0000-0018-9A6C

I got the game kind of late tonight. When Xbox Live gaming plans fell through, I cracked open my just-acquired copy of Mario Maker and played a couple hours. Made one level outside of the initial tutorial thing. Played through a couple 10 Mario Challenges and a single 100 Mario Challenge.

Great stuff so far!

Just started playing for a few hours last night. I made a rather simple platforming variant of World 1-1, but the tools you start with definitely limit what you are able to do. The initial limitation and waiting to unlock more tools is the one thing that really bugs me about this game, I would have preferred the game not hold my hand so much and allow me to have all the creative freedom I want out of the gate. Aside from that and the absurd amount of "Don't Move" levels out right now, I am really enjoying the game. I hope we start seeing more traditional and unique platforming levels though, because after all I want to play levels and not ride virtual Mario roller coasters. 

I was able to unlock everything last night. If you play in the maker for 5 minutes (or is it 15?), you'll get the notification that new tools will be delivered the next day. Then, start putting down blocks everywhere. The number of blocks put down in the maker will make the tools show up faster.

I'm a little disappointed that the freakin' Wii board and the spring get character mushrooms and yet a certain character did not...A certain character that worked his butt off keeping Donkey Kong and the bees out of his greenhouse...a certain character that has popped up occasionally in the WarioWare games....and even got replaced in a certain character that keeps getting passed up for every single smash bros. game....and now Mario Kart....and apparently Mario Maker....and will probably never get his own Amiibo....

Here are 3 courses I've made:

1-Up Haven: E12A-0000-0020-658A
Pipe Maze: 8F76-0000-0021-69B1
Journey to the Tree of Beginning: 3A99-0000-0021-0F8E

I love the game but it got me thinking. It's amazing how far we have come in 30 years. From playing on giant CRT tv's to playing on giant flatscreens, making our own levels on touchscreens and playing other levels from people across the globe.

Also I wish Nintendo had the option to either do all the tutorial stuff or just give you everything at once. I think I have enough Mario cred to use everything at once, seeing I just about played every 2D Mario to date. I unlocked all the pieces last night, did the 5 mins then upped the clock to the next day and repeat.

Wanted to see what the first level of Mario 3 would look like in Super Mario World: 7F8F-0000-0021-A5F2
Played and starred this one and your Yoshi level. Almost made it all the way to Bowser from one of the mushrooms with the cape and a running start but came up just short. Pretty good stuff.

I noticed a few courses were implementing the 30th anniversary amiibo powerup but it delt kind of gimmicky and unnecessary in a lot of cases so I decided to make a course in which you have to make effective use of it. Check it out.

21E6-0000-0026-DA9F

I heard the game doesn't have the ability to use checkpoints. Do you think that could be part of a future update?
They probably won't do checkpoints because the levels themselves can't be made super long length wise. Some people make super hard levels though so it makes you wish for checkpoints, but distance wise they aren't that far.

Here is the first of eight levels I am creating in a series called: Legend of Mario.

Legend of Mario: Shroom Dungeon    4D80-0000-0027-E27E

The goal of each level in the series is to make the level feature a power-up (like an item/weapon in Zelda) that has to be used to complete the stage. So the basic Mushroom is the key to Shroom Dungeon. It's not easy, but I hope you will enjoy the logic of the puzzles!

Made my first level. Kinda tired of all the springboard jumps, stars, lakitu's, and craziness that I've been running into, so it is more of a standard mario course.

Theres a harder platformy way to get through it, and a much easier way if you poke around and explore. Also a couple hidden 1-ups.

B985-0000-002A-50F0

Made 2 more levels, one in the air, one in the water.

High Flying - 44BE-0000-0033-094E

Grab the Shells - E32B-0000-0033-38B9

AD7A-0000-0017-23E5

This is my first course. Simple because its made just with the beginner tools, but its a good basic course for newbies. Please star me!
Wanted to comment but it said I had to start Mii Verse at least once.

I liked your level a lot. I admit I tried to use one of the koopas on the 1up trick (and failed). And I died the first time I saw
the flying goomba

I don't want to spam the thread, but I'll comment on every level once I get the Mii Verse stuff figured out.

Made my first level. Kinda tired of all the springboard jumps, stars, lakitu's, and craziness that I've been running into, so it is more of a standard mario course.

Theres a harder platformy way to get through it, and a much easier way if you poke around and explore. Also a couple hidden 1-ups.

B985-0000-002A-50F0
Played and starred this, it was really good. Very creative path choices.

Also played and starred some of the others listed here. I'm going to play as many as I can.

Oh, a little piece of advice. If you put down a pipe, either have it go off screen or put it up against something. Don't have it floating in mid-air not attached to anything. Does not look professional at all.

Played and starred this, it was really good. Very creative path choices.

Also played and starred some of the others listed here. I'm going to play as many as I can.
Thanks! Kind of want to start another, but the first was quite the undertaking, time wise. Maybe they will go faster now.

Going to load and play some of the others in this thread when I get a chance.

Funny, with how many times you have to enter play mode and test things, it's like second nature to play through your own when you are done building. I can pretty much run through it almost every time without a hiccup - so you start thinking "well, this is pretty easy". Then when you see that it has a success rate under 4% and only 4 / 17 people bothered to finish it, it kind of hits home that it's a muscle memory / knowledge thing.

If you really wanna test your precision in platforming.

C572-0000-002B-C96A
Cleared.

Now delete this thing. Please, for the sake of the children.

In other news, played several others that were linked here and starred them, good stuff.

Thanks! Kind of want to start another, but the first was quite the undertaking, time wise. Maybe they will go faster now.

Going to load and play some of the others in this thread when I get a chance.

Funny, with how many times you have to enter play mode and test things, it's like second nature to play through your own when you are done building. I can pretty much run through it almost every time without a hiccup - so you start thinking "well, this is pretty easy". Then when you see that it has a success rate under 4% and only 4 / 17 people bothered to finish it, it kind of hits home that it's a muscle memory / knowledge thing.
I only have 3 days worth of "stuff" so my creations aren't too complex yet, but even so, I noticed even my "beginners" course which is very easy, only had like a 35% completion rate. I think you are right that creators may be making some difficult levels unknowingly, but I also think some people are probably pretty lazy and impatient.

I've been making levels for the last few days.  This game/creation tool is amazing!

The levels I've made aren't ridiculously hard but I feel they're a fun and rewarding challenge.  They're more later level type of vibe IMO.  Check 'em out:

(newer)

Mushroom Road (8620-0000-0034-90E1)

A Walk In The Clouds (D9E8-0000-002A-5A6B)

Bowser Family Revenge (9151-0000-0023-221C)

Large And In Charge (ED14-0000-001A-1EF8)

Koopa Kave (3665-0000-0017-CB17)

Break Block Rock (3ECA-0000-0015-ECD9)

(older)

Still haven't unlocked everything so I'm excited to see what else I can come up with! :)

Follow me/add me on the Nintendo network: Sludgepond

Here for pics of the levels on Miiverse: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Sludgepond/posts

Cleared.

Now delete this thing. Please, for the sake of the children.

In other news, played several others that were linked here and starred them, good stuff.
lol, congrats. You're the only one to do it so far :p

Seriously, though, this level definitely take some platforming skill. It's not just a bunch of enemies thrown together where you can get lucky. Good on you for finishing.

lol, congrats. You're the only one to do it so far :p

Seriously, though, this level definitely take some platforming skill. It's not just a bunch of enemies thrown together where you can get lucky. Good on you for finishing.
I'm not sure how many mario's were slain in the process, but it was a lot.

It has really good design -- as you said, it's all about learning/nailing the course, and not random luck. Any time I died, it was my fault, and I didn't feel "cheated". That kept me interested / wanting to progress.

I -almost- gave up at one point, but after exiting and seeing how close I was to the finish on the thumbnail, I loaded it back up and finished it out.

Likely Death percentages:

33% - *@#$ goomba

33% - horizontal spike portion on lower level

33% - random arg moments

And yeah, I think people may just be impatient on the levels. I went through and looked at the 75ish levels that I have played, and I have probably finished 65 or so of them. I generally only skip levels that rely on dumb luck or have some gimmick that doesn't do it for me. One level that was nothing but millions of enemies to run through with star power, to the point of not being able to see anything, then I couldn't finish because I didn't find a mushroom to get "big" along the way sticks out in my mind. Didn't bother retrying that.

The top starred levels were disappointing to go through as well. Random Rube Goldberg machines (which probably took some time/talent to make work, I understand), and a level with random amiibo mushrooms in blocks on a flat piece of ground, etc. I stopped after the first few. I hope their popularity doesn't inspire tons of clones, and instead people start making more polished levels that are fun to play.

That being said, I'm loving this game so far. Been wanting to make my own mario levels since i was a kid. I remember drawing them out on paper when I was in second grade or so.

I'm not sure how many mario's were slain in the process, but it was a lot.

It has really good design -- as you said, it's all about learning/nailing the course, and not random luck. Any time I died, it was my fault, and I didn't feel "cheated". That kept me interested / wanting to progress.

I -almost- gave up at one point, but after exiting and seeing how close I was to the finish on the thumbnail, I loaded it back up and finished it out.

Likely Death percentages:

33% - *@#$ goomba

33% - horizontal spike portion on lower level

33% - random arg moments

And yeah, I think people may just be impatient on the levels. I went through and looked at the 75ish levels that I have played, and I have probably finished 65 or so of them. I generally only skip levels that rely on dumb luck or have some gimmick that doesn't do it for me. One level that was nothing but millions of enemies to run through with star power, to the point of not being able to see anything, then I couldn't finish because I didn't find a mushroom to get "big" along the way sticks out in my mind. Didn't bother retrying that.

The top starred levels were disappointing to go through as well. Random Rube Goldberg machines (which probably took some time/talent to make work, I understand), and a level with random amiibo mushrooms in blocks on a flat piece of ground, etc. I stopped after the first few. I hope their popularity doesn't inspire tons of clones, and instead people start making more polished levels that are fun to play.

That being said, I'm loving this game so far. Been wanting to make my own mario levels since i was a kid. I remember drawing them out on paper when I was in second grade or so.
'preciate the compliment.

I kinda wish there were more categories for levels in searching. I agree that some of the top starred levels aren't amazing. The last time I checked the top two were Rube Goldbergs, as you said. They're definitely amusing to watch, but it does kinda bug me that they're at the very top. I watched a streamer play a Super Meat Boy level which looked excellent.

I haven't had nearly enough time to play more levels. I'm hoping to go through this thread in a few days and play through several courses. Need to set aside some time so that I can focus on finishing levels instead of quitting to go get other stuff done.

I also adore this game. Really anything that lets players create and share content is wonderful. I was fairly big into Warcraft III modding, which was more difficult to get into than this is, and I spent a lot of time helping people learn the tools to create their own stuff. This game is so user-friendly and allows for so much imagination. We need more of this stuff.

I decided to build a "water" level last night and I was at it so long or whatever that a notification popped up and alerted me that I was being gifted the "castle" elements and the ability to use the SMB3 template early. That was kind of nice. I also earned to ability to use the autoscroll feature. The one I really want is the ability to use pipes.

Anyway, yeah the "Don't touch anything" levels that are ranked extremely high are kind of annoying, though I try to respect the fact that they probably took a lot of thought to make as well. I'm just not a fan of them in comparison to actually "playing" the game. As far as Amiibo, it does kind of bother me that some of those ones receive so many stars. I played a Sonic one that was basically just a flat course run collecting coins. I guess it got starred so much just because people wanted to play as Sonic, but there was no creativity. 

Yea, GameXplain has made a lot of really cool levels, including the aforementioned Super Meat Boy one.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oadqQ7J2Q4I

https://youtube.com/watch?v=axEZxTZJcso

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yXmiQgnBNn4

What a great thread. I'll be coming here a lot.

I've only uploaded three levels. Here's the one that isn't my first try, or the one my 6-year-old daughter dictated. Stayed up way too late making it. It isn't hard, but hopefully it's fun:

Loop-dee-coin Caverns: B1DB-0000-0034-8271

bread's done
Back