Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Doomed'] love the GC controller. It's like a "We're sorry" from Nintendo for that mutant N64 controller.[/quote]

Wow that is the very time I've ever heard that. Personally I'd take the 64 controller over the GC any day but I must be weird.

Never mind I know I am

[quote name='dallow']Wavebirds suck for Smash anyway.
Not all my movements register.[/quote]

People always bring this up, but I've never seen it firsthand. I always use a Wavebird too.

[quote name='CombatCraig']Wow that is the very time I've ever heard that. Personally I'd take the 64 controller over the GC any day but I must be weird.

Never mind I know I am[/QUOTE]

No way! I loved the 64 controller at the time, but I couldn't go back. I was one of the ones who really bought into the main idea behind the Cube controller: that most games have one primary button and secondary buttons should be easily accessible from that one. If you didn't buy into it, then I think it was hard to like the Cube controller.

You know, I hear the Wavebird lag issue a lot as well, but I've come to realize that the reason there's lag is because the battery life is almost dead.

Suckers.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Uhh, I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm not sifting through 260 pages of thread.

Has anyone read any impressions on how the VC controls work? I'd imagine them being the 2nd best option besides GC controllers. Unfortunately, having never owned a GC and wanting only Wavebirds (which cannot be found) I might be stuck with using the VC controller. Thing is, every single preview I've read, they ever only talk about using the sideways Wiimote or a GC controller.

I'd just like to know so I can prepare myself if necessary, to start hunting down Wavebirds like its my job, or if I can just sit back and pick up some VC controllers.

BTW: Pretty fuckin dumb of Nintendo to stop making Wavebirds, especially when Brawl is coming out, and especially when every single preview I read tells gamers to use a GC controller. Granted, I could find wired GC controllers, but who wants that?[/QUOTE]
I used the Classic Controller and Wiimote at E 4 All.

The Wiimote was unusable at best.

The CC gets some getting used to, moves aren't where you think they are and the buttons are kind of close. Its usable, but takes some getting used to, I personally didn't get used to it because my time with it was limited.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']You know, I hear the Wavebird lag issue a lot as well, but I've come to realize that the reason there's lag is because the battery life is almost dead.
[/QUOTE]
My theory--untested in a scientific sense, of course--is that it has something to do with simultaneously pushing many buttons. It does something to screw with the RF signal. Just a theory. For somebody with some technical know-how of the GC (not me) and the kind of personality to actually care about the Wavebird vs. Corded question, I think it'd be cool to write some code to load onto the GC somehow that would measure the performance/response of each controller to a series of tests.

I would be shocked if the difference in performance is negligible. I miss about 10 times as many mini-turbos when time trialing in MKDD with a Wavebird vs. when I time trial with a corded controller. And 10:1 is a conservative estimate. I rarely miss with a corded controller--it happens so little that I really take notice of missing an MT. Let's say it happens maybe once every 4 races. But when I've been forced to Wavebird (on family's Cubes or when I'm too lazy to plug in my sweet orange spice), I'll miss at least 3 MTs per lap. I understand that assessing things anecdotally involves some psychology, but the differences in those numbers are overwhelming. In my experience the controls do not respond similarly.

I wonder if I should pick up all the wired controllers I see in various stores around here and put'em on eBay in about a month.

[quote name='Strell']I wonder if I should pick up all the wired controllers I see in various stores around here and put'em on eBay in about a month.[/QUOTE]
The demand is there.

I bought all the Wavebirds I could find in my area (5) around x-mas and gave them as gifts to family. My folks are still GC fiends--a few have moved over to a Wii--and the Wavebirds were received with, "Wow, we've been looking for a new one!"

[quote name='Strell']I wonder if I should pick up all the wired controllers I see in various stores around here and put'em on eBay in about a month.[/QUOTE]

I always find the Platinums, but I never can find the black ones.

I only had 1 black one before, and my nephew (yes, my nephew, not a dog or a cat) CHEWED on the analog while he was playing. He was a little younger at the time, but he still was a little too old to be chewing on things.

[quote name='opportunity777']I always find the Platinums, but I never can find the black ones.

I only had one black one before, and my nephew (yes, my nephew, not a dog or a cat) CHEWED on the analog while he was playing. He was a little younger at the time, but he still was a little too old to be chewing on things.[/quote]
I know someone who was 10 and chewed on the C stick. I still don't understand it.

[quote name='dothog']My theory--untested in a scientific sense, of course--is that it has something to do with simultaneously pushing many buttons. It does something to screw with the RF signal. Just a theory. For somebody with some technical know-how of the GC (not me) and the kind of personality to actually care about the Wavebird vs. Corded question, I think it'd be cool to write some code to load onto the GC somehow that would measure the performance/response of each controller to a series of tests.

I would be shocked if the difference in performance is negligible. I miss about 10 times as many mini-turbos when time trialing in MKDD with a Wavebird vs. when I time trial with a corded controller. And 10:1 is a conservative estimate. I rarely miss with a corded controller--it happens so little that I really take notice of missing an MT. Let's say it happens maybe once every 4 races. But when I've been forced to Wavebird (on family's Cubes or when I'm too lazy to plug in my sweet orange spice), I'll miss at least 3 MTs per lap. I understand that assessing things anecdotally involves some psychology, but the differences in those numbers are overwhelming. In my experience the controls do not respond similarly.[/QUOTE]

It's a given that when using a RF frequency that there is going to be a slight lag time involved. Most people probably won't notice it except in games that require precise movement. It appears there are two different versions of the WaveBird however, one using the 900MHz band, and another using the 2400MHz band.

I imagine this will make Strell wince in pain at the thought of having to purchase more controllers, but I really wish they would release a new Wavebird using Bluetooth and include rumble. Nintendo would be guaranteed to improve their already vast collection of monies.

[quote name='opportunity777']
I pulled the GCN install base numbers from the Melee timeframe. These are going to be estimates, so rounding is appropriate.

From launch to Nov. 25, 2001, 475K GCN were sold in Japan.

These numbers are from you, so I'm not checking them:

358.5K Melee sold in the '4ish day' timespan. 820K Brawl sold in the '4ish day' timespan

5 million Wii install base in Japan.

16.4% of the install base owns Brawl. 75.5% of the install base owned Melee.

You can balance these numbers by pulling in other variables, such as, the availability of other titles. Melee was released only a couple of months after launch in Japan, so one could argue less competitors were in the GameCube market for people's hard-earned Yen. It's also possible the game is not as well-received for various reasons, that the population of gamers who enjoy and buy Smash games has a maximum limit (which it does, but we can only estimate using simulations) so sale % SHOULD stagnate, or the game would sell more efficiently in different regions.

Even still, Melee is much more successful and efficient sales-wise than the Wii. Actually, I read somewhere (I'm not looking it up) that some Nintendo employees felt SMG should have done better because the install base for the Wii is already larger than the GCN. It's also important to note (like you did) that it sold relatively well to SMG (which I THINK is one of the best selling Wii games). Maybe at this current time, 820K in the 'first week' is the best a Wii game is able to perform in Japan.
[/QUOTE]

Let's try to be realistic here. To sell Brawl to 75.5% of the 5.1 million Japanese Wii owners would mean selling 3.85 million copies in Japan in 4 days. No game sells like that, not even Square's. Heck, Halo 3 only sold 3.7 million copies worldwide its first week.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I imagine this will make Strell wince in pain at the thought of having to purchase more controllers, but I really wish they would release a new Wavebird using Bluetooth and include rumble. [/QUOTE]

Nope, 'cuz I'm patient enough to wait for a way to buy them at half price, as my large controller arsenal is more than adequate.

But they didn't do it for the Japanese launch, so I'm guessing it'll never happen for the American launch.

^ I would have to agree. I don't mind being "corded", it's not that much of a hassle, and I don't sit that far from the tv to require an extension or a wavebird. The rumble is a big plus as well. I'm sure a wavebird with rumble feature would weigh much more considerabley.

The exception to the Wavebird thing is if you're not really that good at Smash in the first place.
You wouldn't notice the subtle lag then.

[quote name='dallow']The exception to the Wavebird thing is if you're not really that good at Smash in the first place.
You wouldn't notice the subtle lag then.[/QUOTE]
Or if you're functionally retarded. You won't notice the lag then, either.

I'm kidding of course. Even a functional retard would notice that the thing on the screen isn't doing what I tell it to do.

[quote name='Doomed']I know someone who was 10 and chewed on the C stick. I still don't understand it.[/quote]
Hah. My rabbit did that on both of my controllers. The fucker.

[quote name='greyweather']Let's try to be realistic here. To sell Brawl to 75.5% of the 5.1 million Japanese Wii owners would mean selling 3.85 million copies in Japan in 4 days. No game sells like that, not even Square's. Heck, Halo 3 only sold 3.7 million copies worldwide its first week.[/QUOTE]

I addressed that in my last sentence. I think 800K is the best Brawl can do (if you look at comparables like SMG), but it does show the efficiency of Melee. I think the Nintendo employees who feel that 800K is not efficient enough for something like SMG (and maybe Brawl) are not looking at the whole picture.

[quote name='The Crotch']Hah. My rabbit did that on both of my controllers. The fucker.[/QUOTE]

My sister's rabbit did that to my GameCube power cord. I don't know how that little rodent didn't die... I hate that thing, and it knows it. I'm the only person it pays attention to...

Anyway, back to Brawl.

The dojo update was pretty sweet. It's nice to know we can switch to ZSS Samus mid-battle sans Smash Brawl. I wonder if all these little "tricks" are planned on being announced via the dojo?

this might be a crazy question but why isnt anyone considering using the wiimote? lol

im going to use my wired GC controllers since i dont wanna waste money for wireless

WOOHOO! I got to play Brawl today!

I went to a Melee tournament in Framingham MA, and on the way there, my friends informed me that there would be an imported Wii and Brawl available to play. We completely ditched the tournament and played Brawl all day. Let me tell you, it was fucking awesome.

We got an hour of footage that will be uploaded on to YouTube later tonight. Unfortunately, the only matches of me on tape are the ones with me dying first :???:. They're still pretty long though.

We also got some nice footage of PC Chris destroying, as usual.

I might just start a new thread if the mods have no objections. There are going to be quite a few videos.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']WOOHOO! I got to play Brawl today! [/quote]

Lucky...while we unprivileged individuals are forced to wait for another month! March 9: 3 times the charm :D

I got to play Brawl at a party tonight.

My best character was either Meta Knight or Sonic. But people got so frustrated with Sonic's final smash that the use of him was banned.

One thing that surprised me: I always assumed that the final smash balls would be rare (no more than one per match) but there were a ton (as many as 10 per match).

Anyway it was a lot of fun and really cool to get to play a whole month before release.

[quote name='Sockey']But people got so frustrated with Sonic's final smash that the use of him was banned. [/quote]

I thought people had been saying his FS wasn't very good? Was it banned because somebody was very good with it?

What about Pikachu? His FS is very similar. What did you think of it? (Assuming it was used/seen.)

[quote name='Sockey']My best character was either Meta Knight or Sonic. But people got so frustrated with Sonic's final smash that the use of him was banned.
[/quote]

Meta Knight was great for racking up damage, although I had a hard time actually killing anybody with him.

Sonic's final smash was terribly over powered. Seriously, it lasted WAY to long and was pretty much a one hit KO no matter what your damage was.

I liked the smash ball a lot, but I was at a tournament. So, naturally, I heard a lot of "OMG TURN ITUMS OFF GUYZ! ITUMS R GHEY! DEY REKWIRE NO SKILLZ!"

[quote name='Rig']I thought people had been saying his FS wasn't very good? Was it banned because somebody was very good with it?

What about Pikachu? His FS is very similar. What did you think of it? (Assuming it was used/seen.)[/QUOTE]

Nah, everybody could dominate with sonics final smash. As super sonic you fly around with pretty precise control and can kill people in one or two hits. Sofa King Cool seems to agree with me.

As for Pikachu his FS was pretty good (although I only saw it once) but it wasn't a problem since nobody really wanted to play as him.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Meta Knight was great for racking up damage, although I had a hard time actually killing anybody with him.

Sonic's final smash was terribly over powered. Seriously, it lasted WAY to long and was pretty much a one hit KO no matter what your damage was.

I liked the smash ball a lot, but I was at a tournament. So, naturally, I heard a lot of "OMG TURN ITUMS OFF GUYZ! ITUMS R GHEY! DEY REKWIRE NO SKILLZ!"[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was in a similar situation and didn't get to see any items aside from the Smash Balls and Assist Trophies.

Some other notes:

-Marth's final smash got really annoying. The player using him seemed to be really good at getting the smash balls. He would use 6-7 times a match.

-We played one match just for fun in which speed was maxed out and everybody was metal. It was insane. I thought it would just be like melee with the bunny ears item but instead simply flicking the stick to the right would take my character off the stage. Needless to say, that wasn't a lot of fun.

Its too early to tell for sure, but I think counterpicks are going to be more important this time.

I can see a Fire Emblem style triangle of A->B, B->C, C->A situation happening.

For instance, I hear Lucario is strong against Sonic, but otherwise, Lucario is kinda shitty. And I'm sure Sonic is strong against someone who is strong against Lucario.

I want Earthbound too. Is Mother 2 even available on Japan's VC yet? I figure they'd have all of these games up and ready for their newly interested customers who purchased brawl.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Sonic's final smash was terribly over powered. Seriously, it lasted WAY to long and was pretty much a one hit KO no matter what your damage was.
[/quote]

And thats why sonic is teh 1337!!! > mario XD

[quote name='jman619']It would be out today if it didn't get pushed back till march 9....[/quote]

Yeah, I keep saying that to my friends, to which they always respond "Oh my god, SHUT UP!" It's fun.

While I have it preordered with free overnight shipping, that's not fast enough. There better be some sort of midnight launch for this. I'd camp out a few hours early for this.

[quote name='Strell']It would have been out for over a year and a half if the original "launch with the Wii" date is considered.[/quote]

Yeah! And if they had stuck with their original "cave paint" design, well, we would have already had it and lost it.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']Yeah! And if they had stuck with their original "cave paint" design, well, we would have already had it and lost it. [/QUOTE]

I don't know what this means.

Thankfully, we have emoticons to express this emotion: :whistle2:s

Hey guys, quick question: Is the CC deal ongoing? I just walk into the store and preorder and get a free 10$ gift card when I pick the game up or was it just advertised for a certain week a month ago or something?

[quote name='Poolking99']Hey guys, quick question: Is the CC deal ongoing? I just walk into the store and preorder and get a free 10$ gift card when I pick the game up or was it just advertised for a certain week a month ago or something?[/quote]

i walked into mine and they didnt have the focking boxes to pre-order so i couldnt :(

How about someone change the topic title?

I hope to have this game on the 9th at Midnight, ready to DESTROY YOU ALL! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Less than half of that time is mine. I'm constantly having the locals over. I do most of my playing when they're not around.[/QUOTE]

You should, uh, let me get in on that.

I heard that you're going to be able to implement an "adult" version of the communication demands. I wonder what some good phrases would be?

bread's done
Back