Super Mario Maker discussion (update)The imaginary game that will get me to buy a WiiU - Super Mario Maker

Holy shit I died alot, but finally beat it. That last set of thomps got me several times as I was just being too impatient. Pretty solid level.

I actually like how you allow the player to see the thwomps before they encounter them because I'm noticing in alot of people's levels they drop thwomps on you that you can't see and that's kinda shitty.
Thanks dude...goal was definitely to make it progressively harder. You can actually run right through the first set of Thwomps...first one easily, second one you've gotta be paying attention, third one you need to take your time, then tried to make the ending just hard enough to be challenging without annoyingly frustrating or cheap by giving the player two options to complete it (hopefully you noticed that).

----

I really dislike "hidden surprises" since it seems like everyone is doing them. Ok, a hidden block that makes you fall into a pit right at the beginning of the level can make me laugh, but I really feel like you get more of a "holy shit" reaction when you can actually see a interesting challenge coming rather than a "ugh, screw this" feeling when you are hit with a cheap surprise.

----

Haven't had much time this week at all to sample levels but I'm gonna try a bunch of them in the last couple pages this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Castle:
Glad to see a poweup from the start, especially for the Hammer Bros. at the top. Also appreciate the second path with the Twomps. For Bowser at the end, I would add some more space to maneuver around him - especially if you don't have a fire flower at the end. Overall, I enjoyed it.

Do the Wave:
Another great use of the fireflower. Yes it's easier, but like the paths you can use it in different ways. I found myself shooting them on top of question marks and watching the ball bounce onto an incoming enemy. Is there a wave of coins to signify a path without getting hit? Only thing I would do is remove some spikes which make it harder to swim through when big. So far your SMB1 water level is the only one I've stared. Another good job.

Loop Dee Coin Caverns:
I actually played and stared this one earlier. You're one of the few people that adds coins in length to a level. On a second playthru I discovered the star area. Level was a little short, but that's more of a "I wanted to play it longer" feel than a criticism. Felt a little claustrophobic at times. Another good level.

Bouncy Plains:
The only level where I died the first time. Trampolines are not my friend but it was fun anyway. I like to explore blocks and questions marks so this was a nice change from the caverns level.
Thanks! It's nice to hear someone likes my levels, even better to get constructive criticism. Looking back on my early levels, my biggest problems are overfilling the screen and not testing the differences between playing as big and small Mario.

I just finished a new level that I hope embraces a "less is more" design philosophy. Enjoy!

"Airshipesque": 13B3-0000-004D-31F4

My favorite ones I've made:

Mario Kart: Bowser's Castle!! B93F-0000-0048-81F1

We need your help, Star Fox!!! C40A-0000-003F-75C2

Challenging ones I've made:

Put Some Spring in Your Step! 9091-0000-001C-A1EC

My 1st Castle D76C-0000-0024-8937

Thanks dude...goal was definitely to make it progressively harder. You can actually run right through the first set of Thwomps...first one easily, second one you've gotta be paying attention, third one you need to take your time, then tried to make the ending just hard enough to be challenging without annoyingly frustrating or cheap by giving the player two options to complete it (hopefully you noticed that).

----

I really dislike "hidden surprises" since it seems like everyone is doing them. Ok, a hidden block that makes you fall into a pit right at the beginning of the level can make me laugh, but I really feel like you get more of a "holy shit" reaction when you can actually see a interesting challenge coming rather than a "ugh, screw this" feeling when you are hit with a cheap surprise.

----

Haven't had much time this week at all to sample levels but I'm gonna try a bunch of them in the last couple pages this weekend.
I did see the two paths and figured up top was probably the way to go, but I was already hauling ass and running underneath some of Bowsers flames by the time I realized it. I ended up just timing his jump and going underneath him.

I'm working on a re-creation level right now from another game. I won't spoil the surprise on what it is, but when its done I think it has the potential to be really cool. The crazy part about recreating something from another game though, is the scale. Really hard to adjust and account for that. The character in the original game doesn't jump as far as Mario, so I'm having to adjust the platforms wider apart which in turn means that I have to expand the entire level. But I think it's going to be cool in the end as long as I don't get frustrated and quit.

I'd appreciate any feedback on my levels.  Hope you enjoy them.

Can't Have Cake and Eat It, Too! - 726E-0000-0054-1F65 (Can you find all the hidden 1-ups?)
mariocake.jpg

What's in the Box? - D0A0-0000-004C-EE5E (Yes, it's a Se7en reference.)
box.jpg

Need More Tools! - D4BB-0000-0044-FD95
MME Wrestling - 5022-0000-0044-DA33

P.S. I know they're in my sig, but that doesn't show on mobile CAG.  The saved images on the last two aren't good representations of the stages, so I didn't include those.

Coming Soon: I'm working on a Pikmin themed level.  Hopefully it will be uploaded tonight.

Been doing a mix of creating and playing levels, more creating in the beginning as not to spoil my own creations.  I've uploaded a few courses, here are some of them to post:

Power-up Progression Labyrinth! (my first big creation)

3ED2-0000-004E-EFEF

No one's cleared this yet, I think it may be too complex, but not hard.  When this comes up under 100 Mario Challenge playthroughs, I think people just tend to skip it rather than play through it.

Haunted (my wife's first upload)

9660-0000-004E-CF42

She went for a more simple approach, nothing really fancy, but her course is more popular overall.

Go for the Touchdown!!

516D-0000-0056-06B5

Had fun with this one, made relatively quickly in comparison to others I've made.  Might of overdone it with the SFX, but not near as bad as others I've played...

I'll return the favor and play some of the uploaded courses on here, thanks for any feedback in advance!

My favorite ones I've made:

Mario Kart: Bowser's Castle!! B93F-0000-0048-81F1
We need your help, Star Fox!!! C40A-0000-003F-75C2

Challenging ones I've made:

Put Some Spring in Your Step! 9091-0000-001C-A1EC
My 1st Castle D76C-0000-0024-8937
Really enjoyed the Star Fox level, the bombs blowing up at the beginning was a great touch.

A couple I've made:

An Easier Way? 0E72-0000-005F-7995, medium difficulty
Follow That Shroom! DBF9-0000-003A-F42E, medium/ hard
Phanto! 3E8F-0000-001D-7EBF, hard
Good Help is Hard to Find, 62C6-0000-004D-CC23, very easy
My Daughter's 1st Castle, 7E37-0000-0044-3804, very easy

This is more of an artistic level, i think most gamers would appreciate this level. 

NINTENDO CONTROLLER EVOLUTION

COURSE ID: 95B9-0000-005F-D490

Went through and starred a bunch of courses.

Here's one I don't think I shared here. Propeller Hazaed: DD7F-0000-0051-54A1

It's beatable as-is, but if you know how to use the Propeller Suit it's a piece of cake.

I'd appreciate any feedback on my levels. Hope you enjoy them.

Can't Have Cake and Eat It, Too! - 726E-0000-0054-1F65 (Can you find all the hidden 1-ups?)
mariocake.jpg

box.jpg

P.S. I know they're in my sig, but that doesn't show on mobile CAG. The saved images on the last two aren't good representations of the stages, so I didn't include those.

Coming Soon: I'm working on a Pikmin themed level. Hopefully it will be uploaded tonight.

That first pit jump is a doozy. I would have liked more power ups than 1-ups (found 3). Thanks for the coin arrow as I love hidden areas. The leaf would be nicer to have when checking out the floor question marks.

I liked this level the most. I can see myself trying the fire beam area over and over to see what those question marks contain (hoping for a fire flower or star). BTW, what is with that mushroom that makes you tall and scrawny?

Interesting combination with the pirana plant and turtle. It does look like a work in progress. Do you plan to go back and add things to it? Took two tries since I stink at trampolines.

I-C ... what you were going for here. But I think it was way too easy when you can just jump over every thing. Taking over the elevator lifts would add to the challenge.

Never played Pikmin but I'll still check out the level.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of this game unless everyone makes a bad level all of a sudden.

Finally decided to make my own level and am just about finished with it. So far I've unlocked up to the underwater stage.

The skinny mushroom turns Mario into his tall skinny form which was originally a glitch that the developers grew fond of. Normally it appears at random but if you beat the Nintendo World Championship levels in the 10-Mario Challenge you can unlock it for Edit Mode.

Been doing a mix of creating and playing levels, more creating in the beginning as not to spoil my own creations. I've uploaded a few courses, here are some of them to post:

Power-up Progression Labyrinth! (my first big creation)

3ED2-0000-004E-EFEF

No one's cleared this yet, I think it may be too complex, but not hard. When this comes up under 100 Mario Challenge playthroughs, I think people just tend to skip it rather than play through it.

Haunted (my wife's first upload)

9660-0000-004E-CF42

She went for a more simple approach, nothing really fancy, but her course is more popular overall.

Go for the Touchdown!!

516D-0000-0056-06B5

Had fun with this one, made relatively quickly in comparison to others I've made. Might of overdone it with the SFX, but not near as bad as others I've played...

I'll return the favor and play some of the uploaded courses on here, thanks for any feedback in advance!
How long did it take to make that labyrinth? There's a lot of detail there.

BTW, I found a (intentional?) shortcut to victory.
When I was small, I was able to jump over the giant Thwomp and pass the other powerup courses.

I liked the haunted house too. It's so weird to see
Yoshi
in this and castle levels.

I think the effects were fine in the football level - the first sports related one I've seen so far.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. BTW, my Pikmin level did go live last night, I just hadn't shared it here yet. If you've never played one of the games before, the back-and-forth to the beginning aspect might not make sense to you. Just a heads up.

Pikmin: 3 Runs Before Sundown

18FC-0000-005E-671B

pik.jpg

Comments inside red below...

That first pit jump is a doozy. I would have liked more power ups than 1-ups (found 3). Thanks for the coin arrow as I love hidden areas. The leaf would be nicer to have when checking out the floor question marks.

There's a whole other hidden area apart from that one, and a few more smaller ones w/ 1-ups. They're the best I could think of as a reward instead of constantly giving power-ups. Figures it makes it more challenging. Same with utilizing enemies to open up ground ? boxes.

I liked this level the most. I can see myself trying the fire beam area over and over to see what those question marks contain (hoping for a fire flower or star). BTW, what is with that mushroom that makes you tall and scrawny?

That power up is completely random. I personally don't like it, but I've noticed it popup more often when you keep dying trying to jump over a large gap. Keep looking, there's more to be had.

Interesting combination with the pirana plant and turtle. It does look like a work in progress. Do you plan to go back and add things to it? Took two tries since I stink at trampolines.

Probably won't go back. As the title states, I was feeling pretty underwhelmed with the lack of tools.

I-C ... what you were going for here. But I think it was way too easy when you can just jump over every thing. Taking over the elevator lifts would add to the challenge.

Agreed, it could be more challenging. I've mulled over doing a new version of this, since it was the first course I made. I love wrestling and thought it would be a fun idea.

Never played Pikmin but I'll still check out the level.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of this game unless everyone makes a bad level all of a sudden.

Finally decided to make my own level and am just about finished with it. So far I've unlocked up to the underwater stage.

How long did it take to make that labyrinth? There's a lot of detail there.

BTW, I found a (intentional?) shortcut to victory.
When I was small, I was able to jump over the giant Thwomp and pass the other powerup courses.

I liked the haunted house too. It's so weird to see
Yoshi
in this and castle levels.

I think the effects were fine in the football level - the first sports related one I've seen so far.
Thanks for the feedback, yeah the Labyrinth one took some time, I kept coming back to it every day changing some things to it. I didn't spend as much time thinking through the potential sequence breaks, I may make a revision to it later to fix it.
I think a simple Hard Block will fix that path, though I forget if the Spiny Helmet (which is in there) can go through it. That is the intended way to go through the Thwomp section is with the Spiny Helmet.

Playing through the others on here when I have time, starring them as I go. It's nice to be able to play quality levels that took more than 10 minutes to make without much searching.

Finally got 50 medals so I made some more courses.

Mewtwo Strikes Back: 55A9-0000-0069-EDF0
Little tip for the Clone Factory area, just go.

Flutter Jump: 0942-0000-006B-F490
Use Yoshi's...Flutter Jump.

Inside Yoshi: CDFA-0000-006E-876C
Find out what happens when Yoshi eats stuff.

I liked your "Inside Yoshi" level the best, but I noticed you missed something:

Did you know you can eat flaming lava? Not only can you eat the ones that jump up, but you can also eat the flames from the turning flame waves as well. It won't change the size of the flame stick so it would be like unlimited ammo when you spit it out.

I actually did have fire bars in the level, but with the small space it was far too easy to lose Yoshi.

And technically, Yoshi spits them back out anyway, which is why I didn't include any Koopa Troopas or Spinies. Yea, you could say he spits out Dry Bones, but he only spits out 3 bones so I assume he swallowed the rest.

Somebody starred my water level even though I don't think it's very good :whistle2:

My biggest issue is getting the enemies to stay put! I put a bunch of squids in one part, and a star to help you blast through them (fun, right) but then they swim over to you before you even reach that area and it leaves just a blank space where they should have been.

The same thing happened when I put bowser on a regular level as kind of an "end of stage boss". He shoots fireballs at you way before you can even see him. But I'm still unlocking tools so maybe I'll get something to fix that later?

But I am proud of my most recent stage, if anyone wants to check it out:

Jump! E47B-000-0073-356B  (edit: remade this with a check point so the ID has changed. You can find it through my profile if you play one of my other stages like: Fun With Tracks DEF0-0000-007E-6228. I'll try to come back later and update with the new code!)

There's a bit of platforming. I tried to keep it easy and forgiving of mistakes, I think it's more fun that way.

I've been busy creating quite a few levels for this game. These are the best levels I've created so far, though I'm always planning more levels:

The Coins Are A Lie: 1085-0000-006C-65A2

Level based on Portal. Can you get through the test chambers while avoiding the lies GLaDOS is spreading through the coins?
You Better Have Burn Heal: D1C2-0000-0031-8FC6

It was supposed to be a very challenging castle level full of fire, but the pass rate is currently 33%, so I must have been overgenerous with the powerups.

Mount Annihilation: A404-0000-004C-5F28

Very challenging level based on the exterior and interior of a volcano. Expect fire to be everywhere. I seemed to go through a craze where I loved making fiery levels.

Fire Red and Aqua Blue: 9713-0000-0051-AA4B

Starts off in a water area full of fiery castle obstacles, then a castle area full of water obstacles.

Bought Super Mario Maker at launch, but am only just now posting some of the levels I've made.

Goomba says it's not a rave: 4B81-0000-0033-4C39

Grand Theft Cloud: Dinosaur Land: ADFD-0000-0054-5211

Lost Levels 9-4 Iwata Tribute: 21ED-0000-004D-15A4

*The last one is inspired by a few things:

1) World 9-4 of Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan) literally thanks you for playing through all of the :bs: it throws at you. The blocks spell, in Katakana, "ARIGATOU!" For my level, I expanded this to "ARIGATOU IWATA-SAN!"

2) The underwater physics in the original Super Mario Bros. were carried over from Balloon Fight. After being asked why the home version of Balloon Fight allowed for smoother movements, Mr. Iwata revealed to Toshihiro Nakago, who was then part of the SMB dev team, how he made the magic happen.

From the New Super Mario Bros. Wii Iwata Asks:

That's when I told Nakago-san everything I knew. One thing I recommended was that instead of calculating the character's position using integers, they should also calculate it using decimal points, thereby doubling the precision. In this way, calculating gravity, buoyancy, acceleration and deceleration all become more precise and the movements look smoother. That's the kind of thing I explained at the time.
Pretty cool, huh? For years after Super Mario Bros.' release, Mr. Iwata had no idea how helpful he truly was. However, some of the little things we do can end up being kind of a big deal to those we do them for.

:ds: :wii: :3ds: :wiiu: :D

There's no way to corral Bloopers or Bowsers. They'll go through or ignore most blocks.
Thank you for pity-starring my levels :razz: I played a few of yours as I'm slowly working my way through the ones posted in this thread. You guys as so creative! That Yoshi one must've taken forever!

I was reading the tips and tricks section of the menu and it was showing how to put down tracks for platforms to follow. (like how automated levels take you through the stage) And it mentioned that you could put enemies on the tracks as well. Do you think that would work for Bloopers/Bowser? I would test it but I don't have that option unlocked yet :headache:

--

Here's my latest creation:

Have Fun! B631-0000-0075-0E2C (edit: remade this with a check point so the ID has changed. You can find it through my profile if you play one of my other stages like: Fun With Tracks DEF0-0000-007E-6228. I'll try to come back later and update with the new code!)

It plays like a classic Mario level and it's a bit more challenging than my last one. I put a lot of time and detail into it so I hope you guys like it.

Tracks should help with Bloopers, but Bowser will still shoot fire.

Inside Yoshi didn't take too long since I had a clear idea what I wanted to do, but it had a lot of fine tuning.

Also, a Tips and tricks video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lbVqEAOoyP4

EDIT: Two other tips.

- If you hold a Beetle or Spiny Helmet in SMB3/World/U modes, crouch to put it on.

- In NSMB U mode, pressing the triggers in the air gives you a mini spin jump. It won't protect against enemies, but it extends your jump, especially with the Propeller Mushroom.

Tracks should help with Bloopers, but Bowser will still shoot fire.

Inside Yoshi didn't take too long since I had a clear idea what I wanted to do, but it had a lot of fine tuning.

Also, a Tips and tricks video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lbVqEAOoyP4

EDIT: Two other tips.

- If you hold a Beetle or Spiny Helmet in SMB3/World/U modes, crouch to put it on.

- In NSMB U mode, pressing the triggers in the air gives you a mini spin jump. It won't protect against enemies, but it extends your jump, especially with the Propeller Mushroom.
That was pretty cool. I knew about most of them, but I did not know that the little Wizard guy could make the flagpole disappear.

Gonna get to some of these levels you guys have posted hopefully really soon. I haven't had the chance to sit and play in a few days as I've been on the run alot lately and have only had time to squeeze in a few sessions with the Vita. I'm working on a couple levels still, then hope to play and star several of the ones here.

Here's my latest level. I spent more time on this than the others. Hopefully it shows:

"Pipeway to Heaven": C389-0000-0080-91BE

Do you guys play a stage until you finish it or do you tend to quit once you die? I noticed way more people have quit my stages than have completed them, and I tried to make them pretty easy.

When I play someone's stage there's usually a ton of hammer guys and bullet bills shooting at me from all angles, but I always try to stick it out till the end. Maybe my stages are too long?

---

Finally unlocking tracks helped me make this castle stage:

Fun With Tracks DEF0-0000-007E-6228

I'm going to be spending more time playing stages than making them. Hopefully that will unlock some idea-juices.

Case by case basis. If I have fun in a level, I will try again (within reason, I am not doing over a dozen attempts). If I hate the gimmick, then I quit sooner.

I just played one level where they had a horizontal spring fall on Mario immediately and send him over two pipes and into the abyss. So you had to jump as soon as the level loaded. And both pipes put you right in front of enemies. Didn't bother to finish that level

You really learn the difference between hard but good level design and troll levels after playing the Expert 100 Mario Challenge.  If the level starts out fair with a steady difficulty progression, I usually play it through until the end.

Also, I'm loving the Editor music remixed tracks, its my new favorite thing, SMW Airship Editor music in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQl0DZMDqPA

I was playing 100 Mario Mode on easy and there was an impossible stage I had to skip. That mode really is a mixed bag.

Here's my latest level. I spent more time on this than the others. Hopefully it shows:

"Pipeway to Heaven": C389-0000-0080-91BE
That was pretty fun! But the treadmill part was terrifying :lol:

I really liked your water stage too. Very flowy.

I've been busy creating quite a few levels for this game. These are the best levels I've created so far, though I'm always planning more levels:

The Coins Are A Lie: 1085-0000-006C-65A2

Level based on Portal. Can you get through the test chambers while avoiding the lies GLaDOS is spreading through the coins?
How were you able to change the settings so you get the Samus skin every time you get a mystery mushroom?

Finally uploaded my first level: 5278-0000-0084-D7ED

Aside from hidden coin and 1UP blocks (try to find all 7), I also added something you won't see in many courses:

alternate endings

How were you able to change the settings so you get the Samus skin every time you get a mystery mushroom?
When you place a Mystery Mushroom, tap it and the selection screen will appear. If it's an amiibo costume, you can also use that.

Two new levels.

Underground Fire Tower: 7BF8-0000-007A-F85B
Kinda just threw some things together.

Trust the Coins: 1F8C-0000-0093-103D
A pretty easy concept course.

Do you guys play a stage until you finish it or do you tend to quit once you die? I noticed way more people have quit my stages than have completed them, and I tried to make them pretty easy.

When I play someone's stage there's usually a ton of hammer guys and bullet bills shooting at me from all angles, but I always try to stick it out till the end. Maybe my stages are too long?
I noticed this with my stage too. The deaths appear at pipe zones which tells me they are running just to pass the level as fast as they can. Less than half the people who've played it actually finished the course. If people took their time, they wouldn't keep dying and they'd see all the stuff I added above the base floor too.

Case by case basis. If I have fun in a level, I will try again (within reason, I am not doing over a dozen attempts). If I hate the gimmick, then I quit sooner.

I just played one level where they had a horizontal spring fall on Mario immediately and send him over two pipes and into the abyss. So you had to jump as soon as the level loaded. And both pipes put you right in front of enemies. Didn't bother to finish that level
Still not a fan of the springs surrounding the flag post. Also played a level with hammer bros. surrounding a pipe ... which spawns hammer bros.

Trust the Coins: 1F8C-0000-0093-103D
A pretty easy concept course.
That level reminds me of another one I played recently:

17BA-0000-004D-0171

Listen To The Coins

Some more features unlocked so I can begin creating my second stage.

I usually give it a few lives. If I am generally challenged by good honest design and I know I want to beat it, I will stick through it. If the level is just enemy spam and precise jumps every 3 seconds I usually pass.

I don't mind the occasional enemy spam or hard jump but when that's your whole gimmick I don't finish.

Well, finally finished my 6th course. Family, work, and life really got in the way and slowed things down, but I finally finished my re-creation of Donkey Kong Jr. in Mario Maker. I'm guessing someone out there beat me to this by now, but I had really wanted to do DK Jr. In Mario Maker as soon as I heard about this game. It was icing on the cake to find out that Nintendo included an avatar for Jr. in the game.

0B20-0000-009D-11E7

Not going to set the world on fire or anything but I hope you guys like it. I had to get pretty imaginative in some parts so it was at times hard to keep things true to the original. The trickiest part was the scale - since Mario jumps so much further than Jr. did in his game, I had to rescale it and spread things out to compensate, especially the first two stages.

Finally uploaded my first level: 5278-0000-0084-D7ED

Aside from hidden coin and 1UP blocks (try to find all 7), I also added something you won't see in many courses:

alternate endings
Played and starred...I like that your level had multiple path options but wasn't so overwhelmingly difficult that I felt forced to choose only one. I died a couple of times messing around with Lakitu when I probably didn't need to, but I found more of the 1ups as a result of slowing down.

Ok, here are a couple of new ones I've uploaded semi recently:

Finding Nemo

26A1-0000-007A-0EAE

You can guess the theme here, tried to pull as much stuff as I could from the movie, really easy course.  Meant to be explored with the sub zones, not sure how many people are actually doing that though.

Re gurgitation Lev1tation Station

76EC-0000-00A5-E813

Another Yoshi swallow and spit themed level, started this one awhile ago, nothing spectacular really, just wanted to experiment a bit.

Drop Zone

C915-0000-00A9-3C39

A level divided into sections where you drop (some faster than others) from top to bottom.  I co-opted this one with my wife, each designing our own sections.

Played and starred...I like that your level had multiple path options but wasn't so overwhelmingly difficult that I felt forced to choose only one. I died a couple of times messing around with Lakitu when I probably didn't need to, but I found more of the 1ups as a result of slowing down.
Thanks. I did that on purpose so people wouldn't rush (hence the Lakitus) and try different ways to beat the level; the mystery mushrooms even have a purpose. Speaking of Lakitu, the first one is really easy to kill and if you ride his cloud (check out what's above the moving bar and the blocks), you'll see even more things I put into the level.

Created my second level which started as a daytime SMB1 level and evolved into a SMB3 level. See if you can find the hidden 1UP.

Koopa Troopa Tactics: B2B6-0000-00B4-322D

If you're stumped at the ending,
look for the hidden blocks.

Ok, here are a couple of new ones I've uploaded semi recently:

Finding Nemo

26A1-0000-007A-0EAE

You can guess the theme here, tried to pull as much stuff as I could from the movie, really easy course. Meant to be explored with the sub zones, not sure how many people are actually doing that though.
Nice to see a level that adds more fire flowers and doesn't keep repeating mushrooms. How long did it take to unlock warp zones?

I just played the expert 100 Mario Challenge again, and I hate to be a crybaby, but I think from this point on I may only play individual levels. I got incredibly frustrated this time around at the extremely poor level design that gets passed off as "hard". 

I consider hard to be world 8 in SMB3 or the rainbow/rocket path levels in some of the newer games. Those levels can be extremely difficult, but they are fair and well designed. Last night I was running into level after level of horrid design. Fast scrolling levels that require you to hit a hidden mystery block somewhere on the screen to advance, uninspired flat levels simply littered with Bowsers, Jrs, and big enemies, pipes that exit directly to pits without giving the player any opportunity to survive, thwomps that drop on you from off-screen, and troll levels in which people put direction arrows that lead you directly into pits or hazards not visible until you commit to falling or jumping.

I have been able to play and enjoy alot of really fun levels, and I think what everyone has posted here has been pretty great...I'm just venting in general. I have noticed that when I play the 100 Mario Challenge on intermediate, I run into better level design, even if it isn't as hard.  

Nice to see a level that adds more fire flowers and doesn't keep repeating mushrooms. How long did it take to unlock warp zones?
I think the sub zones (what they call them in SMM) are one of the last few things to unlock. Unlike the other tools there are no indicators that you even have it unlocked. Best way to test this is to lay down a pipe and drag Mario into it and see what happens.

I have been able to play and enjoy alot of really fun levels, and I think what everyone has posted here has been pretty great...I'm just venting in general. I have noticed that when I play the 100 Mario Challenge on intermediate, I run into better level design, even if it isn't as hard.
On the Expert 100 Mario Challenge, a good tool is to pause at the start of each level, which will show the level details in the upper left. If it has a good Star to Play ratio, then I'll keep playing to beat it. If its a relatively new level (say 0 Stars and 2-3 plays), there's a good chance its an easier level and makes for an easy clear.

I'll avoid even attempting those levels with bad Star to Play ratios (like 0-2 Stars to 50-100 plays), even if they seem fair enough at first. They can always pull out the troll near the end.

On the Expert 100 Mario Challenge, a good tool is to pause at the start of each level, which will show the level details in the upper left. If it has a good Star to Play ratio, then I'll keep playing to beat it. If its a relatively new level (say 0 Stars and 2-3 plays), there's a good chance its an easier level and makes for an easy clear.

I'll avoid even attempting those levels with bad Star to Play ratios (like 0-2 Stars to 50-100 plays), even if they seem fair enough at first. They can always pull out the troll near the end.
Thank you, I didn't even think about doing that. I like to give lots of levels a good fair chance, and I will hand out stars if I feel the effort or creativity were there, even if it isn't perfect. But lately, I've hit a bad streak.

On another note, anyone hear any DLC rumors? I think it would be great if we could get a few more tools and maybe a couple more templates as DLC in a couple months time. There's a few powerups, features, and beloved enemies missing that I think would sell really well as DLC.

On another note, anyone hear any DLC rumors? I think it would be great if we could get a few more tools and maybe a couple more templates as DLC in a couple months time. There's a few powerups, features, and beloved enemies missing that I think would sell really well as DLC.
I would expect some minor freebie DLC closer to Christmas to add incentive to the pot. While there are many (minor) things missing I could think of adding (avoiding obvious facts like SMB2, which may be hard to make in a universal template), a simple thing that would carry over well to all the templates would be the triangular block from SMW, it would be fun to make levels with that extra physics bending element. Plus you could properly emulate a Sonic loop-de-loop with those.

I also wouldn't hate if Blargg would make a comeback, Yoshi needs a warm hot meal. Hard to implement though since you can't freely place lava pits yet.

I would expect some minor freebie DLC closer to Christmas to add incentive to the pot. While there are many (minor) things missing I could think of adding (avoiding obvious facts like SMB2, which may be hard to make in a universal template), a simple thing that would carry over well to all the templates would be the triangular block from SMW, it would be fun to make levels with that extra physics bending element. Plus you could properly emulate a Sonic loop-de-loop with those.

I also wouldn't hate if Blargg would make a comeback, Yoshi needs a warm hot meal. Hard to implement though since you can't freely place lava pits yet.
I miss the penguin suit, and I feel like they could do the sprites for it pretty easily for the older games. Either that or have it become the frog suit when you play SMB3 template. The ice blocks are there, so we really need the suit.

I know we probably won't ever get the ability to draw slopes with the stylus, and I agree that in alot of ways that would probably make creation much harder and not user friendly, but it would also be nice if they had some pre-generated slopes or hills that we could simply expand or retract as needed. Again though, that would require including several more animations.

Or even if they had just the ice flower if they didn't want to go all out on the penguin suit, that would make for some Metroid type exploration / platforming levels that never was much hit upon in the main series.

Slopes would be easy to implement I would think, just make players shake the ground blocks to make them a triangle shape (a square dissected in the middle with one right angle), and then tap them again when they are laid down to change their rotation.

My guess is Nintendo has already thought of these kinds of things, just saving content for DLC packages down the road.  This kind of stuff would advertise themselves when players see new levels made with the new features and want access to create their own levels.

Do you think you will go back and put checkpoints on your old stages? I can think of a few of mine that would benefit from them.

bread's done
Back