Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gen. Discussion & Info

Ha ha, I'm trying out some seldom used characters (for me at least).
I kind of still want to play with items on. And David, I so got you with that fan! :lol:

Eh...I'm done playing w/ you for tonight maigoyume. What time zone are you in b/c nobody knows Canadian geography?

The lag is driving me insane. My fast falls, mortar slides, and glide tosses are all off! :bomb:

Let's play again when the lag is reasonable b/c I'm playing like crap right now.

Edit: Mad D, wanna play? You're from Nor Cal so that shouldn't be a problem.

[quote name='evergoo']Eh...I'm done playing w/ you for tonight maigoyume. What time zone are you in b/c nobody knows Canadian geography?

The lag is driving me insane. My fast falls, mortar slides, and glide tosses are all off! :bomb:

Let's play again when the lag is reasonable b/c I'm playing like crap right now.

Edit: Mad D, wanna play? You're from Nor Cal so that shouldn't be a problem.[/QUOTE]

BC is pacific.

Good games earlier dmunkey, I was really confused who I was playing that was beating me as Bowser. I couldn't remember who "RandL" was.

[quote name='evergoo']Eh...I'm done playing w/ you for tonight maigoyume. What time zone are you in b/c nobody knows Canadian geography?

[/quote]You didn't do bad all things considered. It didn't seem to be bad at all on my side, sure it was a little bumpy but overall not bad. Maybe you can try hosting next time.

West Coast, so I'm PST.

GG's to Marc and Joe. Joe you seemed a bit out of it today. Could be just my imagination though.

Edit: Your shiek managed to smoke my pikachu pretty good so don't count yourself out and most of those matches were quite close overall.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hero101']GG Foo, Jack, and Lurk. Everyone improved a lot. [/quote]

That's great to hear. Good games: lurk, dmnky, jack, and hero.

I'll be up for some within the hour (til 10est).

No idea. My connection seems perfectly fine, so I don't know if its yours or my connection.

Good games dyeknom. Gotta eat now!

Alright, goo, I'll get on.

edit: good games goo and dmkny

Hopefully the lag reduces by the end of the day (match with eliter)

To goo: Your diddy is alot more fun to face than your rob

Im done, I'm not going to sit around and chase you. I'm sure people who actually want to play Brawl and not some lame ass game of tag are around.

[quote name='Foo228']Alright, goo, I'll get on.

edit: good games goo and dmkny

Hopefully the lag reduces by the end of the day (match with eliter)

To goo: Your diddy is alot more fun to face than your rob[/QUOTE]

It was dyeknom, not dmunkee.

[quote name='dyeknom']Im done, I'm not going to sit around and chase you. I'm sure people who actually want to play Brawl and not some lame ass game of tag are around.[/QUOTE]

Dyeknom, you spammed a lot w/ Wolf's laser and Pikachu's thunder jolt. You ASKED for a game of tagging. I would approach you but it's not my fault you abuse that laser like no tomorrow. As you recall, I was forced to approach you as Diddy, but then I changed characters b/c I got tired of that laser.

Anyways, good games to both of you.

[quote name='evergoo']It was dyeknom, not dmunkee.

GGs to both of you. Dyeknom, you spam a lot w/ Wolf's laser and Pikachu's thunder jolt.

And before you guys say anything, I do camping and not spamming. :p[/quote]

Id rather spam a lot with thunder jolt and lasers than sit in a corner and camp or want to play a game of chase. Frankly, spamming is one of the only ways to get some lame ass camper out of his corner.

If I wanted to play campers, I'd go play a FPS. Plain and simple.

And in actuality. You spam grenades and rob's laser/gyros... so don't pretend camping is being mightier than thou... because it's the same thing. Spam lightningbolts until they get close then down smash. Spam lasers and gyros until they get close then down smash. No matter how you spin it, it's the same thing.

Dyeknom, you spam a lot w/ Wolf's laser and Pikachu's thunder jolt. You ASKED for a game of tagging. I would approach you but it's not my fault you abuse that laser like no tomorrow.
Actually, I started out with bowser and switched to those two after getting spammed to hell.... oh sorry... "camped." So no.. I wasn't asking for it, you started with it. Routine, run, rinse & repeat. That is tag at it's finest.

That's okay though. To each his own.

Well first off, you're taking it too personal. It never ends nicely when anyone is taking it too seriously.

Secondly, anybody who plays R.O.B., Snake, or Diddy knows that projectiles need to be aimed (angled lasers, shield dropped grenades + different throwing distances, soft + hard throwing bananas) and timed (when to release gyros, when to shield drop grenades, and timing aerial banana pickups) very well in order to succeed. You just stayed planted on the ground the whole time while shooting your projectiles.

Lastly, no playing style in Smash is fool-proof. There's always a way around it. This applies to every player and character.

Edit: I lost to Sean's MetaKnight yesterday (placed 2nd) playing with my usual Snake. He was never upset. He just found a way to break me. Also, DMK uses tornados like mad but I found a way to stop it. Like I said, no strategy is fool-proof.

Oh please, spare me the speech. I just said I'm done playing some lame ass game of tag, you then tried to justify it as being a response to how others play...

As far as "aiming" and "timing" ROBs projectiles or Snakes grenades... outside of the angled laser (which the majority of yours are not angled... but you do get some good angled ones in)... I just seriously hope you don't honestly believe that. Especially with Snake. That is like saying Pit's arrows take timing and aiming despite 90% of them are straight b spam.

And no, no play style is fool proof. Especially when it comes to routines...

[quote name='yukine']I hate when people complain about tactics that are completely legit.[/quote]
And I'm not complaining, I just said I'm finished playing a game of tag on a game called "Brawl"... and I'm certainly entitled to opinions about a game.

oookkkayy its getting a little heated
:argue:
:twoguns:

lol

Well Mario Kart is a little boring today
I'll be on for some matches in a few
I need to work my Fox, I seem to like him a lot better than Falco
My aerial game needs work, as does my actual timing between shielding/dodging

edit: I"m going to finish a circuit in MK real quick and Ill be on in like 10 mins

[quote name='Lurk']oookkkayy its getting a little heated
:argue:
:twoguns:

lol[/quote]

I agree, Lurk.

Dyeknom, go master Pit and spam me all day for all I care. I guarantee you that I will find a way around it with all my mains.

I also believe you're entirely wrong about Snake and R.O.B.'s projectile game involving little skill. There are threads entirely dedicated to Snake's grenades and R.O.B.'s Gyro/Laser metagame.

I'm not gonna say anymore remarks regarding this subject b/c this debate is just gonna escalate.

Look - let's be honest. There are legit tactics that are annoying as fuck to deal with.

Annoying is the best word.

There are also broken tactics. I'm not saying spamming or camping or endless projectiles are broken tactics, since I'm not up on the Brawl scene enough to know what is and what is not considered broken. I do know, for example, that an infinite Ice Climbers throw is broken. DMK is the guy to ask about all of this.

Both of these things said, the first can be negotiated, but it DOES take a good amount of skill AND requires that you can guess what your opponent will do. What makes this suck is that your opponent generally can do said tactics without fear that it won't work. I.e., throwing a ton of projectiles will probably work 99% of the time regardless of lag, player skill, etc. This is the old "button mashing" argument in new clothes.

I'll admit I get annoyed with camp/spam tactics, but it really only makes me want to learn how to defeat them, since I'm sure once you get past that barrier, you'll find someone who hasn't really practiced other aspects of a character's moveset, and then they'll fall apart. That's my personal theory, and is not meant to sound insulting. It's more of a "ok I got past your moat, you're fucked now" thing.

I also think certain tactics appear more annoying depending on circumstances. I.e., sitting on the outskirts of a FFA and throw projectiles all you want to weaken the others, and then doing hit-and-run tactics to take out whoever has the highest percentage. No one here would like a 3 man FFA Starcraft tourney where someone turtled the whole time and let the other two reduce each others' armies, and then went in with a dozen powerful ships to clean house.

But I can't stop people from doing it - I can only work to try and negotiate those tactics better and learn to beat them at their own game.

But come on - don't sit there and say they aren't annoying.

And the lag DOES NOT HELP the situation. Forget trying to practice using certain characters who might actually have a moveset that would work better against projectiles when they are ripe for dying easily online because of the lag (which basically means every heavy character).

Edit: Again, I'm probably the worst person to ask on this, since I still don't know all the lesser-known mechanics, such as "you can't roll past a banana peel on the ground." Which I personally think is ridiculous but oh well. There's a host of these tiny little elements that you can only learn by playing a lot - generally this can be thought of as the "priority" argument, where you learn what attacks trump who and how timing them precisely can win you any encounter.

But man! fuck the 'nana peels! Shit!

Dyeknom, marc has an established and recurring strategy, a lot of people don't like playing it so just play other people. Problem solved :)

fuckin' Dr. Meta Knight. Coudln't get past him at all. =( Although, I think I did beat him once with DK. That was weird.

Evergoo, your R.O.B may be a bit spammy, but the play skill totally overshadows it. Extremely fun games, and I hope to get to play you in person another time. Same with DMK.

Oh yeah, and for the record, my Lucario can beat Kuro's Lucario easily. I was doing that after the tournament when I was hanging out with him, actually.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']fuckin' Dr. Meta Knight. Coudln't get past him at all. =( Although, I think I did beat him once with DK. That was weird.
[/QUOTE]

When DMK was here months ago, I tried out a DK against his MK and it made for some close games. He said that DK is considered a counter.

Makes me want to learn DK a bit more.

Fo' serious? Man, and I was just dickin' around with DK during our games. I only remember some advice I got from a friend who mains DK. Space out your forward smashes, perfect guard into a fully charged Donkey Punch, and throw them into the bottom of the stage in Smashville. Shit works like a charm.

DK and Bowser both can be considered counters. DK with his Forward B + Donkey Punch, and Bowser with his powerful normal attacks and surprise Down B when used from a standing position.

If only they had better reaction time, 'cuz then they'd be really good.

After playing some games with DK, I'm almost considering using him more often. But I've got way too many characters I'm using already, and I'm trying to cut down. It's like double what I have in my sig, and then some.

Man, if it wasn't for the Donkey Punch having armor, it'd only be used for punching Peach in the back of the head.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Man, if it wasn't for the Donkey Punch having armor, it'd only be used for punching Peach in the back of the head.[/quote]

I like your style.

This is sort of out of the blue but...

Now that Brawl has been out for awhile and people's skills have been established, what is considered to be the best controller to use? Wired Gamecube controller?

[quote name='hero101']My anime disc is really scratched up it won't play in the ps2.

On the other note: who is up for some brawl?[/QUOTE]

I'll be up for some brawl at 7pm PDT after I finish eating.

After playing against Sky's Peach at the tourney, I wanna experiment with her. He raped me in the air. :whistle2:(

[quote name='evergoo']I'll be up for some brawl at 7pm PDT after I finish eating.

After playing against Sky's Peach at the tourney, I wanna experiment with her. He raped me in the air. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

Peach's dair, which can be done 3-4 times before her float stops, has some sick priority. You can land while doing it and do almost anything you want, since it has about zero landing lag.

[quote name='hero101']Marc, did I just pull that lightsaber out of peach's ass?[/QUOTE]

Lightsabers do come out, even a Bob-omb.

If only those pull outs came as often as D3's gordo. Sigh.

Anyways, GGs hero. My finger hurts from all those turnips.

GG AmigoOne and Marc. Those peach duels were fun. I thought you were treating peach like rob. Oh not another marc's spam character, this time it is a chick. :lol: I thought that Marc was a sexist and chose only male characters.

I never knew that samus could take on Diddy Kong. I have new respect for her cheezeness.

AmigoOne, nice Metaknight You got there.
So far, I have no way to counter those metaknight tactics. I will think of something. Once Metaknight is beneath you then you practically dead. I have no counter for sword spam moves.

[quote name='hero101']GG AmigoOne and Marc. Those peach duels were fun. I thought you were treating peach like rob.[/quote]

Peach's turnips have weaksauce distance compared to many other character's projectiles, even after using advanced techniques. She does have some nice tilts, though.

[quote name='hero101']I never knew that samus could take on Diddy Kong. I have new respect for her cheezeness.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind those homing missiles but that green missile hurts.

[quote name='evergoo']Peach's turnips have weaksauce distance compared to many other character's projectiles, even after using advanced techniques. She does have some nice tilts, though.

I don't mind those homing missiles but that green missile hurts.[/quote]

I can't be the only one who read that wrong.

[quote name='yukine']I can't be the only one who read that wrong.[/quote]
You're thinking of zombies. Next :cool:. Those Zombie heads are usually tilted and and pop right off with a good shot.

[quote name='dmunkee']I'm personally a fan of Wario's tilts.[/quote]
That guy on goozex beat me up with wario. Dmunkee, you keep reminding me to watch lucky star.

bread's done
Back