Super Mario Maker discussion (update)The imaginary game that will get me to buy a WiiU - Super Mario Maker

Been having a blast with this game over the weekend, one of the first Day-1 purchases I've made in I don't know how long.  It really is one of the more definitive (if not the most definitive) Wii U game to come out yet.  Makes the best use of the gamepad so far and there really isn't anything quite like it on this or any previous Nintendo console.  Mario Paint is probably the closest, and I appreciate all of the nods the designers put in there to pay homage to it.

I've been making a few levels here and there, though my head is going through a more complex one I've been building up piece by piece when I have the time.  The problem is that this one is taking longer than I expected, so new tools are popping up as I go along, and it's having me rethink the earlier elements.  I guess that's not such a bad problem to have though.

I think one of the more welcome ideas in my household is the simplicity of making short, easy levels based around one particular element.  Whether it be fun levels with coins / power-ups abound, or making simple tutorial levels for my daughter, really add to the universal appeal.

I also enjoy the option to play "2-player mode" with my wife (one with the pad, one with the Wii U pro controller to play it during / after creation), discovering the tools as we go.

Yea, GameXplain has made a lot of really cool levels, including the aforementioned Super Meat Boy one.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oadqQ7J2Q4I

https://youtube.com/watch?v=axEZxTZJcso

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yXmiQgnBNn4
That meat boy one can fucking burn in hell. The other 2 were cool though.

had to go out of my way to pickup my preorder (preordered at a BB that had the SMM demo event, and the pin set promo was not communicated well so ended up preordering 2 games there).

anyway was just wondering how many prebuilt levels were there on disc and is there any challenegs/stat tracking?

PS

If anyone is in need of Classic 8bit mario amiibo, pm me!

anyway was just wondering how many prebuilt levels were there on disc and is there any challenegs/stat tracking?
There should be around 60 prebuilt levels, and most of them are shorter in length than standard 2D releases, that emphasize a particular design element.

Also, there is tracking for the 10 and 100 Mario challenges, as well as the overall course play from the community. You can also have updates sent to you when others play / rate your levels on your upload list. It's necessary to get star ratings from the community to be able to upload more than the default 10 course limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
No real "save" system right?  I have several nnids on the wii u so aside from maybe missing upates from friend X, I should be okay with going back and forth right?

Made my second level - an auto-scrolling dungeon level.

5FB4-0000-0039-9BB4   "Do or Donut"

There are two 1-up mushrooms and exactly 100 coins. Bonus Mario cred if you get all of them.

What a great thread. I'll be coming here a lot.

I've only uploaded three levels. Here's the one that isn't my first try, or the one my 6-year-old daughter dictated. Stayed up way too late making it. It isn't hard, but hopefully it's fun:

Loop-dee-coin Caverns: B1DB-0000-0034-8271
Played and starred this, along with a couple of other people who posted creations on this page. Lots of fun and good ideas.

My buddy was watching a stream and passed this code along to me ( he doesnt have a wii u).

Very neat level.  Pretty tricky as well, only 3 clears so far. Took me about 5 minutes to figure it out and a few more goes to survive / finish it.

4AEA-0000-0039-58DC

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.  I can't believe I bought a damn console essentially just for one game. 

...but outside of the timed unlocks, this game is SO good.

Anyway, how much can I expect to get if I sell that unopened Amiibo that came with the WalMart set? It's the 8-bit Mario red/blue version.

Since it's console bundle only right now, a lot. But most people believe it will be released separately like the Super Mario Mario amiibo was so if you're going to sell it, do it now. Somebody was able to get over $100 for it.

haven't opened the game yet, but I hope Nintendo has a tiein website where people can easily lookup top downloaded stages etc. 

I might have some time to play tonight and clear as many of the pre loaded stages.  or maybe smash bros.

It's called Miiverse. :p

Anyway, made two more courses.

Eat, Eat, Eat! - 7822-0000-003B-1001 (Rely on Yoshi. See if you can find the secret shortcut!)

Fly Carefully - FB3B-0000-003D-50EF (Evade Bowser's army with the Clown Car!)

Anybody else getting frustrated with SMM? I mean I know I've worked in game development before so I have an unfair advantage, and I know my levels still aren't exactly the gold standard, but holy hell there's tons and tons of shit for every half decent level. Obnoxious mazes, levels that play themselves, and runways that are nothing but stars and enemies raining from the sky. I was hoping the quality of UGC would be better than LBP2 since designing a functional Mario level is significantly easier but it feels like I keep getting crap from 10 year olds who can't even be asked to try. I know it's the first weekend but it doesn't bode well for the community..... I always bitched about Nintendo not including a level editor in the previous NSMB games but fuck I guess they showed me they knew what they were doing there lol.

On the other hand I'm told my levels are too hard which I don't get. I made a single shump that didn't turn out well but I found the rest to be pretty simple stuff. At worst I'd say they are about as difficult as the levels in SMB Worlds 6-8. I was never able to make it more than halfway through Lost Levels and I can beat my levels with no issue, I think people today just suck lol.

It's called Miiverse. :p

Anyway, made two more courses.

Eat, Eat, Eat! - 7822-0000-003B-1001 (Rely on Yoshi. See if you can find the secret shortcut!)

Fly Carefully - FB3B-0000-003D-50EF (Evade Bowser's army with the Clown Car!)
Let's not be a smartass, I'm sure he meant something akin to what Sony has done for LBP. It's pretty awesome; you can search for levels online or link to them from your site then log in and queue them up so they are waiting for you next time you start up the game. Obviously Nintendo sucks at online integration and this will never happen but I'd at least like to be able to pull up people from my friends list without opening miiverse, searching until I find a level code they posted, and typing in a ridiculous 16 digit string. WTF were they thinking? This is tedious enough now that everybody is playing SMM; imagine how hard finding a person will be a year from now when this game isn't everyone's top post.

Last edited:
[quote name="Gamer SDP" post="12920528" timestamp="1442332494"]haven't opened the game yet, but I hope Nintendo has a tiein website where people can easily lookup top downloaded stages etc.

I might have some time to play tonight and clear as many of the pre loaded stages. or maybe smash bros.[/quote]
That and a way to queue levels like LittleBigPlanet would be great.

It is obvious their online integration wasn't a priority. Maybe I'm missing it, but what is the point of having my friends list if I can't play their levels? I had to have my friend send a level code to me so I could add them to my favorites. Not even a way to search for users?

This is probably the closest thing to an online catalog of the SMM levels, but this is limited to readers of NL at the moment.

Anyone remember Blastworks for Wii?  Well, that had a simple online catalog, where you selected content to be downloaded (after registering and linking your console), which was put into a queue the next time you fired up the game.  

Of course this was done third party, but it was over 7 years ago now (and on the Wii of all things), figure there could be something similar for SMM, but we'll see...

I think a lot of the junk vs. quality issue would be somewhat alleviated by adding more filters to the search functionality. In addition to a rating filter, just basic content filters would be great. Some people hate the self-playing stuff, but some people are fascinated by it. Some people want to filter out underwater levels. Some people only want Mario 1 and 3 levels, etc.

Since it's console bundle only right now, a lot. But most people believe it will be released separately like the Super Mario Mario amiibo was so if you're going to sell it, do it now. Somebody was able to get over $100 for it.
Haha just as I saw this I saw the front page listing for it for 20 bucks imported. That's fine though, thanks. Assuming I can sell it to someone not as knowledgeable about deal hunting and get a little more than that.

This is probably the closest thing to an online catalog of the SMM levels, but this is limited to readers of NL at the moment.

Anyone remember Blastworks for Wii? Well, that had a simple online catalog, where you selected content to be downloaded (after registering and linking your console), which was put into a queue the next time you fired up the game.

Of course this was done third party, but it was over 7 years ago now (and on the Wii of all things), figure there could be something similar for SMM, but we'll see...
I never got around to Blastworks, that's very interesting info though. Perhaps there is hope after all.

Haha just as I saw this I saw the front page listing for it for 20 bucks imported. That's fine though, thanks. Assuming I can sell it to someone not as knowledgeable about deal hunting and get a little more than that.
The imports have been available for weeks. Doesn't mean people aren't paying huge bucks for domestic.

EDIT: Here is an auction for an NA one going over $50. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271982946584&alt=web

There's another for $65 BIN that has sold 3 of 4 already.

My latest and best one yet :DHorror House of Vines (7219-0000-003F-19CE)

Now that I'm done with that one I'm going to punch in some of the levels posted here.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there aren't many levels created around Super Mario World.  I love SMB1 but I'd like to see the other games get some recognition too.

I have yet to see a "self-playing" stage but it does sound pretty boring.

I'm also happy to see they allowed us to replay levels that we gave a star to (under "Starred Courses") in a matter of seconds. All you have to do is click on your Mii at the top left corner of the screen.  And if you click on the user name, all of the levels they created pop up. No need to go into Mii Verse as far as I can tell (that's only to read and post comments).

I'm playing this so much that I have to constantly charge the controller.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there aren't many levels created around Super Mario World. I love SMB1 but I'd like to see the other games get some recognition too.
Check out my post above. It's a Mario World ghost house theme. (7219-0000-003F-19CE)

I made a decent underwater level (I think someone here actually played it) but that's probably the only one of those that I'm going to make. I tried to make it interesting and non-linear but I just don't think the community takes as kindly to them. Thank you though, to whoever that was that played it! Gonna keep trying to play as many of ya'lls levels as possible.

I made a decent underwater level (I think someone here actually played it) but that's probably the only one of those that I'm going to make. I tried to make it interesting and non-linear but I just don't think the community takes as kindly to them. Thank you though, to whoever that was that played it! Gonna keep trying to play as many of ya'lls levels as possible.
The problem with the underwater levels is people just throw a bunch of Cheep Cheeps, Bloopers, Goombas, and Bullet Bill Launchers in there and call it a day. Combine that with slower control and that people rarely give Fire Flowers to kill enemies and it makes for boring, tedious levels.

I don't think I posted it here, but Andre from GameXplain made a stage based on Jolly Roger Bay from Mario 64. It's actually pretty fun.

Made a new course. This one re-uses an element from one of my previous courses.

B241-0000-0040-F9C0

I am now at my limit until I get more medals. :(

Made a new course. This one re-uses an element from one of my previous courses.

B241-0000-0040-F9C0

I am now at my limit until I get more medals. :(
I'll try to go in tonight and medal whatever levels you have that I haven't medaled yet....speaking of which, how many medals are required to increase the upload limit?

I've only uploaded 4 levels so far so I've got a few to go but it would be nice to know how many medals I'm going to have to acquire to keep going.

You get to upload 10 more levels each Medal you get.

Dunno what the max medals are, but you need 50 Stars to reach Level 2, 150 to reach Level 3, 300 to reach Level 4, and 500 to reach Level 5.

You get to upload 10 more levels each Medal you get.

Dunno what the max medals are, but you need 50 Medals to reach Level 2, 150 to reach Level 3, 300 to reach Level 4, and 500 to reach Level 5.
Oh ok, I had meant how many stars do you need to get another medal, oops. Thanks.

I have somewhere between 15-20 stars I think right now.

Oh ok, I had meant how many stars do you need to get another medal, oops. Thanks.

I have somewhere between 15-20 stars I think right now.
And...I didn't realize my typo. Yea, you need 50 stars to get Medal #2 and so on.

I made an Auto course that has a 40% clear rate. XD

EDIT: https://youtube.com/watch?v=JTO5YY0rAy8

an update to my Legend of Mario: Shroom Dungeon level. 

Realized that I didn't have a boss battle and that just seemed wrong, so...

055C-0000-0032-81BC

an update to my Legend of Mario: Shroom Dungeon level.

Realized that I didn't have a boss battle and that just seemed wrong, so...

055C-0000-0032-81BC
I tried it out after spending the last three hours building my own level. Saw that it was a maze and then I got stuck. I'll give it another shot in the next couple of days and try to beat it.

Ok guys here's my latest course...

9FC8-0000-0044-E899

"Jr's Houses of the Unholy"

I had a blast making this level. It was my first SMB3 level and first time using the warp doors. They are ridiculously fun to use and add such a great dynamic to the game. So cool to have these in here.

Does anyone know if course clear % is the actual percentage of clears out of all attempts?  by that I mean person A died 6 times before beating person X's course while person B beat it without dying. A and B were the only ones to try the course out.  so would X's course have 12.5% clear or 100% clear?

also guessing once a course is cleared by a certain nnid, any addition runs wouldn't affect the clear %.

Ok guys here's my latest course...

9FC8-0000-0044-E899

"Jr's Houses of the Unholy"

I had a blast making this level. It was my first SMB3 level and first time using the warp doors. They are ridiculously fun to use and add such a great dynamic to the game. So cool to have these in here.
Will do!

Here are a few of mine for folks to try. I think they're easy but the completion % tells me different. Would love some feedback / comments:

"Another Castle" 8287-0000-0040-2BA9

"Do the Wave" F41E-0000-003A-9C3F

"Loop-dee-coin Caverns" B1DB-0000-0034-8271

"Bouncy Plains" 18E0-0000-001A-6C2A

Does anyone know if course clear % is the actual percentage of clears out of all attempts? by that I mean person A died 6 times before beating person X's course while person B beat it without dying. A and B were the only ones to try the course out. so would X's course have 12.5% clear or 100% clear?

also guessing once a course is cleared by a certain nnid, any addition runs wouldn't affect the clear %.
The feet icon is the number of unique people that have tried the course. Attempts/Clears are the total number of lives lost vs. number of times the course was won - so 25% in your example (2/8). If I'm reading it right - A played 7 times in total before beating it, and B beat it first go. So a total of 8 attempts, with 2 successes.

I'm not entirely sure on your last question, but I would guess that it would still log and affect the clear %.

The feet icon is the number of unique people that have tried the course. Attempts/Clears are the total number of lives lost vs. number of times the course was won - so 25% in your example (2/8). If I'm reading it right - A played 7 times in total before beating it, and B beat it first go. So a total of 8 attempts, with 2 successes.

I'm not entirely sure on your last question, but I would guess that it would still log and affect the clear %.
wow math fail on me -_- not sure why I was thinking 3/8 the whole time.

the clear % then will be very low for most of the challeneging courses with susbtance then. enven simple courses can have lower than expected clear % if a little kid just decides to go out random courses.

if the feet count the amount of unqiue nnids that tried it, there should be some metric indicating the % of people that were able to clear

for my 2nd question, based on what you menioned the clear % probably does count a clear or fail even if the nnid already cleared.

I can certainly see people trying to artificially make their courses seem more challenging (and possibly in turn "better") in an attempt to be more popular. I read Nintendo deletes some courses if not "popular" Hopefully Nintendo has plans to address this.

OK, first Mario Maker level I've done that I feel OK about, so it's the first one I've uploaded. Somewhat hard but not stupidly impossible.

Castle Grayskull:

30D7-0000-0048-BE08

Will do!

Here are a few of mine for folks to try. I think they're easy but the completion % tells me different. Would love some feedback / comments:

Played and starred a couple tonight. Your underwater level was pretty cool.

OK, first Mario Maker level I've done that I feel OK about, so it's the first one I've uploaded. Somewhat hard but not stupidly impossible.

Castle Grayskull:

30D7-0000-0048-BE08
Holy shit I died alot, but finally beat it. That last set of thomps got me several times as I was just being too impatient. Pretty solid level.

I actually like how you allow the player to see the thwomps before they encounter them because I'm noticing in alot of people's levels they drop thwomps on you that you can't see and that's kinda shitty.

I actually like how you allow the player to see the thwomps before they encounter them because I'm noticing in alot of people's levels they drop thwomps on you that you can't see and that's kinda shitty.
Things like that (hidden thwomps) are pretty par for the course, unfortunately. I went through my play list tonight - I had played 101 levels, and had skipped around 10 of them for various reasons. I went back and completed them all just to say I had 100%'d what I had attempted, and man, there were some terrible levels.

Hidden Thwomps, Invisible blocks to stop your jumps (things you have to learn to avoid by dying once). Stages that do not have at least 1 Lakitu seem hard to come by as well - which results in both random deaths, and the ability to hijack and cheese a level in some cases. I spent 15 minutes running loops in a ghost house until I managed to strike a randomly placed invisible block that contained a vine. Severe overuse of springboards also makes me cringe. In a lot of cases, my motivation to finish a level is challenged more than my skills in controlling mario.

I do have a handful of really fun/neat/challenging levels on my list that I'll share here once I get a chance.

Despite my gripes, this is the most fun I've had with a game in some time. I need to fill my other 8 upload slots at some point.

Played and starred a couple tonight. Your underwater level was pretty cool.
Thanks! I haven't made it through Jr's Houses of the Unholy Keep yet, but it's got some really great stuff in it. The opening combo of boo and dry bones makes for a fun back and forth to set up the first jump.

Things like that (hidden thwomps) are pretty par for the course, unfortunately. I went through my play list tonight - I had played 101 levels, and had skipped around 10 of them for various reasons. I went back and completed them all just to say I had 100%'d what I had attempted, and man, there were some terrible levels.

Hidden Thwomps, Invisible blocks to stop your jumps (things you have to learn to avoid by dying once). Stages that do not have at least 1 Lakitu seem hard to come by as well - which results in both random deaths, and the ability to hijack and cheese a level in some cases. I spent 15 minutes running loops in a ghost house until I managed to strike a randomly placed invisible block that contained a vine. Severe overuse of springboards also makes me cringe. In a lot of cases, my motivation to finish a level is challenged more than my skills in controlling mario.

I do have a handful of really fun/neat/challenging levels on my list that I'll share here once I get a chance.

Despite my gripes, this is the most fun I've had with a game in some time. I need to fill my other 8 upload slots at some point.
I couldn't have said it better. Don't mean to sound like an elitist or some kind of hardcore critic, but things like those that you mentioned are what, in my opinion, really separate great levels from mediocre ones. I've only uploaded 5 levels, but I like to think I put an amount of care and attention into my creations that would get someone like Miyamoto to consider them as levels for an actual game...that's what I think about when building levels, whether or not the quality would be on par with an actual Mario game. And I base that not on creativity alone, but on how the player is going to perceive my level.

I know that alot of this game is about creativity, and that means people cutting loose and making whatever kind of ridiculous shit that they want. I can respect that to some degree, but like you said when the level begins to rely on learn-as-you-die tactics or a single hidden block in the middle of a full map, it is no longer fun nor does it feel challenging, it instead feels like you must rely on luck alone.

if the feet count the amount of unqiue nnids that tried it, there should be some metric indicating the % of people that were able to clear
Nintendo really screwed the pooch on this one, but you can do the math yourself. When you click to see who has played your course, everybody who completed it should have a red flag somewhere next to their name/picture. You can count those up if you really want to know.

Learned a valuable lesson last night when I showed my wife a level I made earlier in the week that I was quite proud of at the time, and almost immediately found myself in a spot where I was unable to continue. Oops. Looks like I will only be uploading levels I have made, set down, and returned to in a few days after I've forgotten "how to play" them.

I've been spending more time playing levels than creating, but I have creation ideas in my head once features are unlocked.

That being said, I noticed I don't like levels with trampolines, big jump after big jump, and auto scrolling. Now that I've played some "don't move" levels, I can say they suck. Yes you can animate well, but where's the fun if you don't perform any actions? You might as well watch Youtube for those levels. If it's during a small portion of the level, I can deal with that.

And I'd love to give it [without spamming the thread].

Another Castle:
Glad to see a poweup from the start, especially for the Hammer Bros. at the top. Also appreciate the second path with the Twomps. For Bowser at the end, I would add some more space to maneuver around him - especially if you don't have a fire flower at the end. Overall, I enjoyed it.

Do the Wave:
Another great use of the fireflower. Yes it's easier, but like the paths you can use it in different ways. I found myself shooting them on top of question marks and watching the ball bounce onto an incoming enemy. Is there a wave of coins to signify a path without getting hit? Only thing I would do is remove some spikes which make it harder to swim through when big. So far your SMB1 water level is the only one I've stared. Another good job.

Loop Dee Coin Caverns:
I actually played and stared this one earlier. You're one of the few people that adds coins in length to a level. On a second playthru I discovered the star area. Level was a little short, but that's more of a "I wanted to play it longer" feel than a criticism. Felt a little claustrophobic at times. Another good level.

Bouncy Plains:
The only level where I died the first time. Trampolines are not my friend but it was fun anyway. I like to explore blocks and questions marks so this was a nice change from the caverns level.

A few of my favorites that haven't been posted yet:

DCC2-0000-0021-89EE Cut Man Stage

2A74-0000-0020-D9ED Haunted House Stage

806C-0000-0020-DD1F Dungeon Stage

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to charge my controller.

Again.

bread's done
Back