Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Hangover 3 seems to be getting some bad reviews. I was looking forward to it, but it seems like the direction for this one was a little different from the first two.

[quote name='Clak']Hangover 3 seems to be getting some bad reviews. I was looking forward to it, but it seems like the direction for this one was a little different from the first two.[/QUOTE]

I thought a different direction was a good thing. Seems to not matter.

[quote name='Clak']Hangover 3 seems to be getting some bad reviews. I was looking forward to it, but it seems like the direction for this one was a little different from the first two.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll still be seeing it though at some point.

ktIb5HH.png

WatchedA Haunted House the other day which looked funny when compared to the Scary Movie 5 Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J50vA5VLR6k

Since I loved the original Scary Movie I thought I'd give A Haunted House a try. Oddly enough Marlon Wayans has matured a bit and the movie is better off for it. A Wayans parody movie has always been compelling to me and this one more so. Scary Movie was a very well done modern Parody movie in my opinion. It was just really funny really poked fun but the sequels ruined the pattern. This one is less a stream of jokes like Scary Movie or White Chicks but felt more serious to me and yet no less funny. Essence I never really thought of as a comedian but she brings a fair share of the laughs. I just really enjoyed it and was very much pleasantly surprised. I'm hesitantly excited for the sequel on my birthday next year.

[quote name='Wolfkin']
ktIb5HH.png

WatchedA Haunted House the other day which looked funny when compared to the Scary Movie 5 Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J50vA5VLR6k

Since I loved the original Scary Movie I thought I'd give A Haunted House a try. Oddly enough Marlon Wayans has matured a bit and the movie is better off for it. A Wayans parody movie has always been compelling to me and this one more so. Scary Movie was a very well done modern Parody movie in my opinion. It was just really funny really poked fun but the sequels ruined the pattern. This one is less a stream of jokes like Scary Movie or White Chicks but felt more serious to me and yet no less funny. Essence I never really thought of as a comedian but she brings a fair share of the laughs. I just really enjoyed it and was very much pleasantly surprised. I'm hesitantly excited for the sequel on my birthday next year.[/QUOTE]

The first Scary Movie is great, the last good parody movie. (Although Cheri Oteri's scenes are cringe-worthy.)

The studio ruined the first sequel, basically forced the Wayan's into a deadline. And that movie is an absolute disgrace. Then they weren't in charge anymore.

I know I'm very late on this one but I finally saw it.

There Will Be Blood

I understand why it's one of the most praised movies of the 00s.

Dredd.

Meh. I liked it better when it was called The Raid: Redemption. Though I think that was made later, so if any thing it ripped Dredd off. Still liked the action, characters etc. much better in that one.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Dredd.

Meh. I liked it better when it was called The Raid: Redemption. Though I think that was made later, so if any thing it ripped Dredd off. Still liked the action, characters etc. much better in that one.[/QUOTE]

I generally would like to think that similar idea's for films can be mere coincidences, especially in the case of these films. Both were good and different enough to avoid many comparison's in my book at least.

Watched Safety Not Guaranteed - It was good, it'll help if you like the respective actors from their tv shows too, so worth a watch.

Bullet To the Head - The Korean actor was really bad but imo I liked this one, over Die Hard 5 and The Last Stand. I have a soft spot for Sly plus Jason Momoa was a decent bad guy. If you've seen the other 2 mentioned then this is worth checking out.

Lars & The Real Girl - I liked this very much, Gosling is very good. The guy can emote well from his eyes if that sounds weird. Shame his new one is getting some bad reviews.

Edit**- dmaul1114 checked out your blu ray collection link, good collection. How is the Jesse James movie in your opinion, it's got a good cast and how big a role does Jeremy Renner have in it?

The Secret of Nimh. I'm positive I saw this movie as a child and at some point read the book in school (not sure if it was required reading or how I found it) and the movie really holds up well for me. There's no moral messages here and it's a very dark tone for a kid's movie, but the imagination and imagery is incredible.

I really miss 80's Hollywood. Coming off the Star Wars high they were infatuated with fantasy/sci-fi and willing to take risks. Movies today are too play it safe and kid friendly. :\

[quote name='dmaul1114']Dredd.

Meh. I liked it better when it was called The Raid: Redemption. Though I think that was made later, so if any thing it ripped Dredd off. Still liked the action, characters etc. much better in that one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah this has been talked about a bunch in this thread, Raid was basically based off a leaked Dredd script online. I thought Raid was too long, though Dredd was awesome.

[quote name='ClydeShebang']
Edit**- dmaul1114 checked out your blu ray collection link, good collection. How is the Jesse James movie in your opinion, it's got a good cast and how big a role does Jeremy Renner have in it?[/QUOTE]

It's a great movie IMO. Renner has a small role in it though.

[quote name='DestroVega']Yeah this has been talked about a bunch in this thread, Raid was basically based off a leaked Dredd script online. I thought Raid was too long, though Dredd was awesome.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, I wasn't big on either. Both were just entertaining, if mindless and overly violent, action flicks. Neither are movies I'd consider adding to my collection.

My opinion may well have flipped if I'd watched Dredd first as The Raid would have felt stale in that case.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's a great movie IMO. Renner has a small role in it though.

To be fair, I wasn't big on either. Both were just entertaining, if mindless and overly violent, action flicks. Neither are movies I'd consider adding to my collection.

My opinion may well have flipped if I'd watched Dredd first as The Raid would have felt stale in that case.[/QUOTE]

Action movies really aren't my thing, but I watched Dredd two nights in a row. For some reason it struck me.

The Great Gatsby - *sigh* I dunno, I need to read the book I guess because I feel like whatever the movie was trying to get me to feel/think about, it didn't happen. I think the way over the top presentation actually hurt the film and made it harder to pay attention to.

Star Trek: Into Darkness - The drama in the ending portions of the movie felt really drawn out, but otherwise this was a big step up from the first film. Themes were more interesting, good humour, sick firefights. Had a good time.

To those that have seen Gatsby, how is the Indian actor who plays Meyer Wolfenstein? I've been watching his movies since I was a kid so I'm quite curious how he fared in his first Hollywood film.

[quote name='ClydeShebang']To those that have seen Gatsby, how is the Indian actor who plays Meyer Wolfenstein? I've been watching his movies since I was a kid so I'm quite curious how he fared in his first Hollywood film.[/QUOTE]

He's good but has maybe 5 lines and is on screen for a few minutes.

[quote name='moon_knight']^Would you give the AvP movies 4's also? I'd give em each a 5 personally.[/QUOTE]

Haven't seen them.

[quote name='ClydeShebang']To those that have seen Gatsby, how is the Indian actor who plays Meyer Wolfenstein? I've been watching his movies since I was a kid so I'm quite curious how he fared in his first Hollywood film.[/QUOTE]
Saw the movie like a week ago and I don't remember this character.

Grave of the Fireflies. Blind bought this as I'm trying to fill out my Studio Ghibli collection and it was on sale. Gotta say, I honestly felt nothing watching this. I think I'm just desensitized to wartime adversity because of media and of course being disconnected from the rest of the world in that regard. I'd be singing a different tune if I were actually exposed to such events, like losing my house/family to firebombing but there's just no way to understand that emotion secondhand.

I also clearly don't understand Japanese pride, as I found it totally stupid
that the older brother would allow his sister to die of malnutrition over having to apologize and be taken back in
. That whole aspect of the story made me reject any sympathy further.

Now You See Me - Heard some pretty bad things about, so my expectations were low, but I ended up thoroughly enjoying it. It had a lot of charm and visual flair, but the ending fell kind of flat and opened up a lot of plot holes. If you're not one to over-analyze and can just overlook the ending, then I think you'll enjoy it.

Bodyguards and Assassins - 4/5 - Pretty good film. Some great action and tension. Donnie Yen is awesome. Reminds me of 13 Assassins (long build up to a very long action-packed sequence).

[quote name='Tsel']Now You See Me - Heard some pretty bad things about, so my expectations were low, but I ended up thoroughly enjoying it. It had a lot of charm and visual flair, but the ending fell kind of flat and opened up a lot of plot holes. If you're not one to over-analyze and can just overlook the ending, then I think you'll enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

I saw some of the negative reviews so I decided to read the plot spoiler on TheMovieSpoiler.com, it made me kind of glad I didn't take the time/money to go see the movie because the ending seemed hokey as all hell.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I saw some of the negative reviews so I decided to read the plot spoiler on TheMovieSpoiler.com, it made me kind of glad I didn't take the time/money to go see the movie because the ending seemed hokey as all hell.[/QUOTE]

In the moment, the ending didn't really seem all that bad, but the more you think about it, the worse it seems. It definitely takes a bit away from the rest of the movie, but I still have no regrets about going to see it.l

Trouble with the Curve shared the affliction of its main character: it lacked vision.

Last edited by a moderator:
21 and over, I found it a better watch than project x. For what it is it's not terrible it's just theres been films like this that have done it better.

V/H/S 2 - As good as the first, but less scary/creepy. Some very cool stuff though.
Less scary/creepy is a little disappointing, but I'm glad it's just as good. I thoroughly enjoyed the first. I found the format to be both unique and very intriguing. Excited to give this one a watch.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil was pretty damn awesome. I've heard so many good things about it and they were all true.

BkP2xM9.png

21 and over, I found it a better watch than project x. For what it is it's not terrible it's just theres been films like this that have done it better.
I just saw 21 and Over and while I enjoyed the film I liked Project X better. I felt like 21 was basically a cross of The Hangover and Project X with a dash of Vince Vaughn. I mean they had the same missing dude scenario and the dude was literally there with them the whole time. I kinda feel like Project X revelled more in it's absurdity.

BkP2xM9.png

I just saw 21 and Over and while I enjoyed the film I liked Project X better. I felt like 21 was basically a cross of The Hangover and Project X with a dash of Vince Vaughn. I mean they had the same missing dude scenario and the dude was literally there with them the whole time. I kinda feel like Project X revelled more in it's absurdity.
You make a solid point, it's probably the shaky cam or just how I felt at the time.

Watched Hangover 3. I enjoyed it a lot more than 2, tonally it's quite darker but I guess I welcomed that. Though I find Chow to be insufferable, this film was very much Zach's. The others were just supporting characters.

Unlike everyone else I wasn't too fond of the post-creds scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
V/H/S 2 - As good as the first, but less scary/creepy. Some very cool stuff though.
Less scary/creepy is a little disappointing, but I'm glad it's just as good. I thoroughly enjoyed the first. I found the format to be both unique and very intriguing. Excited to give this one a watch.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil was pretty damn awesome. I've heard so many good things about it and they were all true.
Forgot to post that I watched this as well and it was hilarious, I loved it.

Thought Warm Bodies was really good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEXHF76I-2o

i just saw this too and i think WB had an utterly fantastic opening 4 minutes above that i saw a few months ago. It made me overly excited for the movie for some reason. I read the book and saw the movie and honestly I think they did a rather good job of adapting the material. Would that Enders game be so well adapted.

But as a movie I think it was kinda weak in some areas. For instance why push music so hard in a film about Zombies? (but to be fair that flaw also existed in the book) The girl falls kinda fast for a zombie, though they make a large effort to keep as much of the relationship development that was in the book and it did help. Rob Corddry was surprisingly funny in his few scenes. I'd heard that and having read the book I didn't really expect it, but while he wasn't nearly the character I pictured, he worked.

Overall i guess the movie didn't really live up to the potential I saw in the trailers. But it was so solid for what it was that it's really hard to say I was disappointed in it. It's also as someone might expect from a "Zombie romance" film not what I would easily recommend to a Zombie fan.

The Fast and the Furious movies were on today, and they're showing the fifth movie right now.  I only saw the last hour of Tokyo Drift and I just laughed at how ridiculously stupid it was.  I liked that Han guy, and I've read that they made his death seem like a hit job according to the newest movie.  I wonder if it cheapened it or something...

I dislike the fast and furious movies but I did really enjoy fast five, so I'll be watching six on DVD.

Anyways gonna watch VHS 2 in half an hour, hope it's as good as some people said it is on the previous page.

bread's done
Back