Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Shaun of the Dead. One of my all time favorite comedy horror films. It's still fun to come back to every once in a good while. 

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind:

It had my attention from the first minute to the last. I loved the first 10 mins where Hayao,is slowly introducing this world to the audience;it's great stuff. I did have some issues such as the handling of the film's themes,which were a little ham-handed(same themes were handled much better in Princess Mononoke). And while I liked the character of Nausicaa,so was a too flawless at points. Minor issues for me though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Good,the Bad,the Weird:

Pure simple fun.The is just an excuse for a lot of action which looks great and shot extremely. The chase scene at the end is so OTT and fun.

The Good, The Bad, The Weird is great. I really need to watch that again sometime. Kim Jee Woon is one of my favourite Directors.

I watched the Bone Collector for the first time. I didn't know much about it, so had no idea Denzel's character was quadriplegic.. So figured it would be Denzel is the old school cop and Angelina the new rookie out together.. so I was half right I guess.

But I liked it, nothing groundbreaking but these 90s crime, murder, mystery films are always watchable. Anyone got any other suggestions I should watch?

Space Cop:

I love the RLM guys,but this was kinda of a chore to get through. Technical issues and limitations aside(understandable due to their limited resources),the jokes for the most part fell flat.Half of it was the delivery and the other half being the amount times they would run a joke into the ground.I did love the corny special effects which were very charming and the last act was fucking gold. It's a valiant effort.

Space Cop:

I love the RLM guys,but this was kinda of a chore to get through. Technical issues and limitations aside(understandable due to their limited resources),the jokes for the most part fell flat.Half of it was the delivery and the other half being the amount times they would run a joke into the ground.I did love the corny special effects which were very charming and the last act was fucking gold. It's a valiant effort.
I'm kind of torn if I should buy this or not. I love those guys, but because of the casual conversations they have. I'm not sure how well that would translate into a script. I might buy it anyway to show them some support.

I'm kind of torn if I should buy this or not. I love those guys, but because of the casual conversations they have. I'm not sure how well that would translate into a script. I might buy it anyway to show them some support.
It's worth watching once if your a fan. I haven't gotten around to the special features yet, such the commentary track for it(which am guessing is as entertaining as the other ones they made).

Saw The Big Short last night.  Really, really good movie, with some great analysis of how the housing market went to complete shit.

Steve Carrell, Christian Bale and Ryan Gosling all had great roles, plus great supporting cast roles.

Sucker Punch:

Worst film I've seen in quite awhile. Characters are one-note and the performances are terrible.All the dialogue is absolutely horrid. The action scenes that the main character dreams up make no sense at all(why is she imagining samurai's with miniguns?). The scenes themselves look like and play out like some shitty videogame cutscene,which is what happens when you do everything on green screen. Then the soundtrack which is made up of terrible cover songs,and is overbearing for a majority of the film.

I expected nothing less from a hack director like Zack Snyder.

Just finished The Last Witch Hunter. Honestly if you do not mind some bad dialogue here and there and can tolerate Vin Diesel it is not a bad movie at all.  The effects were well done. About to start The Visit...will report back. 

Edit: You may very well hate The Visit and I would not blame you but the last 20 minutes is worth it in my opinion.

Lazer Team I backed the film must be two years ago now? And got send my digital copy. It was exactly what I expected.. a very standard and predictable story. Some decent jokes here and there. If it wasn't Rooter Teeth I would never have watched this.

2 Guns it was whatever, I only watched it for Denzel. Predictable and dumb, but Denzel.

The Manchurian Candidate It was pretty good actually got a little silly sometimes. But an interesting concept. And Denzel was great.

The Woodsman and the Rain I really liked this movie, it just one of those perfect easy watches. Nice simply cinematography and music. Fun simple story.

Crimson Tide I don't think I have any finger nails left after this.. Great movie, a little predictable but still some awesome tense moments. I miss Tony Scott, his movies are so watchable. 

The Martian - Had a ton of fun watching this one.

Back to The Future - This was my first time watching the movie completely. I find Marty a little annoying as a character but Doc makes this movie great.

Deadpool - worth it. First Fox Marvel films I've watched since X3 put me off. Still plan on watching Days of Future Past in hopes that Apocalypse is good.

Saw Deadpool yesterday. Enjoyed it immensely. Not the end all, be all of superhero films others prop it up as, but still fun.

I watched The Birdcage last night and thought it was really good. Very funny movie.

Edit: Just got back from Deadpool and I thought it was awesome. It must have the most joke to minute ratio of any movie i've seen. Some were misses, alot were hits.

Bone Tomahawk:

Really good,slow-burn character piece at it's best.The characters are three-dimensional with excellent performances,and strong dialogue. The building of it's atmosphere and suspense is excellent. The bit of action you get is blunt,brutal,and straight to the point.

Sword of the Stranger:

Had me from the opening credits. Just a solid action film overall. The story does just enough to keep you interested(helps that the direction is great). The characters despite being a bunch of stock samurai film characters,had enough to them personality and performance-wise. The animation and action was just phenomenal.Am glad director Ando didn't bog the film with the usually OTT anime nonsense,like idiotic super powers. Great choice by ground it to reality.

It Follows I was turned off watching this because a) I am not into horror movies b) the premise seemed stupid. It wasn't a horror movie at all, not scary one bit. The idea of something following you is scary which

can change form and only been seen by you

but the execution was a little tame for me. The premise is still dumb, but I enjoyed it I guess. It's nicely shot and has some cool music too.

The Good Dinosaur:

No fucking idea what Pixar was trying to go for with this one.The film is tonally all over the place.The numerous rewrites are so damn obvious,like when the film all of a sudden becomes a John Ford film,along with a t-rex that happens to sound like John Wayne. The characters suck and it's pretty boring for the most part,with the only good thing being the animation which is waste on nothing.

Logan's Run:

Aged terribly.It's good for the first half,due to some of it's idea's and how bizarre it is at points(the Carousel scene for instance). Then last half comes and it just comes to a halt;it becomes sleep inducing at points.I love practical effects,but these have just aged terribly.It's so reliant on obvious miniatures,and the robot was just a joke. It's a film that really needs a remake.

Steve Jobs - good character piece and great acting from fassbender and Winslet, rogen was good to. Ultimately the film is pointless imo as there is no real plot. Worth a one time watch.

The Voices - 7/10 what an odd film. Ryan Reynolds heating his pets talk with the cat telling him to to some very bad things. Worth a watch for Reynolds performance.

Taxi Hunter. Pretty trashy movie starring Anthony Wong. Ng Man-Tat of Stephen Chow film fame plays one of the cops who's also the father to Athena Chu. The titular character doesn't do much hunting and it's more like a bloodier Death Wish sort of film. I guess Wong's further collaborations with director Herman Lau are more effed up.

Back to the Future II - Fun movie, but is actually my least favorite of the trilogy.

Back to the future III - Probably the best one. Loved the Wild West setting.

Foxcatcher - Channing Tatum surprised me in this movie. Great performance from him, Carrell and Ruffalo. It felt slow at times, but the movie felt very creepy and mostly entertaining.

American Mary - still don't know what to think of it.

The suicide theory - AWESOME FILM, if you have Netflix and wondering what to watch give this movie a try

The Quiet Family

xHCNahR.jpg

A long time ago I showed The Happiness of the Katakuri's to my class / friends - which they loved. So I figured i'd show them TQF because Happiness was heavily influenced by it. I've seen it once before but thoroughly enjoyed watching it again. I totally recommend checking it out - great dark comedy. And features a young Min-sik Choi and Kang-ho Song who are probably two of the best Korean actors around today. 

Also Kim Jee Wons directorial debut who is one of my favourite Korean directors too.

I watched Disney's Hercules, and then watched the Hercules TV show. Yup, the former is some clear and blatant Disneyfication, considering how they made the Gods sympathetic, which they were definitely not. I don't know why I liked the cartoon as a kid.

Finally saw Sicario.  I thought it was excellent overall. Very good pacing and the acting was solid all around.

edit:  The cinematography deserves a special mention, gives it an immersive feel.

Finally saw Sicario. I thought it was excellent overall. Very good pacing and the acting was solid all around.

edit: The cinematography deserves a special mention, gives it an immersive feel.
I watched it a couple weeks ago and I was thoroughly impressed. I had no idea it was going to be as good as it was. Damn shame it lost to The Revenant for cinematography.

Yeah Roger Deakins is a God. Beautiful movie, combine that with the awesome tense soundtrack and you're in for a good time.

My favourite shot of the movie was this one.. loved how the camera just stayed there for ages.

1-sicario.png

Birdman:

It didn't like it at first,and then ended up loving it by the end.It's a really intimate character study,and the cinematography does such an excellent job of giving you a personal look at this character. The cast was perfect,everyone gave a 110% to their roles.

13 Assassins:

Really good.Miike does a excellent setting up the conflict and characters.All building up to that epic 45min battle scene.The only stupid thing in that battle was the terrible CGI flaming bulls(I'd liked to know how they were able to set that up). Otherwise it's an epic samurai film.

Yeah Roger Deakins is a God. Beautiful movie, combine that with the awesome tense soundtrack and you're in for a good time.

My favourite shot of the movie was this one.. loved how the camera just stayed there for ages.

1-sicario.png
Yep, definitely more interesting than wide and sweeping nature shots the movie.

Look, don't get me wrong The Revenant wasn't a bad movie but I'm downright puzzled by the heaps of praise and awards it received. I didn't even think it was DiCaprio's most compelling acting performance either. Tom Hardy, on the other hand, was the person I felt deserved an award for that movie. You get to points where he's so absorbed into the character that you forget it's him playing that character.

13 Assassins:

Really good.Miike does a excellent setting up the conflict and characters.All building up to that epic 45min battle scene.The only stupid thing in that battle was the terrible CGI flaming bulls(I'd liked to know how they were able to set that up). Otherwise it's an epic samurai film.
My problem with that movie is it feels like they killed a lot more people than however many they said there were.

Yep, definitely more interesting than wide and sweeping nature shots the movie.

Look, don't get me wrong The Revenant wasn't a bad movie but I'm downright puzzled by the heaps of praise and awards it received. I didn't even think it was DiCaprio's most compelling acting performance either. Tom Hardy, on the other hand, was the person I felt deserved an award for that movie. You get to points where he's so absorbed into the character that you forget it's him playing that character.
The revenant is tricky one. I certainly enjoyed it, and it was thrilling while watching. I don't think I am going to really watch it again, maybe just the behind the scenes.

The soundtrack is the best part of the movie in my opinion which was disqualified from the recent movie awards which sucks. The cinematography was gorgeous, but at the same time I felt it was gorgeous for the sake of it. Leo was great, but Hardy was better.
13 Assassins:

Yeah, I need to watch this again. The last 45 minutes are relentless. I love it. I do remember those dodgy CGI bulls... haha.

The revenant is tricky one. I certainly enjoyed it, and it was thrilling while watching. I don't think I am going to really watch it again, maybe just the behind the scenes.

The soundtrack is the best part of the movie in my opinion which was disqualified from the recent movie awards which sucks. The cinematography was gorgeous, but at the same time I felt it was gorgeous for the sake of it. Leo was great, but Hardy was better.

Yeah, I need to watch this again. The last 45 minutes are relentless. I love it. I do remember those dodgy CGI bulls... haha.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying DiCaprio put in a bad performance; I'm just saying he wasn't the high point of that movie's acting.

I feel like it's indicative of the way the Academy Awards have gone where the award winner isn't the best of their respective category but rather the award winner is the person/organization that has the best reason for winning. Whether that's Hollywood politicking or the desire for the academy to send a message about something, it's not that these winners are always the best just the best reasons.

For The Revenant and DiCaprio it was, well he's an amazing actor and it's a true shame he hasn't won yet so we need to give him an award. A few years ago it was, well Crash has the best message we want to send which is that racism isn't dead. This year (and in full disclosure I haven't seen it so I can't attest to the quality) it feels as if Spotlight won because it was dealing with the catholic priest scandal and that's obviously something we should care about sending a message about.

The 6th Day:

One of the few Arnie films I never got around to seeing.The main issue is how it's trying to be this serious Sci-Fi about the ethics of cloning,but you can't take any of this shit seriously because of Arnie.It isn't boring though and pretty fun to laugh at(those scenes where Arnie is acting with his clone are gold). Had a lot of potential to be good Sci-Fi film and it's sadly wasted.

The Guest. 

Same guy that brought the equally impressive, You're Next, to cinema. I strongly recommend both movies. I will say the soundtrack to the Guest really impressed me as well. I actually went out and got it post movie. The movie oozes with style and is kind of an off the wall story. Regardless, I had a lot of fun with it and its definitely worth a watch.

The Guest is pretty good, it got a little goofy towards the end but I found it entertaining. I also liked the cool 80s vibe / visuals.

I watched Mother the other night. It was okay, had a few pretty good moments but I wouldn't put it on my favourite Korean movie list.

Into the Sun:

It's a pretty funny DTV Steven Seagal flick. What makes this one a little different from the others is that he actually wrote the script and was a producer,so it's even more of ego trip than usual. It's basically 2 hours of him showing how much of a weeaboo he is.He occasionally fights some Yakuza thugs and shops for swords at the "Japan Sword" shop(where he shows off how his 'great' use of the Japanese language). It's boring at points due to a lack of action,but it's worth watching just to laugh at how much of ego this man has.

I thought Sicario was crap and vastly overrated. I really wanted to like it but it just seemed pointless. I heard a lot of hype for the film and Emily blunt, whom I actually like but as I've said it didn't connect with me and dare I say it was boring.

Del Toro was good though.

Watched half of Hitman: Agent 47. It was one of the worst things I've watched in a while now. This movie was not Hitman in any way shape or form. I don't recall how many times I laughed during the first half. It really makes the first film look like a modern classic compared to this turd of a movie. 

Will we ever get a good movie based around Hitman? I doubt it, but I have hopes of one day seeing it happen. 

Elysium:

The only thing I really enjoyed about this was the visuals. Neil Bloomkamp really understands how to use CG proberly and should really stick to being a visual effects director,cause he is just a terrible writer. I didn't the heavy-handed premise of the rich living in space with them hogging the free medicare. The characters were pretty underdeveloped. Matt Damon was playing himself andJodie Foster was terribly miscast as the villain.The other villain,Kruger was just way too OTT(Neil only seems capable of writing cartoon character villains).

It's not even enjoyable as an action film since all of those scenes are plagued by the overuse of slo-mo and quick-cut editing. It's a heavy-handed piece of shit at the end of the day.

bread's done
Back