Super Smash Bros. Brawl Site! Discussions Inside. Release Date: December 3, 2007

The only tricks that are going to need explaining are MINE, like "How in the fuck did he beat my Fox with his Ice Climbers?"

And I'll tell you how - PURE HARD HUGE fuckING BALLS, THAT'S HOW.

On a serious note, though... Kelley and I been playing with items turned off. Pretty much every match ends up with Sudden Death (unless someone is Bowser or Mewtwo), and I highly recommend it. We should play a few matches like that sometime. We tried playing with "VERY HIGH" pokeball-only and bat-only settings, but it wasn't the same. The pokeball matches are pretty spectacular, though there is no strategy or style to them - unless you're going with characters that can reflect stuff, and "steal" every other pokeball they throw.

Props on your Ice Climber skills nonetheless - I'll redeem Fox next time we go at it.

Damn, Brawl really does look much, MUCH better:
SSB-Link.jpg

SSB-Mario.jpg

So I ws browsing the site and stumpled across the list of musicians in the game and DEAR GOD is that a huge number. Nearly every person from every game I had ever loved the music in is present. Such as the guy behing The Wild Arm Soundtracks, which makes the series 10x better with his music alone.

Looking through the list, there's some interesting talent aboard, such as the guy behind the DMC music. Maybe Dante pops up? Sadly, nothing hinting at Sonic being in the game, not even Crush 40 (or whatever the rock band that does music for the 3D sonic games is called).

Seriously - I believe we're at the point of diminishing returns. Where does the push for realism ruin the artistic vision of these characters? (More concerned about Mario...)

-Dr. Ugly

Diminishing returns?

Smoother, faster, prettier animation, better colors, more detail, and more precise things somehow don't excite you as much? I doubt the returns towards improving the gameplay where graphics and speed are concerned for an action packed game could ever be "diminishing."

Having said that, in some screenshots, Mario looks like a human being wearing a giant Mario Head. But then I blink, and it goes away. Now that I said that, I've cursed you all forever. Spread the virus.

Actually, yes. Melee on the left there is more than enough for me. If Brawl ends up being more fun than Melee, or even on par with it, it wont be because of the graphics

[quote name='MarioColbert']
Having said that, in some screenshots, Mario looks like a human being wearing a giant Mario Head. But then I blink, and it goes away. Now that I said that, I've cursed you all forever. Spread the virus.[/quote]

... That is what I am concerned about

-Dr. Ugly

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Actually, yes. Melee on the left there is more than enough for me. If Brawl ends up being more fun than Melee, or even on par with it, it wont be because of the graphics[/quote]

Out of sincere respect to you, Dr. Mario Kart, I won't say that _you_ would be saying this, but I'm quite certain had the graphics resembled GameCube version more, we'd hear bitching about how the graphics are "just not Next-Gen."

After reading StarCraft II Announcement forum, with at least a quarter of replies being bitch-ass whining about how it's not an MMORPG or Diablo 3, or not a Diablo MMORPG, I will say that you (plural you, NOT Dr. Mario Kart) want to find something to bitch about. I never thought that such level of pessimistic nihilism was possible, but the internet proves to me that EMO is the new "COOL."

Screw you all, the game looks awesome and I'm psyched. :]
(I kid. Don't screw you all... I like you guys.)

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Actually, yes. Melee on the left there is more than enough for me. If Brawl ends up being more fun than Melee, or even on par with it, it wont be because of the graphics[/quote]
...What?

Don't expect characters everyday. They have a ton of pages to fill and if they're doing two updates (or one) every weekday, it will be a bit til we get stuff that hasn't been in trailers.

[quote name='MarioColbert']On a serious note, though... Kelley and I been playing with items turned off. Pretty much every match ends up with Sudden Death (unless someone is Bowser or Mewtwo), and I highly recommend it. We should play a few matches like that sometime. We tried playing with "VERY HIGH" pokeball-only and bat-only settings, but it wasn't the same. The pokeball matches are pretty spectacular, though there is no strategy or style to them - unless you're going with characters that can reflect stuff, and "steal" every other pokeball they throw.

Props on your Ice Climber skills nonetheless - I'll redeem Fox next time we go at it.[/quote]

Items off is the only way to play.

Melee was pretty early in the Gamecube lifespan. I think if there was another game developed late in the Gamecube's lifespan, it would be closer to Brawl than Melee.

The Wii is not in a position to do anything that would convince the people that complain about it not being next-gen otherwise, so its not really a relevant issue.

[quote name='2Fast']Items off is the only way to play.[/QUOTE]

That's like saying the only way to play Goldeneye is with one hit kills mode.

No. Items make it a lot of fun. Just like playing it without items.

Don't make me kick your brainy ass.

Fer real. Items are such an extensively-developed facet of the game, it is foolish to ignore their importance in the game. This isn't to say that playing without items is stupid or isn't fun, because it is and it is a truer test of combat skills. However, the items are entirely useful, entirely strategic, and they offer a sprinkle of chance that make the game unpredictable and act as a sort of handicap that ultimately means anyone can win.

Really, there aren't any items in Melee that I think are worthless or unfair, but the item that comes closest to that sentiment is the Invisibility pick up. I can't keep track of myself at all with it, none of my friends can when they pick it up, and the AI knows where you are regardless! Sheesh.

Also, Kirby is the man in Melee.

And I wonder what kind of new combat mechanics will be added? In Melee, they added an alternate shield function, the air dodge (I think), charged smash attacks, and the -> + B attack. What else could be done? Maybe an improved grapple system?

[quote name='The Crotch']1: Items, while fun, are always off in tournaments. I myself disable most of them whenever I play.

2: Kirby got nerfed brutally for Melee.[/quote]

I know, I know, as I entered a tourney with Kirby. Got to the third tier =)

[quote name='Strell']That's like saying the only way to play Goldeneye is with one hit kills mode.

No. Items make it a lot of fun. Just like playing it without items.

Don't make me kick your brainy ass.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, playing with items is fun, but for some reason the matches seem less competitive.

Whenever I get a bunch of people together to play, we generally play with items off until the competitive juices (and the 1v1s) start winding down, and then we throw on items just to have a little fun.

Anyway, I have a confession to make...I play as Donkey Kong :oops:

[quote name='The Crotch']1: Items, while fun, are always off in tournaments. I myself disable most of them whenever I play.

2: Kirby got nerfed brutally for Melee.[/quote]
I may be wrong as I missed the chance to enter, but I believe in Otakon's SSBM tourney, items were on. There were only some items turned off, such as hammer, pokeball.

I prefer to play with items most of the time. My friends and I only turn items off after we've played 20 matches in a row. That's also when the nothing-but-pokeball matches start.

[quote name='2Fast']
Anyway, I have a confession to make...I play as Donkey Kong :oops:[/QUOTE]

My friends and I have this joke where if we are doing matches where we pick random characters, "you can't ignore the double Donkey Kong." If two of us happen to get the dubba-DK, it has to happen. You gotsta be down with the dubba Donkey Kong.

There is no question to this infallible, eternal rule.

[quote name='MarioColbert']I bet $5: no more than ONE more 3rd party character apart from Snake.

You have to accept the bet to be eligible for $5. You also have to accept it BEFORE the announcement of the characters. (It's not fun to bet on yesterday's news.) If I think you're an asshole, I won't accept the bet out of sheer principle, like if you're that dude who thinks all Nintendo shit is "kiddie" and all Nintendo fans are stupid. Yes, I know you're entitled to your bullshit opinion, but I'm entitled to mine, which mostly revolves around the fact that you are a manberries enthusiast.. The person willing to bet must have PayPal or have means to accept Credit Cards (Visa or Discover) to be eligible to recieve payment on the bet. If you accept, no take-backs are allowed.

I'm quite happy they have an RSS feed. I Google Reader-ed it up, so now I don't even have to wait for it to update, I'll be alerted the moment it is done. I love the internet, because it constantly invents new ways for me to do as little as possible while doing something that is pretty fucking lazy to begin with.[/QUOTE]

You're on, buddy.

[quote name='The Crotch']1: Items, while fun, are always off in tournaments. I myself disable most of them whenever I play.[/quote]
This annoys me to no end, and goes against the standards used for ANY OTHER FIGHTING GAME TOURNAMENT.

When holding tournaments, it's most common to see the game being played on the default settings. As long as something can be done/used by both players equally (ie: in SFA3 player 1 can do a few infinites that player 2 cannot, so those particular things are deemed unfair), then it's fair game.

Once you start banning stuff, things start getting lame. That's like saying no infinites, or no throwing, or you can only use a certain move so many times.

It adds a qualifier to your skill in whatever game it's in. "I'm good at Street Fighter, but only if my opponent doesn't throw a lot." "I'm good at Marvel vs. Capcom, but only if my opponent doesn't trap me in the corner." "I'm good at SSBM, but only if items are turned off."

Play the game as it was originally intended to be played, with the default settings. I can't believe SSBM tourneys are run the way they are.

The problem with items (yes, as much as I hate saying this) is that they can be too random, and give a player an absolute edge simply for being lucky.

Case in point - Warcraft III. If your opponent kills creeps and gets a ressurection potion for his hero, that's WAY better than if you get a town portal scroll.

Me and MarioColbert play quite a bit, and there are times where I get SUPER pissed at what happens. Examples include him getting 3 Starmans throughout the match, or a bomb blowing me the hell up out of nowhere as I'm charging up an attack (I'm talking about the ones that materialize out of thin air that you end up not being able to avoid, not the ones walking around), or every hammer you get has the top fall off, etc.

So I can understand the justification to turn it off during a tournament setting.

However, I disagree with it for the reasons you stated. Primarily because all things considered, the better player is most likely still going to win, even if items are active in a game.

It's just that inevitably you might have a weak player getting legendary Pokemon with every Pokeball, while the better player gets no one but Goldeen.

Still. It's items, people. They are fun as well. And contrary to the reasons above, there is some serious strategy that is forgone when you choose to not use them. Catching items, reflecting items, knowing when to attack vs waiting out certain items, evasion tactics, timing throws so that you add that extra insult to someone who CAN'T get back on the platform, but you wanted to smack 'em with a timely bomb anyway....

Ultimate point is that with items, there's still strategy. That's the argument I've always heard that makes me mad - "There's no strategy with items! It's all luck!" That is total bullshit.

The logic is quite simple: To isolate the variable that is player skill, certain things can get in the way. None of those traditional fighting games can randomly spawn an item above your head that will automatically win you the match.

The game isnt MEANT to be played in any particular way. No other game has this many options or different ways to play.

[quote name='Strell']Me and MarioColbert play quite a bit, and there are times where I get SUPER pissed at what happens. Examples include him getting 3 Starmans throughout the match, or a bomb blowing me the hell up out of nowhere as I'm charging up an attack (I'm talking about the ones that materialize out of thin air that you end up not being able to avoid, not the ones walking around), or every hammer you get has the top fall off, etc.
[/quote]

I think that during all of my history of playing, only my current roommate is as cutthroat about items as I am. Sterll, you barely go after them, or at least you don't freak out the way I do. K-dog and I have once battled over a Pokeball, trying to foil each other's obtaining thereof until it literally dissapeared on its own. (It was on the massive Legend of Zelda stage, and it didn't take it long to dissapear, but it was still one of the greatest moments in SSBM history as far as I'm concerned.)

For that reason, I believe that items are ever so more interesting in hands of two players who are willing to fight over a little pink canister. Once one gets the item, he really deserves it, and then it becomes a whole new ballpart about whether you can steal it, or trick your opponent into throwing the item off the stage.

_Nothing_ is more fascinating than having Shiek throw a Pokeball at you when you're Luigi, you catch it, and smack down Shiek to reveal Porygon to yourself, and is the last thing that Shiek will see.

_Nothing_ is more fun than jumping up INTO the way of a fully charged gun projectile with Dr. Mario and going "CAPE."

_Nothing_ makes me more proud than jumping cleverly so as to intersect the trajectory of a Poke ball thrown upward with Fox or Falco while going Down+B.

If you haven't played with items, you haven't gotten good with items. And if you haven't gotten good with items, I'm gunna kick your ass.

P.S. I had to fight for all the Starmen that I've gotten that match with Strell. He makes it sound like the game was being a whore, throwing it's very special starmen at me. Hell no. I had to go out there and conquer that shit.

P.P.S. If you're in TX, maybe we should play sometime.

[quote name='2Fast']Anyway, I have a confession to make...I play as Donkey Kong :oops:[/quote]

Holy sht! How good are you? If you're bad-ass with DK, I wanna take lessons. The only characters that I can not play with competitively are:
Mewtwo
DK
Bowser

If you live in TX, maybe you can show off your DK skills. Also, anyone who can use PK Cross competitively, write a fuck guide, because I simply don't get it. And really, anyone can beat ass with Shiek, Roy, and Fox (well, not me with Fox, apparently, because Strell's Ice Climbers wiped the floor with my Fox). I'd love to see someone going balls out with Bowser or Mewtwo.

I think the all-time cheapest character is Peach by a long shot. Her down smash is like Wu-Tang, and I mean "nothign to fuck with." Kirby can't hang with that.

[quote name='MarioColbert']
After reading StarCraft II Announcement forum, with at least a quarter of replies being bitch-ass whining about how it's not an MMORPG or Diablo 3, or not a Diablo MMORPG, I will say that you (plural you, NOT Dr. Mario Kart) want to find something to bitch about. I never thought that such level of pessimistic nihilism was possible, but the internet proves to me that EMO is the new "COOL."
[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly. Everytime a new game sprouts up that's even a little hyped up, there's a bunch of jack asses popping putting the game down.

[quote name='MarioColbert'] PK Cross [/quote]
What's PK Cross? There's Fire, Thunder, Flash and the made-up "Cannonball." I've never heard of cross. And, I play Ness almost exclusively (soon to be Pit and Ness, I hope).

[quote name='Strell']
Still. It's items, people. They are fun as well. And contrary to the reasons above, there is some serious strategy that is forgone when you choose to not use them. Catching items, reflecting items, knowing when to attack vs waiting out certain items, evasion tactics, timing throws so that you add that extra insult to someone who CAN'T get back on the platform, but you wanted to smack 'em with a timely bomb anyway....
[/QUOTE]

Oh man, now you're bringing back good old memories. My aim is usually as shitty as can be, but I've been known to pull off some insane acts of bomb throwing. Including one bit where I ran, jumped off an edge and caught not one, but TWO seperate people as they were coming back. Yeah I lost a life and the match, but the uproar that move caused was worth it alone.

Wish I still had friends that were interested in SSBM. Most of my buds from High School quit playing games altogether, while most of the tweens I know now are more concerned with Naruto: Clash of Ninja 2:puke:

[quote name='ChibiJosh']What's PK Cross? There's Fire, Thunder, Flash and the made-up "Cannonball." I've never heard of cross. And, I play Ness almost exclusively (soon to be Pit and Ness, I hope).[/QUOTE]

I think it's one of the attacks you named. I remember Ness blurting it out over and over.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I just listened to the remixed SSBB title theme, and it was amazing. I can't wait to hear more music from the game.[/QUOTE]

Same here, especially the tracks from the guy behind (the music of) Wild Arms, DMC, MGS:pO / MGS4

[quote name='MarioColbert']Holy sht! How good are you? If you're bad-ass with DK, I wanna take lessons. The only characters that I can not play with competitively are:
Mewtwo
DK
Bowser

If you live in TX, maybe you can show off your DK skills.[/quote]

I can hold my own with DK (especially in a team game or when many are still alive), although when it gets down to 1v1 I have problems. My foils are definitely a good Link or Jigglypuff, but generally I do fairly well.

DK is obviously all about the punch, but his bread and butter is really the spin.

I'm not sure if you left Pichu off that list or not, but if you can use it then you do not need lessons in anything from yours truly.

[quote name='Strell']Ultimate point is that with items, there's still strategy. That's the argument I've always heard that makes me mad - "There's no strategy with items! It's all luck!" That is total bullshit.[/quote]

This is correct. I think I and everyone I play with turn them off because someone always cries foul about them. However, there is definitely strategy with items.

[quote name='willardhaven']I play as Peach, Fox, Mario, Falco, Samus, Mewtwo, Young Link and Gannon.

Samus, Peach and Young Link are by far my favorites.[/QUOTE]

My absolutely best (in order of worst to greatest):
Gannon, Link, Young Link (yes, I know Link is supposed to be superior, and that for a speed char, he gets raped by Fox / Falco, but He's still the best char I got.

People I play with, but suck at (in any order):
Mewtwo, Bowser, Ness (I used to be so badass with him in the original SSB, but somehow lost my touch in the transition).

[quote name='2Fast']This is correct. I think I and everyone I play with turn them off because someone always cries foul about them. However, there is definitely strategy with items.[/QUOTE]

There was a golden rule when we played, if I was playing: keep bombs off. With them off I suck pretty badly, with them on I become some sort of Bomb-sniper. I would throw a bomb, and not even goid himself could save you from imminent destruction.

I exclusively use Pikachu.

Ness and Kirby are kinda fun.

Funny that the characters I use most are pretty low on the tiers.

"Gooey Bomb" is up. Sounds fun.

[quote name='Strell']Those jerks. Making an item out of a patented sex move I used on your mom.[/quote]

so do you get the royalties, or does my mom?

Gooey bomb sounds fun, could make some great hot potato moments as you try to frantically stick it to someone else before it goes off.

Maybe it's a new bomb type coming up in MP3.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']What's PK Cross? There's Fire, Thunder, Flash and the made-up "Cannonball." I've never heard of cross. And, I play Ness almost exclusively (soon to be Pit and Ness, I hope).[/quote]i think he means the PK crush? ness's neutral B move, the one with the green flashy ball of doom

[quote name='Kaijufan']I just listened to the remixed SSBB title theme, and it was amazing. I can't wait to hear more music from the game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm really glad that they brought some extremely talented composers on board for this game. The music is one area where a lot of games get shafted, but it looks like that won't be the case here.

[quote name='evilmax17']This annoys me to no end, and goes against the standards used for ANY OTHER FIGHTING GAME TOURNAMENT.

When holding tournaments, it's most common to see the game being played on the default settings. As long as something can be done/used by both players equally (ie: in SFA3 player 1 can do a few infinites that player 2 cannot, so those particular things are deemed unfair), then it's fair game.

Once you start banning stuff, things start getting lame. That's like saying no infinites, or no throwing, or you can only use a certain move so many times.

It adds a qualifier to your skill in whatever game it's in. "I'm good at Street Fighter, but only if my opponent doesn't throw a lot." "I'm good at Marvel vs. Capcom, but only if my opponent doesn't trap me in the corner." "I'm good at SSBM, but only if items are turned off."

Play the game as it was originally intended to be played, with the default settings. I can't believe SSBM tourneys are run the way they are.[/QUOTE]

I'm also surprised that they turn items off... Is it just the dinky arcade sponsored tournaments, or is even EVO subject to this?

Something that annoys me is that so far, every stage they've shown is the same 3-platform dealy, except with a different background. I hope we get some more variety with the stages..

bread's done
Back